OOC Discussion

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#81 Post by Marullus »

Your search is by Instinct. (Durganor is always watching for the useful bit of flotsam.) It should be done now, before camp. You need to tell me what he is keeping an eye out for:
- Items specifically from the goblin shaman (hard)
- An item that has cash value (hard)
- A useful item for some kind of challenge you can expect to face, such as something that makes you less afraid (moderate)
- Any random item of potential use to you (easy)

I will give you a difficulty and you will roll dice.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by Enoch »

I'm sorry if I sounded upset- I'm not. I want to make sure that everyone understands how the system works so they get as much enjoyment as possible. As you note, the moment-to-moment play can be very different from D&D, especially 2e+.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by rossik »

i think Durganor is used to a life that he must take every advantage he can to make through the day, so he will take anything he thinks is useful for him
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Stirling »

Sorry am a bit confused. You narrated Durganor's search action and roll, 'as the others chat with Guhnk and fish', so this advances the grind as if Clough searched the stream bank?

I chose not to search so as to keep the fresh traits but if the dwarf search takes that away would Clough have been better off searching anyway or helping either if the other actions with his dungeoneering in some way or does 'standing guard of on watch' count.
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by drpete »

Hi Stirling,

If you reread the last few posts, you'll see discussion of "instincts".

If a character has an instinct, it let's them do something without advancing the grind. If a character has an instinct to always be scavenging, they can scavenge whenever they want without advancing the grind.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Marullus »

Yep - this post should help explain it:
viewtopic.php?f=828&t=9236&start=60#p460535
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Stirling »

Yes thank you. I think I got the initial confusion from the Instinct: Ob 2 roll without piecing it with the topic.

So I guess the next group action is to make Camp inside the cavern or with time on our side press on exploring with Guhnk. If the penalties for continuing are minimal or can be addressed by a future safe camp, Clough is willing to continue.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Marullus »

Camping "outdoors" in the mouth of the cave is MUCH safer than pushing onward and trying to camp in "underground." They trigger different tables.

You already made the decision that the next groups action is to camp and I think that's wise to stick with.

I want to allow for people to play with their non-advancing tests before camp:
  • Haar can search for ingredients if he likes
  • Cu Aislin casts his Sacrifice spell
  • (Ganna casts if she wishes)
  • If Grimm considers the goblin to be an Audience, he can tell a story and sway him to some purpose
  • Tancred and Cu Aislin make camp safe
  • Then you make camp and spend your checks (currently two) per discussion above
  • Either in camp or after camp, Clough's desire to make a map is a sound choice.
All of those are independent tests so the order doesn't matter (except that camp comes last).
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#89 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Cú Aislin's instinct and mine seem to be related, "Always look for a suitable site for camping." and "Always prepare a hidden camp"; so I think we should be able to help each other do the Survivalist test to prepare a "safer" camp. Cú Aislin has Survivalist but I do not, so if I did the test it would use Beginner's Luck. So it would probably be better if Cú did the tests until I acquire the skill (Nature = 3 so just 3 tests).

I would suggest a camp outside of the cave, protected by an overhang of the cliff, and sufficiently above the water just in case there's any sudden flooding.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
So, that leaves posts from Grimm and Cu Aislin?

Grimm can storytell the goblin, or post that he's moving on. Just want to make sure he has an opportunity to voice action.

Preparing camp: if Tancred does it with Beginner's Luck, then Cu Aislin can help him. If Cu Aislin does it, Tancred cannot help him or benefit because he lacks the skill. That is potentially a argument that it is better for the group to have him help you learn.

Cu Aislin needs to sacrifice the fish, then whatever works between you two for your "safe camp" test is fine.
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by Enoch »

I'm perfectly happy to let Tancred make the check and help him, if desired. That way we'll both get checks (though we'll be slightly less likely to be successful).
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Marullus »

Okay, back to you, Bill! Prepare the camp and then I will change the phase.
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#93 Post by rossik »

Guys, I'm low on internet. I will try to post, but if I can't till tomorrow, feel free to npc me
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Okay, back to you, Bill! Prepare the camp and then I will change the phase.
*Bump*
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I thought Cu was going to, since he has Survivalist and I would have to use Beginner's Luck.

I'll create the post shortly, swamped at work fighting software glitches at the moment.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Preparing camp: if Tancred does it with Beginner's Luck, then Cu Aislin can help him. If Cu Aislin does it, Tancred cannot help him or benefit because he lacks the skill. That is potentially a argument that it is better for the group to have him help you learn.

Cu Aislin needs to sacrifice the fish, then whatever works between you two for your "safe camp" test is fine.
Enoch wrote:I'm perfectly happy to let Tancred make the check and help him, if desired. That way we'll both get checks (though we'll be slightly less likely to be successful).
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#97 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

What's the Obs?

Survivalist Factors:
Making Camp: typical, unsafe, dangerous
Camp Amenities: shelter, water source, concealment
Breadth: the adventuring party, large group

typical + concealment + party = 5?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Marullus »

I needed you to declare or roleplay an intent first. :) Your intent is to find total concealment for the whole party. This area is Unsafe. Ob 6.
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#99 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I updated the IC thread
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Marullus »

That was a really long week! I have been traveling for work. I hope to update tomorrow / before Monday.

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”