Ch 1. The Inn of the Unseen Servant

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Inn of the Unseen Servant : Action Thread # 1

#121 Post by Stonjuz »

The genie arises from the stage holding area empty-handed.
“And so you shall STAY hidden.”The trapdoor to the compartment is slammed shut and latched as the djinn takes a position directly above it. The half-smile, half-smirk leaves his face as he turns to see the four guards of Greyhawk trying to ‘corner’ him. He then hears the blessings of Pelor begin and is torn momentarily on which group to deal with first. "Try cornering me? Ha."The guards seem to be his most immediate threat and they are tossed about the room. Bodies fly in random directions. Two of the guards are tossed high in the air, one heading straight for Jacob, and the other misses the ledge landing and takes additional wounds upon hitting the tavern floor. Jacob’s song is interrupted as a chainmail clad, club and shield bearing warrior is hurled his way. The bard takes a bludgeoning wound to the left shoulder that will be leaving a nasty bruise in a few minutes as his chair collapses.
(5 points of damage to Jacob from the guard’s fall)
Darius, who was feeling the bardsong effects, musters enough inner strength to maintain the healing of the Captain during the whirlwind that tossed the bodies. (rolling for cure light ? , 1d8)
Nayman barely avoids the flying guard’s crashing. His stance and agility allows him no damage.
Three of the guards seem injured , the other, who fell from a higher angle, moves not as magical shields and clubs are scattered about the area.
Thor’ar readies his weapon and takes slow steps in the direction of the stage. Scuzz tries to maneuver to a defensive position against a wall near the door.
Branc picks up the stopper , which does indeed have arcane markings and begins to decipher them. Instructions on capturing a djinn are etched and painted in spiraling lines.
Epichicken
Scout
Scout

#122 Post by Epichicken »

"Ready yourselves men, get back up and show this demon what you're made of!" Thor'ar picks his way through the men on the ground and advances towards the towering Djinn. He confronts the beast- with a rough growl in his throat and he speaks, "By my beard you are ugly" He swings his Bardiche with all his might
THAC0- 20 [1d20] = 15
dmg vs large [2d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 (+1 str modifier)
OOC I'm assuming that this is a large creature

dm: yes, its large, also need initiative d10

Initiative- [1d10] = 1
Last edited by Epichicken on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc, stopper in hand, heads to one edge of the room, behind one of the fighting types if possible, trying to remain as inconspicuous as possible. Once there, he begins translating and following the instructions on the stopper.

Branc, just in case: [1d20] = 14

dm:need initiative d10

Branc Initiative (d10): [1d10] = 3+1
Last edited by NJWilliam on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos
JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#124 Post by JobaTett »

"AAAAH!"says Jacob as he's knocked out of his chair. He checks the guard to see if he's alright.
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#125 Post by Vargr1105 »

goaded by Thor'ar's exultations, Nayman advances with both swords held aloft and attempts to attack the...thing.

What the heck is going on here? he thinks.

Greyhwak City is prooving to be a weird place.

To hit with longsword (THAC0 20): [1d20] = 13, Damage: s/m [1d8+1] = 6+1 = 7, L [1d12+1] = 2+1 = 3

To hit with longsword offhand (THAC0 22): [1d20] = 12, Damage: s/m [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6, L [1d12+1] = 12+1 = 13

Initiative Roll: [1d10-2] = 5-2 = 3 2nd attack: Initiative 3 + WS 5 = 8

dm: perfect, except for prooving :lol:
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#126 Post by Stonjuz »

As Brother Maynard continues his healing ritual, bringing Nellsir back from the edge of death, Scuzz prepares to attack, joining in line with Thor’ar and Nayman. The dwarf’s hefty blade comes to meet the Djinn’s shoulderblade as he was heading towards the Captain and Darius. An additional indigo colored wound can be seen until the creature reels. “More to play with?” he belches, turning to see the four adventurers on the tavern floor. Realizing the beast is fully enraged, Thor’ar braces for the brunt of the massive attack that is certainly coming his way. The djinn brings Nellsir’s sword to rest in Thor’ar’s side. (6 damage). The genie maneuvers for another swing when he hears Branc beginning the chant required to capture him. The djinn abandons any additional attacks that may have been coming, to spin once again. The creature disappears into mist for fractions of the next few seconds. His overall outline can still be discerned as Nayman swings at the smoky elemental, missing with his initial attack.
As Branc continues his reading, the djinn 'solidifies' once again (perhaps now bound to this plane?) when he hears it's name pronounced in it's native tongue. "....M'Kaofbauc..." The creature shows it's anxiety as the words are continually unravelled and it begins a much more frantic search of his surroundings. The glowing dinner plates are spotted and the genie swarms to a new position next to the bar, just beneath Jacob the Bard's balcony. He peers into the plate's box container, and, in the darkest of arcanic languages, he says, "Iuzio, Pwair ...Tahdomindaintoure....,"
Taking one of the plates, a red and black mountain scene painted upon it, it is tossed to the ground and begins to spin on the floor. It begins to spin itself so fast, that the disc is soon on its edge, like a large coin being spun. White light begins to form in the center, soon mixed with red and black twisting streak.
By the native tongue familiar to him, Darius realizes that the phenom, slowly increasing in size, is probably to be a doorway to somewhere in the Iuz territory.
Scuzz successfully finishes throwing a dart into the creature and realizes he most likely holds the djinn's next target somewhere within his own vital organs.
Jacob sees the guard next to him is no worse off than he himself is. Still moving.
Nellsir begins to regain his composure.
Branc is still decoding the markings, slowly but deliberate.

New round, actions, rolls, etc...
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc continues deciphering and following the instructions.

Branc Initiative (d10): [1d10] = 8+1

Branc Language read/write (need 10): [1d20] = 4

That should be, need 10 or under, I'll fix the macro description.
Don't let it through that portal!
dm : read/write (10): is fine
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#128 Post by JobaTett »

Jacob helps the guard up "Perhaps you should rest up here with me?". "Or," he begins whispering to the guard "you could sneak attack the creature by jumping off here onto him..." Jacob then attempts to get his bird back to him "Here birdie, birdie."
Epichicken
Scout
Scout

#129 Post by Epichicken »

Thor'ar pulls out of the fight, having done his part of the job
OOC 7 hp left, dont wanna risk it
He sees the spinning plate, and with a watchful eye sees that the djinn is slowly leaving it behind to go behead his allies ;)
Thor'ar will attempt to smash the plate
Initiative- [1d10] = 1
a natural 1 again? O.o

dm: attack the coin portal? you will need to hit AC 10 at least.
Last edited by Epichicken on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#130 Post by Vargr1105 »

Nayman slashes away, adrenaline coursing through his veins.

To hit with longsword (THAC0 20): [1d20] = 1, Damage: s/m [1d8+1] = 7+1 = 8, L [1d12+1] = 1+1 = 2

To hit with longsword offhand (THAC0 22): [1d20] = 20, Damage: s/m [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4, L [1d12+1] = 4+1 = 5

Initiative Roll: [1d10-2] = 6-2 = 4

2nd attack: Initiative 4 + WS 5 = 9

ooc: holy cramoley! A natural "1" and a natural "20" on the same round? Chances of that happening are 0.25%, one in four hundred.

dm: LOL last time I did that, I shot my ally in the buttocks with a bow, while trying to hit a rat. (fumble on a 1, and crit 20 to follow up) .....
you need another set of attack rolls , one for each .....
to follow up on and see how bad you fumbled the first, and to see how much of a critical hit on the second)
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by Computer +1 »

Darius completes the healing prayer [1d8] = 4 and hears the words being spoken in Iuz. Seeing the light coming from the spinning plate he stand and yells.
It is opening a portal to Iuz!

Daruis runs over and attacks the creature with his most trusted weapons, his fists.

Attack 1
[1d20] = 6 +3 to hit = 9
Dmg 1
[1d2+2] = 1+2 = 3
Attack 2
[1d20] = 11 +3 to hit = 14
Dmg 2
[1d2+2] = 1+2 = 3

DM: you need inititative roll to see when your attacks happen
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#132 Post by Stonjuz »

Thor’ar intently extends the weapon into the light generated by the spinning coin. The vibrations transferred through the polearm, the kind normally associated with steel on steel, cause the dwarf’s grip to tighten even more and pull the blade back to avoid further damage to his baldriche. Informing the stalwart fighter that the portal has not yet been established, and also that he was not able to interrupt the spin much, if at all.
M’Kaofbauc misses the half-orc’s neck as Skuzz ducks just in time. The genie’s weapon speed gives Skuzz a few seconds to realize just how close he came to instant death and that another attack is eminent, seconds from now.
Nayman Lesh’s sword comes to rest in a spot that the Djinn had just vacated, missing terribly. The rogue turns to continue his attack, just as Thor’ar is pulling his polearm back from the forming gateway and the two weapons violently clink for fractions of a second.
Jacob’s conversation, unheard by those on the barfloor, with the guard on the ledge offers the soldier little consulation and he bides his time, cautiously waiting, holding his action, alongside the Bard.
Darius moves into melee with the grace of a prizefighter, surrounded by blades and futilely tries to land an uppercut to the creature, then manages to enforce a jab, mere seconds later. The air elemental, now in solid form from the waist up, ignores Skuzz in favor of Brother Maynard as the target for his remaining blow.
“Iuz will be glad to see you, Cleric of Pelor.” Darius’ footwork takes a defensive pace, as the beast advances. The bright light flashes throughout the room and the portal instantly erupts to full size. The Djinn seems to toy with the half-blinded priest, flying around in 360 degrees and then conjures a direct force-wind to push the human into the glowing portal area. Nellsir, Skuzz, Thor’ar and Nayman all reach desperately to save Darius, giving up any further attacks for the moment.
(1d20 dex check to avoid going thru, +2 bonus for the allies attempts)
Branc, standing with decanter and stopper, speaks the final words of the dimensional phrasing. The Djinn’s expression turns from revenge to disappointment. The djinn quickly spins in upon itself and the soldier that was next to Jacob hits the floor in a bellyflop. The mist moves to envelop Branc.
A voice whispers,“Free me now, and wish be granted. Or a curse upon you. RELEASE ME NOowwwww.....”
Branc
has the next six seconds to decide as the mist pours into the remaining jar.
The front door finally breaks its latching and hinges, and opens.

DM edit: need dex checks for Darius and also from any who are trying to help him , ie Nayman, Thor'ar, Skuzz if they want to, from being pushed into the portal. Any other action declarations before those outside come in?
Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#133 Post by Vargr1105 »

Vargr1105 wrote:dm: LOL last time I did that, I shot my ally in the buttocks with a bow, while trying to hit a rat. (fumble on a 1, and crit 20 to follow up) .....
you need another set of attack rolls , one for each .....
to follow up on and see how bad you fumbled the first, and to see how much of a critical hit on the second)
Here you go:

To hit with longsword (THAC0 20): [1d20] = 13, Damage: s/m [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6, L [1d12+1] = 4+1 = 5

To hit with longsword offhand (THAC0 22): [1d20] = 10, Damage: s/m [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4, L [1d12+1] = 5+1 = 6

dm: I already advanced it, using neither 1, nor 20 as confirmed criticals. Which you further confirmed with those rolls, but thnkx.
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc has no plans to play with wishes from evil djinn. He has heard of such things inevitably being the downfall of those making the wishes.

Branc breathes a sigh of relief, looking around at the devastation caused by just a brief release of the djinn that is now once again in a jar. He carefully makes his way over to the staff with the tag indecipherable to the auctioneer earlier, "I bid five gold for the lot of the indecipherable, no doubt accursed, items. I'll remove them from the premises for you as well, I'm curious just to see how cursed they are."
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#135 Post by Computer +1 »

Daruis gets hit with the windy blast and tries his best to avoid its push into the portal

[1d20] = 19

dm: :twisted:
Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#136 Post by Stonjuz »

Nellsir orders the two standing guards to follow after Darius. Both stand in bewildered disbelief. The taller of the two says, "But sir, what if there is no portal on the ot...." Nellsir interrupts. "Get moving. We cant send him thru there alone. I will be there with more troops and supplies mustered, shortly." The two gather their uniforms, shields, clubs and polearms and stand before the portal. "NOW" Nellsir barks. Benson and Hedges step through and disappear.
Branc stands with jar and staff. Talking to anyone who listens.
Abriago comes out of the privvy washroom. "Ten gold."
NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by NJWilliam »

Branc looks at Abriago, and says, "I have eight gold."
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#138 Post by JobaTett »

(Is Darius going into the portal? If so, would I have to roll to jump off the balcony with all my gear into the portal unharmed and without fault?)

dm:
Yes, Poor Brother Maynard has left the building.
Yes, you would need to roll dex or under to jump off the ledge into the portal.
Or you could just run down the stairs and step thru it freely.
Epichicken
Scout
Scout

#139 Post by Epichicken »

[1d20] = 20+2
Thor'ar extends his hand to as far as it may reach to save Darius
OOC sorry for the short hiatus folks, my email had a connection error over the weekend and didn't get any of the updates

dm: I advanced without your dex check assisatance , giving Darius the +2 assistance bonus anyway, even though he STILL failed it.
You failed the assistance roll, you dont fall in, but you never touched him.
Do you wish to stick Thor'ar's hand INTO the portal?
? You going in after him, and the guards? :twisted:
Epichicken
Scout
Scout

#140 Post by Epichicken »

OOC why not lets have a lil fun shall we? ;)

Return to “The Inn of the Unseen Servant - Greyhawk 2.5e”