Character Building Discussions

Radrabbit
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Building Discussions

#1 Post by Marullus »

Hi everyone! Happy and excited here. :) Just making a space for us to talk to each other as we develop concepts.
Radrabbit wrote:The Mharoti Empire crushed the Minotaur City States and has added the Arch Duchy of Illyria to its extensive lands. You now stand in the newest province of the empire, now called Rumela. Once you got used to the harassment from the Dragon-Kin and Kobold patrols, things returned to what is the new normal. Will you help the rebels, work for the new rulers or try and avoid confrontation with either and search for riches in the wilds of the Griffincrags.
So far, we have:
Enoch: Gnoll Barbarian
Rex: Palid Elf Monk Criminal

I posted two potential characters. (I'll delete the one we don't use.) Both are bird clerics.

First, I made Awwwrak, who is coming down from the mountains to learn the truth of the impending threat (the empire's invasion? something worse?). He's a good adventurer, and grim but altruistic. He could righteously stand against the empire or go adventuring in the Griffoncrags.

Looking at the other PCs, though, we have a gnoll and we have a monk/criminal. We have a setting with "insurgency against the empire that uses dragonborn and kobolds as thugs." If we want to lean hardcore into insurgency instead of general adventuring, including doing bad things for good reasons, then the altruistic-adventurer may not be a good fit. Instead, I created Rustle, a Kenku devotee of Loki. He has no qualms (and only encouragement) for anything we want to do in the name of anti-empire insurgency, and is a good support role for a party of spies/sabateurs/insurgents.

The DM is giving us leeway with that final question in his setting blurb above. What do you guys think for the feel and theme of our group? Do we want to lean hardcore into insurgency, including being bad guys? Or do we want to be more adventure-y and have room for the altruistic?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Building Discussions

#2 Post by Marullus »

Radrabbit wrote:
Enoch wrote:Right now I'm leaning toward a gnoll barbarian cast out of his clan as the runt of his litter and trying to adapt to "civilized" society (and eventually going Path of the Totem Warrior if I can color the totems as hyenas rather than wolves).
If that's the case here's a titbit of info. If you do go that route I can give you more info.

Most common in the Southlands of Nuria
Natal and points south, gnolls are also found in the Mharoti Empire, Khandiria, and even
on the Rothenian plain. They range the desert and plains as hunters and scavengers,
and they are expert rangers, scouts, and trackers. Their culture is violent and largely
unfriendly to outsiders, but some say they have a small kingdom in the distant South.
Rex wrote:I was just looking at elves on D&D Beyond and saw the Pallid elves. Looks interesting, would you allow them? I am thinking of a Monk with criminal background. If you don't allow the Pallid elf (which is fine if it doesn't fit your world) then I will go with either a human or half elf.
Rex wrote:In case you don't have access to DnD Beyond

Pallid Elf

The pallid elves are a mystical and insightful people with skin as pale as the surface of Exandria’s largest moon. They emerged from the Pallid Grove this century and wander the world with childlike curiosity.

Ability Score Increase

Your Wisdom score increases by 1.

Incisive Sense

You have advantage on Intelligence (Investigation) and Wisdom (Insight) checks.

Blessing of the Moon Weaver

You know the light cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the sleep spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the invisibility spell (targeting yourself only) once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Casting these spells with this trait doesn’t require material components. Wisdom is your spell­casting ability for these spells.
Copying these over from the recruitment thread to help centralize conversation. :)

I love both of these. :-D

Radrabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Radrabbit »

Enoch: Gnoll Barbarian
Rex: Palid Elf Monk Criminal
Marullus :Aarokocra Male Cleric

OK, so a little background on how your PC may be perceived.

Gnolls have driven back several invasions from the Mharoti Empire over the last century or so.
Since the empire is now controlling what used to be the Arch Duchy of Illyria, they treat gnolls as enemies.
You can have your PC as a native of Nuria Natal, who was catured and shipped off north as a slave and recently escaped.
Alternatively you can be a native Illyrian gnoll, who will not have as an immediate negative response from Empire troops.

Palid Elf can be from the Windrunner tribe from the Rothenian plains. You are perceived in a neutral tone from the occupying forces.

Aarokocra, as they are reclusive creatures they have a very neutral perspective from natives and empire troops.
I'm Rad and I'm a Rabbit

Radrabbit

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

I need to finish up her background, if anyone has any ideas or tie ins with their PC let me know.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Enoch »

Do you have any ideas about where you might have come from? Did you grow up in this duchy that's been half-conquered by the Empire, or did you come from somewhere else?

My background is that I was a caravan raider in the southern deserts and cast out, making my way north. I might have ambushed a lone traveler or trader along the way, or peacefully encountered someone like that. I know that Nuria Natal is currently looking to build diplomatic and trade ties with rich northern kingdoms as well.

Given that my character has recently arrived here, I might have met you in your wanderings? If you're a spy, maybe you were sent down to Nuria Natal for some reason, and are returning. Maybe you are or were one of those reliable messengers.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

She is from the Windrunner tribe from the Rothenian plains as suggested by Radrabbit. I can't tell where the plains are on the map that was posted (no labels for features). I am fine if we met on the road somewhere. I would rather have who I am spying for be a resistance organization or something like that, then we can use them for help maybe.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Enoch »

If I understand correctly, those plains are kind of NE of where we're starting, so a return trip through the starting area would make sense. The southern kingdom (Nuria Natal) is somewhat surreptitiously preparing to resist the Empire if and when it attempts to extend itself south, so you may have been sent to Nuria or another city there to deliver supplies or information to a resistance group, and from there to make your way to this newest front and organize resistance?

Resistance to the Empire works fine with my backstory, which is essentially that I've been "adopted", more or less, by a southern goddess, who helped me survive being cast into the desert in exchange for service. I don't know what that service is, but resisting the Empire would fit.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

I like supporting the resistance. :)

In military terms, my aarokocra soldier is essentially a forward scout-sniper, hoping to gather intel and/or take actions that can aid in defending against the empire or keep it from advancing towards the mountains at all.
"The Empire’s most recent conquest is the Grand Duchy of Illyria, once called Land of a Thousand Heroes, despite its sky militias of hippogriff riders and stout defenders in hills and mountains. Clever dragon generalship and overwhelming numbers eventually brought Illyria low, though at a price in blood and sorrow."
With Illyria having Hippogriff Sky Militias, they're the obvious near-peer competitor for the Aarokocras. They probably skirmished over time, but really, the Aarokocra Eeries are only a minor factor on the border for the Grand Duchy of Illyria. The fall of Illyria would be a huge wake-up call, and the coming of the Dragon Emperor's attention to the Griffoncrags would easily spell the end for his entire people.

Taking the fight forward to the Empire to keep them from ever getting close to the mountains makes sense, and in the grand strategy is an altruistic act done to save his entire race. Doing it in a covert/clandestine manner (allied with an actual spy) is critical to ensuring they don't inadvertantly draw the Empire's attention to the Aarokocra and the Griffoncrags, which overt attacks would do.

A scout-sniper has a lot of utility, but he's still overt by nature; he needs the help of clandestine actors. It makes sense that he also would have also hooked up with the elf monk spy. (Alternatively, the Kenku is rooted naturally in only clandestine ways, acting as a mastermind of such. I'd rather play the aarokocra and push the true-spy role to the elf, but would reconsider if the group preferred the other way.)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Enoch »

I think this is a workable theme: we're the resistance band that Sade the Wanderer has assembled.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

A Warforged Fighter sounds cool! The setting book has "Gearforged" as a stock race; I'll paste below for you.
GEARFORGED
Originally created as powerful soldiers, gearforged
must now find their own paths to navigate the second
life they’ve been given. Many devote themselves to
civil service, others to their gods. Some dedicate their
extraordinarily long lives to the pursuit of knowledge. A
few, naturally, seek out lives of adventure.
The gearforged are an artificial race. More importantly,
its members are created one at a time and come from a vast
array of backgrounds. Nevertheless, they maintain rich
traditions of history, culture, and spirituality all their own,
largely because of the influence of the race’s patron, the
gear goddess Rava.
FORM AND FUNCTION
All gearforged were once other creatures with
flesh‑and‑blood bodies, but their conscious minds
were transplanted into articulated bodies of iron, steel,
brass, and wood, driven by pistons and springs. Each is
as distinctive in appearance as other people are. Some
entities spend a fortune on these new bodies, while others
scrape together anything that will work—especially if the
subject is aging or ill.
All gearforged are made in humanoid shape. The vast
majority fall into one of two styles: those that are roughly
human-sized, with articulated joints, hands, feet, and
crystal lens eyes; and a version made by dwarves that
mirrors their shorter, stouter body shape. Dwarflike
gearforged are more common in the cantons of the
Ironcrags than in the Free City of Zobeck, but they’re
universally accepted as receptacles for dwarf souls.
Gearforged mechanisms are more than mechanical,
because gearforged are machines with souls. Their arms
and legs are driven by everwound springs. Their minds are
actuated by memory gears, transverse cognition gearing,
and the marvel of a soul gem connected directly to a maze
of silver and mithral steam, spark, and magical conduits.
These elements reside in a shell of iron, brass, and steel.
GEARFORGED COMPONENTS
The range of gearforged anatomy in all its variants is
remarkable, but all gearforged share some common parts.
Everwound Springs. These magical springs provide
energy over long periods, effectively acting as the power
sources for most of the gearforged’s moving parts. A
broken everwound spring results in the loss of function in
that digit or limb.
Soul Gem. The mind of a gearforged creature is as sharp
as that of any flesh-and-blood soul, but it is more portable.
The animating, vital principle of a gearforged—its will,
its personality, its mind—are retained in a soul gem. Its
destruction means the death of that gearforged.
Memory Gears. These delicate constructions are
scroll‑like ribbons pierced with thousands of pin holes and
wound about with tiny enchantments of great complexity.
The memory of a gearforged for all the days after its
creation lives in the memory gears. Older gearforged have
many such gears, and the material component for the
magic to create them requires one new gear for every 10
years of life. Installing one requires one day’s work and
2,000 gp.
Other gearforged can read memory gears salvaged from
a dead gearforged, but it’s a complex, time-consuming
process. It’s also viewed with some alarm by most
gearforged, since it is akin to peering into the most private
details of a creature’s life. Installing a used memory
gear into a new or existing gearforged requires a new
soulforging and at least one week before the recipient can
interpret and understand the memories.
GEARFORGED NAMES
Some gearforged use the same name they had before they
became gearforged. Others adopt a new name, drawing on
any culture they admire. And a few take on an aspirational
name representing a virtue they hope to embody, such as
Courage, Noble, Faithful, Endurance, or Truth.
GEARFORGED TRAITS
Your gearforged character has certain characteristics in
common with all other gearforged.
Ability Score Increase. Two different ability scores of
your choice increase by 1.
Age. The soul inhabiting a gearforged can be any age. As
long as its new body is kept in good repair, there is no
known limit to how long it can function.
Alignment. No single alignment typifies gearforged.
Size. Gearforged are as tall as either dwarves or humans,
but they weigh between 250 and 300 pounds. Your size
is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Type. You are of the humanoid (gearforged) type.
Constructed Body. Your consciousness and soul reside
within a soul gem to animate your mechanical body. As
such, you are a living creature with some of the benefits
and drawbacks of a construct.
• You cannot eat, drink, or breathe. You can’t drink
potions or gain benefits that come from drinking,
eating, or inhaling vapors.
• You do not naturally sleep.
• During a rest, you must perform maintenance on your
gears, springs, and joints, following the normal rules
governing rest and activity. While performing this
maintenance, you are aware of your surroundings but
you have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks.
If you go longer than 24 hours without performing
maintenance (you don’t take a long rest), you gain one
level of exhaustion. All exhaustion gained this way
disappears after your next long rest.
• You can’t be stabilized when dying with a Wisdom
(Medicine) check or spare the dying. Instead, a successful
DC 10 Intelligence check or a mending cantrip is needed.
• You regain only one-half the usual number of hit points
from spells or magical effects with the words cure, heal,
or healing in their titles.
Flesh of Steel. You are immune to disease, poison
damage, and the poisoned condition.
Solid Construction. If you are killed but your soul
gem and memory gears are still intact, you can be
restored to life if your body is repaired and soulforging
is cast on it again. Because the body already exists, the
cost of the ritual is just 500 gp, plus the cost of repairing
the body (GM’s discretion, typically 1d4 x 50 gp). If your
body was destroyed but your soul gem and memory
tapes are intact, they can be implanted into a new body
at the standard cost (10,000 gp). The only other magic
capable of bringing you back from the dead is a wish
spell, which restores you fully.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Machine
Speech and Common.
If you're interested, it also has some related other specialities - there is a "Clanking Mercenary" subclass for fighter at 3rd level which allows you to reforge components and stuff. Alternately, there's a "WARLOCK PACT: THE GREAT MACHINE" option where you could be a Warlock who's patron is an otherworldly machenation from the neutral planes, the gods of machine intelligences.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

Not sure. The DM needs to weigh in on that.

The main differences are in the flavor and feel. It presents Rava, Gear Goddess, and establishes that they're powered by a soulgem with which came from a living creature at the heart of the mechanical construct. You have fixed memories of this past existence, then also memories in the gears of your construct.

My quick comparison of the two...
FOR THE GEARFORGE:
When in your rest state, you have disadvantage on perception. You still take Exhaustion for skipping rest/repair.

You can't be stabilized by Medicine or Spare the Dying cantrip. It needs an INT check or the Mending cantrip. You get only half-benefit from Heal spells. You derive no benefit from potions/vapors of any kind.

You don't die unless your soul gem is destroyed; a new body can be built for it at high cost.

There's a Machine Speech language that only machines speak and you know it (and common, no free pick).

You are immune to disease, poison damage, and the poisoned condition. (versus only advantage and resistence to poison)

No +1 AC, no integrating armor, no free skill, no free proficiency.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Looking good. Do we have anymore characters coming? It currently looks like our best people person is the Gnoll with a 13 Charisma and that is a bit scary. I don't mind running my elf as a sort of leader but she is a really bad leader, 8 Charisma, more of a info gatherer or take out something behind enemy lines type character. A neat mix for sure.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Enoch »

The gnoll's only social proficiency is going to be Intimidation, too...and he has disadvantage against being intimidated himself.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

I agree that lack of Charisma is a concern. We also are short on non-combat-y magical solutions. We have Jemmus and Paladin still to make characters - are either of you interested in a sorcerer or warlock Face character? Or a charismatic other class that's recruited to the resistance?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Enoch »

I did just drop my Cha to 11 to boost my Str. So I no longer have a Cha bonus, but I do still have proficiency in Intimidation, and it doubles when I'm trying to intimidate a weaker target!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

Paladin wrote:Hi! I still can't seem to respond in the thread. But I'd love to play a charismatic bard, if one would prove useful.
(Sharing on his behalf)

Radrabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by Radrabbit »

He's added to the group. I re-added him just in case but it said he's already in
I'm Rad and I'm a Rabbit

Radrabbit

Return to “Time of the Dragon (5e)”