The Role of Books...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Role of Books...

#21 Post by hedgeknight »

I recommend Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself, Before They Were Hanged, & Last Argument of Kings), followed by nearly everything else the man has written!
For some lighthearted fun with your fantasy, start with A Spell For Chameleon by Piers Anthony...and strap in for a wild ride through the rest of his numerous Xanth novels.

I also recommend the five-book series of The Belgariad by David Eddings; 1st book is Pawn of Prophecy.

And since no one has mentioned it yet, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. Absolutely brilliant!
(Note: I've only read the first two chronicles...the last one was unnecessary and I didn't bother with it. ;) )

And finally, if you haven't already, you must read Frank Herbert's Dune.

I could recommend a hundred more, but Inferno's list will keep one busy for half of their lifetime on its own! :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

For what it's worth and someone may have already shared this but openlibrary.org is a good place to get some eBooks or audio books if anyone is looking for that. https://openlibrary.org/
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#23 Post by Scott308 »

hedgeknight wrote:For some lighthearted fun with your fantasy, start with A Spell For Chameleon by Piers Anthony...and strap in for a wild ride through the rest of his numerous Xanth novels.
I loved the Xanth series! I've actually been working on picking up all of his books over the last few years. I haven't read anything that's been released after I stopped reading that sort of stuff 30 years or so ago, but what I had read I really liked. Another series by him that is really good is his Adept series, although it is more sci-fi.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:
hedgeknight wrote:For some lighthearted fun with your fantasy, start with A Spell For Chameleon by Piers Anthony...and strap in for a wild ride through the rest of his numerous Xanth novels.
I loved the Xanth series!
Same.

I actually re-read A Spell For Chameleon a month or so ago. I have no idea how many books are in that series, but I'm pretty sure I read 4 or 5 of them growing up,
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by rredmond »

I liked the Adept series better. I have at least the first four or five Xanth books. I re-read Spell for Chameleon and was surprised at how many times Piers Anthony used the word "rapine" but the story and world are pretty good, and I don't know how many I read of them when I was a teen.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

GreyWolfVT

#26 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I read a fair amount of the Xanth series and some of it got a bit too weird for me but yes Piers Anthony is a good author.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#27 Post by Scott308 »

I know there were some discussions online within the last few years about Anthony and the possible misogyny in his books. I didn't pick up on it when I was a kid, but I know there were people that due to this discussion said that, even though they used to enjoy the books, they would never buy or read them again.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by cybersavant »

hedgeknight wrote:
And since no one has mentioned it yet, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. Absolutely brilliant!
(Note: I've only read the first two chronicles...the last one was unnecessary and I didn't bother with it. ;) )

You're one of the few people i know of with that opinion. At university, in my fantasy class, it was almost unanimous that it be dropped from future classes.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by cybersavant »

A question for the Salvatore fans :

my friend LOVED his Drizzt books, but never read any of his Star Wars books.

the first book of Salvatore's i read was a SW book - hated it

So, the question : has anyone read both series? if so, is his writing different?
gaming since 1980

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rex »

I am a big Xanth fan, have read them all. The Adept is excellent as well. I fall in the didn't like Thomas Covenant series group, but I have read them all. I don't get caught up in the micro analyzing stories bit, I either liked it or not.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by dmw71 »

I hesitate to mention it because it does include some controversial or insensitive situations (e.g. slavery, misogyny, a rape scene) but I loved The Sleeping Dragon; book one of the Guardian of the Flame series.

The whole portal fantasy aspect felt so real to my teenage mind; I can't tell you how many times I found myself wishing something like that (being transported into the game world as your character) was possible. I would totally not live very long, but it would still be cool!
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by ravenn4544 »

The joe abecrombie series mentioned above is great. I loved that one. I have tried to read the covenant series a few times over the years but just couldn't get into it for some reason. Maybe it's time to try again :).

The belgariad series (i think 10 in total) was great as i remember from reading that one decades ago.

Another one that is really good is 'The Name of the Wind' by patrick rothfuss. it's supposed to be a series but that seems to have stalled (there are two books out). If you just read the first one and call it done you won't be disappointed, I loved that one.

The Xanth series was very popular when i was growing up and I read most of them and think i still have many of them.

Another one that is a fun read is the Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch (3 books i think).

Appreciate the continued recommendations!

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

cybersavant wrote:A question for the Salvatore fans :

my friend LOVED his Drizzt books, but never read any of his Star Wars books.

the first book of Salvatore's i read was a SW book - hated it

So, the question : has anyone read both series? if so, is his writing different?
Honestly, I planned to give his Star Wars books a read but I just haven't gotten to it. I have however read his Saga of the first King book 1 The Highwayman and I am a bit undecided I was going to read the rest of that series but just haven't gotten to it since I went off on another track reading more FR novels, Ravenloft Novels and DragonLance Novels.

Scott308

#34 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:I hesitate to mention it because it does include some controversial or insensitive situations (e.g. slavery, misogyny, a rape scene) but I loved The Sleeping Dragon; book one of the Guardian of the Flame series.
I loved the Guardians of the Flame series! Another series I liked was the Magic Kingdom For Sale series by Terry Brooks. Also, the Myth series by Robert Aspirin.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by tibbius »

I very vaguely remember Magic Kingdom for Sale, that was thirty years ago but I think I liked it. I read the Myth series many times in my tween years, still think it is a great example of picaresque fiction.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by cybersavant »

if you like Robert Asprin's MYTH series, look for Craig Shaw Gardener
gaming since 1980

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by tibbius »

cybersavant wrote:if you like Robert Asprin's MYTH series, look for Craig Shaw Gardener
When I saw the titles, I said "ah - sophomore year!" I remember Ebenezum especially. Somewhat slapstick but engaging.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Scott308

#38 Post by Scott308 »

I read the Ebenezum series! I had totally forgotten about that, but it was good stuff!

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by tibbius »

I'm just a chapter into it, but I'm thinking that The Snow Leopard will impact at least my writing style and possibly the themes of my games.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rex »

If you are talking about the book by Peter Matthiessen, it is an excellent book for sure. Not a fantasy book of course more of a naturalist/theological discourse. It was required ready in one of my theology courses long ago.

Return to “General RPG discussion”