Unspoken words 2 (OOC)

wolfpack
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Unspoken words 2 (OOC)

#301 Post by Storm11 »

Mine is in mental health nursing. This tech stuff is WELL beyond me. It has no FEELINGS!

But my first one was a vic 20 too. That tennis ball game. Lawks
Greys Campaign.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#302 Post by redwarrior »

My undergrad was History (well, it was really ROTC, but you couldn't get a degree in THAT, at least then).
Then I was weird and got AAs (if people are not in the states, shorter, more technical degrees) in Computer Programming and Database Management. Those were both within 2 years of getting hired as a programmer despite no knowledge - Yay Y2K!!!!
Then I picked up a few Masters' (Management, MBA, and Strategic Studies) because why not?

Of all the degrees, the only ones that were relevant to work- for a while - were the two AAs. You would think that as a manager, the Master's degrees would be relevant. But you would be wrong. Very, very wrong.

I still love History, unfortunately, its not exactly marketable.

Oh, first computer was the Tandy (?) MC-10 with the cassette tape drive!

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#303 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Storm11 wrote:Mine is in mental health nursing. This tech stuff is WELL beyond me. It has no FEELINGS!

You might find it odd or interesting but I took sociology, & ethics classes in college. Nobody could understand why a IT major was doing that. I said to better understand my users ;) :lol:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by wolfpack »

1st pc was a commadore 64

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#305 Post by spanningtree »

Storm11 wrote:Mine is in mental health nursing.
We all need a bit of that in the current world environment!

redwarrior wrote:Oh, first computer was the Tandy (?) MC-10 with the cassette tape drive!
Never heard of that one, had to look it up. Its a shame rat shack went under. You appear to have the most diverse education here! :shock:
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Storm11 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:
Storm11 wrote:Mine is in mental health nursing. This tech stuff is WELL beyond me. It has no FEELINGS!

You might find it odd or interesting but I took sociology, & ethics classes in college. Nobody could understand why a IT major was doing that. I said to better understand my users ;) :lol:
:D :lol: :lol:
spanningtree wrote:
Storm11 wrote:Mine is in mental health nursing.
We all need a bit of that in the current world environment!
:
Well in the UK we have had it rammed down our throats how difficult we must have found the self isolating, and to be sure there are many many people out there who are completely alone or in terrible relationship circumstances who have endured an awful time.

It just so happens that the people I know have mostly found this a really cathartic experience. Saving money and not having the pressures of having to see other people has really been a bit of a blessing for the introverted amongst our society, who also have the lucky circumstance of a lovely home life. So it’s a really interesting time for people. An awful terrible death filled interesting time. One no one of any sanity at all would have wished upon the world. Yet silver linings can be found even in the worst of times it seems.

There are people like my mother who are desperate for it all to be over, and then people like some of my friends who want life in lockdown to last forever. People! Aren’t they brilliantly fascinating and uniquely grown. I am always fascinated how varied we are, and yet how often the only people we see as people, are the ones that look and think like we do. It makes absolutely no logical sense but it is the human race we are talking about after all
Last edited by Storm11 on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#307 Post by GreyWolfVT »

My first computer was an IBM PC 330 with windows 3.11 on it.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#308 Post by redwarrior »

spanningtree wrote:
redwarrior wrote:Oh, first computer was the Tandy (?) MC-10 with the cassette tape drive!
Never heard of that one, had to look it up. Its a shame rat shack went under. You appear to have the most diverse education here! :shock:

That's what happens when you get old and like school. :D

The History degree was PERFECTLY aligned with my active duty military career followed by tenure at a small liberal arts college that never came to be. I graduated right after the Berlin wall came down, crappy time to be all you could be. In other news, I just hit my "mandatory retirement" from the Reserves on Monday - what a long, strange trip that was.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by Storm11 »

:)
Last edited by Storm11 on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greys Campaign.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#310 Post by spanningtree »

redwarrior wrote:
spanningtree wrote:

what a long, strange trip that was.
Hey, thanks for your service. Quite an accomplishment!

I have an AS in EET as well, back when stuff used to be repairable at the board level. Got out of school and went right into IT. Most of the companies I have worked for have some kind of tuition reimbursement program, I look at it as leaving $$ on the table if not utilized. Plus, nighttime TV is the pits, so what else are you going to do?

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#311 Post by redwarrior »

Thanks. :-) So the Reserves wasn't my day job. I'm a Project Management Office Manager for a large state public services agency and have about 10ish years left before I call it quits on that.

I've got a baby side business doing one on one manager training/coaching (happy to go off after work hours - I can get really fired up) because most managers are horrible, but it's mostly because they never get taught how to actually do the job, it's kind of a labor of love for me to make management not suck and be seen as the profession (not role) that it should be.

I'm also considering going back and getting that PhD in history. I'm too old now to care about tenure, but there was a reason it was part of my plan A - love the topic. I'm also considering picking up a classics degree - but I am SO far behind the curve on that...

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#312 Post by redwarrior »

spanningtree wrote: I look at it as leaving $$ on the table if not utilized.
NEVER leave money on the table! GI Bill is why I have 2 of those Masters.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by Rex »

We use Kronos for our hourly employees. My staff is all salaried so I don't have to deal with it.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#314 Post by spanningtree »

wolfpack wrote:Be sure to check the good stuff thread for XP
Ruthgar leveled up to 4th.

Hit points: [1d8+2] = 6+2 = 8

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by wolfpack »

spanningtree wrote:
wolfpack wrote:Be sure to check the good stuff thread for XP
Ruthgar leveled up to 4th.

Hit points: [1d8+2] = 6+2 = 8
nice

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#316 Post by ravenn4544 »

My buddy growing up had the Vic-20 and we played adventure or whatever it was called. Good stuff. My dad was into computers and we got an apple iie. Cutting edge! Tried Zork for a while but then came wizardry - proving grounds of the mad overlord and Ultimate IV. Can’t remember how many hours spent playing those back in the day.

Still have the apple. Doesn’t work so well. Can’t let it go yet tho.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#317 Post by redwarrior »

Storm11 wrote: It just so happens that the people I know have mostly found this a really cathartic experience. Saving money and not having the pressures of having to see other people has really been a bit of a blessing for the introverted amongst our society, who also have the lucky circumstance of a lovely home life. So it’s a really interesting time for people. An awful terrible death filled interesting time. One no one of any sanity at all would have wished upon the world. Yet silver linings can be found even in the worst of times it seems.

There are people like my mother who are desperate for it all to be over, and then people like some of my friends who want life in lockdown to last forever. People! Aren’t they brilliantly fascinating and uniquely grown. I am always fascinated how varied we are, and yet how often the only people we see as people, are the ones that look and think like we do. It makes absolutely no logical sense but it is the human race we are talking about after all

As an introvert, I'm very similar. Regardless of my opinions of the lockdowns/shutdowns/etc. - Honestly, only the most minor of changes to my daily life (I did get a black market haircut, that's about it.), and I get to skip about 3 hours a day of commute. As a practical matter, it makes my job a bit harder. It's simply easier to manage better when you are in close physical proximity to both your directs as well as peers and superiors. That said, about 3 months in, I've gotten to the point that I've got good routines in place to address most of those process issues. Maybe adds about half an hour of overhead to my daily workload. But I'm driving 3 hours a day less, so....

On the plus side, It appears that our long term will be somewhere between 60%-100% teleworking going forward, which is a big change from "we don't like that here."

I wasn't sure how well the wife (home based graphic designer) were going to handle being underfoot of each other all day, but we've got a good routine established.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by wolfpack »

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#319 Post by wolfpack »

GreyWolfVT wrote:I love the spear and hammer granted Tolman experienced that hammer first hand.

i love the hammer photo

GreyWolfVT

#320 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I like the picture of the spear, hammer and ring.

Balasar leveled on his fighter class but not the mage side.
HP F L2 [1d10] = 5 halved 2.5

Return to “Times of Antiquity Campaign (1e)”