Stirling
Gremlin
Guide
Guide

Re: It all begins ... on a train:

#81 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

Eight of Spades

Alice scowls at the passengers that point fingers at her. The ingratitude! She springs up out of her seat, answering Miss Molly's question with a loud "Haaaa!" as she slashes her sword at the new bandit.

Fighting roll [1d8] = 2, Wild die [1d6] = 2

+2 for 'unarmed defender' (one character has a melee weapon and the other doesn't) makes the result a 4 to hit, but the target number is Molly's parry. If this is considered getting 'The Drop' on her, it would be another +4 to attack and damage.

If it does hit, because the dice still hate me, the damage would be
Sword damage [1d6] = 1[1d6] = 2. So either 3 or 7.
Last edited by Gremlin on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#82 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

I think I am going to use Aim and spend the round taking a bead on the rifle man so I can negate the unstable platform penalty.

Rourke braces his arm on one knee, stares down the barrel to set his sights on the guys torso. I hope the distance is within the short range (120'ft) so there is no more penalty.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Stirling »

Denver-Pacific train to Cheyenne.

18 miles south of Cheyenne.
5.06pm.

The action scenes continue. Rourke takes a moment to settle himself and picks his target.

Junior double taps shooting [1d4-3] = 4-3 = 1
Boss Slim double taps shooting [1d6-3] = 5-3 = 2 wildcard [1d6-3] = 6-3 = 3
Boss Slim double taps shooting wildcard ace re-roll [1d6] = 5
Boss Slim damage +1 & raise. [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6[1d6] = 1
Boss Slim damage Ace re-roll . [1d6] = 2 further roll [1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4shooting = 10 damage = 14
Gaunt Joe [1d4-2] = 1-2 = -1

The gaunt figure turns around to check on his gang, hearing the distant gunfire over the top of the engine noise. He looks and sees a figure poised to take a pot shot at him. Rising he fires off some rifle shots that go high, wide and not very handsome. The bandits in the 1st carriage continue to shoot into the roof. Bullets pepper the woodwork. He ain't running anymore. Guess he might be about here." Boss Slim declares and fires. His shot finds a mark and
Rourke gets shaken and two wounds.

In the third carriage, Alice springs to melee with Molly. since the shotgun can be used as a club, Molly is not unarmed. I will consider your previous post to hold and ready swords as getting the drop however. The pair grapple in a vicious catfight, the bandit woman gets coshed across the head and momentarily gets shaken failing her resolve in the face of the blade wielding attacker.

Molly makes Shaken spirit roll [1d4] = 1

The passenger makes a grab for the loose pistol and fires at Banjo, the bullet hitting the woodwork above his head. It is the last thing he does as the bandit steps forward and blasts him from point blank range.

Banjo shotgun fires [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6 damage [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 6I no need to roll ace damage as extras take 1 wound.

He begins to hurriedly reload the shotgun as the train heist looks to be turning tide against the bandits.

Rourke may soak wounds before proceeding to next round actions.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Rourke: Vigour roll to remove wounds and shaken.[1d8] = 1 Wild Card [1d6] = 6

Rourke: Wild Card re-roll [1d6] = 4 total 10.

My understanding is that this removes both wounds and the shaken condition as it is a success with a single raise against a target of 8.

I am last to act so will wait for Alice and results of bandits actions but I will shoot at the gaunt rifleman having spent a round aiming.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#85 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

King of Diamonds

Alice realizes she has been so focused on the bandits she hasn't paid enough attention to the weapons they were wielding. Mentally admonishing herself, she presses her attack against the dazed woman while the other bandit is reloading. During the melee she tries to maneuver her position so the bandit woman is interposed between herself and the other bandit, hopefully making it harder for the other bandit to shoot at her.

Fighting roll [1d8] = 4, Wild die [1d6] = 2

I don't know what Molly's parry is, but if that hits then the damage is Sword damage [1d6] = 5[1d6] = 6 Ace roll [1d6] = 4 15 Damage

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Stirling »

17 miles south of Cheyenne.
5.07pm.

Rourke, lady luck smiles on the rooftop gunslinger as he avoids near fatal injury by the slightest of margins. Unwounded and unshaken he aims but not before the bandits act.

Gaunt Joe DTap rifle [1d4-1] = 2-1 = 1 The tall lean figure warding the engineer and driver stands atop the coal pile and fires off another couple of rounds. Lacking skill, the bullets whizz by overhead.

"Get out there Junior and knock that rooster of his perch!" Boss Slim directs his bandit acolyte outside while he again fires through the roof before deciding to exit the rear of the carriage and climb up behind Rourke if neccessary. Junior fires blindly trying to guess where above on the carriage the gunslinger remains motionless. He exits the carriage front door.

Junior double taps shooting [1d4-3] = 1-3 = -2

Boss Slim double taps shooting [1d6-3] = 4-3 = 1 wildcard [1d6-3] = 5-3 = 2

In the 3rd carriage more carnage ensues.Alice hacks and stabs at the bandit woman who proves incompetent at brawling. Under a flurry of blows she is cut to shreds and falls limply into your arms. Just as well. Banjo reloads his shotgun and quickly fires, (the reload and fire multi action negating the shotgun shooting bonus), he blasts but only into the body of Molly.

after Rourke's action I will draw initiative cards again

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke feels the sway of the train as it hurtles down the track and the hail of bullets and splinters which fly around him. He is however in his 'zone', that calm area in the eye of the storm. He cricks his neck, steadies his hand a pulls the trigger.

Rourke fires pistol: Shooting skill [1d6] = 6 wildcard [1d6] = 1
Rourke: Shooting Ace [1d6] = 3 shooting total 9 vs TN 4, hits with a raise.

Rourke: Shooting damage+1 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 3 raise damage [1d6] = 5

13 hp of damage vs GJ toughness.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#88 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke acting in the next round 1st

Decides the roof of the carriage is a bit exposed. I am going to jump down from the roof to the front most gangway and shoot anyone, Junior bandit I think, as he comes through the doorway. I thought the bandits idea might be herding people down the carriages after robbing them was to give them space to unpin the locks and so cut the rear adrift.

I figure that Junior has fired six times so might need to reload before firing and that might give me a split second edge and there is no unstable platform shooting penalty once off the roof.

Rourke fires pistol: Shooting skill [1d6] = 2 wildcard [1d6] = 4
Rourke pistol damage (2d6+1): [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d1] = 1
Rourke damage Ace [1d6] = 5

Shooting = 4 damage = 17.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#89 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

Eight of Hearts

Bloody sword in hand, Alice darts down the carriage towards the last bandit. "Who do you think you are, killing innocent train passengers!" she exclaims angrily at him as she thrusts the blade towards his chest.

Fighting roll [1d8] = 8, Wild die [1d6] = 1, Ace roll [1d8] = 3

An 11 is a hit plus a raise unless his parry is higher than 7

Sword damage [1d6] = 2[1d6] = 3, raise damage [1d6] = 5

10 Damage

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Stirling »

5.08pm.

Rourke survives the storm of bullets heading his way on the rooftop of the train carriage. Taking a steadied aim he picks out the gaunt figure of the rifleman who is potshoting him from the coal bunker at the front of the train. His patience bears fruit as he hits the man right in the temple. Dropping the rifle he us launched head over heels to land life less on the engineer's footplate.

Rourke's next act is to descend from the roof with a leap to the gangway. Landing he turns and fires at Junior who charges through the door. A bullet takes him in the chest and he staggers backwards and falls lifeless of the train.

Three cars along, Alice challenges that shotgun loading Banjo. She stabs out, slicing her cold steel through his ribcage and twisting the blade to open him up. Wordless sounds are mouthed as he gasps, blubbering blood and pawing limply at the blade that skewers him. His staring and empty eyes show that he dies, joining the carcasses slowly turning the carriage into an abattoir.

Boss Slim gets to the end of the carriage and then sees Junior fall from a gun shot wound. He aims at Rourke and nails him.

Boss Slim double taps shooting [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 wildcard [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3
Boss Slim shooting damage [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d1] = 1
Boss Slim shooting damage Ace re-roll [1d6] = 2

Rourke again faces taking two wounds and the shaken status.

draw for next round and next actions.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Takes the bullet and the wounds. He staggers back then decides he has to go 'all in' calling as a last desperate gamble. He fans the hammer of his six gun, firing off the three shots,.more in hope than expectation. If he is going to go down, he will do it guns blazing.

Rourke: Vigour vs Shaken [1d8] = 2 wc [1d6] = 5

I think this is correct. I remove the Shaken effect but not the two wounds, hence my action suffers a -2 wound penalty and a further -4 for 'fanning the hammer'.

Rourke fans hammer of pistol [1d6-6] = 6-6 = 0 [1d6-6] = 1-6 = -5 [1d6-6] = 2-6 = -4 wild card [1d6-6] = 2-6 = -4
Rourke shooting Ace [1d6] = 6 extra ace [1d6] = 1 shooting = 13
Rourke: Shooting damage+1 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 raise damage [1d6] = 2
Rourke damage Ace [1d6] = 3 extra ace [1d6] = 4 damage = 17

He knows he got in a critical.shot but doesn't hang around to check, instead dodging aside from the door frame to take some minimal cover and reload using a 'quick reload' cylinder.

if this is not correct use as my next actions ... ;)

edited after reading rules :cry:
Sorry I misread the rules and cannot do a Vigour check to remove Shaken, it should be a Spirit roll. So I re-rolled and failed to remove the condition so scrub the shooting.

Rourke: spirit check vs Shaken [1d4] = 2 wc [1d6] = 3

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#92 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

Three of Diamonds

With no other foes in the carriage, Alice uses the duster of the last fallen bandit to quickly wipes the blood off of her sword. Unsure if there are still more bandits left on the train and with six bodies littering this passenger car, she can no longer just return to her seat and pretend nothing has happened. Not with other passengers pointing fingers at her.

Alice figures the next best course of action is to find the train conductor or engineer to either warn or help them against any remaining attackers. She retrieves her belongings and other sword and sets off towards the front of the train.

Alice is moving quickly but cautiously towards the front of the train, looking for someone of authority and to help anyone else in distress. Wiping her sword and retrieving her belongings is probably enough to count as an action for this turn.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Stirling »

5.09pm

Severely wounded, Rourke is unable to overcome the shock of being hit. It seems lady luck has run out and he dodges for cover, anticipating Boss Slim closing in for the kill. The gunman does fire again to finish you off but with cover you are screened from the shots.Boss Slim double taps shooting [1d6-1] = 1-1 = 0 wildcard [1d6-1] = 3-1 = 2

Alice wipes the blood off her blade and advances warily. Behind her a gaggle of passengers gather and out from among them step forward two of the train stewards. They usher the people to stay in the rear and though clearly hesitant in the face of such bloodshed, take up the dropped shotguns and flank the martial artist. The trio move to the gangway between the 3rd and 2nd carriage. Looking through the door window you see the remains of 'grandma' and beyond, on the next gangway, the bandit leader.

Boss Slim notices your approach and figures quite rightly that the train heist has gone bust. "Step no closer or I'll fill you full of lead just like that hombre yonder.
He got what's coming to him and you'll get it too if you step closer,"
he threatens. His taunt though fails to instill fear, instead a righteous anger arises in the Denver-Pacific linemen.

"Is that one of them no good, murderous curs? Let us blast him to hell." The stewards ask and each takes a turn to fire down the carriage walkway. Their shots are wayward but cause the bandit to duck for cover.

Steward no 1: shotgun fires [1d4] = 3 damage [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 Steward no 2: shotgun fires [1d4] = 3 damage [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 3

Rourke If you get unshaken with a raise I will use the rolled shooting for your next action.

initiative cards drawn, next actions please.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#94 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Rourke: spirit check vs Shaken [1d4+2] = 2+2 = 4 wc [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3

Damn! That I believe removes the Shaken but still bars me from all but free actions. Lady Luck gives but takes away just as quickly, the +2 helping relieve the condition but no further. He curses himself for not being able to manipulate Fate a little bit more (he has a major 'Bad Luck' Hindrance and thus -1 Fate chips).

Then he has an idea and switches to cursing Boss Slim and issues a Taunt the bandit. "Why you cowardly butcher of women and children. You couldn't hit a steer's ass with a banjo. You is lower than a rattlesnake's belly and I'm going to gun you down. I'm so fired up for justice I am even gonna beat you left-handed!"

Rourke Taunts Boss Slim (Smarts opposed roll) [1d6+2] = 5+2 = 7 wc [1d6+2] = 6+2 = 8Rourke Taunts. wc ace re-roll [1d6] = 1

If that works and I Taunt successful I should gain a +2 to my next attack actions vs Slim and a raise on the opposed roll means he gets Shaken as well. Taunt = 9

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Stirling »

16 miles south of Cheyenne.
5.10pm

Rourke is slow to recover finally from the physical shock of taking wounds which hamper his ability to attack. However he remains as quick-witted as ever and uses a skill to tease and provoke a reaction in the gang leader. Boss Slim hears the taunt and reacts.

Rourke your bad Luck continues as the two wounds mean you suffer a -2 to all trait rolls. I will still use the Ace score but the Taunt total is 7.

Boss Slim. Smarts vs taunt of Rourke [1d4] = 4 wc [1d6] = 1 GM spends Fate for re-roll and try to score more than 7.Boss Slim. Smarts vs taunt of Rourke [1d4] = 1 wc [1d6] = 4 .... hmm... ok.

Rourke succeeds in the taunt and gains a +2 action bonus next round but Slim is not shaken.

"Yeah, well you come face me like a man instead of heckling like a dog." he retorts. Checking what is happening with the gun totting stewards pot-shotting at him he fires their way to eliminate the growing threat of being hemmed in.

Boss Slim double taps shooting [1d6-1] = 4-1 = 3 wildcard [1d6-1] = 6-1 = 5
Boss Slim shooting damage [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 [1d1] = 1
Boss Slim damage Ace re-roll . [1d6] = 2

The second steward takes one in the throat and falls, bleeding out by Alice who now gets to act herself.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#96 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

Alice sees one of the Stewards standing right next to her take a bullet and fall. "Help your friend," she says to the other steward without looking before running the length of the carriage. She swings her sword at the neck of this latest bandit when she reaches him, looking to take his head clean off.

Fighting roll [1d8] = 8, Wild die [1d6] = 2
Ace roll [1d8] = 3

Has Boss Slim been shooting a pistol? That would give Alice the +2 Unarmed Defender bonus to hit. So either an 11 or 13 vs his parry.

Sword damage [1d6] = 5[1d6] = 6, raise damage [1d6] = 2
Ace roll [1d6] = 2

Total of 13 Damage or if she got the raise on her attack roll, 15 Damage

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Stirling »

Since you may use a pistol in melee, (SW pg84, Ranged weapons in close combat), Boss Slim is not counted as unarmed.

I will resolve the attack as it will impact the next round of actions.

Boss Slim Str d6, Ag d8, Sm d4, Sp d6 Vg d8. Parry 6 Toughness 6.

Boss Slim looks slimmer as the sword takes a piece out of him.
GM fate chip Boss Slim Vigour roll to eliminate wounds [1d8] = 2 wc [1d6] = 1 fails.

GM wildcards are alloted 2 Fate chips personally plus the GM gets a 'pool' of Fate chips equal to the number of players in the session. Boss Slim has used his personal allowance so GM uses a pool chip to re-re-roll his soak attempt.
Boss Slim Vigour roll to eliminate wounds [1d8] = 7 wc [1d6] = 1

A success. One wound is eliminated but Boss Slim still has 1 wound and the Shaken condition.

Draw made for next round. Actions please: and for drawing another Joker, Rourke take a Fate Chip bonus.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#98 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Darts from the gangway to fire down the carriage at Boss Slim.

Rourke fires pistol: Shooting skill [1d6+4] = 2+4 = 6 wildcard [1d6+4] = 3+4 = 7 sorry adjust by -2 I forgot to take my wounds into account. Shooting result is 5

Thinking about using Fate chip to gain re-roll as we really need to get a raise. No, I will roll normal damage and hope to Ace. I am not sure if taunt +2 bonus applies to damage or not?
Rourke: Shooting damage +1 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d1] = 1 +2 joker bonus damage [2d1] = 2 Rourke damage Ace [1d6] = 1 extra ace [1d6] = 2Damage = 11 I think that should be another wound.

I will use my movement to run inside the carriage and take shelter behind one of the benches.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#99 Post by Gremlin »

Alice

With a bullet whizzing past her ear, Alice spares a quick glance back at the shooter and yells, "Hey! Watch where you're shooting!" Returning her attention to the bandit, she attempts to finish him off with her sword.

Since Boss Slim is shaken, Alice is going to Wild Attack to try to end this. That's a +2 to the attack and damage rolls, but a -2 to her Parry this round (from 6 to 4).

Fighting roll [1d8] = 4, Wild die [1d6] = 1

With the +2 that barely hits his Parry.

Sword damage [1d6] = 1[1d6] = 2

And that's about the worst damage I could possibly roll, so 5 damage, which doesn't get through his Toughness. I guess Alice was distracted.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Stirling »

16 miles south of Cheyenne.
5.11pm.

I will address the actions in turn.

Boss Slim, sliced and diced by Alice takes a wound and remains shaken after fate intervenes to eliminate a 2nd wound.

Rourke, blessed by fate with some trait and taunt advantages, fires while hampered by his two wounds. He hits the bandit and looks to inflict another wound. Boss Slim draws on fate again to soak the wound and possibly remove his shaken condition.

Boss Slim Vigour roll to eliminate wounds [1d8-1] = 8-1 = 7 wc [1d6-1] = 2-1 = 1

It is enough to shrug off the bullet which grazes his shoulder and hits the woodwork by Alice. The bandit remains shaken as Alice continues her melee. She hits with her sword pommel but the bandit proves a grizzly opponent.

Spending a fifth fate chip to remove his shaken condition, Boss Slim fires at the martial artist grappling him.

He shoots with an ace: Boss Slim double taps shooting vs Alice [1d6-1] = 6-1 = 5 wildcard [1d6-1] = 1-1 = 0

which hits a critical spot:
Boss Slim shooting Ace re-roll . [1d6] = 6 Boss Slim shooting Ace re-roll . [1d6] = 2

and causes a raise on damage. total 13 damage

Boss Slim shooting damage [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d1] = 1 raise [1d6] = 5

From point blank range Alice is blasted and staggers back.

Before the bandit can rejoice in his success, the steward fires at Boss Slim.

Steward no 1: fires shotgun [1d4+2] = 3+2 = 5 damage [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1
Steward no 1: ace damage D1[1d6] = 6 D2 [1d6] = 1
Steward no 1: second ace damage D1[1d6] = 5

total 25 damage inflicting three wounds. Incapacitated instantly, he slumps to the floor, bits of grey brain matter and viscous gore matting the walnut veneers of the carriage interior.

"Got him!" exalts the steward before checking on Alice. "Are you okay Miss?"

He runs to the other passengers, "Is there a doctor aboard?"

Alice you may make immediate vigour rolls to soak wounds if you have fate chips left.

Rourke joins you in the carriage, both wounded and bleeding but victorious in stopping the train robbers.

Return to “Deadlands Reloaded (Savage Worlds)”