Session 0

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session Zero

#21 Post by Hadarai »

Sounds good to me I'll make the change on my sheet.

Scott- I really like that idea, for one of Floki's traits I rolled that his life had been saved by an ally perhaps Vinwrick was one who saved Floki's life after the battle.

Or perhaps that could be Floki's tie to Tova.

I was also thinking that one of Floki's ambitions could be to either hunt down the creature that attacked his unit or maybe the creature was a pet for something else?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by ravenn4544 »

Tova could have been a healing hand during the battle that crossed paths with the others. Maybe we all know each other in some way? The battle could have been a raid that also happened to steal a prized relic from the temple Tova was a member of - he is tasked with bringing it back.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by ybn1197 »

I've put together a Dwarven Monk by the name of Gulnar Stormguard. In addition to being a monk, he is a well-trained brewer and cook; but also a sage. He may have been consulted as to the nature of the creature.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#24 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:
Scott308 wrote:OK. I made a halfling ranger, then when I saw my character sheet, realized he's going to die quickly. His movement was 5' due to low strength and being heavily encumbered.
To everyone:

What is your opinion of the variant encumbrance rule? I did play around with it a bit when dabbling with different characters and did find it pretty prohibitive. I'm all for the hint of realism in a fantasy game, but not if it is going to distract from the fun.
I'm really glad you did this! I adjusted Vinwrick so he had all the equipment he did previously, and he is under his limit- even with the heavier armor. He'll still want studded leather when he can afford it, but for now scale mail and the reduced dex bonus gives him the best AC for what he can afford.

Anyway, I didn't get a chance to voice my opinion before you got rid of the Variant Encumbrance rule, so I'll do so now. It makes it far more realistic, but really takes the fun out of it. I don't mind using Encumbrance so we can't carry a ridiculous amount of gear, but the Variant rule was too much. I am a big fan of the Fallout video game series. I've put in 400+ hours into Fallout 3, 4, and New Vegas. I preordered the $100 special edition of Fallout '76. Now, for those unfamiliarI with the games, the three I have played extensively have a realism/ hardcore mode (which you can turn on or off as you prefer), that requires you to eat and drink every so often, ammo and healing meds have weight, and encumbrance becomes more strict. I played realism mode only long enough to get the achievement.

Fallout '76 was realism mode all the time. I played the game about 20 hours straight the first day, and haven't touched it in the 15 months since. I was routinely running out of ammo. My food would go bad. I was basically wandering around starving with no way to hunt because I couldn't spare my precious few bullets on an animal when I may need them to defend myself. I had to build my character using perk cards that helped with those issues but took away from cool abilities in other areas and still struggled. Perhaps if I spent more time I could have figured it out and got the hang if it, but I stopped having fun after a few hours. The majority of the time I played it I was frustrated, angry, disappointed...not what I'm looking for when playing games.

That's what I was afraid of with the Variant Encumbrance rule. Five feet of movement becomes unplayable. It would slow the group down immensely while travelling, and in combat would really prevent him from engaging in melee or retreating if it becomes necessary. Reducing his equipment to avoid the penalties meant he'd be on the verge of picking up exhaustion or being unable to get benefits of a rest since he could carry such a small amount of food and water. I could see that it was going to really bring about a level of complication that I wasn't looking forward to managing. I don't play RPGs, especially fantasy RPGs, to deal with everyday minutae. Even if I'm playing a more realistic game, I still don't want "realism." Not to that level. I want to have fun.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:It makes it far more realistic, but really takes the fun out of it.
This is exactly why I changed my mind. It's just not worth it.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Scott308

#26 Post by Scott308 »

I signed up and was going to play no matter what rules you were using, but I know I'll enjoy the game more now.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

SeaSaltSong
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Session 0

#27 Post by SeaSaltSong »

I was going to weigh in on the encumbrance, but see I don't need to. Personally I find it only makes low level players struggle until magical storage comes into play and the rule becomes forgotten since everything is in some sort of magical storage bag. But anyway.

Hey guys. So I'm playing a Kythaela, Wood Elf Druid - circle of the Shepard (Summoning). Gist of her deal is wanderlust and wanting to travel and interact with new cultures. As a result it just seems to make sense that she traveled with a halfling caravan for a bout of time.

Scott, would it work for you that she met your halfling during that time and possibly left with you?

EDIT: This would also mean traveling with dwarves would be very appealing because, to her, completely new culture.
Characters
Lasombra, Sister Hannah || Baltimore by Night -- VtM 20th Anniversary
Wood Elf Druid, Kythaela Jadewind || Adventures in Manor Hills -- DnD 5e

GM
Orlando by Night -- VtM 20th Anniversary

Scott308

#28 Post by Scott308 »

SeaSaltSong wrote:Scott, would it work for you that she met your halfling during that time and possibly left with you?
I'm fine with that. They met up and began travelling together after Vinwrick left the army. Maybe he then was contacted by Floki, who knew him back in their army days, looking for someone he knew to adventure with. Vinwrick brought Kythaela, Floki brought Tova, who saved his life, and Gulnur somehow gets involved.

I'm just realizing the make-up of this party. I'm the only one without darkvision. :( For now, anyway. If we make it to third level, he'll get it then.

SeaSaltSong
Tracker
Tracker

#29 Post by SeaSaltSong »

Scott308 wrote: I'm fine with that. They met up and began travelling together after Vinwrick left the army. Maybe he then was contacted by Floki, who knew him back in their army days, looking for someone he knew to adventure with. Vinwrick brought Kythaela, Floki brought Tova, who saved his life, and Gulnur somehow gets involved.
Sounds good. So if I am getting what you are suggessting right:
  • Vinwrick leaves for army
  • Vinwrick and Floki meet in army
  • Kythaela leaves home and gets wrapped up in caravan
  • Vinwrick leaves army and got back to travelling caravan
  • Floki contacts Vinwrick about going off and doing things
  • Vinwrick agrees and invites Kythaela
  • Tova is already there when we get there, having been previously tied to Floki
  • Gulnur materializes out of the aether
Scott308 wrote: I'm just realizing the make-up of this party. I'm the only one without darkvision. :( For now, anyway. If we make it to third level, he'll get it then.
Not to worry. We'll find a demon, sell your soul, take some warlock levels.... seems fair lol
Characters

GM

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by dmw71 »

SeaSaltSong wrote:We'll find a demon...
I can arrange that. ;)

Maybe this has already been addressed (I will admit to not having read these 'Session 0' topics in either new game getting started), but this group has three mountain dwarfs (or dwarves).

Are they all from the same clan? Same mountain?

It is not a requirement. But, if so, there are a lot of story possibilities there.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Hadarai »

Same mountain, possibly different clans? I'd be cool with that.

As for Gulnur's connection I like that idea of being a consultant on the the day creature, he could've been contacted by Floki before the attack or possibly by Tova after the attack for information on how to deal with the casualties of the creatures attack.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by ybn1197 »

Hadarai wrote:Same mountain, possibly different clans? I'd be cool with that.

As for Gulnur's connection I like that idea of being a consultant on the the day creature, he could've been contacted by Floki before the attack or possibly by Tova after the attack for information on how to deal with the casualties of the creatures attack.
I'm good with the same mountain as well. My thought was Gulnur was contacted after the attack.

Scott308

#33 Post by Scott308 »

SeaSaltSong wrote:
Scott308 wrote: I'm fine with that. They met up and began travelling together after Vinwrick left the army. Maybe he then was contacted by Floki, who knew him back in their army days, looking for someone he knew to adventure with. Vinwrick brought Kythaela, Floki brought Tova, who saved his life, and Gulnur somehow gets involved.
Sounds good. So if I am getting what you are suggessting right:
  • Vinwrick leaves for army
  • Vinwrick and Floki meet in army
  • Kythaela leaves home and gets wrapped up in caravan
  • Vinwrick leaves army and got back to travelling caravan
  • Floki contacts Vinwrick about going off and doing things
  • Vinwrick agrees and invites Kythaela
  • Tova is already there when we get there, having been previously tied to Floki
  • Gulnur materializes out of the aether
That's pretty how I saw it.
SeaSaltSong wrote:
Scott308 wrote: I'm just realizing the make-up of this party. I'm the only one without darkvision. :( For now, anyway. If we make it to third level, he'll get it then.
Not to worry. We'll find a demon, sell your soul, take some warlock levels.... seems fair lol
I'm building him as a Gloomstalker when he gets to pick an archetype at third level. That'll give him Darkvision, among other things.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:I'm building him as a Gloomstalker when he gets to pick an archetype at third level.
So, no demon then? ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308

#35 Post by Scott308 »

His favored enemies are monstrosities not fiends, so...

Not that I would strenuously object to fighting a demon in a few levels, however.

SeaSaltSong
Tracker
Tracker

#36 Post by SeaSaltSong »

Devils it is then :lol:
Characters

GM

Scott308

#37 Post by Scott308 »

That would still be a fiend. :D

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#38 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:Not that I would strenuously object to fighting a demon in a few levels, however.
Noted.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by dmw71 »

Though, come to think of it, I have never been the DM in a game where a group has left the Prime Material plane. I've never run a battle against a demon or devil; the closest thing has been an imp.

It could be fun.

Challenging, but fun.

I'm not saying it will happen, but it might.
-- Project --
-- DM --

SeaSaltSong
Tracker
Tracker

#40 Post by SeaSaltSong »

Kythaela's Backstory

Link to it is also in her character sheet under background