Episode 0: Breburh

DM: Dave
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Group 2, Episode 0: Breburh

#21 Post by Pulpatoon »

Kañ-Demir laughs along with Urth's assesment. "Horsefeathers and hot radishes! Your "solid plan" involves the last-minute recruitment of stranger with a passing semblance? How do you know we're not the worst stripe of egg-collectors, ourselves?

"What else does this plan rely on? Comets striking down the enemy? A well-timed rain of antelope? No wonder your organization doesn't want its name associated with it."

Leaning back against his chair, he stage whispers to Grimbul, "Mind you, I wouldn't say no to seeing a dragon's egg. Or, even better, a hatchling! I could wrestle a hatchling!"
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grimbul chuckles to himself then replies "Eh well that sounds fair enough by me. Dwarf merchant hmm well should be fine negotiating with me own kin. But what the devil would they want a dragon egg for? Sounds idiotic if you ask me. Eh oh well no questioning if they're paying I'm in."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e
BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by BearSiren817 »

Catarina’s tail flickers quickly back and forth. Her eyes light up, “A red dragon’s egg? I’ve never seen one before. While studying, I read that red dragons can go to extreme lengths to ensure that every other red dragon in the area knows that they are inferior to the red dragon spreading the news. They will often burn down only half a village or let a single adventurer flee from a battle so that word of their power spreads throughout the region. Not only will this anger other red dragons but it is also like a shining beacon to adventurers & treasure hunters.”

“If we go on this mission I request to be the one adventurer who flees.” Catarina smirks.
Azalea, 1st level Rogue, Dave’s Urban Campaign
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#24 Post by Scott308 »

Dureau Sathaos

Do you know who the buyers are, or what they want with the egg? I respect that time is of the essence, but we still need to have some idea what we may be getting in to before we commit.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by dmw71 »

Hooded Stranger
"I understand you still have questions, and I can answer them along the way," the hooded stranger says. "At least the lookalike is cooperative, which is honestly all I need. The rest of you, if you want to support your friend, can pose as bodyguards, assistants, porters, or whatever else you're comfortable with. Now, please, follow me." With that, the stranger rises and, nodding at Grimbul, proceeds to leave through the front door.

Merey returns from the kitchen just in time to watch the last of the group depart. She takes a sip of Urth's wine before getting scolded by her mother.

Along the route, the hooded stranger talks, still in his disguised deep voice, along the way, leading the group out of town to the north along a well-traveled path.

"The merchant had a sack of diamonds which he was going to use for the purchase. We've kept those, but here --" he says, handing Grimbul a sack filled with what appear to be diamonds. "Tell me if those won't pass as real?" While they're near worthless in actual value, they will almost certainly pass for the real thing.

"Now, the buyers and sellers have never met, and never exchanged names. The sellers have only shared the location they chose for the exchange, and the buyers have only shared that the point person will be of the dwarven persuasion. So --" he says, patting Grimbul on the shoulder, "-- you don't actually look like the real merchant, but close enough." he says with a wink. "If a dwarf shows up at the requested location, with a sack full of diamonds, requesting the exact item for sale -- I'm sure you'll pass."

"There's another thing," he says, speaking quickly as he hurries to the drop point. He reaches into a pocket and produced a small silver, finger-length pin or broach. "I'm going to need someone -- it doesn't need to be our merchant here, and is probably better if it's not -- to plant this pin on someone -- anyone -- from the seller's crew. This pin has been infused with magic and will allow us to track them once the transaction has been completed."

"The person entrusted with this pin should ideally be one that won't draw unnecessary attention to themselves, so maybe not the cat,"
he says, eyeing Catarina. "No offense," he adds, then holds the pin out for a hopeful volunteer.

"Now, once this exchange has taken place, you are to return with the egg to the Topaz Dagger, where I will be waiting for you. I will make arrangements with Madame Kathil to make sure your room and lodging expenses are included as part of your payment for undertaking this task."

"The rest of the reward funds are safely being held back in the inn,"
he says. "I apologize for not having them on me, but I wasn't going to bring them to the meet with me, and I wasn't expecting to find you... then, in my last minute, I spotted your group."

Assuming the group continues, after approximately 15 minutes, the hooded stranger deviates from the main path and heads west, through a patch of heavy brush.

"The amount of your reward will be considerable, but will also depend upon the successful completion of your task. If the egg is returned unharmed and the pin is successfully planted... well, you will be fairly compensated, I can assure you. Now..."

He pauses -- both his movement and his speech -- and addresses the party in a serious tone; his voice lacking some of the false deepness.

"It should go without saying that the health and survival of the sellers is an important condition, right? Being able to track them and learn their whereabouts is perhaps more important than even the egg."

"Understood?"

Once the party agrees, he continues to wade through the thick brush for another minute or two until he halts again, urging the group into silence. Just beyond your current position is a clearing, and the stranger points to what appears to be an abandoned farmhouse approximately 100 yards in.

"That is where the meet is to take place," he says.

"Be safe, and good luck."

---

I will leave the stranger in place for another round of questions, if needed, but otherwise he is set to retreat back to the inn for your return.

Actions?

P.S.
Prestidigitation can only be used for one effect at a time. ;)

---

Date: 07 Kythorn 1489
Time: 20:21
  • Sunrise: 05:56
  • Sunset: 21:03
Moon: Half
Temperature
  • Low: 55°
  • High: 71°
Conditions
  • Precipitation: None
    Wind:
Light Sources
  • None
Known Conditions
  • None
Spells in Effect:
  • None
---

Character Status
  • BearSiren817 | Dr. Catarina Jones | Tabaxi | Rogue (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Female | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' (Climb: 20') | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
    • Passive Senses
      • Perception: 16
      • Investigation: 12
      • Insight: 14
      Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarvish, Thieves’ Cant
      Spells: None.

Features:
      • Feline Agility: 1
        • When you move on your turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn.
        • Recovery: You can’t use it again until you move 0 feet on one of your turns.
      • Cat’s Claws:
        • You have a climbing speed of 20 feet.
        • You deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier (1d4-1).
      • 1st: Expertise (Perception, Stealth)
      • 1st: Sneak Attack (1d6)
      • 2nd: --
      Background: Far Traveler
      • Feature: All Eyes on You
        • Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and people.
  • Computer +1 | Urth Stormwind | Human | Warlock (1) | Alignment: Lawful Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 10 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: No
  • GreyWolfVT | Grimbul Graybeard | Dwarf (Hill) | Ranger (1) | Alignment: Neutral Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d10) | HP: 14 | AC: 15 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
  • Pulpatoon | Kañ-Demir | | Dwarf (Hill) | Monk (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 11 | AC: 15 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
  • Scott308 | Dureau Sathaos | Human | Cleric (1) | Alignment: Lawful Neutral | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 10 | AC: 18 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: No
[/list]
-- DM --
Simple Idea, Zero Prep (OSRIC)

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
(Status: Archived)

-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Pulpatoon »

Kañ-Demir takes the pin. "Doctor Jones is the most likely to succeed, but if you feel she will stand out too much, I suppose it's up to me. The others are all books and armor."

Turning to Grimbul, he adds, "I go along with this folly because you seem eager. I think this man is a hooded fool, and his promised treasure is as likely to be a basket of turnips. But I can entertain an afternoon's lark, so long as it is no more than that. I do not wish to be delayed in my journey to Greenest."
GreyWolfVT

#27 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grimbul takes the sack of diamons and is momentarily distracted eyes examining the contents of the sack he then shakes his head coming out of a state of concentration he listens to Kañ-Demir "Could be true nough."

Ability/Skill/Stat Check Rolls [1d20] = 14
roll if needed for examining the diamonds to try and determine their value.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Computer +1 »

Urth Stormwind

When Urth sees the group start moving he mutters curses and runs to the room to grab his pack. He angrily stuffs the black rod into his backpack before sliding the pack over his shoulders. He grabs the mace and takes a longing look at the bed before hurring to catch up.

Once with the group he falls in and marches along in silence.

Before the stranger leaves Urth gets in close and attempts to Intimidate him.
[1d20] = 16
If this is some kind of scam or if this goes south, you will answer for it. Understand?
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by dmw71 »

Decisions?
It is currently approaching the darkest stages of twilight, or dusk, which present only dim lighting conditions.

The night air is chill, but calm.

Just beyond the area of tall brush you're currently positioned in, which provides you near complete concealment, extends a clearing; a wide area of almost completely flat land with a total absence of trees, shrubs, or other natural objects which could offer any measure of cover. It's obvious why the seller or sellers of the egg picked this location.

An estimated 100 yards into this clearing stands what appears to be an abandoned two-story wood barn or farm house.

"Doctor Jones is the most likely to succeed, but if you feel she will stand out too much, I suppose it's up to me." Kañ-Demir says, accepting the small silver pin, maybe two inches long, pointed on one end and twisted into a loop on the other. It's simple, and inconspicuous... which, given its intended purpose, is probably ideal.

"Please, I do not know your party dynamics nearly as well as you do," the hooded stranger confesses. "How you plan to go about the task is completely up to you." he adds. Before the stranger is able to depart as planned, Urth, agitated, steps to his face. "If this is some kind of scam, or if this goes south, you will answer for it! Understand?" he cautions the hooded figure using a disapproving, forceful voice. He is pleased with the outcome, as the man just quickly mutters something incoherently, then quickly darts back from the direction he led the group, presumably to return to the inn.

His departure now affords the group some privacy to discuss their plans and strategies, or even abandoning the request all together.

Once the stranger is out of earshot, Kañ-Demir turns to his fellow dwarven comrade in arms. "I go along with this folly because you seem eager,", he says, "But I think this man is a hooded fool, and his promised treasure is as likely to be a basket of turnips!"
Grimbul, examining the collection of fake diamonds, shakes his head as he breaks his concentration. "You could be right," he grumbles before turning his attention back to the fake stones. The ranger notes that while the stranger claimed they had no actual value, their perceived value must be considerable.

"But I can entertain an evening's lark, so long as it is no more than that. I do not wish to be delayed in my journey to Greenest." Kañ-Demir adds, continuing his protest.

---

Alright, guys. We're still waiting for a response from Dr Jones and Dureau, but you're welcome to continue to debate whether the task is even worth it?

Your current position has you concealed by the heavy brush, but only steps away from a wide open area, with the farm house roughly 300 feet away.

If you do ultimately decide to undertake this task, the next step will be to approach the location of the exchange.
  • If/once you're ready, I will need everyone to make a Dexterity (Steath) check, please.
  • The nice thing is, because you're in dim light, the entire area is considered to be lightly obscured, which means Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight will be made at disadvantage. This applies to you guys as well, but for the defenders of the location (e.g. sellers), it will make it more difficult for them to detect you.

If you elect to bypass this request, which you're definitely welcome to do, just let me know.
  • It's approaching full nightfall, and you'll need rest or face exhaustion.
  • You're roughly 20 minutes north of Breburh, so you can easily return there, or make camp somewhere... the choice is yours.
  • You suspect Greenest itself is still a full day of travel away.

Actions?

---

Time: 20:22
Temperature
Conditions
    Wind:
Light Sources
  • None
Known Conditions
  • None
Spells in Effect:
  • None
---

Character Status
  • BearSiren817 | Dr. Catarina Jones | Tabaxi | Rogue (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Female | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 9 | AC: 14 | SP: 30' (Climb: 20') | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
    • Passive Senses

Features:
        • When you move on your turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn.
      • Cat’s Claws:
        • Your accent, mannerisms, figures of speech, and perhaps even your appearance all mark you as foreign. Curious glances are directed your way wherever you go, which can be a nuisance, but you also gain the friendly interest of scholars and others intrigued by far-off lands, to say nothing of everyday folk who are eager to hear stories of your homeland.

You can parley this attention into access to people and places you might not otherwise have, for you and your traveling companions. Noble lords, scholars, and merchant princes, to name a few, might be interested in hearing about your distant homeland and people.
  • Computer +1 | Urth Stormwind | Human | Warlock (1) | Alignment: Lawful Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 10 | AC: 12 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: No
  • GreyWolfVT | Grimbul Graybeard | Dwarf (Hill) | Ranger (1) | Alignment: Neutral Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d10) | HP: 14 | AC: 15 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
  • Pulpatoon | Kañ-Demir | | Dwarf (Hill) | Monk (1) | Alignment: Chaotic Good | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 11 | AC: 15 | SP: 25' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: Yes | Inspiration: No
  • Scott308 | Dureau Sathaos | Human | Cleric (1) | Alignment: Lawful Neutral | Gender: Male | HD: 1 (1d8) | HP: 10 | AC: 18 | SP: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Inspiration: No
[/list]
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Pulpatoon »

Kañ-Demir admires the little pin, and plans strategy with his companions. "You know that I am no pick pocket. I will seek an opportunity to get near the others, perhaps when inspecting the egg. When I do so, a distraction would be very helpful. Urth, do you think you could occupy their attention for a moment or two?"

The agile monk then goes on to inspire absolutely no confidence in his companions by blundering around like a drunkard with bells his pockets.
Stealth: [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5
GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grimbul clears his throat and chimes in "I'm willing to go along with this but I have me doubts that these will pass any inspection by the merchant, I aint never met one that didn't at least give the payment a check to ensure it was authentic. Unless one of ya has a way to make these look more like the real deal I'm thinking we'll have a fight on our hands so we best be ready." he says indicating the sack of "diamonds" as it were.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Pulpatoon »

Kañ-Demir: "Should a fight break out, remember to lose. Our patron is eager to track them."
Scott308

#33 Post by Scott308 »

Dureau Sathaos

I am willing to go along with this plan, as I feel no good can come from those trafficking in Dragon eggs.
Stealth: [1d20+2] = 12+2 = 14; Disadvantage: [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11
Characters with Darkvision would be able to see in the dim light as if it were bright light out to 60'.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

GreyWolfVT

#34 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grimbul "Eh I say we just go for it. But be prepared and expect things to go bad." the dwarf says getting a little excited and talking a bit louder than perhaps he should and banging a fist on the table.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Computer +1 »

Urth Stormwind

Urth's frown grows deeper and deeper. We have already make the walk, lets just get this over with. He nods at Kan-Demir's first suggestion I will try to create a distraction sound, I suggest a few others react to it and sell it to give Kan a chance. He then shakes his head at Kan-Demir's second thought, If a fight breaks out then I will not fight to lose. We will subdue them and bring them in for justice.

[1d20] = 8
BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#36 Post by BearSiren817 »

“I’m willing to go in advance and use my climbing skills to get into the loft area. Or rafters. To keep a look out as well as not to provoke any extra nerves.”

Stealth:
[1d20+7] = 15+7 = 22

Edit added stealth
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#37 Post by dmw71 »

The Approach
"I'm no pick pocket," Kañ-Demir states, admiring the little pin while contemplating his strategy for planting it on one of the sellers with his companions. "I will seek an opportunity to get near the others, perhaps when inspecting the egg... when I do so, a distraction would be very helpful."

"Do you think you could occupy their attention for a moment or two?"
he turns, making the request of Urth. The warlock's frown grows deeper, but he nods his agreement and accepts the role of distraction creator.

While the stones didn't appear to be anything but genuine after his own initial inspection, Grimbul expresses a concern over the merchant exposing them as fakes. "I ain't never met one that didn't at least give the payment a check to ensure it was authentic," he grumbles. "If that happens, I'm thinking we'll have a fight on our hands, so we best be ready." he adds.

"Should a fight break out, remember to lose. Our patron is eager to track them." Kañ-Demir reminds him after the subject of conflict is raised. "If a fight does break out, I will not fight to lose," Urth protests. "We will subdue them and bring them in for justice."

Dureau and Catarina indicate their readiness, with Cat indicating an interest or willingness to put her climbing skills to use and work her way into the loft area. Once they arrive.

With at least tentative plans in place, the group begins their approach.

The group can't help but feel a sense of nakedness after stepping out of their area of concealment and into the wide open, but their focus is quickly restored with their mission now underway.

The terrain presents little difficulty to cross, but some dried out plants or weeds create an occasional crunching sound under the pressure of a misplaced footstep.

But nothing. No reaction.

You now find yourselves -- either collected in a group, or spread out, depending upon your approach -- roughly 15-feet away from the nearest wall of the barn.

The structure itself is a simple, wooden structure, approximately 30-feet wide and 80-feet long, with two stories. Many of the wooden planks making up the outer wall are warped or rotten, likely reflecting years of neglect. No lights shine from within, and there is no hint of occupancy.

Centered in this nearest wall is a tall double-wide barn door which hangs almost completely ajar. Open wide enough where you're afforded a cursory look inside.

The interior walls on either side support a handful of rusted farm implements leaning against them. A few interior walls or partitions extend inward at various intervals, creating definite blind spots.

The floors are covered with straw, which is patchy in areas, which also emits a very distinct and pungent odor.

The full two-story entry of the barn appears to be wide open, floor-to-ceiling space. The second story, or loft, appears to begin approximately half way back, or roughly 40-feet inside, and is an estimated 10-feet above the barn floor. This loft begins roughly half way inside, and presumably runs the rest of the distance to the rear of the structure.

At least from what you can tell from your position just outside the structure, there does not appear to be a ladder or set of stairs leading you to this second level, leaving you to believe they're likely further inside, and out of your current range of vision.

---

Actions?

P.S. I have my in-person game tonight, so I will probably be largely unavailable until late.

---

Time: 20:25
Temperature
Conditions
    Wind:
Light Sources
  • None
Known Conditions
  • None
Spells in Effect:
  • None
---

Character Status
    • Passive Senses

Features:
      • Cat’s Claws:

[/list]

Rolls
  • None
-- DM --

-- Project --

-- DM --
Scott308

#38 Post by Scott308 »

Dureau Sathaos

Hmm. You think if someone was gonna sell something for a sack full of diamonds, they'd be a bit more...visible.

GreyWolfVT

#39 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grimbul raises an eyebrow and scratches his beard for a moment with his one free hand "Yeah you'd think they'd be on time and in sight." the ranger decides to try and look for some sort of tracks or sign that someone recently has been here.

Ability/Skill/Stat Check Rolls [1d20] = 15

BearSiren817
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#40 Post by BearSiren817 »

Catarina’s tail lifts her robe slightly once again signaling her intent of being potentially aggressive. “I don’t like this at all but the thought of a red dragon’s egg really makes me want to follow through.” She even lets out a tiny purr of excitement. If we decide to go in her first instinct will be to look for areas of cover hiding potential threats including the loft.

Perception:
[1d20+6] = 1+6 = 7

She however is momentarily distracted by a mouse.

Return to “Tyranny of Dragons - Group 2 (5e)”