Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole: Part 2 - 30 Aug 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole: Part 2 - 30 Aug 2021

#1 Post by Marullus »

Back into the demon hole to shut the hell gate...

Ablesforth, Templar Cleric
Pendleton Kettlebottom, Wizard
Idriss, Templar Wizard (as NPC)
Dolph, Templar Fighter (NPC)
Jaques, Templar Fighter (NPC)
Molay, Templar Fighter (NPC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole: Part 2 - 20 Aug

#2 Post by Zhym »

Some planning thoughts:

Marullus, how much would an awl or hand drill cost? If we had one, we could drill small holes into the doors in the bloody room to see if it's full of blood. Of course, that leaves open the question of what to do it if is, and that blood starts pouring out the doors...

Pendleton can case enough Invisibility spells to get the whole party invisible. Then our plan could be to sneak past anything we can and fight anything we can't sneak past.

There seems to be a lot of map we haven't explored yet. Do we have any idea where the hell mouth is? If not, maybe we should try exploring east and north on that map?

Oh, BTW, that pitcher can create saltwater with a command word or purify a liquid with a different command word. It holds up to one gallon. It's also tainted with a slight bit of evil. Still, I think it might end up useful.

Do we need Pendleton to have any 2nd-level spells other than Invisibility? (Man, I hope there are some scrolls or spell books hiding in that demon hole somewhere).

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able is fine leaving the bloody room alone. I just hope it hasn't exploded or a goblin hasn't opened it by accident

Let's have Pendleton cast invisibility the day before we go so Pendleton has a full compliment of spells when we get there. Winnie used web against attackers and didn't lose invisibility, FYI, in case you get that spell somehow. ;)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

Heh.

I was thinking we should have plenty of time to make everyone invisible and leave Pendleton with a full complement of spells.

And the main reason I'm thinking of checking the blood room is that it often seems to be on the quickest route to an exit. I'd hate to be cut off if we don't have to be.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Marullus, how much would an awl or hand drill cost?
The Templars will let you borrow one (specifically Ablesforth the Carpenter) if you desire it for plot purposes.
Zhym wrote:There seems to be a lot of map we haven't explored yet. Do we have any idea where the hell mouth is?
There is a lot of map unexplored.

You have your second stick of magic incense which creates a ribbon of smoke leading directly to the portal (nearest source of infernal power). You've discovered that you can't put it out, and it can be followed in either direction.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

So, light the incense, and it leads us to the hell mouth...and the halfheads to us? A mixed blessing, to be sure. But a decent plan.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

We saw the smoke trail go into the room with all the bones. The one just of the room with the knotwork pattern on the floor.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

Did the smoke go anywhere from there?

I mean, I guess I could go back and read the thread myself.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That was as far as we saw, then we were driven out of the place. Should have dropped the incense and left it, for all the trouble it's caused.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Lessons learned. ;)

I made a point of discussing the incense in every (non-combat) post. Always read for details. 8-)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

I suppose, "Hey, can we drop the incense that the demons are following before we try to flee the demons?" might have been a good idea for one of our PCs to bring up in the last outing. :)

ETA: I see. We had the incense pointing us to the portcullis: then ignored it.

viewtopic.php?f=355&t=6812&p=348859&hil ... se#p348109
Marullus wrote:Ablesforth lights a stick of incense, carefully holding it on a small ceremonial dish. The thin tendril of aromatic smoke rises from it, perfuming the room, but it doesn't diffuse as much as you'd expect. Instead it wafts in a long thread, carried on the still air as if there were a strong draft. The smoke passes through the northern portcullis and across that chamber to the still-shadowed far wall.
Spearmint wrote:Idriss

"We should follow the scent of burnt ash. I don't think they have gone through the portcullis." Idriss looks through the eastern door of the south wall, carefully opening it just enough to peer through a crack.
Man, we were not especially bright that outing.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

Looking back, the incense led out of the room with trashed furniture and debris, past the portcullis. So this should probably be our planned route:
Demon Hole.png
Demon Hole.png (173.25 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
Let's not light the incense until we're at least at the far side of the room that arrow points into.

The portcullis into that room is trapped iwth an arrow trap on the far side. I don't imagine there's anything we could bring with us to help with that, knowing it's there? (Speaking of which, we lost our PC who was best at finding traps, right?)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Agreed but remember we found the portcullis was trapped. (Quarrels aimed at it, ready to fire.)

Marullus, did the smile change course when we were in the bin room? I thought it had started going through the other doorway of the knotwork pattern room

Also, I am pretty sure our rest was interrupted because the sniffers located us because if the incense. So once we light it, we are committed.

Is there a way to remove or scent? Or to get foul smelling objects to overwhelm the sniffers so they have a hard time finding/hitting us?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Marullus, did the smile change course when we were in the bin room? I thought it had started going through the other doorway of the knotwork pattern room
Yes, when you retreated to the Sea Goddess Room and the Bunk Room, the smoke changed its route and went out the archway in the knotwork pattern room (into the room littered with bones).

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Aaaaaaannnnnnnd.... Thanks for understanding what I meant. I'd like to stick to posting from my laptop. Anyhow, since my memory was right, let's head to the knotwork pattern room and go that way.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

Okay, so it looks like either of the rooms to the north lead toward the hell mouth. Of course, any other entrance to the room with the trapped portcullis is probably trapped too.

I don't suppose the jack has been invented yet? ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hey Marullus, what are the chances of recruiting Idriss as an NPC? Spearmint had declared Idriss's intent to clear the place but we were driven out. Another spellcaster would be really nice to have with us.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

I'd consider it. He WAS dedicated to this mission, and, technically he is the one with BOTH the incense and the scroll. ;)

I can't see his sheet or spell list right now, though...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole: Part 2 - 30 Aug

#19 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able spends 24 gold produce 2 more vials of holy water. That brings me up to 16 vials, not countin' what I gave out t'Brothers Dolp and Idriss last time. And you to, Brother Pendleton. I'll carry 3. The lot of you can decide how the rest 're split up.

Along with the auger, Able will bring a few pre-made bungs (wooden plugs) to pound into the holes if blood starts pouring out. I'll try usin' Eruanna's grace t' just dispel the magics around it, but I don't know it it'll work like that. If not, we'll plug them holes back up. He stows the vials of holy water in his pack and then asks the rest of those gathered to bow their heads in prayer. After a few minutes of this, he allows time for confessions, starting with his own. Brothers and Sisters, I really appreciate you comin' along. I've had a deep, deep shame in my heart fer a month now, knowin' it was what I done what allowed these infernals hellions t'find their way outta that hole. I aim t'set it right or die tryin'. But I certainly don't wish th' latter fer you all. My deepest hope is just t'set all this right, then get out and make ammends t'those what been done hurt. Whatever I can do for all them poor folk.

When everyone is done with their confessions, Able leads them out of town singing marching hymns.
It's a Mighty Rocky Road, we've been and done a-travelin'
A mighty rocky road we've been and done a-travelin'
A mighty rocky road, we've been and done a-travelin'
We're bound to go to that Honest Land!

It's farther down the road, we've been and done a-travelin'
A farther down the road we've been and done a-travelin'
A farther down the road, we've been and done a-travelin'
We're bound to go to that Honest Land!

24gp deducted for holy water.

Please indicate how many Vials of Holy Water you have, and how many more you are taking. (13 available) Marullus, do you want me to track the

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole: Part 2 - 30 Aug

#20 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

2 flasks holy water for each NPC, leaving 7 more.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”