[013] On to Damkina

ffilz
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [013] On to Damkina

#41 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Foix replies “Thank you M’sieu Corona for your presentation. You are, of course, right my information may be dated and I am grateful for your candour”.

“I considered the possibility of directing the Marburg beyond Damkina to return to the heart of the Domain. There are certain matters there to address and this would appear to be a reasonable and cautious measure for such a vessel given the current instability within the Rift. Concealing my retinue aboard would be merely a matter of discretion on behalf of the crew *”.

“As to your discretion M'sieu I am grateful but I believe a better means of securing both your generous loyalty and ongoing expertise would be to offer you employment with House Foix? Given the present company you can see how I would disarm my enemies at a stroke - both by surrounding you with beauty and paying you handsomely. My Knight has an interest in the mechanics of the House so perhaps you would take a post as herald to Lady Anevay, Chevalier du Maison Foix?”
Vee turns her attention to Larry for his response, holding his gaze levelly as she does.
Tiglath wrote:At Ana’s last he smiles “My old comrade confuses me with an earlier and sadly, much less handsome version of myself, who frequently had to deal with whole bevies of beautiful yet justifiably angry ladies. Fortunately experiences such as defending myself against the wrath of both the Baron of Lorrissia’s daughters at a seafood buffet have equipped me well for such circumstances. I must add that the entire incident was caused by an unfortunate accident of alcohol and adjoining rooms from which their architect escaped an amount of blame which I believe was unfairly borne by myself”.
Vee -just- manages to not roll her eyes, but a small sigh escapes her lips as she looks to Sarah for aid. "Who knew that managing semi-retired generals was so, um, mentally engaging?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Ramona »

You know I was just getting getting to a point where I could sleep through the night without waking up feeling agoraphobic a dozen times and now we have to move again.” Ana grabs Sara’s hand and gives it a squeeze, “Sorry sweetie, looks like there will be a few more nights of me sleeping under the bunk again.

Seriously what is with you and the flowers my lord, last time I gave ... you know what, never mind half of you were still in high-school last time.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Cmdr. Taheri

She considers Larry. To herself, He talks a lot. We shall see what kind of person he really is. She takes a tiny sip of the cocktail, nods at Larry, and goes back to impersonating wallpaper. There is much to learn here, motivations, personalities. I think I need an org chart to keep everyone straight. Meanwhile, listen.
SpinwardMarch

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#44 Post by lenusmars »

Ramona wrote:She steps aside her heels click on the deck and nods towards a somewhat smaller red-haired woman standing next to her, “This is Sara. Sara is in charge of me, the gravity in our cabin and making sure we all don’t die by accidentally flying into a sun.”
Sara is in her mid-twenties. She is quite short, though curvy for her height. She's slightly baby-faced, with a fair skin, wide sparkling eyes, an open, cheerful expression, and a head of fiery orange/red curls. She's wearing a saree of forest green, with an intricate gold patterning and trim, and is clearly not terribly comfortable in formal attire.

She snorts indelicately, but her expression remains cheerful. "Honestly, I hardly ever fly into suns."
Leitz wrote:He smiled once more at Ana, and relaxed, before lifting his glass to Sara. "Ms. Sara, who is in charge. If you're considering flying the Marburg, be clear on your handling expectations. She uses commercial passenger carrying controls, a gentle ride but a bit mushy if you need to turn and burn quickly."
Tiglath wrote:Foix appears to sigh “Larry this is Ana”. With perhaps unexpected reverence he adds “Ana is also properly known as a Baroness elect of House Foix, Général Anastasia Jones and the Saviour of Hessia. La Legion know her as La Flamme or later as La Sainte”. He smiles kindly “Perhaps she forgets her titles and honours due to her age - but others do not”.

Turning to the smaller red head Foix gives her a warm smile and cheerfully says“May I introduce Captain Sara Kelley, my most accomplished pilot and incidentally one of the very select group of women to whom I have given flowers”.
"And an honor to be both, Your Grace." She tries to start in a refined accent, not her own, but breaks into giggles an continues in her normal voice. "Nice to meet you, Larry. Sara is fine." She offers her hand. "Don't worry, you get used to them. This one hates attention," She bumps Ana, affectionately, with her arm."And that one seems to eat it for breakfast... and lunch... and probably dinner." she says, nodding at Foix. "They kind of balance each other."
Leitz wrote:"Captain Kelley, I am unfamiliar with the import of giving flowers, save as a part of courtship. I will consider it a symbol of value and respect, and treat you accordingly. As noted, the flight controls are tuned for passenger comfort. The bridge stations are suitably manned and most of the crew has passing familiarity with at least one other station."
"Good to know on the controls. I'm sure we'll be fine when I get to know her, though I hope we're not away from the Kiara Surabi for too long."

She shakes her head, smiling, at the exchange concerning the flowers between and Foix and Ana. She looks at Larry "Don't worry too much about the flowers, I had to look up the details myself." She gives the fluid shrug of someone brought up in low grav. "It was fun to get them, though, if overly dramatic. In any case it's always nice to meet new friends. I can only beat everyone else at poker so many times."

My, things picked up quickly.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:She shakes her head, smiling, at the exchange concerning the flowers between and Foix and Ana. She looks at Larry "Don't worry too much about the flowers, I had to look up the details myself." She gives the fluid shrug of someone brought up in low grav. "It was fun to get them, though, if overly dramatic. In any case it's always nice to meet new friends. I can only beat everyone else at poker so many times."
Which remind me I still have some items to reacquire. I really like your dress by the way, is it new?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Leitz »

joertexas wrote:
Tiglath wrote:Foix replies “Thank you M’sieu Corona for your presentation. You are, of course, right my information may be dated and I am grateful for your candour”.

“As to your discretion M'sieu I am grateful but I believe a better means of securing both your generous loyalty and ongoing expertise would be to offer you employment with House Foix? Given the present company you can see how I would disarm my enemies at a stroke - both by surrounding you with beauty and paying you handsomely. My Knight has an interest in the mechanics of the House so perhaps you would take a post as herald to Lady Anevay, Chevalier du Maison Foix?”
Vee turns her attention to Larry for his response, holding his gaze levelly as she does.
For a moment Larry wasn't sure quite what to say. Like many, he had heard rumors about how quickly things moved around the Comte. Not really having planned to be this close to the man, Larry hadn't put as much thought into the rumors has he would now have liked to. Still, things change in business all the time, adjust and keep moving forward. Take a breath, and sip from the glass. Buy your brain a moment to engage.

"Sir, that would be an honor above my station and a privilege undeserved." Larry smiled. "My resume and career details are at your disposal. However such records of a person are subject to careful episode selection. Would you mind a counter proposal? What if I work for you for the duration of a project; some number of weeks or months. Long enough for you to see how I work, and how I might best benefit your goals. Standard rates and expectations. At the end of the project we will have one of three likely results. First, you are unsatisfied with my work and we go our separate ways. Unlikely, but possible. Second, you like my work but we realize our goals are divergent. In that case, I would ask for a word of recommendation from you; that would go a long way to helping me achieve the business goals I have set for myself."

"Third, and also reasonably possible, is that you like my work and we agree that our goals are mutually supportive. At that point in time you will have a much better understanding of what I can and cannot do, and can assign me a role appropriately." Larry lifted his glass to the Comte. "I don't gamble, but do take on appropriate challenges. There are smarter and more skilled people out there, hoping you notice them. What I lack in gifts I make up for in action. Giving you the chance to see that works for both of us."

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#47 Post by lenusmars »

Ramona wrote:Which remind me I still have some items to reacquire. I really like your dress by the way, is it new?
Sara rolls her eyes good-naturedly. "Apparently there's a house tailor here. Ran into him in his workshop while touring the estate. ALL I said was that this was beautiful and reminded me of something Mama Priya would wear on formal occasions and the next day it was in the closet! Altered to fit me, and he didn't even measure anything. I already have more dresses than I ever thought I'd wear." She sighs. "At least in a saree I don't have to wear heels. On top of so called 'standard' gravity, those are just mean"

She glances down, shyly.

"Anyway, I thought you might like it."

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Tiglath »

Foix smiles at Larry and replies somewhat obliquely “M’sieu Corona, I am familiar with your resume - you have the qualifications and expertise we require. But, before we go on, might I offer my congratulations on your achievements thus far in the selection procedure?”

He continues “You have impressed Grimaud and I trust his judgement. He has no doubt assessed your character and suitability for the role through interview and numerous tests. Self discipline is a virtue in such a distracting environment as ours but just as vital is an appreciation of the aesthetic. You employ methods that show you have the necessary attention to detail that we require and not only a driven sense of duty but also the basic humanity to care for others. That you are standing before me now tells me that, to your credit, you have all these qualities”.

“However, M’sieu, you would not be employed as my herald but my Knight’s. The decision must, of course, be hers”. He turns to the dark skinned blonde next to him and says “Lady Anevay the matter is entirely in your hands”.

(OOC: Hey, grenade - catch! :) )
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:Sara rolls her eyes good-naturedly. "Apparently there's a house tailor here. Ran into him in his workshop while touring the estate. ALL I said was that this was beautiful and reminded me of something Mama Priya would wear on formal occasions and the next day it was in the closet! Altered to fit me, and he didn't even measure anything. I already have more dresses than I ever thought I'd wear." She sighs. "At least in a saree I don't have to wear heels. On top of so called 'standard' gravity, those are just mean"

She glances down, shyly.

"Anyway, I thought you might like it."
Ana taps her heals, “You get used to them, they are murder on your toes but look what they do to my legs.” She does a quick twirl for Sara.

You know it took me a week of practicing to wear them to my first formal, I swore never again and now look at me, a girl from a no account dustball on the fringes of the Imperium hanging out with a classy dame such as yourself.

Ana winks, “You look amazing by the way,” she leans in and gives Sara a kiss on the cheek.

You smell really pretty too.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:“However, M’sieu, you would not be employed as my herald but my Knight’s. The decision must, of course, be hers”. He turns to the dark skinned blonde next to him and says “Lady Anevay the matter is entirely in your hands”.
"Thank you, My Lord." Vee inclines her head in a respectful bow to her liege, and then turns her attention to Larry. "Mister Corona, I require the advisory services of someone familiar with goundside business operations. I am comfortable operating a ship, but this," she waves her hand to encompass the room, "is entirely another business."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Leitz »

joertexas wrote:"Thank you, My Lord." Vee inclines her head in a respectful bow to her liege, and then turns her attention to Larry. "Mister Corona, I require the advisory services of someone familiar with goundside business operations. I am comfortable operating a ship, but this," she waves her hand to encompass the room, "is entirely another business."
"Ma'am, I would be most happy to oblige." Larry smiled, and lifted his glass. "Sparkling water, my usual. I'm told it may not be appropriate for all occasions."

"Dirtside business operations are challenging. There is a natural filtration system when working aboard ship; everyone there has something in common with everyone else. Whether or not all parties are agreeable, there is an underling bond. Such is not the case with dirtside. You have a wider, but unfiltered, pool to draw from. Your success depends on establishing the filtration systems that fit you best. For example, many space support operations focus on semi-retired spacers. Those who want to settle down a little. They use the spacer bond and build the business of their dreams."

He smiled again. "So, it becomes a matter of your dreams. What drives you? What are your values? Anyone can produce a business, it takes Cr25 and some forms. Why would customers flock to your business? Why would employees dream of working for you?"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by joertexas »

Leitz wrote:"Ma'am, I would be most happy to oblige." Larry smiled, and lifted his glass. "Sparkling water, my usual. I'm told it may not be appropriate for all occasions."

"Dirtside business operations are challenging. There is a natural filtration system when working aboard ship; everyone there has something in common with everyone else. Whether or not all parties are agreeable, there is an underling bond. Such is not the case with dirtside. You have a wider, but unfiltered, pool to draw from. Your success depends on establishing the filtration systems that fit you best. For example, many space support operations focus on semi-retired spacers. Those who want to settle down a little. They use the spacer bond and build the business of their dreams."

He smiled again. "So, it becomes a matter of your dreams. What drives you? What are your values? Anyone can produce a business, it takes Cr25 and some forms. Why would customers flock to your business? Why would employees dream of working for you?"
"Exactly so," Vee replies with a smile. "There is the political side of things to consider as well, although that is more his," she glances at Foix, "station than mine. Nonetheless, I have real responsibilities to discharge in that arena. We can consider all of these things as we proceed." The blonde regards Larry for a moment. "Very well, then. Welcome aboard, Mister Corona. We will sit and discuss our path forward at our earliest opportunity."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Tiglath »

Foix, ignoring his own advice, appears momentarily distracted by Ana twirling in her heels. With a fond look at her and Sara he absently mutters “Flowers…”.

Catching up with the situation he seems delighted by Larry’s appointment and shakes his hand “Bravo M’sieu Corona! Congratulations indeed and welcome to House Foix!” Turning to Lady Anevay he smiles “I hope you won’t spend all your time cloistered with you new Herald. I hope to still be able to advise you on certain matters. The choice of earrings - that sort of thing. Those you have on are exquisite”.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Foix, ignoring his own advice, appears momentarily distracted by Ana twirling in her heels. With a fond look at her and Sara he absently mutters “Flowers…”.

Catching up with the situation he seems delighted by Larry’s appointment and shakes his hand “Bravo M’sieu Corona! Congratulations indeed and welcome to House Foix!” Turning to Lady Anevay he smiles “I hope you won’t spend all your time cloistered with you new Herald. I hope to still be able to advise you on certain matters. The choice of earrings - that sort of thing. Those you have on are exquisite”.
Vee shoots Foix a look of consternation as the color rises in her cheeks. "Behave yourself if you want to see more earrings." She recovers herself with a smile. "I thought they looked nice, too. And, yes, I will be sure to give Mister Corona time to attend to his own affairs."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Leitz »

Larry respectfully did not pay attention during the exchange between Vee and Foix. The room decor was most interesting...

When she had a free moment, Larry handed Vee his card. "Ma'am, my qualifications(1), for when you have time to review. On a related note, is there anything you would have me do, or pay attention to, at the moment?"

1. Basic PC info like UPP, skills, service record.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by joertexas »

Leitz wrote:Larry respectfully did not pay attention during the exchange between Vee and Foix. The room decor was most interesting...

When she had a free moment, Larry handed Vee his card. "Ma'am, my qualifications(1), for when you have time to review. On a related note, is there anything you would have me do, or pay attention to, at the moment?"

1. Basic PC info like UPP, skills, service record.
"Thank you," Vee replies with a smile. "I will review your record this evening, and we can convene in the morning after breakfast." She looked to Grimaud. "Grimaud, would you please make arrangements for Mister Corona to join us at breakfast?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Leitz »

Assuming he is dismissed for the evening, Larry will take his leave of Grimaud after finding out when and where he's supposed to be for breakfast.

As much as possible, on his way out, Larry will look at what is being done, and how it is being done. That will help him formulate plans for what he currently assumes Vee's requirements are. If he's free to do so, he will wander around and pleasantly chat with the guests and staff. Through the kitchen on the way back down, and where ever it seems he's free to go.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Tiglath »

Grimaud shakes Larry’s hand suddenly seeming a little more interpersonally awkward than earlier on. “Congratulations! Um ... here ... I’ll introduce you to the House's ... er ... house". He offers Larry a signet ring – unadorned save for one modest gem. When Larry puts it on he feels a faint tingle as Grimaud holds a similar ring of his own above Larry’s. “There you go! If you waggle it there’s a projectable holo map of the grounds and you’ll see your room’s highlighted. The ring is both your personal key and access to staff areas”.

Grimaud gives Larry a quick introductory briefing / "how to" guide to the plantation house and tells him when and where breakfast is.

(OOC: I thought I’d posted this - but clearly hadn’t! :roll: :oops: )

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Leitz »

Larry lowered his voice, and leaned in slightly. "Is everything okay? You seem, well, not your best self. Earlier I would have bet you were the key to the kingdom, and *his* response to you confirmed that I would have won that bet. Have I done something to upset you, already?"

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Tiglath »

Grimaud replies amiably "No, not at all, I am just naturally not a people person. Focussed on a task front of house or in the kitchen I am a driven perfectionist but informally I am ... a little less forceful". He gives a self conscious chuckle "Perhaps this is just as well!"

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”