The Golden Tooth Tavern

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: The Golden Tooth Tavern

#581 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea leaves the tavern and heads off to see what he can buy at Goode Dogge Artefact and Curiositie Shoppe
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#582 Post by Jernau35 »

Tollander Kane enters the taproom and takes a moment or two to survey it, before walking over to the bar. He gives the bar-keep the "when-you're-ready" nod and waits patiently to order an ale.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

GreyWolfVT

#583 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea returns to the tavern and finds an empty table in a darker corner to sit he now has a new sword strapped to his belt, in which he is seen patting every now and then while from the looks of it mumbling.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#584 Post by Marullus »

Skyrim-Playable-Races-Tavern-Maid.jpg
Skyrim-Playable-Races-Tavern-Maid.jpg (37.98 KiB) Viewed 278 times
The Tavern Maid visits both Tollander and Smoglea at their tables, taking their orders and bringing them food and drink. "You look to be more the adventuring sorts, hmmm? Hyde," she nods to the broad-smiled, sharp-toothed bartender, "has a soft-spot for your ilk. That table there in the corner has Maps and notes from others. Regis the minstrel loves collecting their tales and songs. That'll help you out, I reckon, until you have tales of your own." She gives a friendly smile, likely waiting for a tip, then moves on to other patrons.

Assume NPCs always do their jobs. ;) Just use an OOC tag to subtract appropriate coin, referencing the initial post of any IC location thread for prices. Post your own IC color freely and roleplay with other PCs. You only need to pause for response if it is something plotwise you're asking an NPC. I try to keep my time on the expedition threads as much as possible.

GreyWolfVT

#585 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea having essentially no coin at all after his recent purchase gets up and prepares to leave but decides to go scope the maps out instead "Nothing for me thank you." he says as he goes to see the maps and hear the tales.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#586 Post by Marullus »

26 July to 19 August, 2021
Cleaning up, as I never noted Foxy's return on 26 July. Foxy's player is on a multi-month trip, so I'll post a summary to bring the news into the knowledge of other PCs.

Renvell and Tocen, two mounted guardsmen in the service of Gaul, arouse some interest within the taverns as others listen to their tales. Renvell only recently recovered from his convalescence in the Infirmary, coming back on a stretcher from his expedition with Foxy O'Hare on the 26th of July. Both guardsmen enjoy the looks of their audience as they re-tell of the events that led to Renvell's injuries as well as the death of their companion guardswoman, Sephanne.

"We rode due west from Beith's Watch, you see, driving deeper into the wilderness than any have gone before," says Renvell, then Tocen adds, "None who ever returned, at least."

"There's a ruined city west, there, that she said was the city of Zhint. Others have gone that far, we heard, so we pressed onward. Some miles beyond, we found a road, a proper road, leading from the city southwest. It was there that we were ambushed by foul ghouls looking to feast upon our flesh." Renvell's voice waivers, clearly still not recovered. "Twas there that we lost Sephanne, and her horse. Both were dragged down, disemboweled, and eaten by the monstrosities of the netherworlds." Tocen pats him on the shoulder reassuringly.

"The road went southwest for a while, then turned to take a westerly course. The plains and hills seem endless there - whatever small villages or homesteads that might have been along the route not sturdy enough to stand the tests of time. The plains turn to hills looking south, once we got past where the goblins are known to be, and found ourselves beset by kobolds. Traps along the roadway set by the little blighters, ambushes to try and interdict what Foxy called "the foul red robed mages" who travel the road to have commerce with the goblins. Kobolds... such a nuisance." continues Tocen, taking the narration.

"Soon the shoulder of the great southern mountains jutted north, the road skirting the foothills to keep more level ground. We deviated to the south and up the mountain slope to find a better vantage for our scouting. We found the most beautiful lookout point..." Tocen is interrupted here by Renvell. "Best around, I figure, because we were interrupted by four hill giants with the same idea! Foxy could speak with 'em, even... who'd have though she'd had experiences with giants? In any case, they seemed friendly enough, once she made their acquaintance. They confirmed that those Red Robed Mages of Monoc travel along the road, as Foxy suspected. They -- did you know giants worship some kind of nature god? -- they told us that the kobolds have a perverse and foul worship which is making things sick near their mountain; a disease they use to war with the goblins."

Renvell again takes over, true fear in his eyes, though he tries to look brave. "But the real problem is the blighted land. The endless plains that we saw north of that mountain outlook are blighted, a foul, endless twisting of... well, everything... which grows worse looking northwest. We couldn't see quite far enough, but it looked like it was a circle coming from some spot out on that plain. So..." Renvell doesn't look pleased with this decision, but Tocen takes it in stride, "Foxy wanted us to go ride into it. Or at least across it. Desicated bodies, plucked straight from stories of the hells, dragging their rotted limbs and shambling in a mass... we charged them with our steeds... lances and swords..." Tocen steps in as Renvell trails off. "Forgive him... that's where he was dragged down, screaming, by their blighted zombie hands. He woke two weeks later back here in the infirmary. That's really as far as we got along that way, not wanting to lose him as we did Sephanne."

"Tell them of the werewolf," prods Renvell, but Tocen blanches, then response in a hoarse whisper. "No... no, I won't speak of that fell creature. Baudh forgive us for telling it what it wished - even witches don't deserve whatever fate it might offer. I pray it never finds the cursed orb it seeks."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#587 Post by Jernau35 »

Tollander orders a pint of stout and wanders over to visit the map table, searching for information and contacts with other adventurers who might be looking for an extra hand in their party. As a cleric of Gwanwen, he was shocked by the guardsmens' story of wandering undead to the west, but the horrific details they related made him doubt that anybody would be heading out that way soon.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#588 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay apologizes to the two guardsmen for their losses and asks for more information about the hill give and their nature god. Did they offer her name? What sorts of religious items did they have?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#589 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Winnie will do Bard duties for the group, so we should get a bit more XP, unless something goes terribly wrong.
Winnie Tale Telling [1d20] = 20
Regrettably, Winnie's tale of pacifistic witchery will be ill-received by the populace. Please write it up accordingly (as it can still be referenced by other PCs)....
Winnie let Bianca, Willow and Barre travel ahead to the the Sacred Grove. I'd like to tell of our journey North. People need to know there is a second dragon so close, and that those women-snakes are able to charm people and elves, and they are in league with snakes. It is all very serious.

She entered the Golden Tooth Tavern as Regis the Gray was starting a long, humorous ballad, so she ordered a bottle of Southern wine and drank while waiting for the end. By the time the ballad ended she had imbibed 2/3rd of the bottle and, between the alcohol and the minstrel's jovial tune, her own mood was brighter. She asked to borrow Regis's lute again and struck up a jaunty tune, making the words up as she sang.

Just sit back my friends and I'll sing you a song
About seven companions and an animal throng
They went to the north, just traipsing along
in the wild-wild, wildering North Woods

Day one, as we went, barely time to look back
Our group was beset by a wild baboon pack
We fended them off with a swhick and a whack
In the wild-wild, wildering North Woods

With apes all dead or fleeing from us,
We started back northwards, but don't have a fuss!
Later that night we camped in the moss

We woke to the screams of our very own guards
With weaseljays rushing them at them real hards
Again we defends ourselves from their barbs

Later that day we were...
She stopped short. No. That won't do, will it? Basically, there are a LOT of weird creatures out there that will try to kill you. Weaseljays and Bug-bears tried for us. But Halle, Berra, the Grizzly Woman and Clint... She paused again. Her words slurred a bit as she continued. Clint...He's yummy ladies. He killed all those bug-bears all on his own! Real strong and brave. I'll tell you more about him. She started strumming the lute again.

Clint is the sort of guy you could like
Not just in day, but also the night
He's just the right size, and just the right height
I don't know if he dances as well as he fights, but...

Clint paid for our passage across the river
A beautiful woman... well he had to sleep with her
She seemed mighty pleased - the next morning she shivered
Then said her goodbyes and went down the river

She paused her singing again, but kept strumming absentmindedly until someone in the crowd started laughing. Oh. Right!

We'd been told of a mama green dragon, turned mean
'Cause Earc blinded her babies, unable to see
And Amistad killed them both to a tee
And now she might come a looking down here just to see...

So we walked down the river and found an old house
That had sunk in the muck of a bog, and a mouse
warned us of of ladies with snakes as their scouts
they turn folks to mud and they live in that house!

But Clint would protect us so we went straight in
We ate all their food and our heads they did spin
They read us our fortunes without our askin'
And all we could do was... Well we just sat there and grinned

She stopped again, suddenly realizing how wrong everything was going. She stumbled out the door and vomited on the footstep of the Stancell Green Honorary Latrine.

When she regained her senses, she would have just left if she hadn't left her backpack and staff inside, so she hefted herself and crept back inside, slipping into a booth without looking. She held her face in her hands for a few minutes, and when she finally looked up, she was surprised to find herself face to face with Fingers. Oh. Hi. I didn't see you here. Don't you own that shop in town? Sorry. That was awful. I shouldn't have tried making it up on the spot. Not with a half bottle of wine in my belly. I really want to get out of Gaul again. Especially after that, err... performance. Ugh. What do you have planned? Do you need a witch? I have a guard dog. Do you like dogs, I hope? She promised not to drink on an empty stomach again.

I'll deduct the cost of a bottle of wine when the roller is back up and running.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#590 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca
Before departing to the Witch's Grove

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Winnie let Bianca, Willow and Barre travel ahead to the the Sacred Grove. I'd like to tell of our journey North. People need to know there is a second dragon so close, and that those women-snakes are able to charm people and elves, and they are in league with snakes. It is all very serious.
Before she leaves with the others she looks at Winnie with look that someone gives someone else when they say something stupid but they love them too much to not be honest with them and tell them so. Elves are people too, you know... And she departs.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#591 Post by Zhym »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:When she regained her senses, she would have just left if she hadn't left her backpack and staff inside, so she hefted herself and crept back inside, slipping into a booth without looking. She held her face in her hands for a few minutes, and when she finally looked up, she was surprised to find herself face to face with Fingers. Oh. Hi. I didn't see you here. Don't you own that shop in town? Sorry. That was awful. I shouldn't have tried making it up on the spot. Not with a half bottle of wine in my belly. I really want to get out of Gaul again. Especially after that, err... performance. Ugh. What do you have planned? Do you need a witch? I have a guard dog. Do you like dogs, I hope? She promised not to drink on an empty stomach again.
Fingers looks around him quickly to see if there's anyone else there. He's not used to girls talking to him, like, on purpose and friendly. And asking him to leave town with them. He gulps hard, which turns into a cough when he sucks some of his beer down his windpipe.

"Uh, yeah," he finally manages. "We've got a bunch of swell treasure maps. Well, maps to places that probably have treasure if we can survive what's there, anyway. And there's this other place we can do some good, too, and take lots of loot. But, um, do good. Yeah." He pauses to wipe his nose. "Anyway, yeah, come along! I mean, if you want."

"Is your dog a good dog? I like good dogs. My dog is a very good dog. His name is Sprinkles."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#592 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton takes a seat near Winnie.

"That was quite the song," he says, almost succeeding in keeping a big grin off his face. "One that will not soon be forgotten, I venture!"

He leans in close, conspiratorially. The grin fades and his tone turns serious. "I wonder if you would be amenable to discussing a matter of potential mutual benefit before you leave town." He clears his throat and beings what seems like a rehearsed speech—but not too rehearsed.

"You see, I believe that arcane knowledge should be shared. We lose nothing by teaching each other what we know, and we gain so much. Too many users of magic see incantations and enchantments as things to be hoarded, as if he—or she—who dies with the most spells wins. But if we are to learn, grow, and live in a north that is often unfriendly to us, we students and practitioners of the arcane must realize that we are colleagues and collaborators, not competitors."

"If you are of like mind, and I sense that you may be, perhaps we can arrange a trade?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#593 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie regretted admitting she was a willworker, but since Fingers didn't mind and was offering her a chance to explore new things, she set the matter aside. She called the waitress over as he talked, ordering a good meal and asking her to fetch the rest of her wine bottle. When the bottle arrived, she shared the rest with Fingers. Still feeling the effects of the earlier half-bottle, she spoke at a faster than normal pace. Sprinkles!? What acute name! I bet he is a total lover, isn't he? Mrs. Dash is a good pup. Fast too. And I am sure thy will get along great. Maybe they will even have puppies! SOOOOOO cute! You can have a couple of them if they do, of course. But only after their fully weaned. They really need to get the breast milk so they can be healthy. Mrs. Dash would be a great mama dog. Realizing Fingers might not be so comfortable at the idea of his dog becoming a father, or the talk of breast milk, she changed the subject a bit. Listen Fingers, there's something you ought to know about me. I'm with the coven out at Beith's Watch. I'm not allowed to go picking fights, but I can defend myself and others. I've got a few useful spells for that, but if I had a few days... I could get a few more in my spell book. And when we are back I can make tell about everything we have done.

A better story than that song I just did. Ugh.
Her face returns to her hands.You must think I am such a fool... But I'm not. Not really. I'll show you if I can come along with you. I promise. Oh goddess, please make me stop talking! Pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease! And why am I trying to impress this guy? And where is Clint, anyway? She hoped the meal would make her feel right again and she could sleep this all off.

Again, coin to be deducted later: 1 meal, a bottle of wine and a room for one night.

I'll respond to Pendleton later. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#594 Post by Zhym »

Fingers starts to say he doesn't remember ever picking a fight, that most of what's out there seems plenty happy to pick fights with him. Goblins, ogres, kobolds, cranky old ghosts—they all seem to attack him first. Like it's his fault that he wants to go into their lairs and take their stuff! That they probably stole. And if they attack you when you're taking their stuff, that's just self-defense then, right?

He decides not to discuss the ethics of pacifism with a drunken hippie witch just now.

"There's plenty you can do if you can't attack first. But we can wait for you to get some more spells in your spell book. Hey, by the way, where do you store your extra spell books? Or do you drag them around with you?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#595 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie is grateful for the total change in subject from this stranger. She leans in close to avoid being overheard by anyone other than Fingers and Pendleton. I agree. The sisters and mothers of my coven... Well we all share what we know. I learned my first spells from them. And I found a few books that I've given to them to return the deed. Because all that we do comes back to us, don't you agree Mr.... What was your name again? This is my friend Fingers. We're going to explore some ruins he and his friends found out about.

As Pendleton gently steers the conversation back to his topic, Winnie describes some of the spells she cast on her last expedition, including ensnaring the weaslejays in webbing and charming the witches that later charmed her. It doesn't always work perfect, but when it does. Well they had us in the palms of their hands. I fear for us all if they decide to send a barge of pastries to Gaul.

To expedite this, Zhym and I have agreed to a trade of spells - 6 days worth of transcribing. 9 if you include other spell(s) she plans to transcribe:
Pendleton gets Web, ESP, and Charm Person
Winnie gets 7 magical ink vials and Light.

And when she wakes up, Winnie will realize she has not only agreed to give away arcane magic for a pittance to a total stranger, but also to go on an expedition with a different total stranger, whom she was obviously seeing with beer goggles on. But she is a woman of her word and will live up to this insanity. :)

That said, Zhym, feel free to keep RPing this. I'm having lots of fun. :D

Winnie will actually pay for 6 days in the tavern and transcribe Light. Then she'll head to Beith's Watch for 2 days and return to leave with Fingers.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#596 Post by Zhym »

"Oh, how perfectly rude of me!" exclaims Pendleton, aghast at his social faux pas. "My name is Kettleworth—Pendleton Kettleworth, occasional and erstwhile esquire." He bows his head slightly in introduction.

"I have heard of your coven and quite admire it. To be entirely truthful—although it seems a waste to confess a truth without a cleric of Eruanna around to heal me for it—I briefly considered asking to join your coven. But nature is not my idiom. I have attempted to establish a scholarly society here in town, however it has not been as popular as I had hoped." He trails off for a moment, wondering why he can't get anyone to join his magic-user club. He's not accustomed to being unpersuasive.

He perks back up when Winnie mentions the charming enchantment. That could prove useful in his secondary pursuits as an advocate—used judiciously, of course. So to speak.

"I regret that I cannot join you on what sounds like an absolutely fascinating expedition. I have other obligations. Still, I will happily spare a few days to increase our collective cumulative knowledge."

One 600-gp amulet deducted to pay for 12 bottles of magical ink, 5 of which Pendleton uses immediately and 7 of which go to Winnie.
6 gp deducted for 10 more days of a private room and good meals.
Web, ESP, and Charm Person added.
Pendleton will be ready to leave town on August 29.
Edit: I forgot about Pendleton's horse, which he's yet to use. 3 gp 7 sp deducted for 37 days of stabling.

GreyWolfVT

#597 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Smoglea a bit put off by all the sudden action and noise decides perhaps it is best to look elsewhere for someplace quieter. He walks out of the tavern and mills around town not sure what to do or where to go with so little coin left.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#598 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Smoglea a bit put off by all the sudden action and noise decides perhaps it is best to look elsewhere for someplace quieter. He walks out of the tavern and mills around town not sure what to do or where to go with so little coin left.
Seeing the halfling for the first time as he leaves, Clay invites him to the table.Hello. I'm Clay. Yes. I know I'm a badger. People keep pointing that out. It's a gift from my goddess. It came with a vision, actually. I am travelling northwards. Are yo interested in a chance to explore the great unknown?

GreyWolfVT

#599 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote:Smoglea a bit put off by all the sudden action and noise decides perhaps it is best to look elsewhere for someplace quieter. He walks out of the tavern and mills around town not sure what to do or where to go with so little coin left.
Seeing the halfling for the first time as he leaves, Clay invites him to the table.Hello. I'm Clay. Yes. I know I'm a badger. People keep pointing that out. It's a gift from my goddess. It came with a vision, actually. I am travelling northwards. Are yo interested in a chance to explore the great unknown?
Smoglea with his new sword acts a little timid at first when Clay approaches him then remembers the badger from earlier "Huh? Uh yes I'd be happy to go with you. The unknown sounds good suppose there is any way to earn some coin on this expedition? I've dumped almost all I had into buying this special sword." he pats the sheath on his belt and staring at the ceiling for a minute. He shakes his head to clear his mind "A badger eh I'd never have thought to point out the obvious that'd be like you telling me I'm a halfling with hairy bare feet." he laughs a little awkwardly at his jest.

GreyWolfVT

#600 Post by GreyWolfVT »

20 August, 2021 think that is correct.

Galmit bustles into the tavern and pushes past everyone looking for Neegan "Alright where's me fellow dwarf Neegan eh?" he says loudly looking around the tavern.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”