[closed - wait list] Yoon Suin OD&D/BX

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[closed - wait list] Yoon Suin OD&D/BX

#1 Post by ffilz »

EDIT:

The interest points clearly to Yoon Suin, I'm actually going to try BX but informed by OD&D play.

CHOICES:

I've an itch to get a 2nd OD&D play by post going and this is a way initial query for what folks might be interested in.

Possibility 1: Empire of the Petal Throne. Using the original EPT rules (well, for me, the Different Worlds reprint).

Possibility 2: Yoon Suin using OD&D plus Thieves from Greyhawk, maybe variable damage from Greyhawk, not sure yet about exactly what bits to pull in (my existing OD&D campaign is OD&D with Thieves and 1d6 damage for all weapons).

Possibility 3: This is an option that requires some development by me. From 2003-2006 or so I ran Arcana Unearthed and later Arcana Evolved. I've entertained the idea of back porting the AU/AE races and classes to OD&D which would be quite something considering how much they leaned on the D&D 3.x class levels mechanism and feats. The idea would be to grab the essence from each race and class and render that in a more OD&D-like form.

Possibility 4: boring but interesting - start another OD&D campaign in The Wilderlands of High Fantasy or Blackmoor or even some other world (Outdoor Survival map? Blackmarsh?)

This may or may not fly. I may be taking on too much to add another play by post game...

Frank
Last edited by ffilz on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Interest check - OD&Dish game possibilities

#2 Post by rossik »

number 2!
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Pulpatoon »

I'd love to play a Yoon-Suin game!
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by redwarrior »

#2 or #4!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Welcome Vince!
Just an FYI, your first two posts need to be approved by a Moderator. After that you're good to go and post without delay :D
Again, welcome and be well,
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
Modric
Guide
Guide

#6 Post by Modric »

1 or 2
Blackrazor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Blackrazor »

1 would be terrific. 2 is cool.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by ffilz »

I'm seeing quite a pattern of interest towards Yoon Suin.

I will take the book to the beach with me later this week and come back on Monday with a proposal and we can actually sign players up and get started.

I think I will be able to run Yoon Suin without disrupting the other games I run.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by ffilz »

To continue conversation I have a couple points of discussion.

First, my play by post previously used OD&D books 1-3 plus the thief and paladin but not the attribute mods, damage by weapon or other bits. Other classes from later publications could have also been available.

For this game I’m considering Moldvay/Cook BX.

Second I’m thinking of starting The Mountains of the Moon and Sughd. I’ve always been inspired by pictures of monasteries and forts perched on cliffs.

Oh one more thing. Do you folks want all native, all foreigners or a mix?
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Pulpatoon »

I'm enthusiastic for OD&D or B/X!

My gut impulse is to play a native, but if I were GM'ing, I'd probably want to run a bunch of foreigners getting to know Yoon-Suin.
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by rossik »

all options seems fine. i vote for the simple ones for you, as a DM
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by redwarrior »

I'm brand new to Yoon-Suin, as well as play by post. It's been forever since I played any D&D variant - currently in an in-person deadlands campaign, so I'm all for whatever's easiest and flows best. As long as there are fighters and mages, I can probably hang. :-)
rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by rossik »

im familiar with Basic, and play one or two ODD games via forum. the only yoon suin stuff i know is the Fear of the Black Dragon podcast material
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [Recruiting] Yoon Suin (was interest check/OD&Dish games

#14 Post by ffilz »

I've opened the forum and added you all to the group. In the next day or two, I will fill in some more information and we can start chargen. In the meantime, feel free to continue discussion here or in the game forum.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by ffilz »

Captain Kinkajou wrote:Hey Frank, this looks like fun. Is there still a spot open for me? I’d really like to go adventuring into Yoon Suin and, with Starbeard stepping back to accommodate parenthood, I have some space for another game.
There's definitely room for you, added you to the group.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by ffilz »

ffilz wrote:
Captain Kinkajou wrote:Hey Frank, this looks like fun. Is there still a spot open for me? I’d really like to go adventuring into Yoon Suin and, with Starbeard stepping back to accommodate parenthood, I have some space for another game.
There's definitely room for you, added you to the group.
Everyone who has responded so far in this thread should be added to the group. See y'all over in the game forum.

Frank
RobinGoodfellow1976
Squire
Squire

Re: [Recruiting 1 more slot] Yoon Suin OD&D/BX

#19 Post by RobinGoodfellow1976 »

Is this where i put an inquiry of interest.
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [Recruiting 1 more slot] Yoon Suin OD&D/BX

#20 Post by ffilz »

RobinGoodfellow1976 wrote:Is this where i put an inquiry of interest.
Yes this is the place. If you are interested I’ll add you to the access for the sub-forum.

Return to “Looking for players or games”