The Great Gates (In-Character)

Paladin
Cougbeav
Strider
Strider

Re: The Great Gates (In-Character)

#161 Post by Cougbeav »

Siegfried

Siegfried looks for anyone in peril and if it is the beetle he will charge it.

Count Siegfried in on the battle, using his last roll if needed

ginnymack
Strider
Strider

#162 Post by ginnymack »

The cleric looks to those who fought with her and nods, her hard eyes staring past the slits of her helmet. You fought well. I am Sister Gessane of our Iron Lady of Battle. I am to join you and it seems my presence was timely. Are there those who have fallen? I would give them their rites.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#163 Post by Paladin »

Day 1, Morning - Enemies(?) before us...and before us again.

The pack of possessed savages and wolves is annihilated by the combined might of the newcomer Gessane and the party's doughty warriors. As the battle wraps up, those involved turn to see Vamstar battling the giant beetle. He's currently backing away, luring the insect from the narrow confines of the passage into the open. The creature is obviously enraged at having been attacked, and he rushes Vamstar a second time, his legs clacking loudly as he moves surprisingly quickly despite his bulk. The mighty mandibles snatch Vamstar from his feet as the beetle surges forward and those nearby hear a loud crack. A moment later, the young warrior hangs limp in the beetle's jaws, his armor a ruined mess, blood and entrails spilling out on bare stone. The brave young man has achieved his objective and cleared a path for his friends...at the cost of his own life.

10 damage to Vamstar - he is at -8 and thoroughly dead

Do you take advantage of his success and follow your comrades, or do you remain and take your chances to avenge your friend?

Farther down the path, Divitiakus, Valkur, and Robern come face to face with a wall of spears and arrows. The tips are flint and the wielders are humanoid and dressed in crudely worked skins. They are thin, but not starved, and their eyes gleam the normal shades of blue, green, and brown rather than murderous red. A quick count reveals sixteen armed warriors. All have weapons drawn and pointed directly at you. Most are human. A couple are elves. One half-elf and a dwarf round out their number.

"Hold!" One of the humans cries out in the common tongue.

Vamstar -8/7 - dead
Haukr -2/7 - dead (again)
Divitiakus 2/6
The Violet Chaplain 3/6
Robern 5/7
Briarthorn 3/6
Valkur 4/7

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Karaunios »

Divitiakus does as "asked" by the savage-looking humanoids. "It's fine, it's fine." He says looking at the flint points of the weapons.

He then looks at them. "Who are you? You don't look like that devil-possessed savages who tried to kill us with just came across."

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#165 Post by beniliusbob »

Briarthorn and the Violet Chaplain both attempt to skirt the beetle while it is distracted with Vamstar's corpse, the Chaplain murmuring a prayer for the departed.

Cougbeav
Strider
Strider

#166 Post by Cougbeav »

Siegfried

Sieg joins Divitiakus and glares at the newcomers.

While fingering the edge of his axe, he glares "Who are ye!! and what do ye want!!We put paid to these red devils and wolves!"
Last edited by Cougbeav on Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Modric
Guide
Guide

#167 Post by Modric »

Robern

Holds his position with hands up.

Men, elves, dwarf, how are you? If you don't mind, we'll just get out of your way...

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#168 Post by Paladin »

Day 1, Mid-morning - First Contact

So that we keep to our roughly 48-hour posting rate, I'm going to move the action along. For those left out, you're welcome to play catch-up as you like. We'll make it work.

Divitiakus does his best to adopt a non-threatening stance and make speech with the assembled warriors. One of them, a tall human with a lean, granite-hard physique, steps forward from the warband to address the shaman. "We--"

Sigfried's surly demand provokes a low growl from the skin-clad man. He ceases speech and raises one hand. Instantly, a pair of flint-tipped arrows crash into Knotch and bathe Siegfried in a shower of sparks. The two elves who loosed arrows step forward to join their leader with fresh arrows nocked.

"They didn't have to miss," the man says with a meaningful look. His voice is a deep bass rumble and the wolf-skins adorning his broad shoulders are impressively large.

At Robern's attempt to make nice, a slow grin tugs at one corner of the big man's mouth. "We saw your first battle with the Night-Walkers," he replies. "And we thought to help you by shooting from concealment, since we cannot reveal ourselves before the gates of Greyhearth." He pins Robern with a knowing gaze. "But someone among your number decided to shoot at us."

As Briarthorn and The Violet Chaplain come into view, he motions them toward the others. "Please, join your comrades, if you've given up trying to kill that old beetle." He rakes a hand through shoulder-length black hair, his cold blue eyes gleaming from beneath a heavy brow. "Did you see the blaze we left marking the safe trail?" he asks before falling silent.

Vamstar -8/7 - dead
Divitiakus 2/6
The Violet Chaplain 3/6
Robern 5/7
Briarthorn 3/6
Valkur 4/7
Last edited by Paladin on Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Karaunios »

Divitiakus advances before looking at his companions. "Let's try to keep calm here. We've come across many hostile creatures in this place. Let's not ruin the only time we encounter the only intelligent beings." He cracks a smile at the towering man.

"My name is Divitiakus. I'm a shaman from a distant tribe that lives far from here, at the other side of the Black Spire. My companions here, we met at the gates with the mission of exploring this hostile land and try to make it secure... well, at least a little territory within it, for people looking for a fresh start.

We saw the arrow marked on that rock, pointing to another path, if that's what you mean. We didn't know who put it there, so we suspected it could be a trap, given the experience we've had so far with the denizens of these lands.

I thank you for your intentions in helping us fence off the Night-Walkers, as you called them. As you can see, I've already received several wounds and can't risk being on the front line, so I decided to run and live to fight another day. It's a comfort that we get to encounter people willing to talk in this place, and with a look of honesty on their faces.

But, allow me to inquire: what's your name? Why is it that you're outcasted here in this harsh land? Why is it that you can't approach the gates of Greyheart?"

Modric
Guide
Guide

#170 Post by Modric »

Robern

Laughing nervously, responds, Ah yes, mistakes were made, but who among us has not erred in the past? What did that poet once say about forgiveness and divinity? We have a shaman in our company, who assuredly will impart the properly blessings and such... Now that this unpleasantness is behind us, let us make our introductions and proceed in peace! By the way, I am Robern. Who may you be, men, elves, and dwarf?

My charisma is 13. Not sure if I can try to charm them or something...!

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#171 Post by Paladin »

"Indeed this is a hostile land to all who tread this cursed stone," the tall man replies. "You are wise to mistrust your eyes in this place," he continues, sweeping the area around them with the narrow-eyed gaze of a hunted man.

"Your mind will deceive you. Your ears will hear soul-blasting secrets mumbled at blood-soaked altars while masses of nightwalkers crowd the fires to worship their nameless god. Nothing and no one can you trust."

His serious demeanor breaks when he regards Robern and the man's light-hearted attempt to diffuse the situation. Deep laughter rumbles in the cavern of his chest and he breaks into a wolf-like grin. "Wise words. I am called Gaius." He motions to the party behind him. "And these are my people. Perhaps you will come to know us better, in time. And what may we call you?"

Gaius glances back down the trail, then fixes Divitiakus with his stern gaze. "You say you came from inside the gates? And your mission is to find land for a settlement?"

He looks over his shoulder as a murmur arises among his warriors. "Be silent," he commands in a soft voice. "Sound carries far in this wicked place, and we've made more than enough noise already." He motions for them to fan out to either side and clear a path, then waves for the Shaman and his companions to come forward. "Walk with me, my friends."

Vamstar -8/7 - dead
Divitiakus 2/6
The Violet Chaplain 3/6
Robern 5/7
Briarthorn 3/6
Valkur 4/7

Cougbeav
Strider
Strider

#172 Post by Cougbeav »

Siegfried

Siegfried looks over the speaker and his crew and says"I think we best follow these fellas!!

He shoulders his axe and shield and begins to follow the new tribe.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Karaunios »

Divitiakus smiles and nods at Gaius. He then pats Siegfried on the shoulder. "You bet!"

As he starts walking, he says to the big man. "If you aren't like the rest, and you don't seem to be like them, I'm glad we crossed paths.

I can understand your men being uneasy when they heard that we're looking to stablish a settlement here. I guess you're not in good terms with the people at the other side of the wall, but I thought it would be better to be straightforward and tell you about our intentions. Maybe we can arrive to an understanding and their opinion of you will improve. Maybe there's an oportunity to improve the situation in this hostile land, so everyone here can live in peace.

But I know this is too soon to talk about this. It isn't wrong to think about the far future, in my opinion."

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#174 Post by beniliusbob »

Briarthorn Brightwater

Briarthorn brightens at the sight of other elves. "Brothers and sisters! What a sight for sore eyes you are!" She listens intently as Gaius tells his story.

The Violet Chaplain

The chaplain looks over her shoulder, lamenting the loss of two comrades. She had sworn not to let any more sword-sisters or shield-brothers die; and already she has failed twice. "Rest well, Vamstar and Haukr. May you find peace in another life."

Once she has gathered herself, she makes careful observation of Gaius's people, and watches the surrounding landscape for any sign of danger, her mace and shield still at the ready.

Modric
Guide
Guide

#175 Post by Modric »

Robern

Smiles at Gaius and bows deeply, Robern, at your service! We would most gladly come with you gentlemen.

As Robern follows the group, he asks Gaius How did you get beyond the Black Gate? What evil or chaos is stalking these lands?

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#176 Post by Paladin »

Gaius is silent for a long moment, his brow furrowed. When he finally opens his mouth to speak, one of the warriors that falls in behind them places a hand on his shoulder.

"Gaius..." He sends the tall man a meaningful look. The second man is a head shorter, but broad and powerfully built. He shakes his head, but Gaius pushes his hand away.

"Peace, Thalnor. I'll not be shushed like a child." As the two men wage their battle of wills, Gaius leads you down the stone pathway. It drops slowly as you progress, and he takes several turns at various intersections until you're all but dizzy from the process.

He clears his throat. "Pay no heed to Thalnor," he says dismissively. "He worries overmuch."

"As should you, Gaius," the other man growls before dropping back to join the others. "Just remember what's at stake."

Gaius waves him off and glances at Divitiakus. "I'm a murderer," he says bluntly. "Or I was. In another life." He gestures to the assortment of lean, hungry faces behind them. "We all have a story. Most of them unpleasant." He rubs the shadow of beard stubble on his chin. "They didn't tell you that criminals are exiled beyond the spire, did they?"

A slow, sardonic grin pulls at the hard line of his lips. "Of course they wouldn't. They expect we've all died horrible deaths at the hands of these savages and their hands are clean, their consciences easy."

He scans the path ahead. Without warning, a massive horned beast crosses a broad intersection before you. Gaius freezes in place--his warriors do the same. The shaggy, four-legged creature eyes the ranks of warriors and adventurers for a long moment, then slumps down a wide corridor leading away from you. Several seconds later, Gaius relaxes and continues leading you through the maze of stone.

"As you may imagine, we take news of Greyhearth sending out scouts and possibly men-at-arms to establish a colony with some trepidation. What becomes of us if our home is discovered?" He pauses briefly and shrugs. Gaius gestures toward a blank stone wall directly in front of you.

One of the warriors jogs forward and kneels before the wall. He mumbles a brief chant and the stone facade fades away until a gaping arched opening is revealed. He rejoins the ranks and Gaius nods his thanks. "Welcome to The Warren." With that, he strides forward. The warriors cluster in behind you and herd forward anyone who lags behind.

It remains to be seen whether you are prisoners or guests.
As you enter the opening, you are confronted with yet another passage delving directly into the mountain. "The nightwalkers are undead, as I'm sure you've discovered," Gaius says. "They are possessed by the spirit of some fell wizard, or so we guess. Some of our people have heard his voice tickling our senses when we fight the walkers. We've lost many brothers to his influence. He takes their minds and starves their bodies until they fall dead, then resurrects them and forces them to continue their service in his name."

Gaius falls silent and his expression is grim. "And we can ill afford to lose men. These demoniac things began appearing some months ago with no warning to herald their coming. As far as we can see, they have no common purpose. They worship their maker and murder all who fall into their grasp. We can barely hunt without being accosted. Every party that ventures forth risks losing more men to these devils."

He ceases speaking as you traverse the passage and focuses on the way forward. It is cramped, damp, and dark. A lit torch is brought forward and Gaius takes it and holds it aloft as you continue.

Vamstar -8/7 - dead
Divitiakus 2/6
The Violet Chaplain 3/6
Robern 5/7
Briarthorn 3/6
Valkur 4/7

Modric
Guide
Guide

#177 Post by Modric »

Robern

Consider the situation they are in, says, Thank you Gaius. We have all done things we're not proud of. Mine involved the millwright's daughter and an angry mob. That millwright has some powerful friends...

When we stop, I'd like to apply first aid to heal my wounds

Cougbeav
Strider
Strider

#178 Post by Cougbeav »

Siegfried

Sieg slings his shield over his back and hangs his axe on his belt. A clear sign that he trusts these "criminals" and is not looking for violence. "Seems to me that you are the first colony established here and ye folks can be the best scouts and foragers to begin peace in this god forsaken land. I be a simple mercenary and not a politic dwarf and I feel that if ye treat as fair and just we can be a good reference for ye and yer tribe!!"

Much like Australia's early history a penal colony became a great nation. Of course these are not the highest moral folks but if we can find out who can be trusted these folks could be a big help to us.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Karaunios »

Divitiakus

The shaman listen attentively to everything that's said by Gaius, Robern and Siegfried. "I understand why Thalnor was reluctant to let you show us your hideout and tell us all about your situation, but, as you can see, we all have a story.

I left my tribe because of some... disagreements with my clan's shaman. That's not a crime, but it pretty much left me without a place I could call home. None of us here owe loyalty to whoever rules on the other side of the Black Spire, but I'm sure, although I can't speak for all, that we wouldn't feel comfortable making enemies with them.

We aren't that different you and us. We are soldiers of fortune, mercenaries, adventures. We risk our lives looking for gold and a future comfortable life gained through harships. No man in his right mind would come here if he wasn't expecting any of that.

Maybe some day we, together, will be able to improve the situation here. And when the people at the other side of the wall know about your taking part in the pacification of this land, hopefully your crimes will be pardoned...

This warlock you mentioned really intrigues me. So he's responsible for the darkness of this land. I bet he's also responsible for our companion Haukr's fate. The poor warrior died twice in the same day. He was fortunate to die in the way he most desired. We may have to trace a plan. But we barely know the layout of the land."

To make things easy, I'll roll for Divitiakus binding his wound already, and then you can apply it when you think it's appropriate, Paladin Bind wounds [1d4] = 4

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#180 Post by beniliusbob »

The Violet Chaplain

The Violet Chaplain adjusts her holy symbol at the mention of undead. Learning that the Warrens-folk are criminals, she keeps a steady eye on them and a hand near the mace hanging from her belt.

Briarthorn Brightwater

The elf approaches the man who dispelled the illusory wall. "Now, that was some magic! I'm a bit of a student of the arcane, myself. Where did you learn such a fine spell, if you don't mind me asking?"

Return to “Beyond the Black Spire (S&W)”