To The Island!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

To The Island!

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

With a new player coming "on board" soon, and several characters currently in precarious situations, I will start up a new thread for anyone who wants to jump in as the newbs make their way to the island. We have 3 new PC's ready now, but if anyone else is on the fence about starting up a new character, now would be a brilliant time to get them in on some quality starting out action.

Quark stands at the helm of his large sailing vessel, shouting out orders to the crew of the Twisted Fate in his heavy sailors brogue. He appears more concerned than he was when the ship set out from Saltmarsh just one day before, often searching the horizon with one hand shading his eyes against the bright noonday sun.

The other passengers seem to notice this fact as well, the adventurer types and commoners alike, but nobody dares to ask the stern ships captain about his concerns. The crew remain as tight lipped as a concubine in church, but it is easy to see that they are also concerned about their captains concerning concerns. The ship quickly plows through the moderate swells of the expansive Azure Sea all the same, making good time to this so called Big Shiny Island that everyone has been talking about.

Most of the passengers are human settlers and adventurers, but there are a few of elven heritage on board as well. There is one frail looking she elf wearing dark blue robes with silver stars who spends much of her time on deck after dark, silently staring up into the night sky and scribbling notes into a journal of some kind. Though stunning to look at, she often appears sullen and seems barely strong enough to prevent being blown off the deck.

Another good looking male elf watches her movements, as well as any other female on board. He has long dark hair and appears quite well put together. He can often be heard singing and swooning over the ladies, using his chiseled looks and suave demeanor to win them over.

A strong but quiet half-elf sits alone, watching the male elf, often with disgust, and the female elf’s actions with minor interest. She appears shy, but willingly helps out any of the poor common folk that need aid throughout the 2 day voyage. She has a pack with her that is so stuffed that it must weigh easily as much as she does. The sailors sometimes joke about the amount of gear she has with her, repeating something about kitchen sinks.

The deck is fairly full of people and crowded in places, but so far the journey has been uneventful, peaceful even. The passengers continue to mingle and chat, getting to know each other somewhat to pass the time.

Ok, go ahead and post away, let’s find out how this works. :D I will jump in if/when necessary, but go ahead and RP to your hearts content in the meantime. Try to remember that these characters won’t know much about the island unless they ask around, so please don’t confuse player knowledge with character knowledge. Thanks and have fun! :mrgreen:

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: To The Island!

#2 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

A clear, bell-like voice rings out in happy song as Keyon leaps from the deck to grab a rope strung between the mast and the ship's rail. The young elf pulls himself lazily into the rigging and walks out upon a yard-arm to scan the horizon with a sailor's practiced eye.

"When I was a young lad in gaudy Gradsul,
I loved a fair maiden--a beautiful jewel.
Her eyes were like diamonds, her smile like the sun,
She took a lover--but I was not the one."

The wind catches his shirt of loose black silk and coaxes it partially open, and he closes his emerald eyes to relish the feel of salty sea air caressing his skin. It's a good day to be alive, Keyon tells himself.

His voice is tinged with sadness as he voices the final line in the stanza, as if recalling the charms of his lost maiden. But his lips curl in a roguish grin as he belts out the next verse, and he catches the eye of the stoic half-elf and winks before turning his gaze seaward once more.

"So to drown all my sorrows, I turned to strong drink,
And I sunk every ship that my bulkhead could sink.
As they each went down in a shuddering wreck,
I climbed up their rigging, with all hands on deck."

He finishes with a flourish and leaps to the deck with a catlike grace, chuckling at the clumsy old pirates' tune and its very thinly-veiled references.

"What a fine day, my friends," he mutters to no one in particular. Pausing near the lovely, frail elven woman, he performs a courtly bow and promptly sheds the guise of a rogue in favor of a gentleman's visage. "Milady," he says by way of greeting. "How find you the sea air? I've heard it said that the salt is good for your health." As is the case with most rogues, he can differentiate between a likely target and a woman too intelligent to fall for his charming nonsense.

His interest is genuine and unaffected, and he props against a crate and motions in the direction of their destination. "I'm Keyon, by the way. And I hear we're all in for a fresh start on this island." His normally jovial expression turns briefly somber. "Heaven knows I could use it." As the mirth bleeds from his eyes, he rakes a hand through his long, straight hair and tucks a handful of the wayward black strands behind his ear. But just as quickly as it faded, his pleasant nature rises to mask the keen mind beneath and he flashes a playful smile.

"What do you seek in the stars each night?" He gazes up at the endless sky, then back down to regard her with open curiosity. "I, too, look heavenward at night, but only to assure myself that our intrepid navigator remains on the proper course. What deeper mysteries do the stars hold for you, lady?"

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Darklin2 »

Brandy moves close to the Captain leaving her pack in plan view near the cabin wall.

So Captain what can you tell me of this island we venture too? Do they have a town setup yet? Do they have a healer or blacksmith set up to make the tools and weapons they need to survive? How often do you make this journey? If one needed a heavy piece of equipment say an anvil and smithing gear could you arrange for it to be brought here?

She stands by watching him steer and awaits a reply?
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Captain Quark looks at Brandy with a concerned expression on his old, weathered face. He sighs heavily before answering her questions as best he can.

“The island is an enigma....just appearing one day....in the middle of the sea....out of nowhere. It’s frought with dangers of all kinds. And if the monsters don’t get ya, the damn bugs will!”

“There is a town, Beachtown. Silly name, I know. It ain’t much of a town at all, really, more like a hommlet. They have healers, but most of em are eager adventuring types who ain’t around long.”
He looks the young woman over, specifically at her gear. “I suspect you have the desire to explore and make yer fortune as well, by the looks of ye.”

”I don’t believe they have a proper blacksmith yet, but they do have some handy folks around who can make do without.”

“We were making this trip twice a week, but the desire to come out here is waning in the port towns of the mainland, so we only come about once a week nowadays. And yes....of course we can ship heavy equipment.”
He points to the nearby crates and stacks of supplies on board. “That’s kinda what we do, young miss.”

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Darklin2 »

Looks at the concern on the Captain's face. Tries to ease his worry with small talk.

So Captain is there something we should be worries about? You look a little worried. If your up for it, I'd like to arrange for a Large Anvil, 5 or 6 Steel ingots and Large chest to be brought on the next shipment. I will pay you up front for it so I can get myself set up before you bring it back. Just name your price for the transport. I plan to set up a shop and help move these people forward. If you have any needs in the future for the ship let me know and I will help out. I will most likely need more metal in the future too. I hope to get my business going once I have enough coin and the shop set up.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

"Well Keyon, my name is Feanol" she replies to his greeting. "Well I'm not looking for a fresh start, just a fresh perspective. Which, will answer your last question. I look at the stars each night in wonder and amazement. I also look to confirm my earlier observations, and to keep an eye open for new objects, or the return of old ones. What is it you wish to accomplish with your new start?"
"

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

The young elf absorbs Feanol's answers with a slow nod. "A worthwhile pursuit," he says quietly. "The heavens hold a special place for sailors, too. They take us home...or to unknown lands." He smiles out across the swells and troughs of the foamy brine, then looks back to the frail elf with a thoughtful expression, as if choosing his words carefully.

"I seek...beginnings," he says. "Freedom from what has been and a fate of my own choosing." Keyon fills his lungs with the tangy sea air and dips his head in a cordial bow. "May you find your fresh perspective, Feanol."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

If everyone could try to remember to start their posts by noting their characters name at the top (in bold), that will really help out the newer members of the game. Thanks!
Darklin2 wrote:Looks at the concern on the Captain's face. Tries to ease his worry with small talk.

So Captain is there something we should be worries about? You look a little worried. If your up for it, I'd like to arrange for a Large Anvil, 5 or 6 Steel ingots and Large chest to be brought on the next shipment. I will pay you up front for it so I can get myself set up before you bring it back. Just name your price for the transport. I plan to set up a shop and help move these people forward. If you have any needs in the future for the ship let me know and I will help out. I will most likely need more metal in the future too. I hope to get my business going once I have enough coin and the shop set up.
The captain still looks concerned, though he pretends not to be.

"No, no. Its nothing really. Dont worry yourself over the wonderings of an old seaman like me, lass"

The captain shades his eyes with his hand again, still looking over the horizon as he answers Brandy's questions.

"That sounds like a wonderful idea. I am happy to aid anyone willing to help out the poor townspeople. Do you have these items ordered from someone in Saltmarsh already? Because if you only need them transported, I am happy to oblige. But I dont personally know where to get an anvil made for you."

He looks this way and that.

"If you dont have them ordered already, there is a mercantile in Beachtown. A nice young lady by the name of Nallissa would be willing to order them for you, but that will definitely cost you more. They drive a pretty hard bargain at the Hi-Lo there, and for good reason. They are the only store around for leagues."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

And then there were 4...... :)

As the elves get to know each other a little bit, they spot a young male dwarf sitting with the other passengers who appears to be following their conversations form a distance. Taller than most of his kind, He appears lean but extremely muscular and athletic. His fiery red hair and long beard blow in the warm sea breeze. He seems willing to join in on the conversation, despite the racial differences. Anyone getting close enough to the dwarf can smell a hint of soot on his otherwise spotless armor and gear.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

"Well Sir Keyon, my you find that fate of your own making". Noticing the Dwarf she says to Keyon, "it seems not only elves are in search of new perspectives. Sir Dwarf, what brings you out on the Oean Deep?"

Holy_Rage
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by Holy_Rage »

Drakkar

The young Dwarf approaches the Elven-blooded and offers a gruff nod; he seems to be pale and ill-at-ease on the boat itself, his steps taken carefully and after securing himself on the nearest mast, rail or handhold available. Thick gouts of perspiration are visible on his furrowed brow.

"Shards, this be nay whut I signed up for! Dwurs and seawater were nay meant to be together, I tell ye. Zagyg's armpits, it be a-rockin' hard, a storm brewin' around the corner, I be certain!.", the Dwarf grumbles and squints heavily, eyeing each of the passengers conversing nearby.

"Name is Drakkar, Fey-bloods. I heard yer fancy poems and yer star-dabblin'. Them things be for the wise and the learned; I am neither. Whut all o' ye know about this Isle? A'fore I start courtship or stargazin', I would rather be safe, without a hint o' danger nearby.". He then turns towards the Captain and grunts lowly: "And ye, Captain? Ye spoke of shops and wares mere moments ago. But who protects an' who endangers them?"

The Dwarf grabs hold of the nearest rail and looks sullenly around, letting out a deep sigh and peers at the horizon's expanse, where glorious sunlight flirts with the green-blue waters of the Azure Sea.

//Drakkar's picture, click on the button below.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Darklin2 »

Brandy

The female half-elf walks to the rail.

So Master Dwarf what do you seek in this new land? I go to set up shop and help the settlers carve out a new home. I plan to set up a forge and work steel and iron. Every new place needs iron for tools and steel for weapons. Do you know anything about working metal. I once was told that your folk once made the best weapons and armor the world has ever seen. Mithril and adamantine the likes of which are no longer found in our lands. You have the look of a Warrior about you. We should think about joining forces with these two elves. We should be a good starting group to start exploring. I am told that my mother's, sister's, cousin's, brother's roommate from the College of High Magic is here somewhere. I plan to find him and see what he knows and maybe we could stay with him until we get set up with places of our own. Anyway, I'm Brandy. Brandy with a "Y".

She walks back to her oversize backpack and takes a drink of water from her wineskin.
Last edited by Darklin2 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

The young elf shifts his inquisitive gaze to their dwarven companion. "So it would seem," he says under his breath, masking the ghost of a smile at the dwarf's halting progress across the deck.

"Good day," Keyon says with a cordial nod. "I know very little of our destination," he admits and shrugs. "Only that no one there knows my name." He flashes a grin and gazes in the direction of their eventual destination. "Blessed anonymity."

With a graceful leap, he lands lightly upon the rail and grips a stout rope with one hand and leans out into the salty spray to gaze into the fathomless sea below.

"I'm Keyon, Drakkar. It's a pleasure."

He cocks an amused eyebrow and turns to observe as Brandy matter-of-factly hits the dwarf with a wall of questions and suggestions.

Holy_Rage
Scout
Scout

#14 Post by Holy_Rage »

Drakkar

Finding himself in the midst of many queries, the Dwarf's face settles on a suspicious frown, but answers in deep, bass voice, much like stone speaking: "Well, I be Drakkar and that shall suffice for yer likes for now.". He casts a long gaze at the Elven star-cloaked woman and growls abruptly, after a moment of ponderous silence: "What brings me out to the Ocean Deep? Why, the promise of gold. New beginnings? I have had enough of those and they matter little to one living by axe and shield.".

He then turns to the Half-Elven woman and squints heavily, his frown deepening: "When mortals plan, the gods laugh, woman. Ye got a plan, aye, to peddle in metal cold. But does it fit the Isle? Or will it wringle ye, give ye fickle hope in the stead of hard toil then spit ye off lik' a sodden rag? A Dwarf knows his metal, aye. But I am nay a mere grunt, to batter and bash molten ore listlessly. Drakkar is better than his Kin. I work the noblest of metals, the most gleaming of stones, the finest of filaments. Aye, I be a Jeweller accomplished and from my hands, both King and beggar may see themselves fitted, as long as their pouches be deep and ladden with my heart's desire."

His gaze lingers unwittingly upon the unending watery swathes around them and he lets out another deep, resigned sigh, before eyeing Keyon fully. "Yer frolicks hide a wiser counsel than ye let others believe, bhoy. But Drakkar knows of empty promises and hungry eyes.".

A small keg near the Dwarf and the Elven host is swiftly upturned in a corner of the deck and becomes a makeshift seat for the Dwarf, who hops on it spryly and produces a charred, black wooden pipe. Scratching his ear with it, he then sets to stocking it without another word.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

A low chuckle begins deep in Keyon's chest and finally spills free as his head falls back and and he laughs into the foamy spray before bowing deeply to Drakkar. "As you say, good sir," he says with a crooked grin.

"These eyes can be naught but hungry with such delicacies to whet the appetite," he says with a playfully raised eyebrow at the ladies present. "But I fear your endearing bluntness would distract from what small charm I possess," he replies with a heavy sigh before spreading his arms to either side and walking the rail like a tightrope, humming a waltz beneath his breath.

"I like you, Drakkar," Keyon calls over his shoulder, before ambling down the rail amidships and lapsing once more into song.

A lilting ballad weaves like warm silk through the tangy air, a haunting melody of love and loss that takes any who choose to listen on a journey across vast continents and violent seas, teeming cities and desolate wastelands. Triumph and tragedy mingle in the final verse, and as the last note fades Keyon leaps from the rail and lands lightly upon his nimble feet.

He singles out a rather plain young woman and casts a guileless smile upon her as he falls silent and bows deeply. He produces a single pressed flower from a pocket inside his shirt and tucks it behind her ear. "I plucked this flower the day I left Gradsul," he says quietly, pitching his voice so that only she can hear. "Perhaps the sweet scent that lingers in its petals will remind you of home, as well."

He spins on his heel and strides toward the bow, retaking his position against the rail and gazing impatiently across the sea toward a place called Beachtown.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

After remaining silent during this torrent of discussion Feanol finally speaks "Well good Dwarf I can't speak for Keyon, but for myself I would be interested in a working agreement. While I have skills that can be of great value, I have some short comings when it comes to combat. And, from what I have heard of this island I believe that will be a distinct possibility. So if you were indeed serious in your offer, then I would be agreeable to such a partnership, and would think your offer of such to Keyon, and Brandy (She looks to the H-E and looks for ascent that she used the correct name and that the inclusion was welcome) is sensible. Personally I come to explore the night sky in a darker clearer sky than I can find on the continent."

Holy_Rage
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by Holy_Rage »

Drakkar

Watching Keyon ambling away with the slightest of smiles etched on his weather-worn face, the Dwarf turns to face Feanol. Sunken eyes watch the Elven woman for a long moment, his face inscrutable and impassive, much like a stone facade. He then speaks, his voice teetering on a bass growl: "I shall remember yer words, Elf. And if ye can complement my skills, I will make certain that our way is paved with gold. If threats physical be intimidatin' to ye, fear not. I can take care of such."

Drakkar pats a battle axe strapped on his back, its handle covered with treated leather, worn and blackened; the weapon bears marks of heavy use, but the metal is gleaming, cold and terrible. A wolfish, mirthless grin forms on the Dwarf's face.

"Everything has a price."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Really good stuff here so far everyone! :D

Captain Quark strolls by and notices Drakkar's dislike of the oceans motions. The old salt's face still carries a heavy look of concern, but at least he has stopped staring absently towards the horizon. "Your gonna get a cramp from squeezing those rails so tightly, master dwarf. It looks like ye dont care much fer the sea, eh? Ya must not be from the Stonegut clan, then? Ya seem too nice ta be one o' them anyway."

The captain looks a bit perturbed by the antics of Keyon as he dances through his rigging. He stares at the elf sternly before finally reacting. "We dont turn back fer leaping lords who fall overboard master elf. So watch yer step as ye dance around my deck. If ye fall, ye'll be shark food in minutes. And if ye scuff my rails with yer boots, you'll be on yer knees scrubbing them away with a toothbrush afore I allow ye ta disembark."

Looking upon Feanol and Brandy again, the Captain sighs heavily, but doesn't share the feelings he wears upon his sleeve. When Drakkar asks about who protects Beachtowns shops and businesses, Quark answers him rather matter-of-factly. "Well that be yer job, master dwarf. Ye and all yer other fighting friends here. Ya see, the reason those in charge started bringing ye all here fer free in the first place was ta protect the townsfolk. Dinna nobody tell ya that back at the docks when ye signed on?"

Another blond haired, blue eyed, short female half-elf steps up into the conversation once the talk switches over to starting up a new party. Her firm demeanor is etched across her pretty face and the symbol of Ehlenestra is prominently displayed across her gear. It is pretty obvious by the look of her that she is also an adventurer, looking for......well......adventure.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Feanol

"Fine Master Dwarf, and so it shall be." Feanol concludes with the Dwarf. Before she can speak to Brandy the Captain has his say.

On his leaving she sees the new Half Elf approaching. "Welcome I'm Feanol, and this is Drakkar", indicating the Dwarf. "Keyon is at the bow, and this", indicating the other half elf, "is Brandy. I see by your symbol that you are of Holy Orders. I believe we are in the midst of concluding a pact of mutual support for when we reach the island. Please introduce yourself?"

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Paladin »

Keyon

Keyon hops into a seated position on the rail and returns Quark's stern gaze with a slow, infectious smile. "Oh Captain, my captain! I shall endeavor to remain aboard and bask in the glow of your gleaming rails until Beachtown lures me away." He inclines his head in a low bow, pausing at the bottom to flick a glance at the short half-elven woman. "Milady," he says before reclining into the ropes that run from the bow to the mast.

"I have some small skill to contribute, humble as it may be, if gold and glory is our aim." His eyes shift from one to another. "I'm light on my feet and silent. I can fight tolerably well when the need arises," he admits and gestures to the gleaming hilt of a slender blade at his hip, "though I'm no warrior and would prefer to leave such things to professionals like our friend here." He nods toward the wicked-looking axe on Drakkar's back.

His normally smiling face turns suddenly serious as he gauges each of the adventurers standing nearby. "If you are my friends, then I am yours. Watch my back and I'll fill our purses with gold." As the rising sun burns away heavy fog, Keyon's serious demeanor bleeds away and his trademark lop-sided grin rises to replace it.
Last edited by Paladin on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Completed Missions”