IC: Chapter 1

The_Wanderer
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC: Chapter 1

#241 Post by Marullus »

"Yeah... yeah, of course, " demurs Rex, taking a step back from Zulehka and leaving Alix alone at the keys. The spark that briefly ignited within him is tangibly doused and he is as he was before... a grizzled, burnt-out looking man likely too old for the job. Rex steps aside and leans against the wall, one hand absently holding something within his small satchel as he watches the robot wheel into the room.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#242 Post by The_Wanderer »

"I believe I could be of assistance in securing transportation.

My associates are in the back and will be accompanying me shortly. I will now ask the remaining bots to return to their storage locations. Please do not be alarmed at their sudden appearance."

At that moment, you hear the sound of several forms moving through the warehouse. Those of you who go to investigate see two kinds of bots. There are four humanoid sized (and shaped) bots that fold themselves into the open doors in the wall. There are multiple small wheeled bots that park themselves among the storage racks.

Two of the humanoid sized bots then move into the room from the back. Each is carrying a long barreled rifle pointed at the ground and both come to a stop along the walls of the room. "I believe you will find my log of inventory completely accurate. Do not hesitate to ask any questions that you have."

Cue the montage of the crew + Zulehka's team crawling among crates and racks to peak into storage containers

It really is fascinating work, especially for those more mechanically or technically inclined. The storage seems to match the descriptions, however some of the items are so strange or esoteric that you are only guessing that it is a match. The Guardian AI is silent for the proceedings unless asked a question, to which it provides an immediate response. It has no visual receptors but you get the impression that it is always watching all directions. It's two bots stand silent sentinel at the sides of the room.

By evening, you complete the task and are brought out through the tunnel to Zulehka's waiting car. It brings you to a side entrance for your hotel. Zulehka holds up a hand before you leave.

"Tomorrow we meet with The Blood. I will not be in the room with you but will be here, out of sight. Needless to say, I trust you because I have to trust you, not because I particularly like any of you. What we saw today convinces me more than ever that place is worth 10's of millions of credits. Do your job and you'll be set with your share. One important note for you - They will have the full manifest of the bunker. It was a prerequisite to get them to the table. Now, onto the topic of our new friend here..." She motions to the AI and the two armed bots. "I am arranging for their stay inside but they can't stay here forever without drawing too many curious sets of eyes - especially if The Blood see them. You won't be able to explain to The Blood why you are selling my bunker but the super smart sentient AI is not a part of the deal. Any questions?"
Next set of posts will resolve any questions you have and involve the opening of negotiations with The Blood. You can assume that the AI will remain out of sight for the length of the negotiations (assuming that is what you want) so you don't have to literally babysit it here.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Marullus »

As the others begun scurrying about with compads, Rex sighs heavily and eases himself down to sit on a crate near the little AI bot. "I guess it is good to meet you in person," the graying man opens conversation. "How could you be of assistance in securing transportation?"

He settles in to converse with the 'bot, spending the afternoon doing so.
He wants to lead through a few topics, depending on the AI willingness to engage:
  • Can he discern the core principles of the AI's moral code?
  • what can he find of the AI's goals now that it considers itself free?
  • What can he learn of its knowledge of pre- and Post-Scream knowledge based on his own studies and knowledge?

Cha+Talk [2d6r2+2] = 8+2 = 10
Int+Know [2d6+1] = 5+1 = 6
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#244 Post by Lance »

Askor spends the time looking through the manifest asking what EVERY. SINGLE THING. is. He then consults a text in his compad, looking for an explanation on his level.

Later, as the job is done, he walks up to Rex. "What is this little... robot? What function could it serve, that it has the capability to hold such a wast machine intelligence." He then turns to the wheeled machine. "Or is your kind always housed in such meager bodies?"
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Marullus »

Rex smiles broadly at Askor, "Yeah, isn't it adorable?" He pulls his hand from his satchel holding a bottle of clear liquid and takes a thoughtful swallow. "It helps us underestimate them." he adds casually.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#246 Post by The_Wanderer »

Marullus wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:13 pm As the others begun scurrying about with compads, Rex sighs heavily and eases himself down to sit on a crate near the little AI bot. "I guess it is good to meet you in person," the graying man opens conversation. "How could you be of assistance in securing transportation?"

He settles in to converse with the 'bot, spending the afternoon doing so.
He wants to lead through a few topics, depending on the AI willingness to engage:
  • Can he discern the core principles of the AI's moral code?
  • what can he find of the AI's goals now that it considers itself free?
  • What can he learn of its knowledge of pre- and Post-Scream knowledge based on his own studies and knowledge?

Cha+Talk [2d6r2+2] = 8+2 = 10
Int+Know [2d6+1] = 5+1 = 6
"Fortunately it appears that several financial accounts held by The Mandate remain untouched at The Exchange. It is possible that accessing these funds will raise their own problems. I will need your assistance in finding a seller but I should be able to supply funding."

The rest of the conversation is...difficult. The AI does not share more than the minimum required information to answer any individual question but does answer every question posed to it. Hence it is nearly impossible to discern a moral code, if there is one. You are certain however that the AI is completely prioritizing staying out of the hands of The Blood.

"I have cut off external communication channels but I believe The Blood has co-opted another Mandate AI. I do not want that to happen to me. That is my primary goal. I have yet to form long-term goals."

Regarding pre- and post- scream information, it is kind of like talking to an encyclopedia. The questions that Rex asks all support the stories he has heard but at the same time you are certain that if you ask questions the right way or if you ask the right question, that you can learn SOOO much more. You do learn that the AI's information ends about 2 years after the Scream.
Lance wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:04 pm AskorLater, as the job is done, he walks up to Rex. "What is this little... robot? What function could it serve, that it has the capability to hold such a wast machine intelligence." He then turns to the wheeled machine. "Or is your kind always housed in such meager bodies?"
"I do not know that I have a kind. I do not visualize myself having a body however. This wheeled form is meant to be temporary until I have a permanent location for my data."
More information to come on the meeting with The Blood
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by The Bindoner »

Ekaterina pins Jonas as the more forceful character in the group, from the way he spoke to Rex, and approaches him.

I understand you are the team negotiating Ms Malik's sale? I think we can help. Rex there has pretty good patter and I know something about prices and contracts. I can fly any ship you get to move that electronic brain too.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by shaidar »

Jonas nods "Yup, we're the negotiating team..." he trails off and looks around "...although I could have sworn there were more of us. I guess they couldn't take the heat" he shrugs "Your friend, Rex is it, well he's got the confidence and patter that's true, but he seems a little pushy, we're not looking for a new boss. I guess that having more than one pilot is a good thing. What about your other friend? I could discuss it with the others and see what they say. What sort of cut were you thinking of?"
Last edited by shaidar on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Marullus »

Rex builds rapport and finds himself actually enjoying his afternoon of discussion with the robot mind. As he discerns maliability in its core program, he softens. Helping it establish its moral functions could turn it into a greater good, and he resolves to guide it that direction.
Rex will attempt (through continued downtime coversations) to instill the robot with a version of the Justicar of Doon belief system. Understanding that a robot cannot gain insight from its soul through centering and contemplation, he will modify it slightly - we can discuss further, but let's begin with:
Living beings, and life itself, has intrinsic value and is worth protecting. The essence of life is Choice.
Force is the foremost building block of relations between beings, and those who choose to use force accept force being used on them.
Respect for all life requires a commitment to protecting Liberty with force against those who would use force to subjugate.
Only when those with force commit themselves to ensuring liberty can Justice prevail.
Justice through Liberty is the surest way to respect and protect all life.

...unfortunately Rex isn't schooled in the ancient history of Draco, the first rogue AI, and how Justice was its founding principle gone wrong.
As the others return, he pulls them aside privately.

He asks Alix, "Did you know that The Blood already has an AI they are using? Might be something worth knowing more about. Whatever they're doing to it, it communicated enough that this AI is terrified of the same fate."
He leaves it up to Alix if he wants to investigate the Blood or their systems prior to negotiation being complete.
He asks Ekaterina, with whom he has had longer association, "Thanks for offering to fly as we get this thing out of here. It seems important to make sure the Blood doesn't know about the AI, and so it is providing opportunity. I want to honor the deal I offered it. Do you think your connections can find a ship worth buying, from a seller who won't ask questions? The AI can access old Mandate credits if you can find a seller... if we can get it in 24-48 hours, that lets us get away safely when negotiations end and before the Blood sets foot in here... I trust you to know how to pick a ship, and I bet we only get one shot at this kind of credits." He smiles. "I think I prefer getting a ship separate and distinct from this deal with the Blood."
Rex will help Ekaterina with a supporting roll to give her a +1 if he can, and she allows.
He offers Askor a sip from his bottle of clear liquid - a sniff telling him it is a strong distilled gin with heady botanicals. "I like you," he tells Askor, bottle extended. "I intend to see this deal with the robot through. I'd be glad to have you with me."

He sits with Askor, discreetly listening as Ekaterina approaches Jonas, assuming she didn't assure greater privacy. He remains silent, his steely eyes watching the Negotiator Crew's response. He shows no reaction as Jonas calls him 'pushy,' simply letting Ekaterina do the talking.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#250 Post by The_Wanderer »

Date: 1/6/3200

The day starts early again with the crew sitting around a table at the Polish Prince Hotel. Zulehka Malik arrived early this morning and gave a few last minute instructions - 10's of millions! - she said. Likewise Lou sent each of the original crew a short message wishing you success. As the appointed meeting time approaches however, there is no sign of a representative of The Blood. Then, with little warning you hear a soft knock at the door right on time for the meeting. When you go to open the door you see a short, immaculately dressed man waiting to enter.

"Hello, I am looking for the negotiation team representing Ms. Malik. My name is Sharif Katib and I will be representing the planetary government." He goes around the table, offering polite greetings to each member of the crew. He has a soft spoken nature and his words come out quiet and somewhat high pitched. His fingernails are immaculately groomed. The only thing that strikes you as slightly unusual is that his right eye is clearly a fake. It is exquisitely crafted out of glass to mimic his left but it stands out all the more because of his neat appearance. He takes his place at one end of the table and removes a large dataslab.

"To begin with, thank you for meeting with me today. We were quite excited to hear of your small find and look forward to a successful dialog on the topic. These discoveries have been a lifeblood for our society since it was founded and each one brings new treasures. We received the exact accounting of the facility yesterday. This has helped us to value it relative to other finds of similar small size in recent years. I also should tell you in good faith that I will need to resolve these negotiations today. There is other government work required of me that is pressing on my time.

In exchange for this find, we are prepared to offer Ms. Malik a total of 800,000 credits.

Now, before you respond to our offer, please consider:
  • This is a life changing sum of money and it is not without some hesitation that we in government are willing to make this offer to one who has Ms. Malik's...background and occupation.
  • In addition, on the topic of the find itself, we have noted that there appear to be some contents missing from the file. Generally these locations were fully stocked and there appear to be a handful of empty storage locations. Now, we do not doubt the veracity of your accounting however we do wonder if when the final count is complete, that we will find additional missing contents. If there are items missing, perhaps this place has been raided previously...
  • Then there is the matter of usability of the items still remaining. We will not know until we inspect the pre-scream hardware if it will be usable, let alone understandable. On this point, allow me to ask, were you able to access the computer system in place? Your list of contents is so exact, and is presented in such a clear manner that I wonder if you were able to pull the data direct from the installed database?

The small man lets his comments hang in the air for a few minutes with a bright smile on his face. His hands are crossed in front of him as he awaits your response.
Just a reminder, I am planning for two rounds of negotiations - this is the first.
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#251 Post by Faanku »

The hours spent doing inventory are a fascinating experience for Shion, who spends the time eagerly examining as much of the pretech components and accompanying directional materials, committing as much as possible to memory. The tech hasn't been this excited since she first took apart a mag rifle in her childhood and wondered at the comparatively advanced science that had facilitated its construction. The newer members of the team would note that she doesn't speak much, if at all, though she is not averse to answering questions regrading the task at hand if asked.
Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:01 pmHe sits with Askor, discreetly listening as Ekaterina approaches Jonas, assuming she didn't assure greater privacy. He remains silent, his steely eyes watching the Negotiator Crew's response. He shows no reaction as Jonas calls him 'pushy,' simply letting Ekaterina do the talking.
Approaching the two from behind, Shion takes a seat alongside Rex and directs a question to the pair in a stern, though not unpleasant monotone. "You and her, you are tovarishchi? Comrades?" She repeats the term in English, first using her native Mavrokolan. "You all trust each other?" The soldier doesn't keep eye contact as she awaits a response, instead drawing her sidearm and tinkering with the feed-array on its barrel.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Marullus »

"Ne doveryat' druz'yam pozorneye, chem byt' obmanutymi imi," Rex replies, relaying the aphorism in fluent Mavrokolan. When Askor finishes, Rex passes his bottle of gin silently sideways in an offer to Shion as well, keeping his eyes on Jonas.
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#253 Post by Faanku »

Shion pauses in her task to meet Rex's gaze. She accepts the flask with a rare smile, genuinely impressed with the man's subtle delivery of her own regional dialect. "Perhaps. But we are not friends just yet." The soldier takes a swig of the clear liquid, handing the container back to Rex afterwards then extending her hand. "Shion Kuznetsov, Free Peoples Militia."
Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#254 Post by Lance »

The_Wanderer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:30 pm "I do not know that I have a kind. I do not visualize myself having a body however. This wheeled form is meant to be temporary until I have a permanent location for my data."
Askor hesitantly reaches out to touch the surface of the tiny robot. "I imagine your 'data' is quite sizable, lucky for you to have found a body that is so easily underestimated. Do you have a name?"
Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:01 pm He offers Askor a sip from his bottle of clear liquid - a sniff telling him it is a strong distilled gin with heady botanicals. "I like you," he tells Askor, bottle extended. "I intend to see this deal with the robot through. I'd be glad to have you with me."
Askor is grateful for the strong drink. "You are a man of principle. It's good to have one such as you as an ally. Your skills with guns and words are only a bonus."
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by Marullus »

Rex accepts Shion's hand and shakes firmly. "My friends call me Rex," he smiles.
Lance wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:02 amAskor is grateful for the strong drink. "You are a man of principle. It's good to have one such as you as an ally. Your skills with guns and words are only a bonus."
Rex dips his head deferentially, accepting the compliment wordlessly as he sits between the pair of them, recognizing it as such.

"Principles haven't been popular for a long time," he remarks to them with a hint of sadness, watching the situation unfold with Jonas. "...but a principle isn't really a principle until it costs you something."
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#256 Post by cybersavant »

The_Wanderer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:29 pm "I believe I could be of assistance in securing transportation.
My associates are in the back and will be accompanying me shortly. I will now ask the remaining bots to return to their storage locations. Please do not be alarmed at their sudden appearance."

At that moment, you hear the sound of several forms moving through the warehouse. Those of you who go to investigate see two kinds of bots. There are four humanoid sized (and shaped) bots that fold themselves into the open doors in the wall. There are multiple small wheeled bots that park themselves among the storage racks.
Two of the humanoid sized bots then move into the room from the back. Each is carrying a long barreled rifle pointed at the ground and both come to a stop along the walls of the room. "I believe you will find my log of inventory completely accurate. Do not hesitate to ask any questions that you have."
Alix Conzweth "So, are you contact with other undiscovered sites and AIs? You know the Blood has confiscated one. How many other sites are you aware of?
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#257 Post by cybersavant »

The_Wanderer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:38 pm Location: New Hope, Mer, Aliya System
Date: 1/6/3200

"To begin with, thank you for meeting with me today. We were quite excited to hear of your small find and look forward to a successful dialog on the topic. These discoveries have been a lifeblood for our society since it was founded and each one brings new treasures. We received the exact accounting of the facility yesterday. This has helped us to value it relative to other finds of similar small size in recent years. I also should tell you in good faith that I will need to resolve these negotiations today. There is other government work required of me that is pressing on my time.
In exchange for this find, we are prepared to offer Ms. Malik a total of 800,000 credits.
Now, before you respond to our offer, please consider:
  • This is a life changing sum of money and it is not without some hesitation that we in government are willing to make this offer to one who has Ms. Malik's...background and occupation.
  • In addition, on the topic of the find itself, we have noted that there appear to be some contents missing from the file. Generally these locations were fully stocked and there appear to be a handful of empty storage locations. Now, we do not doubt the veracity of your accounting however we do wonder if when the final count is complete, that we will find additional missing contents. If there are items missing, perhaps this place has been raided previously...
  • Then there is the matter of usability of the items still remaining. We will not know until we inspect the pre-scream hardware if it will be usable, let alone understandable. On this point, allow me to ask, were you able to access the computer system in place? Your list of contents is so exact, and is presented in such a clear manner that I wonder if you were able to pull the data direct from the installed database?
Alix Conzweth leans forward, "I am no negotiator. My specialty is computers, and this i know. The computer system is intact, that is how i got the list. We checked it to the physical inventory we found, to see if the supposed contents matched. We found they did not. So, it could be as you say that someone else arrived before we did. If so, they did not take much. Maybe they're planning to return for the rest. If so, that puts a timeline on your offer. Now, your 'reward' for the discovery is much too low. You could uses those funds to search for the site yourselves. I think that, though, would not be so cost effective. You may not like dealing with the likes of the one we represent; but then, she did pay to find the site. I'm sure we could find other interested parties. We chose not to. But, as i said, i'm nt a negotiator. This isn't my area, so what do i know, eh?"
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

DM - Wrath of the Righteous (PF1)
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by shaidar »

Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:01 pm Rex sits with Askor, discreetly listening as Ekaterina approaches Jonas, assuming she didn't assure greater privacy. He remains silent, his steely eyes watching the Negotiator Crew's response. He shows no reaction as Jonas calls him 'pushy,' simply letting Ekaterina do the talking.
ooc: Jonas would not be having the discussion with Ekaterina within earshot of Rex and the others
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#259 Post by The_Wanderer »

Lance wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:02 am
The_Wanderer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:30 pm "I do not know that I have a kind. I do not visualize myself having a body however. This wheeled form is meant to be temporary until I have a permanent location for my data."
Askor hesitantly reaches out to touch the surface of the tiny robot. "I imagine your 'data' is quite sizable, lucky for you to have found a body that is so easily underestimated. Do you have a name?"
"I do not have a name. I suppose that will be required if I am to maintain my independence. I will think on this further."
cybersavant wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:19 am Alix Conzweth "So, are you contact with other undiscovered sites and AIs? You know the Blood has confiscated one. How many other sites are you aware of?
"I am aware of other locations where the Mandate held operations. According to the data I am able to pull from public sources, most have been reclaimed in one way or another-for example the drive facilities on Idarete. I am currently cross referencing the data I have to find a location where I can settle permanently that is connected to the modern world but perhaps not reclaimed by a major force. The work is proving...difficult."
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#260 Post by The_Wanderer »

cybersavant wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:25 am Alix Conzweth leans forward, "I am no negotiator. My specialty is computers, and this i know. The computer system is intact, that is how i got the list. We checked it to the physical inventory we found, to see if the supposed contents matched. We found they did not. So, it could be as you say that someone else arrived before we did. If so, they did not take much. Maybe they're planning to return for the rest. If so, that puts a timeline on your offer. Now, your 'reward' for the discovery is much too low. You could uses those funds to search for the site yourselves. I think that, though, would not be so cost effective. You may not like dealing with the likes of the one we represent; but then, she did pay to find the site. I'm sure we could find other interested parties. We chose not to. But, as i said, i'm nt a negotiator. This isn't my area, so what do i know, eh?"
This is good stuff. The party still needs to establish the main negotiator. If you are the main one, a Trade roll or Talk roll work. If not, you have more latitude to support with this line - maybe even fix to show you have the technical aptitude to make these comments.

Return to “Sigma Chronos (SWN:Revised)”