5e: Hardcore Mode

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

5e: Hardcore Mode

#1 Post by dmw71 »

To avoid constantly blowing up the 'Looking for players or games' topic, I figured I'd shift the rule discussion here.
[b][url=http://www.unseenservant.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=472626#p472626]Rex[/url][/b] wrote:I bought the Hardcore Mode, PDF and it looks interesting. Not sure I would use all of it but as someone who likes the gritter feel games I like some of it for sure.
Here are the different character rules:
Hardcore Heroes.jpg
Hardcore Heroes.jpg (44.04 KiB) Viewed 5720 times
Out of curiosity, what do you like from the above? Not like?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 5e: Hardcore Mode

#2 Post by Rex »

I am fine with everything except Zymer's Candle, its to video gameish for me. The question is would I want all of them at once or maybe just a few. Depends on what you intend for the campaign really.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:I am fine with everything except Zymer's Candle, its to video gameish for me.
I haven't read that rule yet, but just did a search in the house rule document and there is one mention of "candle" in it:
  • Characters can carry a number of items
    equal to their Strength scores. Yes, that
    includes candle sticks.
    Items that :it in a
    small bag or pouch count as one item. Coins
    in increments of 100 count as one item.
I'll definitely need to check that rule out.
Rex wrote:The question is would I want all of them at once or maybe just a few. Depends on what you intend for the campaign really.
It's tough to say. I haven't read the supplement yet, just the two-page house rule document.

That said, I was thinking of going all-in.

Maybe not for a full campaign, or maybe not even a complete one-shot (which in play-by-post can take months), but maybe for a few encounters. To start. The game could obviously continue if it's a success.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Zymer's Candle is a reset rule. You light it and leave it there burning. It requires at least one individual be alive to invoke it, once invoked everyone starts over at the place and time where the candle was lit (even if they died since it was lit).

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote:Zymer's Candle is a reset rule. You light it and leave it there burning. It requires at least one individual be alive to invoke it, once invoked everyone starts over at the place and time where the candle was lit (even if they died since it was lit).
So it's like setting a respawn point (like a bed in Minecraft; which is really the only video game I play).

It is very video gamish, but so, too, are a lot of magical elements in the game. I've heard it argued that many RPG video games wouldn't exist today if not for TTRPGs (D&D in particular), so there is some background there.

Using it could make for some interesting role-playing. But, I can also see how it could turn the DM into a prick if they ever rule that the candle gets burnt out, or someone/something takes the candle left burning, etc...

I don't know? I mean, I'm not totally opposed to trying it. I think, with all the more brutal character creation rules, it could end up really saving a party.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

That is why I think it got included. Having grown up with very old school D&D, loss of a character doesn't bother me so much, just make another and keep going.

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by AsenRG »

Out of curiosity, what are the rules for "Injured" like?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

You become injured once you take any wound of 10+ HP damage. Once injured you can't "Grit your Teeth" to recover HP (basically using your HD to recover HP in combat, new rule), Skill rolls lose your attribute bonus, but not the penalty. You lose your Dex bonus to AC. It only applies once.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Norjax »

I had to go back Here... to understand the details of what is being discussed.

As stated, this is partially influenced by Dungeon Crawl Classics. In addition to 3d6 down the line, roll to cast and capping advancement at 10th level, the Background and Fate tables are similar to the "Occupation" and "Birth Augur and Lucky Roll" tables used during DCC character creation.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Norjax wrote:As stated, this is partially influenced by Dungeon Crawl Classics.
That game comes with high praise:
DCC.jpg
DCC.jpg (32.52 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
I'm just still reluctant to drop $24.99 on a PDF of a game I'll likely never play. Maybe? But not now.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#11 Post by Scott308 »

I'm playing in a DCC game online right now. The magic system is pretty awesome...maybe even too awesome. My mage has twice in the three weeks we've been playing, rolled too high and supercharged the spell being cast. Once was on a ship, and the spell ended up causing fire damage to everything around me, and ended up killing one of the crew.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

I have toyed with using some of the DCC magic system in a 1E game. I have only played DCC once but the part I liked most was the magic.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:I'm playing in a DCC game online right now. The magic system is pretty awesome...maybe even too awesome.
Rex wrote:I have only played DCC once but the part I liked most was the magic.
dmw71 wrote:I'm just still reluctant to drop $24.99 on a PDF of a game I'll likely never play. Maybe? But not now.
Further confirmation that the magic system is impressive is making me more tempted to pick this up.

I will wait until the Play It Forward Event (May 4 to May 17) to ultimately decide.
-- Project --
-- DM --

AsenRG
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by AsenRG »

dmw71 wrote:
Scott308 wrote:I'm playing in a DCC game online right now. The magic system is pretty awesome...maybe even too awesome.
Rex wrote:I have only played DCC once but the part I liked most was the magic.
dmw71 wrote:I'm just still reluctant to drop $24.99 on a PDF of a game I'll likely never play. Maybe? But not now.
Further confirmation that the magic system is impressive is making me more tempted to pick this up.

I will wait until the Play It Forward Event (May 4 to May 17) to ultimately decide.
You have probably decided already, but I just want you to know that it's the Warrior's (and Dwarf's) Mighty Deeds that are the best part of the game, not some mumbo-jumbo :mrgreen: !

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Starbeard »

Just saw this. It looks pretty interesting and all of it seems to go exactly in the direction I'd like my 5e game to go.

Well, except for the candle rule. In principle I don't mind it, and it is a good way to bring in the "save point" element of JRPGs into a tabletop game—but my main problem with it is that it just seems too impractical for a tabletop game. Everyone has a hard enough time keeping track of everything just going forward, I can't imagine having to also keep track of the entire game's frozen state every time the candle is reset.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

Starbeard wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:59 am Just saw this. It looks pretty interesting and all of it seems to go exactly in the direction I'd like my 5e game to go.
Yeah, I still want to try it out sometime. I think it could make for a fun game.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “House rules”