It all begins ... on a train:

Stirling
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: It all begins ... on a train:

#41 Post by redwarrior »

Malcom gathers up his cards, as he gathers up his wits. Well, this is quite... interesting. I wonder what is really going on here.

shaken Recovery [1d6] = 4 Wild Card [1d6] = 3

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rex »

Wina

Wina slides her revolver back into the holster and mumbles "Wendigo." keeping an eye out she waits to see the soldiers actions.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Marullus »

Pastor Flannigan

The charismatic old preacher looks unimpressed as the whole group of soldiers stands by and lets the boy jump out the window, then lets the woman smack their scientific instruments and kick them into the corner. When the Lieutenant focuses on taunting the grieving mother instead of worrying about the escaping suspect, he makes up his mind to provide aid.

"It is dearly kind of you and your Ohio men to come so far out of your way to provide aid with the, as you say, 'unclear but brutal events in the good city of Denver,' Lieutenant...?" the pastor steps out into the isle, an ingratiating smile as he interdicts the officer on his path, pausing to get the man's name. Adjusting his spectacles, he adjusts to a 'confidential' tone, though still audible to the other passengers around. "This situation is likely more complicated than expected... especially with the suspect being such a young child and the rules of jurisprudence being so different from military action. I assume you have a plan for ensuring safe transport? Since the mother will necessarily be with you at least until you meet with the Judge in Denver, she might be grateful to know how you'll ensure no harm and a fair chance to have their case heard under the law, rather than clapping her in irons. She's likely a key help in keeping the child calm in the days ahead, yes?" He looks between them both, encouging assent, hoping to set a better tone for the grieving mother.

Persuasion [1d8] = 1[1d6] = 2
(Charismatic +2, total is 4)

Isungr
Strider
Strider

#44 Post by Isungr »

LaGrone

Jack won't abide a woman mistreated in his presence, but it's clear the army is here in an official capacity of some sort looking for a fugitive. He doesn't say, just gets up and stands behind the preacher with a grin and jaunty nod to the lieutenant.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by ybn1197 »

Stirling wrote:Denver-Pacific train to Cheyenne.

10 miles north of Fort Collins.
3.41pm.

awaiting results if your Guts roll.
Guts: 2#1d4o4-2 -1 0

Thats a 1 and a 2 before the Doubting Thomas modifier. :o

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Stirling »

Denver-Pacific train to Cheyenne.

3.45pm.

A sad howling echoes from underneath the train carriage interspersed with snarls and fistfuls of gravel being thrown at a trio of Union troopers who have approached the hemmed in 'wildchild' with rifles raised, ready to shoot again. Inside the carriage the passengers gape out the window at the commotion. 'Banjo' ceases his strumming. The old prospectors share a swig of some strong spirit. They repeat "Wendigo" overhearing Wina's remark. Newspaper man exits to the front carriage, the grandma tuts speaking as if to the urn, asking what 'poor Harald' would have made of it. Some dissenting voices declare opinions from "Shoot that thing ... lock him away and throw the key ... too much meat as a baby that is why veganism is the future ... probably raised by the Pawnee or a Crow medicine man! ..."

Pastor Flanagan intercedes on the woman and wildchild's behalf. He is shadowed by Jack LaGrone. The officer stares at the gray bearded figure for a moment feeling his authority or control challenged. You feel he may have preferred a hunt across the foothills. Though his initial quarry seems absent, he does respond to your sage advice.

"A key! Why yes Mrs Lineacre is a key to help us restrain the ... the ... the boy and perhaps assist us in locating her husbands whereabouts. I am sure we can reciprocate could we not Mrs Lineacre?" The distraught woman nods silently and grabbing a hand luggage case follows the two troopers outside. The white coated scientist collects his floral gizmo. "Ah! I knew their effervescent saturation
would work. Science will be the new religion I am sure."
He speaks but few understand his exclamation. He mutters and follows the troopers.

After a few minutes of the 'wildchild' seeking a forlorn hope to escape, he is eventually coaxed from beneath the wagons. Overwhelmed by numbers his struggle is brief but mercifully under the watchful eyes of the preacher, the boy is only trussed up with strong rope.

"The Ohio 3rd apologises for the unseemly circumstances of your delay." The officer smugly and without any sense of sincerity absolves the actions and leaves. "Be assured preacher that the woman and boy will be treated well in custody. But not in Denver for you understand present politics are sensitive issues. The Union are rebuilding Fort Mount Pleasant, between the overland trail and Crow Creek. Until their proper rendition by marshalls to the city they will be held there." he says as you follow him outside.

He finally waves his sabre to signal the clearing of the track. The engine driver shunts gears and breaks and you hear the grind of metal on metal as the wheels slowly rotate.

make any final actions or verbals then I will update the next part of the journey to Cheyenne.

I will address ybn's roll in the ooc thread and introduce 'Alice' (Gremlin's character) in the next scene.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Checks the bite marks fir any sign if possible infection. It doesn't seem so bad. He is torn a but between giving some slack to the wild wolf-boy and agreeing for any murderer to face justice. He tries to see the boy. Is he more human than wolf. Eventually as the train move he takes his seat again and engages the old prospectors.

"So a Wendigo eh? What's that? Where are you guys staking your next claim?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rex »

Wina

Overhearing Rourke, "A terrible thing, a horrible spirit that posses people and turns them into man eaters."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Marullus »

Pastor Flannigan

The preacher bristles at the blithe comment by the white coated scientist. He replies to the Lieutenant as he stated the conditions in which the child is to be held, and not remanded to Denver. He looks upon the slathering wolf-child as he speaks. "Lieutenant, such events may seem strange to you, but they are known and written in the actions of our Lord Christ. The power to evict such possession was granted and witnessed among many followers and apostles, and remains our remit today," the old preacher says with conviction. "Allow that I may accompany you and aid you in this matter. It requires a full day of prayer, but is possible that the boy may yet be saved, and your burden regarding him resolved. You may keep me under your guard throughout the process and we can allow the train to speed the other passengers along its way. I only ask that you provide my companions and I transportation on to Cheyanne when my efforts are complete." He glances over to LaGrange and Rourke, then across the others from the compartment, to see if they acquiesce to being called his companions and seeing the boy safe. He would rather not be in Union custody alone...

Persuade [1d8+2] = 7+2 = 9[1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3

Isungr
Strider
Strider

#50 Post by Isungr »

Jack LaGrone

Touched by the pastor's trust in him, Jack catches his eye and gives a slight nod.

Regardless of whether they set out with the troops or get by the train, Jack will next position himself near Wina and ask, "What was that you said earlier? Wen-day-go? What is that exactly, if I may ask?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rex »

Wina

Turning to Jack she repeats herself, "A terrible thing, a horrible spirit that posses people and turns them into man eaters."

Isungr
Strider
Strider

#52 Post by Isungr »

Jack LaGrone

Glancing briefly at Flannigan, Jack replies, "Begging the pastor's pardon, but I think too many people blame the Devil for what they themselves do. It's an unfortunate fact that some people just need hanging. That boy is just scared and confused. That's all."

((You can hear in his tone that he's just trying to convince himself of that fact.))

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

Not sure that Rourke, who has a minor 'wanted' hindrance and comes from a 'rebel' state, would feel safe or welcome in a Union fort though I understand the pastor's good intentions for the wolf-boy and woman. Given a choice he will ride on to Cheyenne.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by redwarrior »

Malcom nods to the preacher and says I'll tag along, if you don't mind.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by ybn1197 »

Doc Bolt approaches the preacher and others. "Incredible, no unbelievable. Marvelous on some levels," He seems to say to himself. "Pastor, if you don't mind, I would like to accompany you. The chance to study this deviation in the human evolutionary scale is a once in a lifetime opportunity."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Marullus »

Pastor Flannigan nods politely, acquiescing to Dr. Bolt. He then replies with a sad tone, "I wish that were true."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Stirling »

Denver-Pacific train to Cheyenne.

3.50pm.

2nd Lieutenant Biley: opposed roll Spirit [1d6] = 5 WC [1d6] = 6

Opposed Ace roll [1d6] = 5 total 11.

Lieutenant Biley considers the persuasive arguments of Pastor Flanagan concerning the welfare of 'wolf-boy' Bram and his mother, Mrs Lineacre.

"Reverend, your concern for the 'wolfling' is admirable as is your faith that divine intervention will bring a godly resolution to his nefarious affliction. I am though more concerned that my duty is fulfilled and suspects of heinous and bloody crimes are duly apprehended. You understand Sir, the boy will face the civil justices for his alleged crimes. If proven he will hang. You may save his soul but his body undoubtedly belongs to the Law. " He pauses for his words to take effect.

"I do see however that Maester Billingham's contraption has sparked some interest and dialogue among your fellow travellers. My intervention here is finished. You may accompany my troopers and I to Fort Mount Pleasant and pastor the boy. I am sure your advocacy will be of consolation to Mrs Lineacre. But she also, is in custody and I will brook no aid to set either free."

You look up the track and see the cavalry are all mounted, a spare horse provided for the mother. The 'wildchild' has been tied hands and feet, a leather gag prevents him from gnawing through the hemp bonds. Furthermore he is held within the confines of a metal cage, mounted on the back of a small horse drawn cart. A soldier holds the reins and a seat left for the Maester who is in conversation with others. There is room behind the seats to journey on the wagon should you decide to go.

Doc Bolt still shaken by the metamorphosis of the boy decides to investigate the cause further. He offers to accompany the pastor. "Marvellous advances in our understanding of medicines and natural sciences have allowed me to construct this gizmo," the scientist shares with you. "Perhaps before the pastor intoned his exorcism I can study the boys transforming nature more closely." It is not an offer of work but maybe an opportunity or area you can offer to assist on some way.

Decisions are made. The barricade lifted and the train pulls away. The troopers and their prisoner ride off eastwards into the distant hills. In another carriage, an oriental passenger watches the encounter. Dressed plainly in Chinese robes, the young lady sits trying to be as anonymous as possible. Gremlin introduce your character here.

Decide if you join the troops or stay on the train. I will update the next scene completing the journey to Cheyenne / Fort Mt Pleasant as needed.

Current effects: Doc Bolt remains Shaken, needs Vigour roll or spend Fate chip to remove.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Marullus »

"The magistrates in Denver will have their due for his earthly crimes," the Pastor nods. "I am grateful that you will allow me to see to the boy's spiritual redemption." The pastor takes up his shotgun and a large carpetbag and joins the soldiers to accompany the boy and his mother to Fort Mount Pleasant. "You are willing to provide us transportation on to Cheyanne when the matter is complete, yes?"

Isungr
Strider
Strider

#59 Post by Isungr »

Jack LaGrone

Jack gathers up his carpetbag and Old Abe and joins the reverend in walking to the carriage/wagon.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by Bluetongue »

Rourke

"You want to go with the troops. Dob't knows who's madder, a wolf boy biting, scratching and ripping throats out or the Reverend who wants to deal with the devil inside."

The gunslinger takes a seat in the train carriage.

Return to “Deadlands Reloaded (Savage Worlds)”