Re: The Flummery Tap (OOC)

#121 Post by Rex »

Good Luck Ogre.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Leitz »

I need to add some NPCs that Lofar and Barwuf know, will do that after work. Lemme know if you have any particular ideas.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by tibbius »

OGRE MAGE wrote:my wife’s mother is in a battle for her life right now
I can imagine how awful that feels - I have a great set of (older) in-laws and this whole pandemic thing makes me pretty anxious about potentially losing them. But to actually experience that must be a lot worse than just anxiety. Best of luck to her!
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Rex »

It is a trying time indeed. My Mom has been in and out of the hospital the last couple of weeks and it is difficult for sure.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Leitz »

The next real step is for the party to decide their path to Bree, and set upon it. There will certainly be challenges, and changes of course, as you travel. :)

For some, avoiding the West Road is advisable. Tarabim is too well known, and Barwuf might stand out a bit. Passing through Rohan proper is acceptable, though the horse folk may ask for a toll in kind. Tarabim might be able to buy passage with a good song or three.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Jernau35 »

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! I'm hoping that since I didn't actually have a seizure this time, this may clear up in weeks or a couple of months.

MrStereo1- thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.

OM - My best wishes and hopes for you and your family.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#127 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

Rex wrote:It is a trying time indeed. My Mom has been in and out of the hospital the last couple of weeks and it is difficult for sure.
Best wishes to her, then. I hope you two make it through alright.
Leitz wrote:The next real step is for the party to decide their path to Bree, and set upon it. There will certainly be challenges, and changes of course, as you travel. :)

For some, avoiding the West Road is advisable. Tarabim is too well known, and Barwuf might stand out a bit. Passing through Rohan proper is acceptable, though the horse folk may ask for a toll in kind. Tarabim might be able to buy passage with a good song or three.
Lofar knows the road north better, but I imagine he'd want to travel through Rohan for safety's sake. I'd like to see the Hobbitverse Rohirrim too, honestly.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Leitz »

Campaign ID is 828.

How do you see the Hobbit's Rohirrim as different?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#129 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Sadly, she passed away Saturday night. My wife is taking it far better than I could have imagined, but it still sucks pretty bad.

Now we start the fun of figuring out how to have a service/funeral/memorial when you can’t gather in groups of more than 10 people. :(

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by tibbius »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Now we start the fun of figuring out how to have a service/funeral/memorial when you can’t gather in groups of more than 10 people. :(
That is a really awful aspect of this whole thing.

Condolences to you and your wife.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Leitz »

Sorry to hear; prayers and condolences.

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#132 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Sadly, she passed away Saturday night. My wife is taking it far better than I could have imagined, but it still sucks pretty bad.

Now we start the fun of figuring out how to have a service/funeral/memorial when you can’t gather in groups of more than 10 people. :(
That's horrible to hear. For whatever it's worth I'm told that it's always easier to mourn people you've no regrets over. There's pain but nothing you can blame yourself for. It sounds like your wife had a good relationship with her mother, and if she can hold onto that it might help. In my experience I only really get into a dangerous spiral over a loss when there's some regret or guilt I never set right before the end.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Rex »

My prayers and condolences Ogre.

roryb
Guide
Guide

#134 Post by roryb »

That’s terrible news, OGRE. So sorry to hear that. Prayers to you and your family.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#135 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

The funeral is on Friday. Only 10 people allowed. Mandatory face masks and social distancing. That is going to be weird.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by tibbius »

That's so weird. How do you figure out who to invite to a funeral?

In the game, I'm not sure what Tarabim would do next. Does anyone else want to do anything with these rumors of trouble on the trail?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Leitz »

tibbius wrote:In the game, I'm not sure what Tarabim would do next. Does anyone else want to do anything with these rumors of trouble on the trail?
There's choices, but not really. You need to move faster, and not be recognized. Going through Rohan is about the only real way to do that. The rumors are less a side-track and more a "be careful as you go" thing.

Tarabim and Lofar would have no difficulty talking to the caravan folk. They are waiting on the river to settle since they need an easy crossing. The party can cross, it will be a rougher ride but should be doable. You just know that there won't be anyone behind you for a while.

OOC, there are side-tracks planned, because this is an adventure. So, don't sweat the risk factor, we're here to have fun.

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#138 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

Leitz wrote:Campaign ID is 828.

How do you see the Hobbit's Rohirrim as different?
For one I doubt they'd have the same sense of doom they had hanging over them in LOTR. Their king shouldn't be bewitched in the same way (not least because it's too similar to Gondor's situation) and they aren't under the same apocalyptic threat LOTR Rohan was. They'd be a cheerier bunch of Anglo-Saxon warrior types, I'd guess, with a very lively culture of competitions, songs and sagas but less in the way of great buildings or libraries like you'd see in Gondor.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Leitz »

A note on "going north". When I run a game, I try to figure out at least one way the characters can succeed. Mostly to ensure the challenges aren't too huge, and to make sure the path doesn't need a bunch of right guesses that have little context. That said, the players and characters have agency, you can figure out something I might never have considered, and we can run with that.

It sounds like crossing into Rohan is the next step, I'll get to work on that.

Mr Stereo1
Tracker
Tracker

#140 Post by Mr Stereo1 »

That sounds good to me, Leitz. :D

By the way, do we have ponies, horses, or any other pack animals with us right now? I thought I remembered that, but I can't find anything saying we did.

Return to “A Lost and Overgrown Path (There and Back Again)”