WW2 Supers d6: MISSION ZERO; FALL OF THE PHILIPPINES

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: WW2 Supers d6: MISSION ZERO; FALL OF THE PHILIPPINES

#41 Post by Monsieur Rose »

SGT Acme

"Haskins! Check on Jones. Higgins, you and Wade come with me. There's something coming up in the woods over there. Roker may need some help."

Marvin reloads and starts moving towards the commotion, keeping low and darting from tree to tree.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by max_vale »

Night of 24-25 January, 1942; 'The Points', South West Coast of the Bataan Peninsula on the island of Luzon, Philippines

'Fight One: I.E. SGT Acme's squad'

In the dark foliage, 'Mediocre Roker' fought to keep his new, powerful 'Wolfman' form for a few seconds longer, hopefully long enough to tear apart another Japanese soldier*.....

[4d6+6] = 21+6 = 27

He managed to do so, leaping with incredible speed and power right into another Japanese soldier whose terrified face filled Roker's face, right before he viciously dropped his head low and with his sharp teeth he tore apart the poor man's throat, filling his mouth with the delightful taste of blood and then a moment later, he hurled himself off to the side and rolled low into the bushes, hearing a couple of Arisaka rifle shots tear through the night air above him.

[5d6+1] = 24+1 = 25
[6d6+2] = 23+2 = 25 vs [2d6+1] = 11+1 = 12
[5d6+1] = 18+1 = 19 vs [4d6] = 16 and [4d6] = 10

A moment later, he was back to his 'human' form; feeling drained and weak and he had a disgusting taste in his mouth and it was all he could do to not vomit as he remembered what had just happened and what the taste was from.....

Hearing SGT Acme's orders and seeing the Navy Bluejacket Higgins rush over towards him, PFC Wade MacGyver quietly cursed and concentrated on clearing the jam in his Thompson.....

[3d6+1] = 10+1 = 11

With an immense feeling of satisfaction, he cleared the jam, racked the bolt to put another round in the action and he hurriedly moved to catch up to Acme and Higgins...

SGT Acme called out his orders while at the same time quickly reloading his Springfield Rifle with a 5 round stripper clip. The sailor Higgins moved over quickly while Wade was delayed a bit as he cleared a jam on his Tommy gun. Moving towards the sounds in the dark jungle, Marvin suddenly went still as he heard what sounded like an animal roar and then a man's scream and two quick rifle shots in succession.....

Moving quickly while crouching low, the veteran Marine NCO suddenly saw a small clearing about 40 yards away and the moonlight/starlight let him see a pair of Japanese soldiers with their long, bayonet-equipped Arisaka rifles held at the ready, spinning a slow circle as they looked for something. Seeing them slowly turn towards him, something 'clicked' in Marvin's brain at a primeval level and he reached down to his web belt, grabbed an object, felt it 'charge' in his hand and in one smooth motion, he heaved it towards his foes**....

[6d6] = 26
[7d6] = 21 vs [2d6+1] = 7+1 = 8 and [2d6+1] = 5+1 = 6

A couple of poorly aimed shots were fired by the obviously terrified Japanese soldiers, but they just zipped through the night air, sounding like angry bees for a moment to the trio of Marines. A moment later, the object landed among the two Nip troops and with a bright light, it exploded violently, tearing both of the Japanese soldiers to bits. Acme grunted in satisfaction....that grenade had done EXACTLY what he had wanted it to do....at 40 yards no less! Then he turned and he saw Wade and Higgins staring at him with wide eyes and slack jaws and he glanced down and realized it a moment later.....his grenade was still on his web belt....he had tossed a spare 5 round stripper clip of ammo for his Rifle......and made it explode! His memory caught up to him a moment later....the clip had GLOWED when he threw it...he had CHARGED it.....with some kind of power from HIS OWN BODY....

RM3C Fred Roker was glad he had been too weak to rise up as one of the party must've tossed a grenade near him and the shrapnel and force of the explosion had gone off nearby, but none of it had hit him. Weakly getting to his feet, he moved forward, feelign exhausted and soon saw the torn up bodies of the two soldiers who had been shredded by the blast, then he noticed SGT Acme, PFC Wade and Seaman Higgins all kinda standing around staring at the Marine SGT.....

*Okay, I made the decision to try nad have Roker keep his power up for 1 more round, which necessitated spending the Luck Point. I also spent all 6 Will Points in the attempt as basically, there really wasn't any reason not to. It worked, and he ws able to keep his Talent Up. So, for his last round as the Wolfman, I made the call to have him attack 1 Soldier and then make a Full Dodge to get away......and it worked out if you see the rolls....

**For Wade, I rolled his Equipment Repair Skill against a Difficulty number of 10 to clear the jam, it worked.

***For Acme, I took over to have his Talent Manifest as well.....the range was long for the throw...but with 6D6 in Thrown Weapons, I figured it was a good call.....and I arbitrarily decided to have him use the 10 foot cubic area/7d6 damage option.....I hope this is cool!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by max_vale »

Night of 24-25 January, 1942; 'The Points', South West Coast of the Bataan Peninsula on the island of Luzon, Philippines

'Fight Two: I.E. Gurung's squad'

The survivors of First Lieutenant Williams' squad, after patching up the wounded Air Corps officer, made their way slowly back to headquarters; talking the entire way back about Gurkha Gurung's amazing new Talent power!

Soon, they all fell into exhausted sleep after the adrenaline from the night's action wore off and the next morning, they were back to the grim situation of fighting in the disease-filled humid jungles of the Philippines against a foe that mostly had control of the seas and skies around them....holding out hope for some kind of relief convoy from the States to reach them.....

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Urson »

Dutch
Despite the insanity around him, Dutch sleeps deeply and wakes up feeling good. He settles in at his assigned guard point, sharpening his bayonet as he watches for more Enemy troops.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rex »

Gurung

Gurung rests up as much as possible and checks out where he was nicked by the Japanese round, contemplating what happened to him and trying to figure out if he can control it.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#46 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Wade cleans his guns and oils them hoping to avoid a jam again.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Hadarai »

Teddy has some trouble getting sleep that night but when he finally gets to sleep he dreams about manifesting his own talent and single handedly stopping the war! Needless to say he awakens disappointed and heads to his post for the day.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Monsieur Rose »

SGT Acme

"You ok, Roker? What the hell is on your face?" Marvin sees the torn apart soldiers and slowly puts it together. "Oh god. Well, I'm glad you're on our side."

He notices the others staring at his belt and smiles. "That was pretty cool, right? I MADE that thing explode! It felt...right. I'll have to see if I can do that again. After we get out of here."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Zhym »

Roker wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve. "That was...weird," he says. "Just like the wolfman movies I saw just before we shipped out. A lot grosser in person, but it saved my butt, so I'm not going to complain." He takes a big swig from his canteen and swishes the water around in his mouth to clear the taste of blood—whether because the taste is disgusting or appealing, he's not sure about yet. He tries not to think about it.

He glances at the grenade still on Acme's belt. "Seems to be a lot of weirdness going around."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by max_vale »

Early morning of 8 February, 1942; Agloloma Bay, near 'Point Quinuan', one of 'The Points', South West Coast of the Bataan Peninsula on the island of Luzon, Philippines

The sun had barely risen over the sandy beach of Agloloma Bay, near Quinuan Point on February 8th, 1942 and though no one on board the 4 boats moving into the bay was thinking about it or probably even aware of it; they were about to pull off the first American amphibious assault of World War II.....

The past two weeks had been a draining event for the rag-tag members of the 'Naval Battalion' as they continued to battle the Japanese Army remnants all along the 'Points' area along with members of the 45th Philippine Scouts and on February 2nd they learned that the Japanese had sent a convoy of barges and small craft to try to land another battalion of troops to support those surviving troops and then to take Mariveles on the coast and take control of the entire Bataan peninsula, leaving only those U.S. Forces on the island of Corregidor to oppose them. Well, that plan was shattered by a blistering attack from the 4 P-40s that were the only operational planes the U.S. forces could field and they bombed and strafed the convoy, smashing half the force before they could reach land and forcing the survivors to wash up on the rocky point known as Quinuan.

Once there, the Japanese tried to force their way out, but they quickly ran into a wall of opposition in the form of the 45th Scouts, the Naval Battalion and even several Stuart Light tanks of the 192nd Tank Battalion. The Japanese forces were chopped to pieces, but rather than surrender, they fought to the last man and holed up in some of the rocky caves on Quinuan Point where they had excellent fields of fire for anyone trying to attack them by land and solid protection from any air attacks as well. This led to the crazy plan of the seaborne assault that was about to happen...

Brigadier General Pierce of the 71st Philippine Division (which was more like a Regiment now) had come up with the idea and he brought in several 'unorthodox' officers and men from disparate units to carry his idea out. Quinuan Point was near a soft sandy beach known as Agloloma Bay and Pierce felt if he could land men by sea on the beach to make a diversionary attack, then his troops along with those of the 45th Scouts could make it over the rocky obstructions to deliver the coup-de-grace on the remnants of the Japanese Battalion in the caves there. It was unlikely the Japanese would have much near the beach, but if their attention could be diverted there, it would make all the difference in the world....

The Naval portion of the assault would come in the form of two of the 'Mickey Mouse Battleships' the crew of the Canopus had created....i.e. 35 foot long launches that had been 'armored' by having some sheets of steel welded to the bows and armed with a 37mm anti-tank gun in the bow and each would tow a pair of whaling boats (used as life boats by the Canopus) carrying 30 'marines' for the assault.

The leader of the Naval portion was 42 year old LCDR (Lieutenant Commander) Henry 'Hap' Goodall, the former X.O. of the Canopus and about as brave and fearless an officer as Roker had ever known. For the leader of the 'marines', Pierce chose 25 year old Captain Ed Dyess, United States Air Corps. Dyess was a tall Texan P-40 pilot from the 21st Pursuit Squadron who had shot down a pair of Japanese planes and strafed a Japanese truck convoy while flying at tree top level and was well liked by those he served with and he had handled himself well as part of the 'Naval Battalion' during the fighting over the past 2 weeks. He personally chose the 30 men who would be making the assault and it was little surprise that the 'Talents' who had recently manifested their abilities were among those chosen.

As ammunition was getting low, plus due to the fact that the attack was only supposed to be a short, 'diversionary' assault, each Rifleman was only given 30 rounds of ammunition while those carrying automatic weapons were likewise given little in the way of ammo. In essence, they were to hit the beach, 'make a helluva ruckus' and then find cover. SGT Melvin Acme, for one, wasn't thrilled with this situation, but he had made sure to pack a few extra rocks in case he was called on to utilize his Talent....

As the boats got close to their goal, they must've been seen by some of the planes that were making their way daily to attack 'the Rock' (i.e. Corregidor), as a group of KI-30 dive bombers peeled off and dove towards them. At about the same time, 'Hap' Goodall was giving the order to open fire on the Japanese positions with the 37mm guns from his 'Mickey Mouse Battleships' as Captain Ed Dyess stood next to him to help direct his fire. His gunners did so, but a moment later one of his other sailors yelled out; "We've got Nip planes attacking us skipper!" Goodall calmly called out; "To hell with those airplanes, sailor!" Then he turned to Dyess and asked, "Where do want the next shot Captain?"

Acme, Dutch, Teddy, Gurung, Roker and MacGyver, all in the same boat, weren't NEARLY so calm as the bombs started falling nearby, raising huge splashes of water that fell on them and the sound of guns opening up as the bombers tried to strafe them. Luckily for them, these were NOT some of Japan's better plane crews and none of the bombs or machinegun sprays hit them. A moment later, Captain Dyess was back in the whaler with them and they were cast off from the 'Mickey Mouse Battleship' and headed for the beach....

As they neared the shore the crack of Arisaka Rifles could be heard and the angry hornet's buzz of shots whipping past their heads or the sound of the rounds thunking into the hull could be made out and each Sailor, Soldier, Marine or Airman gripped their weapon a bit tighter and checked the load* one last time....

As the boat ground itself on the beach, Captain Dyess leapt out onto the shoreline, cutting loose a couple of bursts from his big Lewis gun as he did so**. As the others followed him, they could make out that about 20 yards away a Japanese squad of maybe a dozen troops had just fallen prone in some light vegetation and were firing their Rifles in their direction. It looked like one of them was snapping down the bi-pod on a Type 96 LMG as well, its distinctive top mounted magazine giving it away.....

*Everyone can check their updated Character Sheet for load-outs. Greywolf, Wade has a 50 round drum and a pair of 20 round clips for his Tommy Gun. He can choose to have it start with either equipped. Obviously the drum has a lot more rounds...but it also means the weapon is more likely to jam Your call amigo. Also, everyone will notice they HAVE a Luck Point, those who have had their Talent powers manifest have full Willpower Points...though keep in mind the Activation roll is on 1d6.....and Minor Powers need a 5, Moderate Powers need a 7 and Major Powers need a 10....so failure in Activation is a DISTINCT possibility for Marvin and Roker especially. If you WANT to try and Activate a Talent power, please let me know how many (if any) Will Power Points you want to spend on the roll (and/or if you want to spend the Luck Point).

**A Lewis gun is a WW1 era Light Machinegun that has a top mounted pan magazine (imagine a flat drum) that holds about 45 rounds in it. Below is a picture of this event. (I've modified the real event SLIGHTLY....obviously there were no 'Supers' there, only 20 troops that hit the beach....and in real-life it was as much of a Diversionary attack as I'm making it here)

Here's a link to a cool painting of this event....I've modified it VERY slightly...in real life there was only 20 troops making the assault led by Ed Dyess (and obviously no 'supers'); and it wasn't as much a Diversionary attack as I'm making it here.

https://www.facebook.com/EscapeFromDava ... tn__=EHH-R

Also, for a much longer more detailed description of these events as they really happened, check out this link: https://www.historynet.com/triumph-on-bataan.htm

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rex »

Gurung

Gurung races for the beach, once on dry land he goes prone and fires 3 rounds in rapid succession at the LMG operator.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Zhym »

'Mediocre' Fred Roker also drops low and fires at the LMG operator.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Urson »

Dutch
Dutch rolls out of the whaleboat and wades ashore. Before he even reaches dry sand, he throws his frag grenade at the Japanese clustering around the LMG. He hits the sand, goes flat, and begins moving away from the boat.
FA FO

GreyWolfVT

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Wade seeing that the LMG operator was well targeted he targets a rifleman opposite of the LMG operator. Trying to fire in a controlled burst as best he can manage.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Fri May 08, 2020 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#55 Post by Hadarai »

Teddy roars out of the whaleboat and rushes to the beach alongside Dutch and dives into the sand and fires two rounds at the group of rifleman surrounding the LMG gunner.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Marvin Acme

Marvin hits the beach with the others, drops, and fires once at a rifleman on the edge. After he fires, he starts crawling towards the vegetation line, attempting to flank the squad.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by max_vale »

Early morning of 8 February, 1942; Agloloma Bay, near 'Point Quinuan', one of 'The Points', South West Coast of the Bataan Peninsula on the island of Luzon, Philippines

As Captain Ed Dyess led his make-shift assault force of 30 troops in storming the beach, they were met with fire from a dozen Japanese soldiers about 20 yards away at the edge of light vegetation....

A few of the 30 fell to the ground clutching wounds as they were hit by fire from the Arisaka rifles of their Japanese opponents, but they fired back as well, likewise inflicting casualties on the enemy....

RM3 Fred Roker fell out of boat into the sand, aimed down his Springfield Rifle at a Japanese soldier manning a Type 96 LMG and pulled the trigger, annoyed when his well-aimed round did little more than graze the Japanese soldier's shoulder....

OOC: [3d6] = 10; [5d6] = 12, [2d6+1]11+1 = 12; nothing special on the jam dice

Falling down next to Roker, Gurkha soldier Gurung also took aim at the LMG wielder and quickly worked the action of his SMLE, sending 3 shots downrange.....

[3d6] = 9, [3d6] = 8, [3d6] = 13...one hit....Damage: [5d6] = 17 vs STR resistance roll: [2d6+1] = 5+1 = 6; LMG gunner KIA; Jam dice also were kind

Gurung silently berated himself for firing so fast that he didn't take proper time to aim and his first two shots were both high, but for his final shot, he adjusted and put a round right thru the LMG wielder's head, dropping to the ground directly behind his weapon. A Rifleman next to him dropped his Arisaka and moved behind the Type 96, quickly trying to get in position to get the weapon into action....

Big Corporal Charlie 'Dutch' Van Horn leaps out of the whale boat, takes out his one Frag grenade, pulls the pin and lets it fly.....

[4d6] = 14; Just short....20 yards is medium range for a grenade throw, scatter dice time: [1d6] = 6 lucky! right towards the Japanese.....how far...scatter dice 2 (result in yards)...[1d6] = 2...so basically, a hit anyway....LUCKY!...Also, grenade is NOT a dud

His grenade hits right where he meant to throw but bounces a bit farther, but luckily the thick vegetation causes it to only travel an extra couple of yards behind the new LMG wielder and the nearby rifleman before it goes off with a bang....

[7d6] = 19, [2d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

The soldier manning the Type 96 LMG and the 2 rifleman on either side of him are pulped by the explosion and a ragged cheer goes up among the Americans on the beach!

PFC Teddy Gomez leaps out of the whaleboat, takes aim with his Trenchgun and fires a couple of shells at medium range at a Japanese Rifleman....

[3d6] = 10, [3d6] = 15; [4d6+2] = 14+2 = 16, [2d6+1] = 9+1 = 10

Teddy's first blast is short, kicking up sand in front of one of the Japanese Rifleman, but his second blast of triple-aught buckshot slams into his target, causing him to yell in pain and clutch his torso wound.....

PFC Wade MacGyver moved out of the whaleboat, raised his Thompson to his shoulder, took aim a Japanese Rifleman and pulled the trigger, sending a 5 shot burst at his target....

[4d6] = 20, nice hit! Also, the weapon didn't jam and the Hit roll was 10 higher than the Target number, so +2 is added to the damage roll making the damage go up from 5D+2 to 6D+1; [6d6+1] = 17+1 = 18, [2d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

Wade grunts in satisfaction as he walks a burst into the torso and head of a Japanese Rifleman, eliminating that threat FOREVER....

As SGT Marvin Acme leaped over the side of the whaleboat it occurred to him that for all of his years in the Corps, this is the first time he's ever undertaken the defining element of being a Marine....he's invading a hostile shore....

Shaking off the thought, he takes quick aim at a Nip Rifleman and fires a shot from his Springfield before he hits the deck and starts crawling towards the flank of the enemy squad....

[3d6] = 13; [5d6] = 15, [2d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

The veteran NCO's aim is perfect as he drills his target right through the heart, dropping him in an instant....

The other Americans on the beach also pour fire into the Japanese position, dropping several more of the enemy and only leaving a pair of Japanese Riflemen still in the fight. PFC Teddy Gomez* suddenly looks over at the enemy positions and thinks to himself, Man, it'd be GREAT if I was 10 yards behind them in that thick grove of trees, and with a sudden whip-crack of sound....he's suddenly crouched in the grove of trees, his shotgun in his hands, behind the Japanese soldiers and they have NO idea he was there. While he's wondering what just happened, suddenly his ears seem to pickup a ton of sounds far more clearly than he ever had before and turning his head to the right, he saw about 15 yards away, well hidden behind a cluster of logs, a pair of Japanese soldiers setting up small mortars that were clearly aimed towards his companions on the beach.......

In the group of Americans (and Allied personnel); Gurung, Roker and Acme all suddenly heard/smelled/tasted/felt the presence of another Talent (Talents who are near other Talents using their powers ALWAYS can feel/smell/etc. when these Powers are active)....while those who had been closest to Teddy (including Dutch) suddenly had the awful smell of ozone assault their noses....

*Okay, so sorry I took over Teddy for a moment, I hope that's cool....he is now OFFICIALLY a Talent. He can use his Teleportation Power for the next 5 rounds with no issues and his Hyper Perception for the next 7 rounds with no problems. Currently he is in the cover of a grove of trees some 10 yards behind 2 Japanese Rifleman who have no idea he is there and 15 yards from 2 Japanese mortar men who have no idea he is there....
Last edited by max_vale on Mon May 18, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Urson »

Dutch
Dutch smiles when he sees the Japanese turned into scrapple, then snuffles to get the ozone out of his nose, recognizing the honey-sweet whiff of Talent as he does.

Knowing how fickle Luck is, Dutch keeps his head down, low-crawling toward the right flank. he's not attacking this round, just trying to get in a better position.
FA FO

GreyWolfVT

#59 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Wade please at the performance pats his gun with pride then looks for the next target and thinks how nice it would be to be able to shield his friends from the enemy fire even if it is only for a short moment. Feeling like he is daydreaming he readies and fires at the next target further from the primary target his comrades are focusing on.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rex »

Gurung

Gurung remains prone, firing at the closest Japanese soldier twice.

Return to “Completed Missions”