Character Creation: Backgrounds and Contacts

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Creation: Backgrounds and Contacts

#1 Post by max_vale »

So, I wanted to throw out two things I've found over the years that I quite enjoy when it comes to creating a character in almost any kind of RPG setting....

The first comes from the Spirit of the Century Pulp game and basically it's concept is this....

Each player writes a paragraph about an adventure their character was the 'star' in...i.e. "Joe Schmo and the doo-hicky of DOOM"; and then passes the paragraph to another player or two who then write their own paragraph of how their character 'guest-starred' in the adventure; i.e. 'Sally Sob-Story was driving down a quiet back-road when she came across the unbelievable sight of Joe Schmo facing off against a mob of frenzied townspeople who had been hypnotized by the doo-hicky of DOOM and she quickly rushed in to give the adventuring academic a hand!'.

This is all done as a means of creating a collective back-story for the group and can really be a lot of fun...something I'd recommend to almost anyone not playing a game where everyone is on their first adventure EVAH! or where it's mandatory for no one to know one-another or something like that....

The second idea came from a now defunct PBP site and I forgot whose idea it was, but the premise was to have each character come up with a list of 6 contacts......a name, a brief couple of lines about what they do/how they know the PC/etc.; and 3 of these contacts were 'friends, family or somebody who'd help the PC' and 3 were 'enemies, rivals, people with a grudge against the PC'. So something like: "Buttheadius the Wise, cousin of my character Beave Is, a Cleric of ACEY-DEECEE, grew up together and always got along" for the 'good' contact; and "Prince Mik Vikker; ruler of Highlands, who wants Beave Is EXILED from the Principality'

These 6 blurbs are given to the DM/GM who can then incorporate them into the campaign/adventures as needed.

Anyway, I thought they were both cool, fun ways to build some bonding between characters and/or provide seeds for future adventures/ arcs/plot hooks/etc.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Character Creation: Backgrounds and Contacts

#2 Post by Scott308 »

Those are cool ideas. I will admit, that is a lot more effort than I put into most character backgrounds, however.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Return to “House rules”