Quest #27 "Detecting Snares and Pits"

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #27 "Detecting Snares and Pits"

#261 Post by Darklin2 »

Max

Max starts removing his chainmail armor. Takes it off and rolls it up in his cloak to make it quiet and drapes it across his back pack and secures it as tight as he can to keep it quiet.

I am an elf and I can cast wizard spells when needed. I could try to put them to sleep or we could sneak past. Either way that armor had to come off. No spells, no sneak, and it was starting to chaffe in some bad areas. Besides it is cooler with out it. Will be buying leather when I get back to town.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#262 Post by Paladin »

Sir William Narramore

"Aye, if you can hold a sleep spell ready as we try to slip past and fail, perhaps we may make it home tonight. If we've room to get clear of the beasts."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by hedgeknight »

Paladin wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:23 pm Sir William Narramore
He then turns back to Fitz. "A better idea what we're up against and how many of them will go a long way toward deciding our way forward, my friend. Can you do that without getting yourself eaten?"

Fitz nods and says, "I'll do my best. Max, are you coming too? That would be swell if the three of us - you, me, and Dex - could sneak it and get the scoop on whatever is devouring the dead snake."
Fitz is already heading back to Dexter's position, confident Max is following...
Winter is coming...

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#264 Post by Darklin2 »

Max

Max will shoulder his pack and head out with Fitz. Making sure he still has some sand in his belt-pouch. And making sure his mace is loose in his belt.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#265 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Night Questing In The Jungle
Sunday, 21st of Goodmonth
Early Evening, Hot, Humid, Very Buggy

The group secures their gear while Max doffs his heavy armor. They agree to move in closer to see if they can spot the danger up ahead. With the scouts creeping a short distance in front of the others, everyone eventually sees the noisy culprits they are trying to avoid.

shutterstock_693396226.jpg
shutterstock_693396226.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 699 times

4 of these strange looking monster insects are currently devouring the remains of the snake, just off the side of the trail. They are the size of large dogs, and they give off a very acidic scent as they go about their business of ripping and tearing away at the fresh kill.

When the huge bugs don't make any indication that they have noticed the intruders, the front half of the party waves for the others to follow them up the trail. Can I get a normal Dex check from each of you please? [3d6]

Actions?

Sir William Narramore 9/12 LOH
Cornelius Fitzenbell 5/8 1/1 RM, DI
Drakkar Deepcrag 4/11
Dexter Broadleaf 12/15
Maximus Fleetfoot 5/8 (C) 0/2 (MU) 1/1 CL, DM, RM

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#266 Post by Darklin2 »

MAX

HAND WAVE (Come on)

Max's DEX is 18.

[3d6] = 12 DEX Check

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by hedgeknight »

Fitzenbell

Fitz gawps at the large bugs...almost as big as he! :eek:
He grabs a dart and then wipes the sweat off his nose...readies himself for what is to come next.

DEX (18) check: [3d6] = 9
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#269 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Paladin wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:31 pm This Dex of 11 has me feeling inadequate all of a sudden. :lol:
That doesn't qualify you as exempt from making the roll. :lol:

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#270 Post by Paladin »

Crap. I read that as the three advancing members making a roll. Missed the part where they waved us on. My bad. :lol:

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#271 Post by Paladin »

Sir William Narramore

Groaning inwardly, the knight secures his armor and weapons to reduce the chances of them clanking and then stalks forward. He chafes at the necessity of skulking like a thief in the knight, but pragmatism defeats his notions of fair play...a dead paladin can't champion Heironeous. And they're insects. Do they even merit the consideration he'd show a human enemy?

He shakes his head to clear it and creeps forward.

[3d6] = 8 VS 11 DEX

I am the wind!!! :o

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#272 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter moves forward quietly, trying not to disturb the bugs in any way. And, indeed, there is nary a sound to be heard as he moves.

Regular DEX check vs 18 DEX [3d6] = 10
"There is no spoon."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#273 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Quiet as an old church mouse, the group ekes their way past the feeding frenzy, sticking to the trail that runs only a few feet away from the gorging monster insects. 3 more are spotted on the other side of the tree, causing Drakkar to stare uncomfortably a little too long, missing a root in the trail and nearly tripping over it. His armor makes enough noise to catch the attention of two of them, but the others continue munching away.

Encouraging the others to move along a little faster now, since they’ve clearly been spotted, the dwarf starts to panic when one of the huge beetles heads in his direction. Already more than half way past the danger zone on the trail, the dwarf shakes his head and raises his axe. “Keep movin, lads! I’ll hold this un’ off fer a moment and be right behind ye.”

Actions?

Drakkar Deepcrag 4/11
Dexter Broadleaf 12/15

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#274 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

"Keep moving," Dexter tells Drakkar. "If we can't just outrun it, then we'll fight. All of us. Fair enough?" The Halfling slows just enough to make sure that Drakkar is following, then heeds his own advice and hustles off down the trail.
"There is no spoon."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#275 Post by Paladin »

Sir William Narramore

If Drakkar heeds Dexter's urging and continues walking, Narramore will continue as well, keeping an eye on the approaching beetle.

If the dour dwarf refuses and stays behind, the stolid knight will draw his blade and stand silently beside his companion. No amount of debating, insults, or coaxing will move the mountainous paladin.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by hedgeknight »

Fitzenbell

"C'mon Drakkar!" Fitz hollers, breaking the somewhat silent retreat. "It's gonna eat you! It's gonna rip your hide right off! Peel it like an onion! Run! Run!"

And Fitz takes off at a sprint.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#277 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dexter tries to convince the dwarf to change his mind and keep moving, which, with the paladins urging, works, initially.

Fitz paints a grizzly picture of his vision of what is about to happen as he wisely takes off running as quickly as he can through the tight jungle trail.

Once everyone is on board with fleeing, comfortable that Drakkar will follow, the stubborn dwarf loops back around Max to intercept the trailing massive beetle, still on their heels. “Fly ye fools! I said I got this! It’s just on of em! An I used to smash cave crickets like this all the time back home!”

By the time the group sees what happened, the huge bug has already stopped a few feet away from the now trailing dwarf, turning itself around on the trail, as if it is about to retreat. “See! It’s afraid ta fight me if it’s all alone!”

Actions?

Drakkar Deepcrag 4/11
Dexter Broadleaf 12/15

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#278 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

Seeing the beetle turn away, Dexter calls out, "Good! Then leave it be and let's go!" Seeing Fitz pulling away, and not comfortable with seeing the Gnome out here by himself, Dex tries to catch up.
"There is no spoon."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#279 Post by Paladin »

Sir William Narramore

The knight scowls down at their dwarven companion, then breaks into quiet laughter. "You're a stubborn ox of a dwarf, my friend. And brave as any ten men. But that thing is calling for help, or I'm blind. You could smash a handful of the buggers if you were fresh, but what about a dozen? And with these wounds? By Heironeous, you've taken some lumps today. Save some for the next go-round, will you?" He leans down and jerks his head at the fleeing rogues, speaking in a conspiratorial tone. "Anyway, do you really think I can keep those two in line by myself?"

He straightens up and moves to follow the others, pausing with an expectant look to wait for Drakkar's response. "Come on, mate. We can return here and smash a whole colony of the things tomorrow, if it suits you. We've nothing to prove anymore--and I'm buying the first round when we get home."

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#280 Post by Darklin2 »

Max

Do you want to be remembered as the Dwarf killed by bugs? Hell no, me either. No move your ass.

Return to “Completed Missions”