OOC discussion and questions.

Stirling
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC discussion and questions.

#81 Post by Marullus »

How does Rourke's ruse get arbitrated? A Persuasion that, if successful, aids his shot? Just curious as I learn this system. It was a good narrative action.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Rex »

The die roller hates me more, I recently rolled a character with 4d6 drop lowest and re-rolling 1's and ended up with a 10.3 average and a highest roll of 13.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Stirling »

With Rourke going for his gun, I didn't arbitrate any kind of sleight of hand or deception. I just moved after the narration into initiative and combat actions.

A normal round allows you multiple actions but you are cumulatively penalised but with not moving I didn't apply the normal draw and shoot penalty. Think that is a correct interpretation.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Stirling »

Sorry for delay I had some duce roller issues. Hopefully sorted now via downloading Opera Mini browser.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#85 Post by Gremlin »

I think the Toughness and wounds are calculated separately for each hit? That's why I didn't add them together for a grand total.

Also, does everyone get a Fate chip when a Joker is drawn? I think that might be an optional rule, not sure.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Stirling »

I will award bonus Fate chips for good role play, heroic actions and epic fails. Generally I will save GM fate chips for WC characters or critical actions.

I have a record of the opponent's toughness / vigour. You could assume if they roll without a wild card dice then I will treat them as 'extras'. So yes, each wound could be soaked up in turn with bennies/fate.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#87 Post by Gremlin »

Is soak automatic or do we have to spend a Fate chip to be able to soak?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Stirling »

Oh. Greg asked me similar question in a pm before he posted for Rourke. My understanding from pg 77 of SW are that Fate chios give you a vigour roll and chance to remove wounds. Fats chips can auto remove shaken condition.

So save those chips! As the guardian said regarding the holy grail, "choose wisely!" when to use them.

So wounds are soaked by fate chips and healing spells or prayers or restful recovery. Shaken condition may be removed by successful Spirit roll.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#89 Post by Gremlin »

Ok, just checking. I decided to not use another Fate chip on my last attack because I was worried I'd need some in case I needed to soak.

In hindsight, I should have made a Wild Attack since one thug was shaken and the other reloading, but I didn't think of it until after the fact. Oh well, still learning the system. Hopefully Molly has a low parry. :lol:

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Stirling »

Still getting used to the Savage Worlds rules. As far as the present train combat is going, it is very tense and exciting and I think I have interpreted the rules correctly.

Let me know of any glaring and obvious discrepancies!

The random card decks are totally random! I don't fudge the rolls to favour anyone or use GM artistic licence. Rourke's allocated consecutive Jokers is a 1/729 event. (And he says he has bad luck hindrance).

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#91 Post by Gremlin »

I was confused about when the Unarmed Defender bonus applies but that seems to be a grey area that has apparently been cleaned up in newer editions of the rules (From what I can see they took out the 'melee' part since any weapon can be considered a melee weapon in the newer editions). Makes it a little tougher for Alice, but nobody said bringing a sword to a gun fight would be easy!

The only other thing I noticed was I think the good reverend double dipped his Conviction bonus on his last protection blessing roll. I think how it's supposed to work is you roll your dice, add in any aces and then add in any bonuses (6+5+2). Not add in the bonus again to each ace roll (6+2+5+2). But I could be wrong, this is the first time playing this system for me as well.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by redwarrior »

The Savage World mechanics are notably different from the original game that I'd been playing before the quarantine hit. I'm growing to really like them a lot better. Play seems to be a lot easier/smoother/faster, but it's definitely an adjustment. As is learning all the Huckster stuff. Before, I was a pure ex-Cav gunslinger. Because fighter is ALWAYS the simplest character to play when learning a new system. We had a preacher, but everyone else was a some version of normal, well and the one guy who just used machetes. We'd just introduced a mad scientist type, but hadn't really incorporated those rules into play.

Interested to see how it goes the first time I use the Manatoo/Loa directly, instead of just spending power points.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#93 Post by Gremlin »

Yeah, my first impression of Savage Worlds is really positive. So far I'm liking the system a lot, just have to get the details down.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

Gremlin wrote:The only other thing I noticed was I think the good reverend double dipped his Conviction bonus on his last protection blessing roll. I think how it's supposed to work is you roll your dice, add in any aces and then add in any bonuses (6+5+2). Not add in the bonus again to each ace roll (6+2+5+2). But I could be wrong, this is the first time playing this system for me as well.
Oh! Good catch! I pressed the "back" button and repeated the roll but didn't edit that.

Yes, in total, it is his roll +2 Conviction +2 Brandishing Bible -2 Novice Spell, for a total of +2 on the roll. (His conviction just gives him a straight roll on a Novice spell... Protection has a special rule about brandishing his holy item for what is essentially "turn undead.) I also lowered his die one size for not passing the Detect Arcana prayer; not sure if I needed to (as it wasn't registered that the spell counted), but I assumed and did it anyway.

It's a question I have, though. As we advance as characters do the spell types get easier? Like, is it easier for a Seasoned prayer once I am seasoned? (And if so, do I cast Novice normally while I'm Novice?)

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by redwarrior »

I had the same thought when I was rolling damage, started to look it up, and then just decided to do the math both ways and find out which was right when the round gets resolved. :-D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Marullus »

I love Alice. That roleplay is fantastic. :)

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#97 Post by Gremlin »

Thank you! :D

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Stirling »

Phew! Lots of rolling and long macros! So much easier face to face. I have to cross reference stuff too but hopefully the narrations make sense.

And we'll done to Rourke and Alice in a tough encounter. I liked the action on the train roof and you got rolls when you needed. Good thinking to use taunt to improve next round of actions. Tricks, ganging up or intimidating are great ways to benefit the group.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Marullus »

Finally Pastor Flanagan no modifiers are added to Aced die rolls.. He recites a powerful prayer of blessing, creating a ward around him which restricts any evil intent striking him.
Acknowledged. :) Correct total is 13, which is still two Raises?

What's the effect of a raise, here? Can I extend protection to two additional people?
Normally, it would double the duration, but the duration here is 'concentration,' so it seems it doesn't apply?
This spell seems awkward, as it only protects me but prevents me taking any other action... Does that include no intimidation?
Marullus wrote:Oh! Good catch! I pressed the "back" button and repeated the roll but didn't edit that.

Yes, in total, it is his roll +2 Conviction +2 Brandishing Bible -2 Novice Spell, for a total of +2 on the roll. (His conviction just gives him a straight roll on a Novice spell... Protection has a special rule about brandishing his holy item for what is essentially "turn undead.) I also lowered his die one size for not passing the Detect Arcana prayer; not sure if I needed to (as it wasn't registered that the spell counted), but I assumed and did it anyway.

It's a question I have, though. As we advance as characters do the spell types get easier? Like, is it easier for a Seasoned prayer once I am seasoned? (And if so, do I cast Novice normally while I'm Novice?)
Also pulling this question down.

Want to make sure I am reading and interpreting things right.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Marullus »

I found help in Savage Worlds:
MaintainingPowers
Some powers may be maintained, as listed in the power’s Duration description. This is a free action. The number following the duration is the cost in Power Points to keep the power going. No new skill roll is needed to maintain a power. For each power currently being maintained, the caster suffers a –1 to future arcane skill rolls (but not other Trait tests). A wizard maintaining armor and charm, for example, suffers a –2 penalty to his Spellcasting rolls until he allows those powers to lapse. He does not suffer penalties to his Fighting (or other) rolls while these spells are being maintained.
Disruption
A character who is actively maintaining a power may be disrupted if he suffers damage. To maintain concentration for all of his powers, the hero makes one opposed arcane skill roll versus the damage he suffered. If his roll is higher, he maintains all of his spells. If he fails, he instantly drops all of his powers after the attack that caused the disruption is resolved. A character who is Shaken by non-damaging means (such as a Test of Wills) must make a simple Smarts roll to maintain his powers.
So, I can maintain concentration as long as I don't take damage (and since Protection prevents damage, it adds a stipulation that I can't move) but I could provide bonus to others by Intimidation or (at a -1 penalty) doing other prayers.

Or, is this superceded by the language if Deadlands?

Want to make sure I am clear on options before round two.

Return to “Deadlands Reloaded (Savage Worlds)”