[012] Bug out and return to the Kiara Surabi

ffilz
Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

Re: [012] Bug out and return to the Kiara Surabi

#81 Post by Ramona »

That’s why Sara, much smarter than I will be here too. We’ll start with a map, showing the area around the temple, then we’ll put in some spider icons in the temple. Then we’ll add in a flying ship icon with more spiders, do the universal hand gesture for crashing followed by putting the crashed ship in a couple places hoping he’ll get the hint.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#82 Post by lenusmars »

We'll start with giving him food of course. Universal sign of friendship and all that, to offer sustenance. I'll try to remember what I know from training, concerning the Vargr. We all get the rundown on the major sapient species, but honestly I didn't get the deep prep that scouts one the edge of Vargr territory do. On top of that, this one doesn't look like a lot of it would apply to him anyway, being from a much older form of civilization, but there might be some fundamentals as far as interaction that will hold true. I will remind Ana not to bare her teeth... almost all Vargr take that as a hostile expression. And I'll have to fight my own urges to smile as a way to demonstrate that I'm friendly.

I'll actually draw a fairly clear symbol for 'ship' on paper. I'll draw a simplified view of the Kiara Surabi and indicate it as a representation of the ship we're on. Then show another ship with a spider icon on it. Or perhaps one with a simplified dog head hieroglyph And with the paper ship I will indicate the action of landing on our map. If there's something handy to make a rough model of the temple, I might do that too.

Most sapients grasp iconic representation fairly easily. Weather he understands exactly what we're asking will be harder to know. But we'll see if he can tell us the basics of his story.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Tiglath »

joertexas wrote:Vee takes a breath. "My Lord, House Foix, and you, are on the cusp of a great opportunity. As the Imperium withdraws, it creates a vacuum. That vacuum is being filled as we speak. Now, this moment, is the time victory will cost us the least in blood and treasure. The question before you is, how will you move to secure our House's interests?"
Foix replies with a word and a fond smile "Cautiously".

Noting Ana and Sara's attempts to communicate with the vargr he suggests that Lady Alicia and Squee assist as best they can.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Foix replies with a word and a fond smile "Cautiously".
Vee bows slightly. "As you say, my Lord. If I may, I would like to check on our new friends."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#85 Post by ffilz »

Sara's interview of the Vargr elicits the following information:

The Vargr colony here came from elsewhere, the Vargr doesn't have enough knowledge to indicate where, but Sara gathers it was some 200 Imperial years ago.

Some 140 years ago, the spiders invaded. They landed in ships and destroyed many Vargr villages and started ruling the area before something happened some 40 years ago and most of their troops went up in fire. Something seems to have destroyed the ships on landing, or at least they never flew again (maybe they were one way colony ships).

Recently a small group of spiders with lasers took over the temple.

There are Vargr villages hidden in the valleys nearby the temple.

From the scouts, you gather (with what little video evidence is present corroborating):

They went in with a team of 4, they did not see the leader among the "scouts" revived. The goal was to explore the temple and determine if it was the source of the field that seemed to be protecting the mountainous region from the worst of the radiation, and to try and determine why the region was being protected. The scouts had NOT found evidence previously of Vargr or the spiders. The team didn't make it past the entrance corridor before being jumped and all taken out.

Hiruto Petrov was hired for computer, electronics, and prospecting talents, and the fact that he could shoot his way out of a wet paper bag.

The leader and the other two are actual scouts and none of them had any combat skills. The leader An Hong, had Engineering and Mechanical skills, Simon Novak had Jack-o-Trades, and Thaddaeus Chang was a Medic. All were Pilots (as expected of Scouts).

Nathan and Ananya had been left outside to try and repair the Air/Raft while the four of you entered.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Tiglath »

Foix asks if the vargr can put an accurate number on the "small group of spiders with laser weapons".

Having heard the briefing it seems he will need some persuading that any return to the Temple is currently required.

While the team deal with the vargr Foix interviews the scouts and asks why they risked their lives, those of their team and Foix's people on such an apparently foolhardy venture.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by ffilz »

Tiglath wrote:Foix asks if the vargr can put an accurate number on the "small group of spiders with laser weapons".

Having heard the briefing it seems he will need some persuading that any return to the Temple is currently required.

While the team deal with the vargr Foix interviews the scouts and asks why they risked their lives, those of their team and Foix's people on such an apparently foolhardy venture.
Additional interviewing the scouts indicates they had no idea the spiders existed so from their perspective it should have been an empty ruin.

From the Vargr, you are able to ascertain there are perhaps 4 more spiders with lasers, and maybe 20 or so more unarmed spiders. From recent history, that is a large spider force, usually they are just 10 spiders usually unarmed, with a rare patrol having one spider with a laser.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Tiglath »

To each scout he replies “You deserted your posts to conduct a mission way beyond your remit or resources. You conducted no reconnaissance or research and, as Scouts, then found yourselves embroiled in a war between not one but two alien races which had escaped your professional attention. In doing so you endangered Imperial citizens whom you employed and those of the Domain of Foix who were forced to rescue you from your own incompetence”.

“I suspect your motives for visiting the Temple were illegal and the tale you have told me does nothing to convince me otherwise. You are detained by House Foix on suspicion of gross dereliction of your duties and desertion pending Court Martial”.

Foix then shares his current thoughts with his comrades “The spiders hold the Temple in sufficient strength to deter anything but a properly equipped military assault. As we are all too aware a lack of ranged weapons is no penalty for them in confined terrain. House Foix troops are the only military forces nearby who are capable of conducting such an assault. However, these troops are gainfully employed elsewhere - possibly months away. I can see no material or political benefit to House Foix in storming a temple on the far side of this radioactive wasteland. With the greatest respect to my Aunt's interest in xenoarchaeology I have yet to hear any argument that convinces me that this can be either necessary or justified”.

“I propose to train and equip the vargr from Imperial stores in order that they will have military parity with the spiders from which they can negotiate a lasting peace”.

He turns to Sara "Captain Kelley, we have established that I lack some understanding of the Scout Service and so I would value your opinion and advice on this matter".

To the team at large he says "I would like to hear your views on the situation".

(OOC: Given the current Imperial collapse it appears that Foix classifies a xenoarchaeology expedition akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. One requiring military resources seems even further beyond any balance of risk and reward. I'm happy to be convinced othwise :) ).

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by ffilz »

This is the sort of stuff I love... It's cool that a little "dungeon" expedition has turned into something more and helping define just what is going on in this almost forgotten corner of the Imperium. I'm going to give Lenusmars a chance to provide some input. My thoughts are leaning towards that there was obviously some recklessness in the Scout approach to these ruins, it may or may not raise to the level of dereliction of duty that Foix is expressing (though as a Noble and Army General, some of what he is expressing may be opinion rather than "how it actually works").

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Tiglath »

(OOC: But of course! :D

Foix is expressing his individual view through his ex-military perspective here - whilst well and truly wearing his “noble hat”. I've set him up here to be disagreed with so, for those joining the game, please feel free to do so! ;) :)

He is not familiar with Scout operations or conducting missions as "independently" as they do - especially in light of the "draw down" of Imperial forces in the region. Although it seems that, by any measure, this one didn't go at all as planned...

However, those that have at least some knowledge of Foix will be all too aware that if any of the crew were marooned in spider infested territory he would conduct a rescue attempt, alone if necessary, driven by his innate sense of chivalry ... and the utter certainty that he would not fail! :roll: ;) :)

So, whilst perhaps preaching "Do as I say and not as I do" he has, at least, made some effort towards consultation …).

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by Faanku »

Nathan chimes in from the back of the room. "Look, far be it from be to start laying down the law after you saved our arses back there and got us off this rock, but we were chartered to find these guys and get them back home safely. You're putting me and the skipper between a rock and a hard place here with this citizen's arrest angle." He moves forward. "I got no great attachment to the Firm, but work is hard to find out here for a guy like me, and they don't tend to take risks on who they hire twice."

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Tiglath »

Foix listens as he reaches for a crystal decanter and casually pours himself a glass of cognac before passing the drink around the table.

He replies “M’sieu Quinn, I take no issue with your conduct – in fact I commend it. You completed your mission ably and to the best of your ability in a very difficult situation. My argument lies with those who put you there. A younger, rasher version of myself would have called them out in turn and demanded satisfaction. Those who are so careless with others’ lives should learn that there are consequences to their actions. I believe I’m mellowing - so I decided to try this method”.

He gestures indicating the assembled company “This consultative approach is new too”. He adds with a smile “It’s a trial period” then continues “Alas, I am no “citizen” M’sieu for I carry a greater burden - I am a Domain. A bright handful of worlds and business interests spread throughout the Rift - all containing people for whom I am responsible. When they are endangered I take action to protect them. That is my duty”.

Foix continues “A time is soon coming where men of action like yourself will have to make a choice. The Imperium is fading like a dying star and the Rift will need to seek its own future. My Aunt's ship needs a gunner and I have seen you in combat - and so thereby you have employment. However, I am sure I will soon need your loyalty – I hope to earn it”.

(OOC: The “problem” with Foix is that this isn’t a political speech but, for him, a belief system and he is charismatic [Leader 2]).

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#93 Post by lenusmars »

Sara has been watching the exchange.

"Well.." She glances at the scouts and decides not to argue with his title for her even though she's not in command of this ship. "um... My Lord, there is an awful lot we don't know here. And, um, to be fair we went in with only minimal information and research ourselves."

"The Scouts do this kind of thing all the time. We aren't the Army or the Navy. Have you ever looked at the survival statistics for my old service? And with fewer resources and the Imperium's desire for any and all potentital ancient technology, this isn't surprising. We do deep space exploration often entirely on our own, and in general we take risks that regular military would consider... well crazy. But in the eyes of the Imperium its better to send a well trained person with a high risk tolerance into and unknown situation and hope for the best, than to field a more robust expedition."

She shrugs. "And we know that. We don't go places expecting people to rescue us. We often go beyond our resources. That is our remit. We know that any mission can be our last, and we might die for really dumb reasons. I know the Army makes a virtue of not leaving people behind unless absolutely necessary to accomplish the objective, but we're effectively left behind from the moment we take a mission... and we know it. We're, um, disposable."

"So... I think accusing these men of dereliction of duty is... not accurate." She looks at Foix apologetically. "This was their duty. They didn't expect people to come after them, or rescue them if things went badly. It's a serious stroke of luck that we did. If you want to hold someone accountable for this mission, I would look higher up, for a noble with enough weight to get scout HQ to commission a mission, 'specially if the mission was classified."

She puts her hand on Foix's arm and lowers her voice to just him. "Look, I understand the outrage at the risk. If Ana hadn't..." She swallows. "If Ana hadn't made it I probably would be even more upset. But that's what I know."

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by joertexas »

lenusmars wrote:She puts her hand on Foix's arm and lowers her voice to just him. "Look, I understand the outrage at the risk. If Ana hadn't..." She swallows. "If Ana hadn't made it I probably would be even more upset. But that's what I know."
From her vantage point at Foix's right hand, Vee also hears the exchange. If she didn't respect Sara's professionalism and grit before, and she had, she surely did now. She looks around the table to observe the others' reaction to Sara's comments.

Fantastic exposition on the Scout Service!!!
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Tiglath »

Foix listens carefully to Sara and with increasing respect “During Air Mobile operations my Paras were surrounded every time their feet hit the ground. It was one of the things we accepted but was a difficult operational concept for those outside the unit to work with. It seems that the Scout service shares similar unique characteristics”.

“Now, the judgement of the Comte de Foix is infallible and a good General makes decisions with the information he has" he lets out a breath "but a better one also takes good advice”. He gives Sara a warm smile and appears most grateful for her words and even more so for her empathy as he continues “He can also recognise when he’s been outmanoeuvred! Due to a well presented argument that the Scouts can rely on a defence of the necessity of their duty they will be released and the charges against them dropped”.

Appearing entirely satisfied Foix smiles again and cheerfully concludes “Of course, none of these findings prove that I was wrong!”

(OOC: Indded! A great speech by Sara! 8-) )

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote:Appearing entirely satisfied Foix smiles again and cheerfully concludes “Of course, none of these findings prove that I was wrong!”
Vee lifts her water glass to her lips and takes a drink.

I think Sara's speech should be submitted to a Traveller archive site and saved. It really captures the essence of the Scout Service, and it would be a shame to lose that insight.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by ffilz »

Oh, do I love this stuff! I will take some time later and copy Sara's speech at least into Google Docs where it won't be lost.

At this point, a refresh of what actions are to be taken at this point would help me know what GM input to give next. I think we're ready to continue on to the next world? (and maybe an OOC note on the intent there so I can prepare anything necessary).

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Tiglath »

The Domain of Foix policy is going to be to arm and armour the Vargr so they have a chance to take back their temple and/or negotiate from a position of parity with the spiders.

Foix has little interest in either xeno archaeology or in getting his House embroiled in a war that the Imperium has now "discovered" on its own doorstep. He can see little to no practical advantage for the Domain in either option in the short term.

He will continue to attempt to recruit ex Legionnaires and gather House assets to him. This will include concentrating House troops and ships in preparation for any potential military option and confirming existing political alliances and loyalties. He will also attempt to gather any Intel he can on events at home.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by ffilz »

So what is the next action?

What briefing are going to give to the Navy? (I'm assuming all this back and forth has been conversation before you actually took something to them)?

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Tiglath »

All we can do is tell it like it is - even if we don't the rescued Scouts will anyway.

Foix will give his opinion that militarily the mission seemed under resourced to the point of recklessness and believes there should be a review. However, he adds that he understands that this is how Scouts apparently conduct themselves.

He adds that, as House Foix has an interest in the matter, a military aid package will be sent to the Vargr to stabilise the region.

In short the whole mess gets handed back to the Imperials.

Then it's J2 to Damkina.

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”