Character Sheet Customization?

If you need support for dice roller or the forums, post here.
Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Character Sheet Customization?

#1 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Quick question -
Is there any way to customize some of the info on the character sheet, or is that all hard coded in? In particular, I'm looking at Saving Throw categories (different in AD&D which is used on the sheet and BX/BECMI, which I'm running) and under Weapons, being able to swap Thac0 for a hit bonus if running a system that uses attack bonuses and ascending AC like Basic Fantasy or Swords & Wizardry.

Thanks!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Character Sheet Customization?

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Koren n'Rhys wrote:Is there any way to customize some of the info on the character sheet, or is that all hard coded in?
I'm almost certain they're hard-coded. Your best bet will be to utilize the available note fields or the actual 'Notes' tab.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#3 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

dmw71 wrote:
Koren n'Rhys wrote:Is there any way to customize some of the info on the character sheet, or is that all hard coded in?
I'm almost certain they're hard-coded. Your best bet will be to utilize the available note fields or the actual 'Notes' tab.
That's what I assumed, and what we've done so far. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask though. Thanks for the quick response!

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Leitz »

Is it possible to use multiple character sheet formats, assuming users helped created said formats?

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by cybersavant »

i have the same question - multiple sheets for different games

how hard is it to code the sheets?
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Norjax »

If the coding could be modified, would the current layout be sufficient so long as the field names were customizable? Obviously for OSR games with six ability scores and no more than five saving throws this would be feasible. For an OSR deviation like DCC, there are still six ability scores using different names. Having only three Saving Throws, the first three of the existing format could be renamed and the remaining two could be left blank; the blank boxes would be acceptable IMHO.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by ToniXX »

Norjax wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:06 am If the coding could be modified, would the current layout be sufficient so long as the field names were customizable? Obviously for OSR games with six ability scores and no more than five saving throws this would be feasible. For an OSR deviation like DCC, there are still six ability scores using different names. Having only three Saving Throws, the first three of the existing format could be renamed and the remaining two could be left blank; the blank boxes would be acceptable IMHO.
Yes, for the games that are similar to 1ed/2ed, such as OSR games and DCC, changing just the labels of the fields would be a lot easier. I personally don't know much about any game other than 1ed/2ed D&D, so if I was to tackle this and make modifications, I'd need a lot of input from the community.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by cybersavant »

was thinking about this last night - what about a generic sheet - where in addition to filling in the fields, the user could rename the stats, etc
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by ToniXX »

I'm thinking about how to build a completely generic character sheet, and I've got questions:

I'm assuming
. . . that all games have the basics: PC name, age, race, height, weight, gender, eye color(?)... etc. Am I leaving anything out?
. . . that all games have ability scores of some type: STR, INT, WIS, or cunning, comeliness, bravery, etc and that consists of a name ("strength") a (most likely) numeric value (16), and modifiers based on the score (+20 lbs, bend bars 1-2 in 6)

Do they have a saving throw system?
What about money? I assume it could be simply "credits" or it may be 'gold, silver, copper' etc.
What about weapons? Thaco? Range values (This may be wildly different from game to game)
Inventory is pretty basic. I assume every game needs a list
Spells? Only needed for 'medieval' OSR games? Do space games have spells (or spell like things)?
The Notes tab on the current sheets can stay the same. It's good for cleric turn charts, thief skills, any pretty much anything else

I'd like to hear from you on any of these above points.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Traveller doesn't really do saving throws at all
but it does have such things as Computer Programs; Psionic Abilities; Superpowers which could be spell-like or skill like
Money could be Cr but there are Note and Bank Accounts and Bullion and Bills

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Leitz »

ToniXX wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:16 am I'm thinking about how to build a completely generic character sheet, and I've got questions:
My main question is "can you share the current sheet's layout and logic?" While I admire your willingness to do stuff, the whole Open Source movement gets a boost when other people help. It also helps the board admin retain a modicum of sanity. :)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Assuming there is even a modicum of sanity in the Admin team in general, or ToniXX in specific. ;)
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Leitz »

rredmond wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:46 pm Assuming there is even a modicum of sanity in the Admin team in general, or ToniXX in specific. ;)
Hey, that was my "say something nice at least once a year" effort.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by ToniXX »

Leitz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 pm My main question is "can you share the current sheet's layout and logic?" While I admire your willingness to do stuff, the whole Open Source movement gets a boost when other people help. It also helps the board admin retain a modicum of sanity. :)
I don't mind sharing the source, but there are pages and pages of it for the character sheet alone. And I'll be very surprised if anyone here is also familiar with VBScript and ASP.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Leitz »

ToniXX wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:00 am
Leitz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 pm My main question is "can you share the current sheet's layout and logic?" While I admire your willingness to do stuff, the whole Open Source movement gets a boost when other people help. It also helps the board admin retain a modicum of sanity. :)
I don't mind sharing the source, but there are pages and pages of it for the character sheet alone. And I'll be very surprised if anyone here is also familiar with VBScript and ASP.
I've had to deal with a couple hundred thousand lines of undocumented Perl, so...

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Leitz »

Okay, here's a sample Traveller Character.

Code: Select all

Jakob Domici 7ABC56-7 Age 32
Battledress-1, Blade-2, Demo-1, GunCbt(CbtR)-1, GunCbt-(HighEWpns)-1, GunCbt-(Laser)-2, HeavyWpns(GrenadeLauncher)-1, Instruction-1, Leader-2, Mechanic-1, Medic-1, Recon-1, Tactics-2

Schools: Commando School, OCS, Command College, CrossTng-Medic
Decorations and Awards: MCUF-2, MCG-1, CSR-6, CC-2
Morale: 15

Equipment
cloth armor cut to match local middle class working clothes.
reflec armor underneath.
autopistol, 2 extra mags.
LI/IR goggles.
MedKit, Paramedic loadout
My interpretation for a character layout that would work for Classic Traveller (CT), Mongoose, and Cepheus Engine based games, compared to an existing character sheet

PC Basics
Personal Attributes
Class becomes Background
Race becomes Species
Remove: Alignment, XP, HP, AC, Level

Ability Scores
STR, DEX, END, INT, EDU, SOC: For the character sheet, a straight number would be used. For the UPP (7ABC56-7), Hexadecimal notation is used so that one digit covers each stat.
Optional: PSR Psionic Strength Rating, some games just don't use it. That's the number after the dash for Jakob: 7ABC56-7
Double Optional: Morale (Used by a few of us)

Remove Saving Throws

Weapons
Remove Att/Rnd
Range has three entries: "Effective", "Long", and "Extreme" An example
- Different games use Xd6 or Penetration for damage, so the Range entry field need to be a string, so it can handle numbers and parentheses.
Damage: One field, drop the "sm/l".
Change "Spec" to "Skill".
Change "Dbl Spec" to "Stat Mod".
Remove THACO.

Inventory

Remove "Magic Items", and "Gems and Jewelry".
Wealth just goes to "Credits", one value.

Spells
Change header to "Skills".
Drop the "Memorized" and "Spell Book" headers.
Change "Add new spell" to "Add Skill"
The existing string and Level entry should work.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by tibbius »

What a fun project! For someone else ... I am content to do "custom" character sheets as plain text in a separate thread under the game forum.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by ffilz »

For Traveller weapon ranges you need 5: Close, Short, Medium, Long, Very Long... (for Classic Traveller), and then you need 7 armor choices...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Leitz »

ffilz wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:55 pm For Traveller weapon ranges you need 5: Close, Short, Medium, Long, Very Long... (for Classic Traveller), and then you need 7 armor choices...
That's why so many of us go to Striker. :)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by hedgeknight »

I'm interested in a 5E sheet...does that exist here?
Right now, my players are using the sheets on D&D Beyond.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Help and Support”