Group 1: Buying and Selling

DM: Dave
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Group 1: Buying and Selling

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Buying and Selling
Let's manage all requests to purchase or sell items here. You don't need to know the name of the shop, or shopkeeper, just the item(s) you're looking to purchase (using the Equipment lists from the Player's Handbook as your guide) or the item(s) you're looking to sell.

To help expedite any transactions, please include as much detail up front when making your request. For instance, if you're looking to negotiate prices, please include a brief overview of your attempt, and provide either a Persuasion or Intimidate check, as appropriate.

This will still require a bit of role-play (e.g. if a desired item isn't available, the cost of the desired item if it is, etc...), but I can better guide the action the more information I have up front.
:?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Buying and Selling

#2 Post by drpete »

Oskar would like to visit the armorer to buy a chain shirt and sell his leather armor, if possible.

He would also like to see if he can buy masons tools and/or carpenters tools from the general store.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rumble is looking for a wagon, a horse to pull it, a chest, and manacles.

If he can find said things, he'd rather not pay full price and decides to play up his craziness to get the merchant(s) to give him a deal to get rid of him. Not a huge deal, mind you, say 10%. List price: wagon (35), draft horse (50), manacles (2), chest (5).

Rumble walks into the blacksmiths. "I need to chain someone up. Can you do that? They don't need to be comfortable, they won't be awake most of the time." Rumble growls at the blacksmith. "Also, a chest. So they don't see it coming."
Intimidate: [1d20] = 4+1=5 And the Jam isn't helping his case.
Rumble finds the stable and enters. He stalks over to a nearby horse and starts whispering to it. "Yes. Yes. You'll do nicely. You want to help Rumble, don't you?" He finds an employee to talk to as well. "Hi. I need a wagon. And maybe a horse to pull it. Unless you think I should pull it?"
Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Gerrin »

Tannaris Vethykos

Tannaris is looking to offload his leather armor
Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Quallxor wants to buy 2 daggars.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

Oskar, Rumble, Tannaris, and Quallxor all have plans for their newly acquired coins. As the group's plans still involve setting out for Greenest early this new day, their shopping excursions begin soon after breakfast.

While splitting up would make the most efficient use of their time, Dahyrst is a small enough town that they feel comfortable all traveling together to each stop -- which should total no more than five: a smithy, a tanner, the general store, the stable, and potentially a place to find adventuring gear, if necessary.

First Stop: Drida's Ironworks
The group approaches a spacious, single-story, windowless stone building with three chimneys; each billowing smoke most of the day. A steel-framed wooden sign reading "COME IN." hangs outside the front door, which is kept slightly ajar.

Oskar, who has the most business at this location, peers inside and notices a mature, but muscular dwarven woman with a long gray beard clanging a small hammer against a sheet of steel; rotating and repositioning it on an anvil with each strike. After a few moments, she grabs the steel with a set of tongs, heats it in one of her two burning forges, pounds it a few more times, then douses it into a barrel of water. A sizzling sound accompanies a blast of steam which lasts for a moment or two, until she withdraws her current project and sets it on a workstation, which is cluttered with hammers, chisels, fullers, swages, tongs, and other tools of the trade.

She glances over, wiping the sweat from her brow with a gloved hand, leaving behind a streak of dirt, or soot. She removes her heavy apron and gloves, uncovering heavily stained clothes, which seem fitting. She wipes her face with a towel, then pulls loose a hair tie to releases her long gray hair from the ponytail it was held in. She lifts the silver-rimmed pair of glasses from the bridge of her nose to rest on her forehead, exposing her hazel eyes.

"One at a time," she says, pointing to Oskar first. "How can I help you?" she asks in a no-nonsense manner, sizing up her dwarven patron as she identifies herself as Drida, the namesake.

"You're in luck," she starts when Oskar indicates his interest in a chain shirt. "Nothing against the rest of you --" she says, indicating the dragonborn, tabaxi, elf, and half-orc, "-- but most of my work is crafted to fit the superior dwarven frame," She leads the group deeper into her studio to a section where a dozen or so racks stand; each displaying various completed projects. "Ahh, just as I thought -- here, I have two shirts which should fit." Sure enough, one chain shirt is almost perfectly tailored for Oskar's frame. "It's one of my finest projects," she says, pausing to consider the price to extend. "I can maybe part with this one for... say... 58 gold and a few silver."

Drida does not have a set of mason's tools, but she does carpenter's. "For those... eh, they've been sitting there for longer than I can remember... I can give 'em to you for a gold. So, what is that? 59 gold and 3 silver for the both."

The dwarven smithy admits her interest in the either suit of leather armor is low, and they may have more luck with the town tanner, at the Burnt Edges, but at least makes an offer for each. "Four yours," she says, examining Oskar's suit first. "I can probably do 4 gold and 5 silver... that... that would make your total 54 gold and 8 silver."

Considering the suit Tannaris is looking to offload, Drida shrugs. "Same offer I made to your friend, here -- 4 gold and 5 silver."

As Oskar and Tannaris consider their offers, Quallxor submits his request for a pair of daggers. "These are fine steel," she says, presenting the dwarven fighter one of eight daggers she has available for sale. "Half a gold each -- or two for 1 gold."

Rumble inquires about a set of manacles. Drida digs around a few drawers, searching, convinced she had a pair, but is unable to come up with them. "My assistant must have sold 'em," she admits. "I have plenty of chain links around which I can offer you -- say, 1 gold per 10-feet."

Second Stop: Rina's Oddities
After their business is concluded at Drida's Ironworks, their next closest stop is the general store -- Rina's Oddities. There, Rumble searches for his manacles, or a chest, but comes up empty.

Third Stop: Fences Forever
The unmistakable smell of animals and manure grows stronger as the group approaches Fences Forever, the town's stables. While the scent is less than ideal, the sight is quite different. As Rumble approaches, he spots the stable master -- Brosta, an exceptionally beautiful half-orc with long, flowing golden hair and hazel eyes. She wears fitted leather armor with cobalt blue accents, and has a light hammer hooked to her svelte waist on one side and a light crossbow on the other, even while she works. She flashes a perfect smile as she notices Rumble, leading the group, approach. "Can I help you?" she asks; sincerely.

"Here, let me show you what we have --" she offers after the tabaxi expresses his interest in a horse and wagon. "Times are hard," she shares on the walk, then pulls open the stable doors to reveal a dozen or so stalls, at least half of them empty. "Looks like Daisy is the last draft horse we have left," she says, leading Rumble to the second stall on the left, where a white horse wearing yellow reigns and matching yellow saddle blanket resides. Despite the softer sounding name, Daisy has a very tall stature and extremely muscular build. "She's almost 18 hands, and I'm guessing close to 2,000 pounds." Brosta offers. "And only four years old, I should add."

"And our only available wagon or cart is right over here,"
she says, leading Rumble and the group back out the stable and around the corner. There, a heavy covered wagon rests. It looks sturdy, and well maintained, and not overly used.

"My father will kill me for this, but I like you --" she says, again flashing her near perfect smile at the half-cat, and casually running her finger down the barbarian's arm. "I can part with Daisy for 55 gold. The wagon -- it'll be... say, 47 gold and a few silver."

"Daisy will come fully tacked with a pack saddle and a week of feed."

Fourth Stop: Best Laid Plans
Rumble's search for a chest ends here -- and he manages to secure a surprisingly good deal, where they have two chests, each a bit on the smaller side, but being sold for only 1 gold piece each.

Fifth Stop: Burnt Edges
The town tanner will only be necessary if Oskar and/or Tannaris don't accept Drida's offer at the smithy.

---

Alright, that's where we stand with the initial offers. You guys all have sucky charisma's! :lol:

Each contact has a different tolerance for negotiations, but you're welcome to try.

I wasn't sure exactly how these shopping trips would work, but I'm thinking they'll be fully managed here -- meaning, feel free to respond directly in this topic with your responses to the presented offers. We'll role-play the entire shopping trip here.
-- Project --

-- DM --
drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

Oskar is fine with this deal. He compliments the workmanship of the chain shirt, and is happy to have the carpenter's tools.
Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Group 1: Buying and Selling

#8 Post by Gerrin »

Tannaris Vethykos

Tannaris is fine with the offer of 4 gold and 5 silver.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rumble

Rumble is not a subtle person. He is obviously immediately interested in what the half-orc has to offer. "Daisy, huh? Such a pretty name. Named after you, maybe?" He purrs gently at the beautiful stable-rep.
He makes a mental calculation and frowns. "That's obviously a great price, and I wouldn't want you to get in trouble with your father, but I only have 98 gold." Rumble smiles and winks at her. "Perhaps we can come to some sort of agreement?"

He turns and whispers at the others. "Help me out. Can you spot me some coin? I'll pay you back." He turns back to look Brosta up and down, then back at the others. "I'll pay you back double."
Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by Gerrin »

Tannaris Vethykos

Tannaris leans in, "How much do you need?"
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rumble

"10 gold would do it." Rumble whispers back.
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Code: Select all

I'm assuming this happens. Just, please, the characters involved, just update your character sheets accordingly. 
-- Project --

-- DM --
Gerrin
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#13 Post by Gerrin »

Tannaris Vethykos

Tannaris fishes ten gold coins out and slips them to Rumble.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rumble

With the extra gold from his wingman, Rumble makes some purchases. He buys the wagon, Daisy, and two small chests.
~105g deducted

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 1 (5e)”