Rules: Combat

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Rules: Combat

#1 Post by Leitz »

For reference, here are the current Combat rules.

Combat
======
The basic "To Hit" roll is 8+.

For each 2 points the modified roll is above 8, add +1 hit point of damage.

Some equipment tends to expand capabilities more than modify To Hit.
For example, a rifle scope would not add to the "To Hit" roll but would negate some distance modifiers.

Initiative
----------
Initiative is 1d6 + Morale. Groups of non-intelligent creatures roll initiative as a group.
If a group has done a successful Recon, they get +1 on the battle's first Initiative roll.

Actions
-------
Each level of skill allows for a related combat action, per round. A character with Sword-3 can attack three times per combat round, or attack once, move some, and attack again. A person with Rifle-3 could move to cover, aim, and fire once, with a bonus to hit.

Characters with more attacks per round can act once before their opponent, even if the character does not have initiative.

Morale
------
Morale Check Triggers
Character is surprised.
When the character first takes damage.
The lesser of their End, or 50% of their total hit points.
When at or past 75% total hit points.

Morale Check Results
Each subsequent failed Morale check means an additional -1.
Failure means the individual takes a -1 on all actions, including Morale Checks.
Failures are cumulative.
When a character reaches -4, they will flee, surrender, or are otherwise rendered combat ineffective.

Large groups of unintelligent creatures roll morale as a group.
Modifiers are based on each 25% of the group that has been rendered combat ineffective.

Armor (Low Tech setting)
-----
Armor reduces chance to be hit, and damage taken. A shield is cumulative with the reduction
in chance to be hit, but does not affect damage taken.
Light -1
Med -2
Heavy -3
Shield -1

Weapons (Low Tech setting)
-------
Brawling 1d3 Punches, kicks, clubs, rocks (hand held or thrown), chairs, etc.
Spear, 1h 1d6 Held in one hand. Can use shield.
Spear, 2h 2d6 Held in both hands. Cannot use shield.
Sword, 1h 1d6 Held in one hand. Can use shield.
Sword, 2h 2d6 Held in both hands. Cannot use shield.

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Rules: Combat

#2 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

Thanks, good to have this handy!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Leitz »

Combat rounds are 15 seconds long, more or less. In tibbus post, Mateusz attacks, and sees Hans double-teamed. Mateusz "makes a move in that direction", and I think that's fine. The movement isn't significant enough to evade his own opponent, he's just ensuring the DM knows that helping Hans is in his plan.

Is anyone seeing issues with the combat mechanics so far?

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

Leitz wrote:Combat rounds are 15 seconds long, more or less. In tibbus post, Mateusz attacks, and sees Hans double-teamed. Mateusz "makes a move in that direction", and I think that's fine. The movement isn't significant enough to evade his own opponent, he's just ensuring the DM knows that helping Hans is in his plan.

Is anyone seeing issues with the combat mechanics so far?
I don't think it's an innate issue, but are you developing the system for tabletop or PbP? I've always felt that PbP benefits from a very quick combat system. Dialogue and social conflicts can play out slower, but combat may as well be limited to the bigger scale tactical decisions and avoid back and forth dice rolling as much as possible. I always feel like if any exchanges of rolls could be handled by the GM to skip a few turns of combat that would take up RL weeks then they should be.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Leitz »

Mr Stereo1 wrote:I don't think it's an innate issue, but are you developing the system for tabletop or PbP? I've always felt that PbP benefits from a very quick combat system. Dialogue and social conflicts can play out slower, but combat may as well be limited to the bigger scale tactical decisions and avoid back and forth dice rolling as much as possible. I always feel like if any exchanges of rolls could be handled by the GM to skip a few turns of combat that would take up RL weeks then they should be.
Well, hadn't thought about the difference between PbP and tabletop, but you're right. I'd like to give players the option to come up with brilliant ideas to save their hides, but at the same time keep things simple and fast.

Lets focus on PbP games, and improve the system with that in mind.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Leitz »

Are there any issues or questions on combat that we need to resolve before we move forward?

Return to “The Other Party (2d6 OGL Homebrew)”