The_Wanderer
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Character Creation

#1 Post by The_Wanderer »

Character Creation

Character Sheet
We will use the following format for character sheets. Please copy/paste and edit as you see fit:
Here's the character sheet we're going to use:

To use the formatting, quote this post and copy the formatted text, then paste it to your own character sheet.

== Name ==
Gender Race/Class/Level
XP 0/0

== Attributes ==
STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA

== Background/Languages/Skills/Abilities ==

===Background===

No more than 100 words, please.

===Languages===

Feel free to leave language slots open and add them during play. For example, we meet some kobolds, you want to talk with them and have a language slot open, you just say that you can speak kobold.

===Skills===

== Combat ==

AC AC is ascending, added to 10.
HP x/x
Movement Rate
Attacks

*Primary Melee Attack:
*Secondary Melee Attack:
*Primary Ranged Attack:

Saves:

== Equipment ==
*Carried Wealth:
*Equipment
**Quick Items:
**Backpack Items:
We will use the Unseen Servant Dice Roller for rolling.
Campaign ID: 794

Ability Scores
-Roll 3d6 in order down the line
-You can re-roll if you get 2 scores 7 or below
-You can swap 2 scores to customize a bit
-You can also sacrifice 2 ability points from one ability to raise one prime requisite ability 1 point. This may be done more than once, but no ability can be lowered below 9

Starting XP
-New characters start at 4,000 XP

Starting Equipment
-You start with 1,000 gp cash
-A player with 4,000 XP starts with 3 magic items. One of which you may choose the type of (a sword, a potion, a scroll, etc.) and I will choose the specifics (+1, of smiting, etc.). The other 2 will be randomly determined.
-You can choose the remainder of your carried equipment from the chart in the rulebook (S&W Complete p. 29)
-The amount of carried equipment is determined by your encumbrance. (See houserules post on encumbrance)
-We will use ascending armor class

Starting Languages
-If you receive bonus languages, feel free to leave them undefined at character creation. When you come to a situation where a language is needed, you can just claim that language and add it to your sheet.
-This can be done up to your maximum number of bonus languages as defined in the rules.

Further Customization
-I kind of love using Castle Oldskull's Dungeon Delver Enhancer to give characters additional flavor and a small boost to to some combat abilities. I won't be using every option the supplement gives but if you are interested, I'll give you three different class appropriate 'kits' for you to choose from.
-You may choose to use as much or as little of the kit as you want.
-This step is entirely optional.

Character Limitations
-I won't stress on alignment BUT...don't pick a chaotic alignment
-There will be no alignment languages. I've always found them kind of strange to imagine.
-If you are a cleric or paladin, you will be a holy warrior of the Church of Law (i.e. no chaotic or neutral clerics or paladins)
Last edited by The_Wanderer on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#2 Post by ybn1197 »

Say hello to Captain Average! Not sure what I am going to do with these rolls yet.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (203.34 KiB) Viewed 4799 times

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by The_Wanderer »

To give you a feel for the Dungeon Delver Enhancer that I mentioned in the character creation rules, I saw you turned this character into a Human Male Fighter named Nymandus Lehmann.

Kit 1
Epithet: ...the Hideous
Theme: Shield Bearer - This protective fighter is all about the heavy armor. If he has to choose between chain mail and a two-handed sword, or plate mail and a rusty knife and shield, he’ll take the knife every time. He occasionally acts as a bodyguard (above), but his sense of self-preservation is much higher. He loves one-handed weapons, shield slams, great helms and fighting in close formation.
Fighting Style: Axeman's Gear - Battle Axe, Throwing Axe and Shield; +1 damage with both weapons, +1 AC with a shield
Secondary Skill: Woodworker

Kit 2
Epithet: ...the Jumentous
Theme: Tunnel Soldier - This fighter only wants to fight. Preferably underground. He doesn’t want to think, make decisions, parley or talk about the weather. He doesn’t care if you like how he smells. And if you want him to carry something, he’s going to carry his own ass into battle as long as you’re giving the orders and fighting alongside him. Play him as mute, deaf, and obsessed with caves, dirt, and tunnel crawling for extra points.
Fighting Style: Sword and Board - Longsword and Shield; +1 to hit and damage with a longsword, +1 AC with a shield
Secondary Skill: Mason

Kit 3
Epithet: ...the Repellent
Theme: Imperial Warrior - This guy is very well-funded by his legion or by his family. In most games, that means a long bow and a two-handed sword. He dislikes shields, but doesn’t mind heavy plate armor. His maxim is “Hold my ale, I’m going in swinging for maximum damage, you guys heal and cover me.” It doesn’t always go so well.
Fighting Style: Imperial Regalia - Two-handed sword and Longbow; +1 to hit with both weapons
Secondary Skill: Farmer

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by sulldawga »

I got a 4 and a 7. Is that close enough to two scores of 6 or below to re-roll?

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by The_Wanderer »

sulldawga wrote:I got a 4 and a 7. Is that close enough to two scores of 6 or below to re-roll?
Brutal. Sure, why not.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by sulldawga »

MUCH better rolls... except I still managed to get a 4.

13 STR
13 INT
16 WIS
15 DEX
04 CON
11 CHR

I am going to swap the WIS and CON. I am going to drop INT from 13 to 9 and raise DEX from 15 to 17. I am going with Thief.

EDIT: I'll take a Ring as one of my Magic Items. I was going to say Bow but thought I'd mix it up a bit.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by The_Wanderer »

Kit 1:
Epithet: the Dextrous
Theme: Gypsy Rogue. This dashing, mysterious, and likely very handsome / beautiful thief is one of the Roma. He is a superstitious fortune teller, horse tamer, scavenger and forest stalker. He’s extremely intelligent and only steals or kills when down on his luck. Otherwise, he’s dancing, riding, gambling or playing a harp.
Fighting Style: Silver Tongue. Longsword and Darts; Each gain +1 to damage
Secondary Skill: Hunter
Rogue Talent: Unbeliever’s Luck. The thief gains a passive +1 bonus to saving throws vs. all magical effects.
Additional Talents can be added at levels 5, 9,...etc.

Kit 2:
Epithet: the Feline
Theme: Cat Burglar / Acrobat. This is an expert urban thief. He only wants the richest and most dangerous targets, and specializes in planning impossible heists. Skills include grapnel throwing, tightrope walking, lock picking, wall climbing, leaping and balancing. When things get too hot in the city, he becomes an expert treasure hunter in the dungeons.
Fighting Style: Shadow Strike. Sling and Throwing Daggers; Each gain +1 to damage
Secondary Skill: Freighter / Pack Handler
Rogue Talent: Cover Tracks. Equivalent to casting Pass Without Trace, 1/day

Kit 3:
Epithet: the Lucky
Beggar Thief. This thief loves disguises. He pretends to be blind, diseased, crippled, or all three. He’s mostly making marks, eyeing nobles, listening to gossip, selling information and learning how to sneak into a wizard’s tower. When the city watch gets wise, he hops to another quarter or another city entirely. His friends are “interesting” and many.
Fighting Style: Bare Necessities; Bare Necessities. Club and Dagger; Each gain +1 to damage
Secondary Skill: Forester / Herbalist
Rogue Talent: Detect Lies. Equivalent to the Detect Lie spell. This ability can be attempted once a day.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sulldawga »

Where can I learn more about the secondary skills?

I'll take Kit 1, although I'm going to skip using the gypsy rogue theme.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by The_Wanderer »

sulldawga wrote:Where can I learn more about the secondary skills?

I'll take Kit 1, although I'm going to skip using the gypsy rogue theme.
Good Question. It can be used with ability/skill checks to give advantage if you can make the argument that it has some bearing on what you are trying to do. I'll add that houserule when I get a chance since I don't see anything in S&W Complete on it.

By the way, your magic items are:

Ring of Inapheth's Protection (i.e. Ring of Protection +1; +1 to saves and AC; has the mark of Inapheth on it)
Potion of Healing (Heal 1d8+1)
Potion of Slipperiness (Except for the soles of the feet and the palms of the hands, the character suddenly has a virtually frictionless surface.)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by sulldawga »

tk, if you wanted to do a Thief, I could do Cleric instead. High WIS and all that...

I came into this game thinking I didn't care what my PC was, as long as he wasn't a mage, so I'm fine switching.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:tk, if you wanted to do a Thief, I could do Cleric instead. High WIS and all that...

I came into this game thinking I didn't care what my PC was, as long as he wasn't a mage, so I'm fine switching.
I'm good with fighter, I think.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by The_Wanderer »

thirdkingdom wrote:I'm good with fighter, I think.
Perfect. I'll go ahead and generate the rest of your stuff then in a bit.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by The_Wanderer »

thirdkingdom:

Kit 1:
Epithet: ...the Idiot
Theme: Armsman / Armswoman. This fighter is equally comfortable with melee and ranged combat, but in hand-to-hand combat reveals a strong preference for pole arms, shield walls, and formation fighting.
Fighting Style: Lord’s Armsman; Pole Arm and Short Bow (+1 damage to each)
Secondary Skill: Fisherman

Kit 2:
Epithet: ...the Moron
Theme: Fencer. This agile fighter prefers a light, fast blade and a trusty shield. Instead of a long sword, he might favor a rapier, saber, or even a cutlass. If he’s not a pirate, he’s probably a swashbuckler, gentleman adventurer, and / or sailing captain.
Fighting Style: Sword and Board; Long Sword and Shield (+1 to hit and to damage w/ Longsword; +1 to AC with shield)
Secondary Skill: Jeweler

Kit 3:
Epithet: ...the Pea-brained
Theme: Sentry. This fighter is very similar to a guardsman, but he was more of a personal guard for a wealthy NPC. He is used to standing vigil alone for long periods of time. He doesn’t work well with conflicting orders, but excels in dealing with darkness, stealth, laying ambushes or attacking from cover. He is likely to have the same alertness ability of a guardsman as well.
Fighting Style: Captain’s Pride; Two-Handed Sword (+1 to hit and damage w/ 2 hander)
Secondary Skill: Sailor

Magic Items:
-Eleanor <whatever kind of weapon you want>+1: This weapon is supremely balanced and bears the the ornate engraving 'Eleanor' at the base of the blade. Along the hilt you see the fittings for three small pearls, one of which is currently missing.
-Potion of Green Dragon Control: The drinker gains the ability to control dragons of a certain type after partaking of this type of potion. 1d3 dragons of a specific type (determined randomly by the Referee) can be affected as per Charm Monster.
-Rope of Entanglement: This rope, on command, twines itself around as many as 2d4+1 human-sized foes. The rope cannot be hit except with a natural roll of 20 (it is magical), and can sustain 20 hit points of damage before fraying and becoming useless.

Yeah...those epithets look more like something others call your character but not what you call yourself. :) Feel free not to adopt that part of the kit.
Last edited by The_Wanderer on Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by sulldawga »

Geez, I wouldn't want to be Feargus once tk sees all of those epithets you chose for him!

:twisted:

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by The_Wanderer »

Lol. It wasn’t me choosing! They were randomly chosen based on a Low INT character with no particular high stat. Oh boy. Here we go :)

sirravd

#17 Post by sirravd »

Stats: STR:15, INT:15, WIS:13, DEX:16, CON:5, CHR:12

I'll do M-U. 2 points off Str and 4 points off Wis to raise my Int to 18.

Clarification––is the 1000gp cash used to buy stuff in the rulebook, or do you choose stuff in the rulebook in addition to the 1000gp cash?

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by The_Wanderer »

1000gp in addition to whatever equipment you want to carry

sirravd

#19 Post by sirravd »

Added my equipment to the character sheet. Since 1000gp is 100lb., is it stored on the PC's person?
Also, do you allow Dex bonuses to AC against rear attacks?

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by The_Wanderer »

Good question! Basically the assumption is that your carried gold is in the form of precious stones...or whatever you want it to be and it has essentially 0 weight. Check out the houserules on Encumbrance and Carrying Wealth (as opposed to Securing Wealth) for more info.

The reason I'm making this rather arbitrary split (between Carrying and Securing) is a combination of features of this kind of game:
1) A big part of the game is toting wealth out of "the dungeon" or maybe in this case it's "the wilderness". I'd like to encourage this being a logistical challenge. If you come upon 10,000 gp but only have 2 characters left after killing the dragon, it leads to potentially interesting challenges.
2) After you bring the wealth home, I don't want you guys to worry about what happens to all of the coin when you're on the road for 2 months. Nor do you need to necessarily worry about accessing your cash on the road. Nor do we need to get into needing an army of hirelings to carry your bags of gold. Now, carrying a king's ransom in diamonds everywhere you go may cause issues if you are robbed...but we'll deal with that if it comes up. :twisted:

Return to “Broken Valley (S&W Complete Hexcrawl)”