Sparring Ring

Monsieur Rose
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Sparring Ring

#1 Post by Monsieur Rose »

There's been a request to have some sparring. Or a place to practice on each other. Any sparring done here does not transfer to the current story. So feel free to try out that flying elbow.

Sparring Partner:
Dwayne | Human | Fighter | HP: 10 | Move: 12
Pummel: (def/attack) 80/20 Grapple:70/10

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Sparring Ring

#2 Post by Zhym »

Lug grins, bows, and bull-rushes Dwayne.

[1d100] = 15 [1d100] = 32

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Round 1

Dwayne bows and watches the larger man come rushing in. His eyes widen as the light is blotted out when Lug reaches him and gets inside his defense. A vicious knee to the gut later, Dwayne is sucking air and is unable to retaliate this round.

Action!

Behind the scenes:
Dwayne's grapple defense was 70, Lug has a bonus of 104%, due to his larger size, and rolled a 15. A grand total of -89. A bit lower than 70. He manages to grapple Dwayne.
Lug's result roll was 35, with bonus of 72, again due to size. A grand total of 105, which results in 8 damage, plus his 1 bonus from high strength. This also results in stunning Dwayne, preventing his retaliation in the round.

Dwayne started with 10 HP. He takes 2 real damage and 6 temporary. Bruised and winded, Dwayne will fight on.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

Lug tries to knock his wheezing sparring partner to the ground.

Overbear: [1d100] = 74 [1d100] = 91

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Round 2

Lug quickly follows his knee by grabbing Dwayne's shoulders and tossing him to the ground. Again, the force of the impact causes the wind to get knocked out of Dwayne and he can't retaliate this round.

Action!

Behind the scenes:
Lug goes first in the round, due to his higher Dex.
Dwayne's grapple defense was 70, Lug has a bonus of 104%, due to his larger size, and rolled a 74. A grand total of -30. A bit lower than 70. He manages to overbear Dwayne.
Lug's result roll was 91, with bonus of 100, again due to size. A grand total of 191, which results in 4 damage, plus his 1 bonus from high strength. This also results in knocking Dwayne flat and stunning him, preventing his retaliation in the round.

Lug must use either pummel or grapple next round, overbear has already achieved what it can.

Dwayne started with 8/4 HP. He takes 2 real damage and 2 temporary. Severly bruised and winded, Dwayne is now on his back, seemingly at the mercy of the larger man.
Dwayne recoups 1 temporary HP. He is now at 6/3.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

Lug tries to punch his prone opponent.

Pummel: [1d100] = 66 [1d100] = 83

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Round 3

Lug quickly pounces on top of the fallen Dwayne, grabs his collar and punches him square in the jaw. Dwayne's eyes roll back in his head while his body goes limp.
Lug KO's Dwayne.

Behind the scenes:
Lug goes first in the round, due to his higher Dex.
Dwayne's pummel defense was 80, but since he is prone Lug automatically hit him.
Lug's result roll was 83, with bonus of -8. A grand total of 75, which results in 6 damage, plus his 1 bonus from high strength. This also results in knocking Dwayne out, since he has taken more damage than HP remaining.

I made a mistake on tabulating HP earlier. All damage is taken from HP pool, some is actual, some is recovered at the rate of 1 per round. A hit of 7, like above, means Dwayne, at full health, would now be at 3 HP, with some being recovered each round.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

When Dwayne comes to, Lug helps him up and offers to buy him a drink.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Round 2 Sparring

UA rules.

Sparring Partner:
Dwayne| Human | Fighter | HP: 10 | Move: 12

Dwayne stands on the deck, stretching and calls you over. "Combat on a ship can be very different, so let's go over some pointers." He slaps his bare chest and head. "Most everyone is going to be unarmored, only a right fool or crazy man wears metal armor at sea. If the salt air doesn't rust it, then you'll probably fall over in it."

"Try to use hard objects to hit with, they do more damage and are easier to stun with. Take a fish. Large and soft. Ish. Hard to knock a man out with that. That barrel over there? Much better. Large and hard. Of course, if all else fails, just use your head." He rubs his bald head and you can see the various scars crisscrossing his scalp.

"Final thing. No use trying to fight fair. Men go down faster when hit by multiple people. Best way to drop someone is to hit him while he's stunned. Why I've even see a group of gnomes drop a wall of a man. Scrabbled all over him, you couldn't see an inch of his skin while they fought."

"But enough of that. Who's up first? I promise to keep you out of the water."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by tibbius »

Rogg grunts unintelligibly, then answers: "Let's see what happens if I throw you into that barrel."

grapple [1d20] = 15
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Dwayne chuckles as Rogg rushes him and catches him talking. "That's what I like to see. Good lad."

Rogg grabs Dwayne in an arm lock, hampering his movement and ability to attack.

"Nice, nice. But now that you've got me, what are you going to do with me?"

Roll initiative and give me another action. You surprised Dwayne this round, but he'll fight back next round.

You can keep the hold on him, preventing him from moving. You can try to lift him, but he's a bit heavy to lift over your head. Your STR is 17, he weighs 200lb. You can definitely move him around, and can lift him over your head with a successful bend bars roll.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by tibbius »

initiative [1d6] = 6

Rogg attempts to load Dwayne up and throw him at the rain barrel.

bend bars [1d6] = 3 [1d100] = 69 don't know which for UA
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rogg tries to lift Dwayne up and into the barrel, but while he's tightening his hold, Dwayne twists and breaks free!

The two fighters face off once more, mere inches apart. "How about the rest of you? Haven't you learned anything yet? No reason to fight fair, come at me!"

Dwayne beats Rogg at the initiative, and counter-grapples. He is barely successful, and it forces the detangling of the pair. For illustrative purposes, and because I got rolled exactly what he needed to hit, I decided to have dwayne break free. He had a -2 to hit, and Rogg had a +1 to AC while grappling due to his high STR.

Bend bars/lift gates is d100, just like in 1e.

Return to “The Octagon (D&D)”