OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Quest #25 “The Final Demise Of Captain Stewart Bing”

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stew Bings Last Stand
Freeday, 19th of Goodmonth
Very Early Morning, Dark, Warm, Buggy

Once the group is assembled in the early morning hours to start their long trip to the river, Darklin begins to realize why nobody goes out anywhere at night around here. The insects that swarm this area after dark are far more unbearable than they are during the daylight. It is nearly impossible to even breath without sucking bugs into ones mouth. The group wraps thin cloth around their faces to defend against the onslaught, but it only helps a little.

Grimm the Ironhelm Dwarf finds the group eventually, as does a badly sunburned human named Keg. They are gladly accepted into the group while Darklin lays out the groups plan of attack, telling the others that he and Dexter will attempt to sneak around to the opposite side of the camp while the former pirates rouse their comrades.

Dexter dirties his face and sword to prevent any light reflection as he sneaks through the bush. Fully equipped and in good health, the group is about to set out, deciding on any final preparations before making their way to the river.

Any final Actions before leaving town?

If anyone else wants to go along on this one, please speak up soon. I have made these poor players wait around long enough for some excitement. :mrgreen:

Darklin 8/8 DM,CL,RM 1/1 first
Cealwyn 14/14
Grimm 8/8
Dexter 8/8
Daisy 9/9 3/3 first
Sophie 6/6
Keg 13/13

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Quest #25 “The Final Demise Of Captain Stewart Bing”

#2 Post by Urson »

Daisy

Daisy scratches Sophie behind the ears, getting a happy little chitter in return.
Sophie- scout.
Daisy will find a spot near the middle of the crew, and will keep her mace ready as they travel. Sophie will trot up to the point person/scout, and keep pace with them, ranging back and forth across the route. IF she encounters a potential threat, she'll attack once, then head for the group, snarling and chattering loudly.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin leads the group out of town (using his infra-vision) beside Dexter.

I am thinking we should take out the first guard tower occupants right away and then head around to the far side. With Grimm, Keg, Daisy, and Ceawyn we have a pretty good force. Send the trio in to wake their friends and you and I can hit the command tent with my spell and finish off the leaders. Hopefully we can tie them up and get them under control before the sleep spell wears off. We can then find those loyal to Bing and tie them up too. Should be a smooth as long as all goes by the plan. You and I will strike just before daylight and get them secure and hopefully by the time we are done the others will have light to see.

I have spoken with Nallissa at the Hi-Lo and she will give us good rates on any equipment and gear we find. I think we should take any rafts or boats they have too. That way we can load any gear and provisions in the boats and take it back easier.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

"Or," says the Halfling. "We could just leave their carcasses hanging from the trees out along the beach where they made their landings, as a warning to other pirates."
"There is no spoon."

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin puts his finger to his lips. Looking back at the trio.

Ssssshhhh, Don't talk to loud you will scare them. What goes on in the command tent stays in the command tent. If the spell doesn't take we kill them. Wink, Wink.
Last edited by Darklin2 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Paladin »

Cealwyn Blackthorn

Happily yielding the forward position to those with infravision, the ranger drops to the middle of the group near Daisy. "Morning, pretty lady," he says quietly, his cloth mask hiding a smile.

He nods to Grimm and then Keg, extending a hand to each in turn. "Ceawlyn Blackthorn. It's good to have you along."

Looking to Stephan, Alvin, and Paul, he matches pace with them and lowers his voice for their ears only. "Morning, boys. I reckon it can't be an easy thing turning on your old mates, even when they weren't treating you right. But you're doing a good thing for the folk in Beachtown." He claps Stephan on the shoulder.

He drops behind them, eyes sweeping left and right, up and down, to the rear and back ahead, roving restlessly.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Bluehorse »

Liam

Makes a surprise appearance after going to the Hi-Lo to purchase a pair of waterskins from Nelissa. Tell me what to deduct and I will He looked different. He was wearing old and well broken in studded leather complete with a weatherworn crest emblazoned on the left breast and a few other military stylings. He was carrying his crossbow and his quiver was crammed with bolts. Strapped to his arm was a buckler and on his hip was an ornate rapier obviously well made and having the look of a nobleman's heirloom. Still, he was wearing the wide brim floppy hat. Well, here I am.

Keg

Another man showed up almost immediately after. He was a stark contrast to Liam. Whereas Liam was thin and sinewy, this man was tall and burly as a bear. He was Rough looking and encased in mail and carried a heavy helmet and shield. He had a bow and a heavy-looking longsword of Northern make. His head was shorn close on the sides but grew long in a braid from the top of his head and long whiskers about his mouth in a thick beard that would make a Dwarf nod in approval. His eyes were hard and what flesh showed was scared from past fights and currently recovering from prolonged exposure to the sun. He looked down at the others and grunted. So, we're killing pirates today? How much a head?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Urson »

Daisy
Daisy glances up at Cealwyn, and her fierce demeanor breaks for a second. She grins, winks, and says Hi, darlin'. A good day for hero's work. Then she's all business again.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin moves back down the line checking with everyone making sure they are ready for a fight and have everything they need.
Makes it back to Daisy.

Are you ready to crack some skulls? Keep us in the fight. We need you healing those that go down.

continues on down the line to Alvin and the trio.

Are you three ready to save your friends? Try to keep it as quiet as possible when you get there. Don't let anyone cry out. Other wise it could turn into a blood bath. We don't know who is not dedicated to their cause. Everyone there will end up dead if that happens. Quick and Quiet. Get in and warn those needing it and get out.

Moves on down the line. Grimm and Keg

I see we have a could new recruits. Good to have you fellows with us. Hopefully someone has filled you in on the plan. Those three ahead of us are going in first and warning their friends who want out. Everyone else is either captured or killed. Any provisions found go to the town, any treasure found gets split evenly between everyone. All gear and weapons found will be sold to the Hi-Lo and coin split. Should be quick as long as everything goes as planned. We will take everything and load the rafts and canoes and head back. Let me know if there are any concerns.

Moves on back to Ceawyn.

I am going to have you take charge of the group on this side of the clearing. After Dexter and I launch that first flame arrow. Target anyone who comes out armed. Hopefully there will be enough light to see by. If not I will keep firing flame arrows until one of the huts gets burning good enough you can see.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm a dwarf with a bushy unkempt black beard, wearing a leather armour and boots, greets everyone, shaking their hands one by one and saying "Grimm. At your service." When he comes to Daisy his face brightens: "Daisy! So glad to see you're safe and sound!" He embraces he strongly and then pets her badger.

He'll go to his position in the line, as Darklin proposed.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Stew Bings Last Stand
Freeday, 19th of Goodmonth
Very Early Morning, Dark, Warm, Buggy

Darklin is glad to see a few newcomers join the group right before they set out. Liam is there, a tall, lanky human who looks a bit nervous, but still seems like he could hold his own if necessary. He carries a hand ax and an ancient looking loaded crossbow. Grimm and Keg are also there, ready to smash some heads if it comes to it. They both seem a little rough around the edges, which might be just what this group needs if they are to be successful in their endeavor.

The group lines up and takes their instruction from the party leader, Darklin. He suggests that him and Dexter will sweep around the main camp while the young pirates enter the huts to rouse their friends and to get them away from the battle. Or, better yet, get them to join forces against their strong handed leader.

With no argument from the soldiers, the party departs Beachtown in the dead of night, headed east up the beach towards the river. Along the way they have to shoo away thousands of insects that constantly fly into their faces and try to get into any gaps in their clothing or armor. Walking in a cloud of bugs becomes more intolerable with each step, but the group perseveres through the less than favorable conditions.

The jungle comes alive at night, and not just because of the insects. There are howls and growls coming from every direction shortly after they leave the comfort of town. Although the jungle is a cacophony of noise after dark, these disturbing noises persist the entire trip up the sandy trail. The non humans see all sorts of life through their heat sensing vision, most of it in the form of small birds and animals. They help the others along as they walk, making sure they dont run into anything dangerous.

After about 4 hours of marching, the group finally reaches the mouth of the river where all manner of life can be seen. From a distance, several forms, big and small, line the riverbank near the beach. Lots of jungle animals appear to use the waterway as a drinking source once the darkness sets in. Attempting to count the gathered animals proves fruitless as they move around a lot, but if a guess was made, there are probably around a dozen man sized creatures on four legs and another twenty or so smaller critters all drinking peacefully from the river water.

Actions?

This is the marching order I will be using. Please let me know if you want to be moved into a different position in these ranks. Thanks!
Darklin F/M 8/8 DM,CL,RM 1/1 first
Cealwyn R 14/14
Grimm F/T 8/8
Liam Civ/F 6/6
Dexter T 8/8
Daisy C 9/9 3/3 first
Sophie (war badger) 6/6
Keg F 13/13

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Bluehorse »

Liam

Fanning occasionally from the bugs.    Never would have thought I would want my Beesuit in an upcoming battle, but I am starting to think it would not have been a bad idea... he whispers to Grim.  On hearing about all the wildlife he cannot see in the dark:  Well now, That might be the answer to part of our food problem...  Maybe a few trips a week here for hunting wouldn't be such a bad idea.  What can you see? he takes a moment to fill his waterskins.

Keg

Grumbles a bit about the bugs, but keeps it mostly to himself.  They didn't have many bugs to speak of where he is from to the distant north, but he never expected to have to deal with them like this.  He puts on his helmet when they get to the river and makes it a point to fill his waterskin before they head on, encouraging the others to do the same.  Who knows WHAT COULD GO WRONG????!!!!

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Paladin »

Cealwyn Blackthorn

When he isn't scanning the jungle for potential threats, the ranger glances from one face to another down the line, looking for signs of fatigue or nerves. He pays special attention to their newest companions.

The animals near the water are of special interest. He opens his eyes wide to take advantage of any natural light in an attempt to discern the nature of the larger beasts. Either way, he files the location away for future hunts. Fresh meat will be of great use in Beachtown.

He pitches his voice low, barely above a whisper. "Our new companions mentioned that the pirate camp was a native village before they took it over. I don't know if the natives will look kindly upon us burning their homes. We might garner more friendly relations with them if we can clear the camp with as little destruction as possible and return their village to them. Though how we accomplish that is anyone's guess." He shrugs slightly in the darkness. "Food for thought, if nothing else."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Bluehorse »

Liam
Cealwyn wrote: "Our new companions mentioned that the pirate camp was a native village before they took it over. I don't know if the natives will look kindly upon us burning their homes. We might garner more friendly relations with them if we can clear the camp with as little destruction as possible and return their village to them. Though how we accomplish that is anyone's guess." He shrugs slightly in the darkness. "Food for thought, if nothing else."
Nods. I agree. No good can come from destroying the homes that belong to the natives. We have no right.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin with his night vision tells every one in a whisper;

Stop and drop get down.

He stops and drops to one knee. Bow at the ready.

We have several quadrupeds drinking from the river. This would be a great place for taking care of the towns food troubles. What is everyone's thoughts? Do we want to take out a few for town now or wait? There are several of us with bows we could take down 4 or 5 and feed the entire town, plus have some leather for clothes and shoes.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Urson »

Daisy
Daisy has been quiet, only speaking up when warning someone of a bump or hole along the path. She takes a knee when they stop, watching the jungle.
Ah can see you wantin' to take advantage of good luck- but Ah think we need to keep on an' not be distracted. We can't take the corpses with us, an' if we leave 'em here the meat-eaters will be all over 'em. It'll look like my cousins come Feast Day.

OM: keep Sophie near the front of the group. She'll be scouting with the point person, and will growl if she spots something.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm readies his crossbow in case something else jumps out of the jungle, when it comes to the animals drinking over in the woods: "I don't think it's now the moment for hunting. Besides, we may cause a stir and every chance of surprise will be gone."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Paladin »

Cealwyn Blackthorn

"A good spot to remember for later," the ranger mutters. "At the moment, we've a band of pirates to find and a plan to finish sorting out."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Bluehorse »

Liam

Look... we scouted a good spot for hunting. Later. For now, we have a singular task. Let's do what we came here for and we can come back, hopefully, tomorrow, and bring back a feast. Okay?

Keg

What the hell is going on up there? he hisses.

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

"No one appreciates a good meal more than I do." Dexter whispers. "But we are here for exactly one job..... and it isn't hunting animals."
"There is no spoon."

Return to “Completed Missions”