A dirty, bloody, booze-soaked Sci-Fi Western romp

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

A dirty, bloody, booze-soaked Sci-Fi Western romp

#1 Post by tibbius »

The game is called The Mud, the Blood, and the Beer - and a hearty handshake for anyone who recognizes the poet and the singer most associated with that phrase.

The set up is this:
You are sinners. You are wicked. You have taken human life, first in self defense but then because it felt good. You have stolen from those in need, first to survive but then because it was easy. You have treated humans as objects and property because
they were less powerful and could not stop you.

But now you have stopped doing those things. You are still that person—you still want to do those things—but you are trying on a different approach to life. You have realized a new ethos, and you feel deep camaraderie with any who share it.

So, here you are in this dirty, blood-stained, booze-breathed town on a border between Here and There.

At the edge of town is the old Graveyard, with the Tomb of the Famous Unknown. Tourists come there for a fee, which is levied by the Tophat Gang. The Tophats don't let any locals worship at the Tomb.

The Tophats, who control all the money in town, have a standoff with the Blueheads, who want to strip the town for parts.

The whole group of you have come to town because you heard rumors from a traveling courier that money could be made by righting some wrong things here.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

Re: A dirty, bloody, booze-soaked Sci-Fi Western romp

#2 Post by Lance »

Oh, I remember the last time this game came up! I might be able to squeeze another game in, depending on post frequency. If you'll have me, that is! :)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

Lance wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:42 pm Oh, I remember the last time this game came up! I might be able to squeeze another game in, depending on post frequency. If you'll have me, that is! :)
That would be great!
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by kalstone »

I'm interested. Space Gatlinburg in mid-July sounds nice.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by tibbius »

Lance wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:42 pm Oh, I remember the last time this game came up! I might be able to squeeze another game in, depending on post frequency. If you'll have me, that is! :)
kalstone wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:42 pm I'm interested. Space Gatlinburg in mid-July sounds nice.
One (and a half?) ... two ? ... looking for one or two more.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by tibbius »

Here's the setup ("Liminus" is the aforementioned town between Here and There):
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by tibbius »

And some factions:
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by tibbius »

Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by tibbius »

= In the Town =
Liminus is about a mile across, and sprawling. Not many big buildings here, there's a compact downtown of small businesses and surrounding that are neighborhoods with small houses on quarter- and half-acre lots of scrubby soil and sparse grass. The downtown is run down with a few vacant buildings, potholed streets and cracked sidewalks. Away from downtown, some stretches of sidewalk and street have broken down to gravel or never were paved in the first place.
Colonel Canivarl's Rest Home:: Toward the north side of town, near the Graveyard and the wide open plains, there is a large complex of buildings populated by the most distinguished elderly (and not-so-elderly) veterans and other former public servants of Here. A place where nobody listens.
The Drunken Boblin:: On the outskirts of town near the gulch, there is a bar with the logo of a goblin dressed as the Prophet Bob, complete with cigar and cocktail glass. The Tophats make decisions in a back room. Goblins aren't real.
Post Office:: Located right downtown. People get their mail and those who don't like to be in the Boblin socialize here. Some people say the clerk is a spy for There.
Saltinc:: The company office for the salt mine, on the edge of town near the mesa. The company has seen a drop in production and demand throughout the past decade. The office is a big building that used to be fancy, but some of the windows are boarded.
Mines Guild:: A smallish brick union hall that is located near the Post Office, downtown. It used to be a meeting hall for the Church of Bob. The silhouette of the pipe-smoking prophet is right above the double glass doors. One of the doors has been cracked for a couple of years.
Saucy Susie's:: Also near the Post Office and Mines Guild is a bright and cheerful diner. It's popular for date nights.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by tibbius »

Intro (whenever we get this going I'll copy to the new forum):
It's another arid day. Sun like a hammer, even through your rancheros. The white heat glimmers on the solar panels, up on the mesa; shimmers in waves above the potholed asphalt streets; glints off the chipped paint at the gas compressor station, northeast of town. The dry heat is easy on your skin, but your mouth and throat are parched, your lips are chapped. A thin clear fluid seeps from your sinuses, slightly pink: maybe from the powder that drifts on the breeze, maybe from blood. The cracked clay soil is a darker pink, with scrubby yellow grass and greenish-purple succulents keeping to themselves in scattered barrios of vegetation. Seems like every building has flaking paint, cracked windows, broken siding, inept graffiti, or a mix of all four. Some of the houses on the main drag have broke down vehicles on blocks in the front yard.

You're supposed to meet for lunch at Saucy Susie's, find out why you're really here.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by tibbius »

Notes
The ranchers on the mesa (southwest) are solar ranchers. Most of the top of the mesa is a big solar farm. The forty or fifty ranchers up there live among the panels and maintain them, swapping out and refurbishing inverters. Their ranch supplies a lot of the electricity for Here. They'd like to make a connection to the power grid of There, get a better price for their rays.

The ranchers in the acacia groves (northeast) are gas ranchers. Pipes run from their fields to the compressor plant at the edge of town, where the natural flow gets pressurized and packed into a big line running off to the capital of Here. Like the solar ranchers, these folks spend their days maintaining the harvesting equipment - and looking out for dangerous leaks. They also would like to connect with There and get better rates for their product.

The Tophats own the mineral rights to the salt mine (through Saltinc), and also have the government contract to run the compressor plant.

The Bluehands are kind of associated with the Mines Guild and want to break the Tophats' grip on Liminus.

The missionaries will get along with anyone who accepts their prophesied Magtastrophe.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by tibbius »

Notes
There's something that eats people, roaming the streets at twilight and dawn. It even takes people out of their cars at traffic lights. The sheriff now enforces a curfew. The posse, when they're not hassling the gas ranchers, hunt the something.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Lance »

So how are you feeling about androids? Or lancers? Or monks? Or androids with a dark past turning a new leaf as a wrongs-righting monastic martial artist? :D

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by tibbius »

Lance wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:57 am So how are you feeling about androids? Or lancers? Or monks? Or androids with a dark past turning a new leaf as a wrongs-righting monastic martial artist? :D
Yes.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#15 Post by Scott308 »

I do believe that is from "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash/ Shel Silverstein, correct?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by tibbius »

Scott308 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:28 am I do believe that is from "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash/ Shel Silverstein, correct?
:!: Indeed :!: (and a hearty handshake for yew)
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by tibbius »

Scott308 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:28 am I do believe that is from "A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash/ Shel Silverstein, correct?
kalstone wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:42 pm I'm interested. Space Gatlinburg in mid-July sounds nice.
I think we have three players here? Please confirm. I'll run with two for now, because my friend Sean is trying to join the boards in order to play in this.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Lance »

Confirmed :)

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by kalstone »

Confirmed.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by tibbius »

kalstone wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:40 amConfirmed.
Lance wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:33 pmConfirmed :)
viewtopic.php?f=1238&t=11810 Starting setting info is up.

You just got into town.

You've known each other for a bit.

Please make characters in the thread for that.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Looking for players or games”