Chapter 1: The Righteous Go Free

Marullus
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: The Righteous Go Free

#141 Post by Rex »

Ganna

Ganna will drop back holding up her lantern so everyone can see clearly. "Horrible monster, fall back!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Marullus »

Session 1, Turn 7. Fourth turn of Adventure Phase.

Party: Durganor, Clough (Fresh), Tancred, Haar, Ganna, Cú Aislin (Angry), Grimm (Fresh)

Ganna will drop back holding up her lantern so everyone can see clearly. "Horrible monster, fall back!"

Seeing the troll, Clough will protect with his dagger. Cloigh calls for flame, "Torches, these creatures are more wary of flame than blade."

Jarred from his study of stelae and prompted by Clough's exclamation, Cu Aislin stops staring at it's vicious claws and recalls his teachings - Trolls turn to stone in sunlight and cannot regenerate from fire.

OOC:
Grimm should also role-play his remembering of tales as a helper.

Mechanically, the troll uses "Regeneration +1D" as it's weapon for Defend actions and "Claws +1s" for Attack actions. Attacking it with torches during it's Defend action leaves it disarmed against you, a net -2D to it's roll. Getting it into sunlight would be the Intent of a Kill or Trick conflict as a whole.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#143 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Haar

Grinning ear to ear, his teeth appearing eerily sharper than they did topside: Well would look at that gang, I may have lost my chance at gob nuggets, but I think I can do something with this. Haar drops his small sack near the entrance of the cavern. He then drew his trusty tenderizer and kept his lantern in his off-hand.

I think cooking it while we fight will in fact speed things along nicely towards a delicious conclusion. Mr. Bone mask sir, I know your type tend to read entrails and sacrifice for the trees or some such, but do you need all the meat?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#144 Post by Enoch »

Cu scrambles to his feet as he fumbles in his pack, pulling out an oily-looking bundle of reeds as he backpedals. "That is not a thing of nature.
Destroy it utterly, if you wish."
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Rex »

Ganna

Ganna continues to hold her lantern high and retreat towards the others.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#146 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Having not noticed his comrades moving to depart, Haar locks eyes on his prey. He has no idea how utterly outmatched he is and is blinded by the potential of new food. I would be much obliged if anyone let him know how alone he is in this. You look like you might be stringy, but I'm sure I have the herbs to season you out.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#147 Post by Enoch »

Roleplay away--once it comes to conflict we will all be in it together, no matter how hungry/eager you roleplay!

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Stirling »

Clough. 'Mouse no' 2'.

Assesses the doubt and fear creeping into the party as some look to depart the cavern. A large sword is on the water, could that help? He debates the wisdom of diving in the pool and trying to pull it out of the stone. Would it come easy or be a futile effort?

"I don't have to run faster than the troll. I just have to run faster than you!" he declares and runs for the tunnel used by Durganor and Guhnk.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#149 Post by Enoch »

Cu Aislin

"No, wait!" he shouts, as Clough starts to run. "We can't abandon this place. Fire and sunlight will kill this thing. And that sword--it holds power, but it is not unguarded."

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#150 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Looking at his fleeing comrade, Haar starts tittering Let the little mousy run, he will be sorry when I have prepared a culinary masterpiece! Mr. Bone mask, if this be a thing even near to nature I would heed your wisdom of where the sweet meats lie. I wouldn't want to bring harm to best cut.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Stirling »

Clough

Starts to make a quick exit for the tunnel. He reaches its mouth, ahead he can hear the faint footfall of goblin feet and the heavier boots stamps of Durganor echoing down the tunnel.

He would hate though to hear behind an echo following him, perhaps haunting his future steps. "Craven ... Craven ... Craven ...."
Fighting his instinct to run and self preserve. He runs out the tunnel mouth to flank behind the troll.

let me know if I need roll anything

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:The entire Conflict Scene fits into Turn #3. ... We'll then post turn-by-turn for the Conflict actions.
Okay, I'm going to put a hold on the freeplay for now. Everyone needs to go to the OOC thread and specify if your character is performing an Attack, Defend, Maneuver, or Feint.

While we're being patient for DrPete, discuss your plans there. The conflict captain specifies the order of actions (the first three for the first round) and then we'll roleplay and roll dice in order.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Rex »

Ganna

Ganna rushes over to the dropped sack and grabs a torch, using her lantern to light it.

"Keep Back foul beast." Defend action

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#154 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Tancred

Dagger in hand, I swallow my fears and face the beast. Hopefully keeping out of it's reach while getting it to focus on me, thus presenting a suitable opening for my comrades. I won't grab a torch, fearing that the fire would keep it from focusing its attention on me. There should be enough light from the others carrying torches for me to be in the light.

Rolling for Disposition: Health 3 + Fighter/3D + Help/3D
Disposition: [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4

An average roll.

So we have 6 Hit Points. One for each of us.

I've suggested the first round order in the OOC discussion. Once/If that's agreed upon I'll post my Maneuver action here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Marullus »

Okay! You guys picked a Drive off Conflict. You have Disposition 6, 1hp each. The Troll has a Disposition 12 for this conflict type and only itself. It has Order of Might 5 and you have Order of Might 3, so it will have +2s per action it takes.

Haar and Ganna are both still holding lanterns and Ganna has already grabbed a torch, so everyone can remain lit. Plus, the room had its own Dim Light from the sunlight streaming down the well shaft and illuminating the pool. We won't worry about light for this conflict

The troll leaps out from its hiding place in the midden heap and hopes to surprise you!
His first action is an Attack. Yours is a Maneuver. That is a 'Versus' interaction, so we'll compare the difference after the rolls.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#156 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Tancred

Yo! Troll, over here, you ugly thing.

I'll also throw a stone at him, not to cause damage but to get his attention on me.

Rolling for Maneuver/Will-5
Maneuver (Will): [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 3

+5D for help
Maneuver (Help): [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4

So 4 successes.

Adding my Defender Trait as a bonus die. I'm willing to step forward to take damage from the troll to keep it from attacking my comrades.
Maneuver(Defender trait): [1d6] = 3

Of Course! It would be helpful if I distract it from the shadows, keep it guessing on where it's opponents actually are.
Spending a Persona Point to reroll all failed dice.
Of Course! (first 4D): [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4
Of Course! (last 3D): [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 1

So, it looks like my total is 6 successes.

Ugh, I don't have any Persona Points left, so will use a Fate Point for Ah hah! and reroll one failure.
Ah Hah!: [1d6] = 5

Ok, so my final result is 5 successes.

Grimm! While its back is to you, shoot it!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Marullus »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:Ok, I'll take over as conflict captain.

The order we should go for the first round would be
1) Tancred uses Will/5 to Maneuver, hopefully to get an advantage
2) Grimm uses Fighter/4 to Attack, we need to apply "damage" with Attack or Feint at some point
3) Ganna uses Will/4 to Defend, and possibly recover any lost Disposition
Session 1, Turn 7. Fourth turn of Adventure Phase.

Party: Durganor, Clough (Fresh), Tancred, Haar, Ganna, Cú Aislin (Angry), Grimm (Fresh)

Drive Off Conflict: Action 1 - Maneuver v Attack
Troll Disposition: 12 / 12
Party Disposition: 6 / 6

The troll leaps out of the midden heap, hoping to grab Ganna and her red cloak in its claws! Ganna falls back, grabbing a torch from the sack. Clough contemplates fleeing the beast but instead steels himself and flanks the beast.

Tancred leaps to the front, armed only with his dagger, and tries to draw the attention of the beast not only onto himself, but distract it and lead it away from the others! His wisdom at defending others provides the critical advantage and the Troll roars, turning its attention from the closer Ganna with a blow to the troll's head from an errant stone.
1 Persona Spent by Tancred.

Troll attack 1/2 [1d6] = 6[1d6] = 1[1d6] = 1[1d6] = 2
Troll attack 2/2 [1d6] = 2[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4
2 Successes, +2s = 4 Successes.

Party is 4 Successes up! You get +2D bonus on your next action.

Drive Off Conflict: Action 2 - Attack v Feint
Troll Disposition: 12 / 12
I am rolling Grimm as an NPC.

"Grimm! While its back is to you, shoot it!" shouts Tancred. Grimm has been holding his crossbow and expecting just such a threat to emerge at any moment. He launches a quarrel while the others go in for a closer kill.

The troll expected Tancred to defend himself as it bore down on him and feints aside to lure him out of position. It is completely outmaneuvered, leaving itself open for attacks from its flank.

Attack vs Feint leaves the Troll flat-footed. It gets no roll. All Attack successes directly deplete its Disposition.
Grimm rolls 4D Fighter +3D help from Tancred, Haar, and Clough +1s from crossbow +2D from previous Maneuver. Spent 1 Fate to re-roll 6s.

Grimm Attack 1/2 [1d6] = 1[1d6] = 2[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 3[1d6] = 4
Grimm Attack 2/2 [1d6] = 4[1d6] = 5[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 6
Grimm Attack - Reroll 6s [1d6] = 1
7 Successes!

Drive Off Conflict: Action 3 - Defend v Maneuver
Troll Disposition: 5 / 12

Ganna performs a Defend action against the Troll's Maneuver. That's a Versus test, so her successes subtract from its successes as it tries to set up for the top of the new round. Ganna rolls her 4D Will +5D Help, applying her traits, nature, etc., normally.

EVERYONE: Narrate your help in the initial maneuver and you get a Passed Will Test.
Tancred, Haar, and Clough: Narrate your skilled attacks against the beast and get a Passed Fighter Test.

...and that's how a conflict works. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Rex »

Ganna

Ganna waves her now lit torch at the Troll, "Back this way stupid troll." Defend

Defend 4d [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 5

Defend +5d Help [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 2 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 3

Did I get this right?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#159 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Yup, that looks right. You could spend a Fate or Personna to reroll or add additional dice if you wanted to. The Defend action allows us to recover lost disposition, but we haven't lost any yet, so it's a moot point at the moment.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Stirling »

Clough

After his initial escape to the tunnel he u-turns to creep in the shadows behind the troll and then in a wild frenzy, trying to make his blood curdling shout echo around the cave, he stabs out at the trolls thick skin, slashing and hacking.

When the troll exits, he wipes his brow. "Perhaps we should continue onwards and return here at a later time."

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”