Re: OOC Discussion

#101 Post by rossik »

im back, and will try to follow up tomorrow
shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#102 Post by shroomofinsanity »

If there ends up being a check left for whatever reason I am available for cooking, maybe turning my lizard into rations.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Marullus »

You have some flexibility in camp and can more often decide how hard you want your actions to be. You also get to strategize how you want to arrange tests.

Haar Cooks a Lizard: he is a real chef (Cook 4). He can turn the lizard into one (Ob1), two (Ob2), or three (Ob3) portions of lizard jerky (i.e. Preserved Rations).

For other actions...

Durgenor overcomes Fear: with his skin of wine and Grimm's inspirational story, he already has +2D. Recovery needs an Ob3 Will test (he has Will 3, so +2D means currently 5D).

Tancred rests from Exhaustion: he needs to pass an Ob3 Health test (he has Health 3). +1D if someone loans him a cloak for a blanket to keep him warm.

Ganna makes a Poultice: it is an Ob1 Healer test for Exhausted and an Ob2 test for afraid. Success grants a +1D to the tests above. (So it takes 2 Checks, one for the Poultice and one for recovery.)

Ganna brews elixir: if he fails his test it is only Ob2 for Ganna to use Alchemist to remove the trait for him. It is Ob4 for her to make an elixir for Exhausted. She starts with Alchemist 3 +1D help from your cat familiar if you work it in. Pharmaceuticals are good - success with the elixir removes the need for a recovery test (only one check) or let's you do it as a backup if they fail their recovery test.

Clough makes a Map: the small area so far, which he personally surveyed is Ob2. He is starting with Cartographer 2. Success means you don't need to test to make it back up the cliff because you know how to traverse back up your pitons accurately.

I will provide obstacles for other actions you explore. You need to spend all four checks and nobody can use two in a row.
shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#104 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Well the most important thing is getting rid of conditions, then map making, then I'd say cooking some rations. What are everyone else's thoughts?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Rex »

Ganna will try an elixir, the easier one to start.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by Enoch »

I think I might change my Instinct--Tancred is unable to Help Cu with Survival checks to find a camp, and as Bill pointed out, accepting help from Cu doesn't meaningfully increase Tancred's chances and just exposes Cu to the consequences.

I think it's possible to write one where Cu uses Mentor to give Tancred tests for Lore Master (teaching him about the Old Gods), though that's mostly for RP; I doubt opening the skill would be particularly useful for Tancred. Alternately, if Tancred is interested in learning, Cu could give him tests in Survivalist.

Otherwise, I could write an Instinct about making poultices in camp.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#107 Post by rossik »

i dont think i can help anyone, can i?
i will try to get rid of my fear, then. Durganor must kill that goblin. He can see his smirk, taunting him!
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by drpete »

Marullus wrote: With the late additions, you have 4 Checks. You must take turns spending them. When all four are spent, Camp Phase ends and we return to the Adventure Phase.
Are these checks that are "shared" by the group, or are they to be used/distributed by those that "earned" them?

Grimm might try to recall anything he knows about this place of power (which I think would be Loremaster, right?) It seems like kinda a stretch, though, so maybe it would be lower priority than trying to "gear up" for whatever is below? Is there value in trying something like this, even if it seems likely to fail?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Marullus »

Technically, the person who earned it gets to decide if he spends it or who he gives it to. That kind of "at the table" negotiating is tougher on a forum, so I encourage OOC deliberation here and allow looser accounting if players want it.

That said, the first decision appears to be whether Durganor tries to recover from his fear himself (5D v Ob3, including the bonuses from drinking wine and being inspired by Grimm) and earns a test to improve his Will score, or whether he accepts the pharmaceutical route and Ganna tests first for her Elixir against fear (4d v Ob2 for Ganna, Durganor doesn't test). There's a roleplay implication there for Durganor that he should consider and post IC about.

I encourage Loremaster tests. :) It feeds the story premise here. Of you are worried about failing, you can work together with Cu Aislin IC, who is geared to spreading ancient knowledge.

As for Cu Aislin's instinct, I think mentoring those who wish to know old ways is great for story and roleplay and may become the glue here. If it feeds your belief it is an easy persona point every ~10 turns but you can hit that with spent Checks, too. Perhaps "Always share the Old Ways and Places" which let's you justify either Loremaster or Mentor tests per scene.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by Enoch »

I like that instinct.
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#111 Post by rossik »

sorry guys, im a little lost with the system, heheh

1- we are at camp stage. here we can heal our status, right? So, should i make mys tests now?
2- can i refill my wineskin with water?
3- can i help anyone with any of my skills?
4- i've found a large sack, but forgot what space it takes on my baggage, and how much can it take
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Marullus »

rossik wrote:sorry guys, im a little lost with the system, heheh
1- we are at camp stage. here we can heal our status, right? So, should i make mys tests now?
2- can i refill my wineskin with water?
3- can i help anyone with any of my skills?
4- i've found a large sack, but forgot what space it takes on my baggage, and how much can it take
No worries. We're working to learn together. :)

1) You need to either test Will to recover or you need to drink an elixir made by Ganna. Neither you nor Ganna have a check to spend, so the group needs to agree on that course of action. I'm looking for your IC input on the roleplay aspect of that decision -
That said, the first decision appears to be whether Durganor tries to recover from his fear himself (5D v Ob3, including the bonuses from drinking wine and being inspired by Grimm) and earns a test to improve his Will score, or whether he accepts the pharmaceutical route and Ganna tests first for her Elixir against fear (4d v Ob2 for Ganna, Durganor doesn't test). There's a roleplay implication there for Durganor that he should consider and post IC about.
2) Yes, you can refill with water freely as we're by the river. (Cu Aislin can also recover from Thirsty and do the same if he posts it IC.)
3) Probably - I will address that as I post about each test. You should roleplay how you help after I say you can; you need to post about it IC to get the Advancement on your own skill.
4) You should edit your post here to update it. Your skin can now hold water instead of wine. You are holding the sack with one hand and your lantern with the other hand. The large sack has six slots. You can put two slots in it and hold it with one hand. If you put 3-6 slots of stuff in it, it will take both hands.

Planning Camp
Doing this on the forum looks like it is going a little bumpy. As above, there's normally some group negotiation and strategy before you make IC posts. Making IC posts about your actions is normally a commitment. As DrPete pointed out, the person who earned the check has some ownership of it, so I think we need to use that to deconflict and move forward here. I've established a tracking log here to help all of us.

We have four declared actions in camp right now (and one OOC suggestion):
  • Haar wants to Persuade the goblin to learn about edibles.
  • Ganna wants to brew an Elixir against Fear.
  • Clough wants to make a map.
  • Tancred wants to rest and do a Health test to overcome Exhausted with (+1D from Ganna's cloak).
  • Grimm has suggested OOC using Loremaster to recall knowledge about the Place of Power your looking for.
The checks were earned by Clough, Cu Aislin, Cu Aislin, and Tancred.

So, we'll resolve this way:
  • Clough and Tancred are free to spend their own check on their desired action.
  • Clough is making an Ob2 test with his Cartographer 2 skill. He cannot use a trait against himself to earn a check while in camp, but can spend his traits positively. Ganna can help with Scholar and Tancred can help with Pathfinder. If Durganor is recovered first, he can help with Cartographer or Pathfinder. Clough can go ahead and roll and roleplay when ready.
  • Tancred needs to pass an Ob3 Health Test with his Health 3 attribute, +1D from Ganna's cloak, plus a trait if he wishes. No help. Roll and roleplay when ready.
  • Cu Aislin has the other two checks and no declared actions. He gets to weigh in on the other camp actions as an arbiter for Haar's conversation, Ganna's Elixir, Durganor's Afraid, or Grimm or Cu Aislin using Loremaster.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#113 Post by Enoch »

Cu will share his extra check with Durganor, so he can test to recover.

The way checks work is that you can only spend a 2nd check if everyone else has taken one (like Marullus said, it's burdensome to do them in order on the forums, but if there are people without checks I can't make 2 checks).

EDIT: Marullus is correct, and I misread the rules. A character can't use two checks in a row--it doesn't say anything about everyone getting a check. So I could, if I wanted, use both my checks myself. Nonetheless, I'll leave it as-is, and give my second check to Durganor.
Last edited by Enoch on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Marullus »

Then Durgenor overcomes Fear.

He can test 5D (+1D if he uses a trait besides Jaded) against Ob3. No help.

If Durgenor decides IC to use pharmaceuticals instead of his internal Will to overcome his fears, he can give the check to Ganna and drink the resulting Elixir. (Ob2 with Alchemist 3 plus help from the cat, Haar's Alchemist and from Grimm and Cu Aislin for Loremaster.)

Cu Aislin can use his last check as he wishes.
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#115 Post by rossik »

guys, asking thinking about whats best for the group, should i take the test with the best chances?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Rex »

No clue.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Marullus »

Both options have a good chance of success, so it is best as an IC decision.

Grimm cheered him up with a story and you consumed your wine. I recommend you use your "Born of Earth and Stone" trait for +1D... His Dwarfy nature helps him overcome fear. If he recovers himself he is rolling 6 dice and needs 3 successes, which is good odds. If Ganna rolls she has up to 7 dice and needs 2 successes, which is rediculously easy.

The IC choice is if he replies on his own will or uses the drugs as a crutch. Both have valid arguments and the choice relates to his Goal and XP awards, which is why I am encouraging the IC roleplay of the choice. It also has matching OOC ramifications - skills rise by using them. If Durgenor is struggling to grow a stronger Will, his Will score will go up. If he takes the easy way with the elixir then Ganna becomes a better pharmacist and Durganor remains weak willed. It's your story and both are fun.

Does that make sense?
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Rex »

You have obviously never seen how the dice roller treats me. :D
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#119 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Rex wrote:You have obviously never seen how the dice roller treats me. :D
A year or so ago I was running Torchbearer for my D&D group, one of the guys had to pass an Obs 2 or 3 skill test, Alchemy I think. I don't remember how he did it but he ended up with 11 dice (or 13?) - Skill, Help, Nature. He failed.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Marullus »

Light in the Darkness

Managing light sources is a critical part of the Torchbearer game. Check your character sheets for your supplies of Candles, Torches, and Lanterns/Oil.

Each light source will provide good light, dim light, and a duration it lasts.
Screenshot_20200312-193524.png
Screenshot_20200312-193524.png (225.24 KiB) Viewed 1819 times
Both Clough and Durganor are carrying lanterns which provides good light for six of your eight party members (including the goblin) if you light them. If anyone is left in dim light that needs to be decided.

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”