OOC / Questions?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC / Questions?

#21 Post by rredmond »

hey Migellito, I don't have the books in front of me, but if the fighter THAC0 increasing every level for ftrs is an optional rule, I'm going to use it (it was optional in the DMG and I've always liked it) so your to hit numbers should get better by one. Also, sometimes it needs clarification, your extra attack always comes on odd number rounds. So starting with Round 1 - 2 attacks, 1 attack, 2 attacks, 1 attack, etc.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by migellito »

rredmond wrote:hey Migellito, I don't have the books in front of me, but if the fighter THAC0 increasing every level for ftrs is an optional rule, I'm going to use it (it was optional in the DMG and I've always liked it) so your to hit numbers should get better by one. Also, sometimes it needs clarification, your extra attack always comes on odd number rounds. So starting with Round 1 - 2 attacks, 1 attack, 2 attacks, 1 attack, etc.
Excellent, thanks!
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Argennian »

A late but hearty welcome aboard, Migellito! :P

Yep, the OSRIC thac0 chart for fighters does use the 5% progression system option from the 1E dmg.

Ron, had a question in regards to the process of determining spells. It states in OSRIC that the magic user will start with 4 known spells:
1: must be Read Magic
2: chosen by the player from the list of 1st level spells
3 & 4: should be determined randomly from the 1st level spells
Note: It also states that a magic user will automatically receive 1 new spell of the highest spell level that he/she may cast upon acquiring a new level of experience.

Will you determine this or would you like me to roll for them online? In addition, with a 14 Int, there's a 55% chance that my PC will understand spells. Should I roll this percentile for starting spells 3 & 4 to determine if even capable of having them, as I would if I was getting a new spell when leveling?

Also, if the PC does not discover a spell (from scroll, found spellbook, etc.) during adventuring, how would you determine which one he/she can get? Not sure if this is determined by what might (or might not!) be available, picked or rolled randomly from the spell list, prior to the 55% chance to understand.

In addition, I need to get a traveling(?) spellbook sorted out and all relevant material components for known spells once I can establish which spells are known/can be cast.

Thanks in advance and a big pre-game Huzzah! for the upcoming fun! :D
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by rredmond »

take Read Magic and then pick two first level spells that are automatic. Then randomly choose spells (taking into account your chance to know at this point) until you get four more 1st level spells.
then choose a 2nd level (not subject to chance to know) spell, then randomly (again taking into account you % to know) choose 2 more 2nd level spells. As for picking up new spells it'll be part of training and then some bartering can come into play as well.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:
Choose one per player, once one is chosen, no one else can take that package.
Sooo.... is it going to be the same process for the second round of picks? ;)

And... *sigh* I guess I'll take the ceramic dog for $78, Pat.
rredmond wrote:Heh, good question, we'll have to see how that pans out! :P
For some reason I thought that we were only picking once from the list. Should I take this to mean that we will have more than just one pick from the list, ie - a second round of picks?? :o

I was just curious here as there are up to 3 separate choices which are attractive (2 of which have items that are proprietary to the magic user class). With 4 PCs and 10 Magic Items on the list, that would ensure, if we all took turns picking until the list was gone, that we would each have 2 picks and 2 of the 4 would have 3 picks.

I'm cool either way and am also happy to let ToniXX have a pick before I take one. I believe Alethan and Migellito have already made picks. I'm at the local cafe using the free wifi to get some more work done on me character.I rolled some good spells but my hit points could've been a bit better! :lol: I wasn't going to take a magic armor pick, but now... ;)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#26 Post by Alethan »

I was just pushing the envelope (you'll find I do this a lot, but I never EXPECT to get what I push for; that way, it is a boon when I get it and I'm not disappointed when I don't). You should probably make your pick like you just have one choice.

Don't get me wrong - it would be cool if we got a second round pick (and I definitely have a few things in mind to chose from - one that I should PROBABLY go with per I think everyone should have a magical weapon at our levels, and some others that would just be really cool to have for character enhancement). But it doesn't sound like that's what Ron had in mind (though I don't mind taking credit for planting the seed) when he first came up with the list.

If he does allow us to take a second pick (after all have made their first), then it seems most fair if we do leave the last two choices unselected and lost to the party instead of letting two get a third pick.

Also keep in mind that we can trade a little after we're done picking if we end up with something that doesn't benefit us. For example, the Leather +1 wouldn't be bad for Till, but the arrows are useless, so if he'd chosen that one, he would give the arrows to someone who could use them. Likewise with the bracers and the wand of fire.

It is interesting to note there is a magical weapon for each of us in the list (single-use items, like the arrows and javelins aside). If we'd gone straight classes (fighter, mu, cleric, thief), there are also armour choices for each of us. With Argen's multi-class selection, however, that part gets thrown off a little, but not by much.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by rredmond »

Sorry guys I ws just thinking that second round picks would be as characters died :D

I used OSRIC's npc builder as well as correlating with pregens from A1, L1 and an OSRIC module I can't remember. There were some chances for better that never panned out, but you never know what you'll find on the way.
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#28 Post by migellito »

rredmond wrote:Sorry guys I ws just thinking that second round picks would be as characters died :D

I used OSRIC's npc builder as well as correlating with pregens from A1, L1 and an OSRIC module I can't remember. There were some chances for better that never panned out, but you never know what you'll find on the way.
hehe, no worries!
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by Alethan »

Yeah, I'm perfectly happy with my one choice. It might not be a magical weapon, but the ability to silently come up behind someone gives me a much better To Hit (+4) and damage (1d6x3) than a dagger +1 ever would.

And who doesn't like rings on their fingers?
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#30 Post by ToniXX »

I'm here! I'm getting over a nasty cold, so I've been knocked out this weekend. I've posted my character, but he still needs a little work. Once you've read this, he should be complete. Rredmond, please look over my character and let me know if I've missed anything or did anything else incorrectly.

This should be fun! I work from home so I'm in front of my computer a LOT, so my post frequency should be acceptable (I'll try not to post too much!) I'm looking forward to playing... Thanks for having me!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Argennian »

A hearty Hail and Welcome, ToniXX! :P

I'm stoked for the game and really excited to actually play with the Osric system. And rredmond's choice of modules looks to be top drawer to boot! :D

I'm still working on my character too. Not sure when game start is but I hope to have everything finished up in the next day or two. Now which bloody magic item package do I pick!!

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by Alethan »

Argennian wrote:Now which bloody magic item package do I pick!!
@ 10 HP, I'd highly consider the armour if I were you... We want you want to be hit as infrequently as possible. One thing I like about these OSRIC rules is their stance on plate armour. I've always had similar thoughts about the availability and viability of full plate armour - its nice to see a rule system that puts these limitations into play, as it were. So magical chain mail is probably the best our fighter-types should expect to see for some time.

(BTW, 10 HP seems like a horribly low amount to start off with, considering you have six total levels! But... the math looks right. It just sucks!)
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

Oh, never mind. Looks like ToniXX took the chain +1 and wand package.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:I'm here! I'm getting over a nasty cold, so I've been knocked out this weekend. I've posted my character, but he still needs a little work. Once you've read this, he should be complete. Rredmond, please look over my character and let me know if I've missed anything or did anything else incorrectly.

This should be fun! I work from home so I'm in front of my computer a LOT, so my post frequency should be acceptable (I'll try not to post too much!) I'm looking forward to playing... Thanks for having me!
Welcome to the team, ToniXX! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

I'm in the same boat as you. My fault is to over-post rather than under-post. Another nice thing about having just four players in the party is that we shouldn't have to wait TOO long when we need a consensus from the group. Sometimes in a party with eight or more players, the wait time can be upwards of 48 to 72 hours - WAY too long for my taste!

BTW, thanks for doing such a great job admin'ing the TUS forums! Quick dice-rolling question for you... is there any way to calculate a multiplier or divisor into a dice-rolling formula? I like to make macros for my most common rolls and I was wondering how to macro the 3x damage for backstabbing. I tried for 15 minutes but couldn't figure out how to make the dice calculate a damage roll and then multiply it by 3 automatically.
rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by rredmond »

Characters are looking good. I was thinking the 3 posts a week because I know that I can do that. I don't want to overpromise. If we go faster, that's fine too. I spend about 30% - 50% of my time out on the road, so that impinges on my computer time. My agency is purchasing a new electronic medical record, and tell me my job will get "oh so much easier" as we get paperless. But that doesn't come into effect for my programs until into April; also I run homes for adolescents with behavioral issues... I can't see a hole in the wall from the record, or that the staff didn't put the lid on the garbarge can and it's all over our back yard.... so I'm not sure what they're thinking. My programs go from Southern Jersey to about mid State. A hike no matter what you do. We'll see, oh so much easier my tuckus.

I'm still gathering stuff up, and don't have all the module yet :) so I'm working on that piece as well. We'll likely start before I have everything, but the (small) OCD DM part of me wants everything in place and read and analyzed before play begins. sigh.
ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#36 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:
Welcome to the team, ToniXX! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

I'm in the same boat as you. My fault is to over-post rather than under-post. Another nice thing about having just four players in the party is that we shouldn't have to wait TOO long when we need a consensus from the group. Sometimes in a party with eight or more players, the wait time can be upwards of 48 to 72 hours - WAY too long for my taste!

BTW, thanks for doing such a great job admin'ing the TUS forums! Quick dice-rolling question for you... is there any way to calculate a multiplier or divisor into a dice-rolling formula? I like to make macros for my most common rolls and I was wondering how to macro the 3x damage for backstabbing. I tried for 15 minutes but couldn't figure out how to make the dice calculate a damage roll and then multiply it by 3 automatically.
Well met, my fellow adventurers... greetings all around!

Good point on the wait time for larger parties. This should go smoothly, (I hope). Rredmond, if you need to know anything else about using the forums (posting images, etc) don't hesitate to ask.

On the question of multiplying in a dice macro: Yes, that should actually be a pretty easy addition, but... I write code as my day job, and right I'm swamped with that work. I wouldn't be able to get to making any changes to the dice roller for a week or so (when I hit my next milestone). I'll make a note of it and keep you posted.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."
migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by migellito »

Great to meet you all, and I'm also really looking forward to this :) I've not had a chance to actually use the osric rules yet, in spite of having them downloaded forever.

I'll also chime in now saying how much I appreciate Unseen Servant. We've been using it in the Greyhawk PbP game I've been running for quite a while now, and it's a really excellent tool.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by Alethan »

[5d6] = 26+10

I thought this looked odd when I first rolled my HP... Did I do the roll right? I've looked at it several times now, and I can't find anything wrong with it, but... it just looks really high to me. To get a 26 out of a possible 30 means it had to be mostly 5's and 6's.

Actually...

Those are the only four combinations that would have given me a score of 26.

If anyone else thinks that roll looks hinky, I'd be fine with re-doing it.
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Argennian »

Alethan wrote:[5d6] = 26+10

I thought this looked odd when I first rolled my HP... Did I do the roll right? I've looked at it several times now, and I can't find anything wrong with it, but... it just looks really high to me. To get a 26 out of a possible 30 means it had to be mostly 5's and 6's.

Actually...

Are you forgeting that you added your Con bonus to that? Ahh, I wish I had a Con bonus... :wink:

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Argennian »

Argennian wrote:
Alethan wrote:[5d6] = 26+10

Actually...

Are you forgeting that you added your Con bonus to that? Ahh, I wish I had a Con bonus... :wink:
Check that, you rolled 26 out of 30 & then added your Con bonus. Wow, those are some great rolls, Alethan! :)

<stands up and formally declares> "The halfling tank has just entered the room!" :P

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”