OOC

ybn1197
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC

#141 Post by shaidar »

I get your point about playing it out once in a while, and it could be done in our private forums. As has been said, the problem with pbp is that everything is slower, so I can see it taking a while for everyone to play out their first hunt. But the suggestion of a hybrid from Gremlin might be a good solution to that problem.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by ybn1197 »

Hi all, stopping by while I have a little strength. Tuesday afternoon after my wife tested positive for Covid, I tested positive. This flu really saps your strength and leaves you couch or bed bound for a huge portion of the day. I will post when possible, but please excuse my absence for the foreseeable future.

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#143 Post by Gremlin »

Don't worry about posting. I hope you and your wife get better soon. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Rex »

I hope you and your wife get better soon! Prayers sent.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by shaidar »

Get Well soon, both of you. Look after yourself. It's when you start feeling better after a few days that the cough can really worsen and it can become dangerous for some people.
Last edited by shaidar on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#146 Post by Lance »

Wishing you and yours all the best! Vampires are immortal, there's no rush. :)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Hoping you are managing ok, and that you've stayed out of the hospital.

Take care.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#148 Post by dmw71 »

Admin Note: This game has been archived.

If/when ybn1197 is able to return, it can easily be restored.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Gremlin
Guide
Guide

#149 Post by Gremlin »

Since the game has been restored, does this mean we're back online? I hope so, this game has been fun! :)

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#150 Post by Lance »

Oh yes, Ybn is back! :)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by ybn1197 »

Gremlin wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:52 pm Since the game has been restored, does this mean we're back online? I hope so, this game has been fun! :)
Yes, the game is back on. Thanks to all for your well-wishes for me and my family. I hope to have a new post up shortly as I get up to date with all the games I am involved with on the site.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by ybn1197 »

Sorry all. Things have been rough in RL. I hope to have a new post up today.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by ybn1197 »

Sorry all, work was a bear last week. A large number of software updates needed to be performed in both our department which we were responsible for as well as Enterprise level updates that impacted our department. Look for an update today or tomorrow.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#154 Post by Lance »

I'd like to apologise as a representative of the software developer community for any mandatory updates. :D

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by ybn1197 »

Damn you ::shaking fist:: lol

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by ybn1197 »

Lance wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 am I'd like to raise the same concerns out of character. Some of us spent lots of points on things no longer available to us.
shaidar wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:04 am I was thinking that too, I spent points on resources, etc. I've still got to choose disciplines, we get 3 points, yes?
First off, no one is losing anything; nothing is no longer available to you. No one says you have to do what Markus told you. What you choose to do is completely up to you and should be instituted in the game. You want to set up a mortal proxy who reports to you as you run things behind the scenes of your old business, go ahead. You want to secretly keep in touch with your family, go ahead. You can even start a new identity and create a new source of income to explain resources. What you do with those backgrounds is up to you; I think the more ingenious the better for the game. Its a chance for you to say this is what I have and this is how I access it. Remember, this is a player driven story. What happens in the story is really up to you all. However, if this isn't the way you wanted to use those backgrounds, let me know and I will work with you. Or if you want to switch things, go ahead and do that. I think we have a great story going here and I would hate to have something so simple as character backgrounds throw that off kilter.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by shaidar »

Ok, thanks for the clarity on the background, and no worries. Just trying to get a feel for things. Leo is enough of a rebel to want his damn stuff back, somehow!! I'm trying to think who he would have done with his business in his will, probably left it to his apprentice, as that's who I spent a point on for retainer.

Disciplines:

Do you want me to spend my 3 discipline points now, or do we wait. I'm trying to work out whether to spend 2 on Celerity and 1 on Potence or visa-versa. What's confusing me slightly is that Celerity says it affects dex based skills (which includes melee fighting according to the combat section), but the notes for Potence say that successes from potence in melee add to damage rolls.
Last edited by shaidar on Tue May 18, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by ybn1197 »

shaidar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:34 pm Ok, thanks for the clarity on the background, and no worries. Just trying to get a feel for things. Leo is enough of a rebel to want his damn stuff back, somehow!! I'm trying to think who he would have done with his business in his will, probably left it to his apprentice, as that's who I spent a point on for retainer.
Perfect example. Leo can still run the business using his apprentice as a mortal proxy. The apprentice is the face of the business but its still Leo's. And since the apprentice is a Retainer, Leo can either entrust his secret to him, or even make his apprentice a ghoul. The options are nearly unlimited, you just have to spin a story around it so it works within the system.
shaidar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:34 pm Disciplines:

Do you want me to spend my 3 discipline points now, or do we wait. I'm trying to work out whether to spend 2 on Celerity and 1 on Potence or visa-versa. What's confusing me slightly is that Celerity says it affects dex based skills (which includes melee fighting according to the combat section), but the notes for Potence say that successes from potence in melee add to damage rolls.
I would rather you purchase them now. We can enact how Leo learns them in the story but I would prefer you state what you have ahead of time. As for those two,
  • Celerity is unnatural speed. Each point of Celerity adds one die to every Dexterity-related dice roll. In addition, you can spend one blood point to take an extra action up to the number of dots you have in Celerity. Any dots used for extra actions, however, are no longer available for Dexterity-related rolls during that turn. These additional actions must be physical (e.g., the vampire cannot use a mental Discipline like Dominate multiple times in one turn), and extra actions occur at the end of the turn (the vampire’s regular action still takes place per her initiative roll). With 2 dots you could add one dot to your Firearms roll and use one dot for an extra action. (Or add 2 dots to your Firearms or use 2 more actions.)
    • Normally, a character without Celerity must divide their dice if they want to take multiple actions in a single turn. A character using Celerity performs his extra actions (including full movement) without penalty, gaining a full dice pool for each separate action. Extra actions gained through Celerity may not in turn be split into multiple actions, however.
  • Potence is unnatural Strength. Each dot in Potence adds one die to all Strength-related dice rolls. Further, you can spend one blood point and change all Potence dice into an equal number of automatic successes to all Strength-related rolls for the turn. For melee or brawling, those correlate to your damage rolls.
To summerize:
  • Celerity adds to Dex dice pool or extra actions. Divvy the dots as you want but you can't use 1 dot for both
  • Potence adds to Str dice pool AND can add automatic successes.
  • Blood point needs to be spent for extra actions or automatic successes.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by shaidar »

Thanks, that's a definite angle to follow with the apprentice. So he doesn't necessarily have to be officially dead then, or he would be and just behind the scenes as a puppet master?

As for disciplines, from a purely meta-gaming point of view I get the feeling 2 points on celerity would better, however from a character point of view I think it makes more sense to go 2 in potence and 1 in celerity, and I'll improve celerity later as a priority.

Imagine a street car race using Celerity!

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by ybn1197 »

shaidar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:14 pm Thanks, that's a definite angle to follow with the apprentice. So he doesn't necessarily have to be officially dead then, or he would be and just behind the scenes as a puppet master?

As for disciplines, from a purely meta-gaming point of view I get the feeling 2 points on celerity would better, however from a character point of view I think it makes more sense to go 2 in potence and 1 in celerity, and I'll improve celerity later as a priority.

Imagine a street car race using Celerity!
As your bodies were never reclaimed from the fire, you are presumed dead. You could openly continue as the business owner but then you would have to explain where you have been for the past week, how you escaped unscathed from the fire, and why no one ever sees you during the day anymore.

As for a street car race, you wouldn't move any faster than the car is capable but all your DEX+Drive rolls would have automatic successes in them so you would be the most confident and controlled driver.

Return to “Baltimore by Night (Vampire: The Masquerade (V20))”