IC. Broken Valley Chapter 1: It's all there for the taking

The_Wanderer
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: IC. Broken Valley Chapter 1: It's all there for the taki

#401 Post by The_Wanderer »

The party gathers the treasure... ...and with a last goodbye to Quellax, makes their way back to the main road. After an uneventful night in the wilderness, you make your way back into Bitterpan by late morning.

Day 23, Bitterpan
As you walk into town, Dying Rabbit stops suddenly, realizing where you are headed. He firmly grabs Mirwydd's cloak and says, "I should not be here. What do you want me to do?"
Mirwydd - Let me know what you want to do with your best friend.
I'll continue below with a general re-introduction to Bitterpan that should hold up, regardless of what he chooses to do so you guys can make some plans.
Work crews cover the northern edge of town, cutting down trees at the forest edge and pulling up stumps. Lumber is stacked neatly in one field while the field nearest the docks remains covered in the tents of the workers. The town continues to have a remarkable energy to it as the Duke's efforts continue to tame the frontier town.

sirravd

#402 Post by sirravd »

Mirwydd has developed a good deal of affection for the hideous creature. He says to his friend: "I'll hide you in my home. Just wait outside the village; at night I'll come back and get you."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#403 Post by thirdkingdom »

sirravd wrote:Mirwydd has developed a good deal of affection for the hideous creature. He says to his friend: "I'll hide you in my home. Just wait outside the village; at night I'll come back and get you."
Hahahaha! Hijinks ensue.

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#404 Post by MonsterMash »

Magrin, Cleric

"Maybe one day we'll come back and not recognise the place as it is growing so fast. I think this time we can enjoy our rewards from adventuring and spend some of the coin."

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by ybn1197 »

MonsterMash wrote:Magrin, Cleric

"Maybe one day we'll come back and not recognise the place as it is growing so fast. I think this time we can enjoy our rewards from adventuring and spend some of the coin."
Nymandus nods enthusiastically. "Now that is something I can get behind. First round is on me, lads."

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#406 Post by The_Wanderer »

In Bitterpan

You make your way down Main Street, more or less ignored through all the bustle, eventually making your way to the recognizable entrance of the Squirrel and Dragon. Coin is spread and drinks are paid for. You overhear the following rumors during your time of carrousing:
-Apparently some kid went down and talked to the nixies down by the mouth of the river. It seems they are being hunted by some kind of monster but they can't leave the mouth of the river for some strange fey reason.
-There is some rumbling about Rama and her Church of Law. Some say she brings peace, some say she's a zealot.
-Harpies have been harassing the village of Springfield, luring men into the forest.

As afternoon turns to evening, Mirwydd ducks out of the inn and heads back out of town. He arrives at the rendezvous location and Dying Rabbit steps out of the trees. Dried blood coats part of his face around his mouth. "Hello Mirwydd. Are we going to burn the human town?"
Let me know if anybody else is with Mirwydd...
Mirwydd - How do you want to do this? :D

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#407 Post by tibbius »

Egbald kind of took a liking to the bugbear. He tags along with Mirwydd. He's been trying to learn the bugbear's language by listening to Mirwydd translate. Now he looks curiously at Mirwydd: he thinks he heard the bugbear word for "human."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#409 Post by tibbius »

Sometime before wandering out of town with Mirwydd, Egbald steps aside with Magrin - "We should tread carefully around Rama, but we need to figure out what she's doing. Zealotry can go bad and get Chaotic quickly."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

sirravd

#410 Post by sirravd »

Mirwydd thinks. "Not necessary to burn the town, at least not yet. Just follow me back in. If anyone sees us our story is that you're a human and you've been cursed."

MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#411 Post by MonsterMash »

Magrin, Cleric
tibbius wrote:Sometime before wandering out of town with Mirwydd, Egbald steps aside with Magrin - "We should tread carefully around Rama, but we need to figure out what she's doing. Zealotry can go bad and get Chaotic quickly."
"Though we need the word of Law to spread it cannot be done too harshly as that is a path to chaos as you say."

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#412 Post by The_Wanderer »

sirravd wrote:Mirwydd thinks. "Not necessary to burn the town, at least not yet. Just follow me back in. If anyone sees us our story is that you're a human and you've been cursed."
It's hard to read the bugbear but you swear he looks disappointed. Mirwydd and Egbald lead Dying Rabbit toward the light of town, and despite his size, you are reminded at how quietly the bugbear can move.
Drawing some conclusions from how you've set this up, I'm guessing you'll try your best to avoid prying eyes. I'll give Dying Rabbit a 3 / 6 chance to avoid being spotted.
[1d6] = 1 = success
Fortunately, while several of the laborers are still awake and enjoying a drink at their tent, none come to greet the three humanoids coming into the village. It is lucky for you that the town wall has not yet been completed. By the time you arrive at the main street of town, it is empty of foot traffic. In short order you find yourself in front of The Squirrel and Dragon. You hear a few voices inside the common room indicating that not all have turned in for the night. Still though, it is somewhat muted from when you left so it is likely that there are no more than a handful of people present plus the innkeeper and any staff. Your room is on the main floor toward the back of the building. There is a window but it is much too small for the nearly 8 foot tall bugbear to squeeze through.

sirravd

#413 Post by sirravd »

Mirwydd thinks for a second. "Perhaps we should create a distraction, get everyone to run outside, then sneak Dying Rabbit into the room while they're out?"

sirravd

#415 Post by sirravd »

If Egbald is all right with it, perhaps have him disguise himself slightly and pretend to be a preacher of some apocalyptic cult of Law, screaming at everyone inside to come see a marvellous portent? Or have me do it?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#416 Post by tibbius »

"That's a great idea. I won't be recognizable at all ... unless Mirwydd can use some kind of spell or someone else has some kind of special ability to change people's appearance. Or if someone has a big poofy wig. That would definitely make me look different!"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#417 Post by The_Wanderer »

I don't see an obvious way to get you in disguise, Egbald. Mirwydd does have sleep and charm person which could theoretically come in handy...Otherwise, you can role play calling everybody out however you want and I'll react to it.

sirravd

#418 Post by sirravd »

"Perhaps I could sleep everyone inside the inn? Are there few enough of them?"

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#419 Post by The_Wanderer »

Mirwydd peeks his head in the front door of the inn and sees... ...a group of four laborers sitting at one of the tables along with the barkeep behind the bar wiping it down. With a look up and down the street to make sure the coast is clear, the door is held open and Mirwydd throws a sleep spell into the room. Mirwydd and Egbald hear the sound of a body falling to the floor and Dying Rabbit rubs his hands together, enjoying the chaos. When the three enter the room, they see the four laborers at the table slumped over the table in their seats with one of the mugs of ale knocked to the floor. The barkeep is out of sight but is almost certainly behind the bar, either cowering in fear over an attack or fast asleep.
"So now we cut their throats," Dying Rabbit says. It is not a question and he has unsheathed a small blade as he moves into the room.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#420 Post by tibbius »

"No." says Egbald firmly. "Mirwydd, we do not cut their throats. Tell Dying Rabbit we need to rest safely then we can go out and find treasure and kill things away from town."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Broken Valley (S&W Complete Hexcrawl)”