Quest #25 “The Final Demise Of Captain Stewart Bing”

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Quest #25 “The Final Demise Of Captain Stewart Bing”

#541 Post by Paladin »

Cealwyn Blackthorn

"Keep your wits about you, mate," Cealwyn tells Paul in a low voice. He approaches the area where the others are poking through the sand and scans the immediate vicinity for signs of any disturbance or attempts at hiding a trail with a practiced eye, every hunter's instinct stretched taut as piano-wire to process the appearance and disposition of every leaf and stem, each grain of sand.

Drawing his sword, he lops off a long, slim and flexible branch (Yes. It is, in fact, a ten-foot pole. :lol: ) and begins easing it into the sand to help look for any lurking hungry beasts.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#542 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Darklin having seen several of his companions start stabbing sticks in the sand draws his bow and watches the ocean and the jungle, switching back and forth looking for anything out of the ordinary.

So what is going on, there is no mother sea cow to deal with as before.
All things are possible through Magic.
Darklin Sylvanas- Fighter/Magic-User - Big Shiny Island (1E)
Sai Eranthor - Cleric / Fighter/Mage - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2E)

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#543 Post by Karaunios »

Just in case that thing appears from the rear, Grimm will do the same with his long sword but behind them.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#544 Post by Urson »

Daisy
Daisy watches, a look of concern on her face.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#545 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To Town
Starday, 20th of Goodmonth
Late Afternoon, Sunny, Hot, Humid, Buggy

When their poking and prodding produces nothing but deep soft sand, the group soon realizes that the sea beast is no longer present in its old hiding spot under the beach.

Jombo moves closer to the water and pokes around there as well, ready to sprint away if he finds anything. A single tear runs down the young man’s face when he looks out over the water, remembering his friend and fellow militia man Greff and the horrible death he experienced here in this very spot.

Cealwyn and his new apprentice don’t see any tracks or prints in the area of the disturbed sand, but the seasoned ranger can’t shake the feeling of being watched out here.

Actions?
If anyone wants to take a stab at dividing this up a little more evenly, please do. Otherwise I will step in.
(* = Magical)

Cealwyn/Paul
200sp
25gp gem
*One plain golden ring (?)

Darklin
1 fine pearl 100gp
Set of 8 fancy colored pencils 20gp
20 sheets parchment paper 5gp
5 sheets high quality parchment 5gp
6 vellum sheets 20gp
* Hand Ax

16 broken bolts
2 broken arrows
1 longbow (broken string)
A large wooden trunk

Dexter
Ornate locking chest w/ key 25gp

Daisy
*One small polished yellow stone (?)

Grimm
Assorted small gemstones 350gp

Keg

Liam

800sp
One gold tooth 5gp

These items will obviously have some minor value, but only to the right buyer:
14 suits of heavily worn leather armor
2 suits of heavily worn studded leather armor
7 longswords/leather sheath
2 shortswords/leather sheath
8 daggers/leather sheath
5 hand axes
12 badly worn crossbows
178 bolts
21 arrows
9 clubs
7 saps
2 spears

21 hammocks
6 badly soiled folding cots
10 days of iron rations
Assorted cooking utensils
6 wooden foot lockers w/ latches
Heaps of heavily soiled clothing
Darklin F/M 3/8 DM,CL,RM 1/1 first
Grimm F/T 5/8
Daisy C 9/9 0/3 first
Sophie (war badger) 6/6
Cealwyn R 5/14
Keg F 0/13 (Semi-conscious)
Dexter T 4/8
Liam Civ/F 3/6

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#546 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

Dexter gets Jombo away from the water's edge. "C'mon, let's not tempt fate. He was a good guy.... a brave man. I'll buy the drinks to him when we get back, but let's not lose anyone else, OK?" He gets Jombo back to his place in line and then gets himself back to the front of the line, and starts moving out again.
"There is no spoon."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#547 Post by Paladin »

Cealwyn Blackthorn

"I don't like this place," Ceawlyn says under his breath. "Too many eyes." He shakes off the eerie sensation and keeps his own eyes peeled as they travel, resuming his place at the rear of the party. He discards his pole in favor of his bow, gripping an arrow in the same hand ready to nock and fire. "If the water-bearers must pass this way to perform their work, then I fear we'll have to return before long and deal with that thing."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#548 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm looks to Jombo with concern. "Yes... It's better if we leave this place as fast as we can..."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#549 Post by Bluehorse »

Liam

Puts his weapon away when they find nothing. He sighs a bit and nods. I agree with Mr. Blackthorn, here. We need to figure out how to go fishing for this thing soon. I'm not sure how to go about doing that, maybe some kind of rigged up block and tackle to drag it ashore and let the sun do the work? But what about all those tentacles? I think we might need to ask the professional fishermen back in town what to do about this... I had really hoped we would be able to move the town, but with the natives seeming to want to maintain a claim we might have to look elsewhere. Maybe if we do we can just leave the beast for the Stoneguts as a going-away present. he muses halfheartedly, his main concern, of course, for the ladies that gather water every day or so from the river.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#550 Post by Urson »

Daisy

Daisy chuckles at the idea of leaving the beast for the Stoneguts, then steps up her pace to maintain her position in the caravan.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#551 Post by Darklin2 »

Darklin

Waits at the rear of the caravan keeping eyes on the trail heading back to the pirate village. Still wondering if the locals are safe to deal with or if they just got lucky. Making small talk for the trip just to find out what he can:

So Paul, where did you come from before the village? You stated before you had only been in the village for a short time. Where did you come from was it further up the river that we just followed or through the jungle? Would be nice to know what is further up the river. You haven't seen any stone structures anywhere up river have you? I am looking for an Ancient Library that is supposed to be on this island. It was found in an Ancient Tome by my guild masters in Greyhawk. I have been sent to try and find it and see what is left in the library. It is rumored that a powerful Magical Guild lived on this island and the library is where all their magical research was conducted and where all their powers came from. I intend to find it one day.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#552 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning To Town
Starday, 20th of Goodmonth
Early Evening, Warm, Humid, Very Buggy

Jombo returns to the caravan once he is certain that the area is clear of threats, allowing the train to resume its return to Beachtown. Marge comments on all the noises of animals and birds heard in the jungle as they pass, hoping that the wildlife is finally starting to return to the once overhunted area.

Paul’s eyes widen at the statements from Darklin. “We stayed in a much nicer camp at the end of that trail, a few more miles inland. There was a massive waterfall there and it was always loud and misty.” The young human hangs his head in shame. “Sadly, we forcefully took that place from the natives too.” He shakes his head at the thoughts of what his former group did to the indigenous jungle dwellers.

Other than a few loud shrieks that startle the younger girls, the remainder of the journey goes by uneventfully. Rewarded with an amazing view of the sun dipping below the water on the scenic horizon, the exhausted travelers finally make their way into the outskirts of Beachtown.

Actions?

As always, please continue posting any relevant dialogue and actions here in this thread.

You will hear about this Dwarven invasion that happened while you were away as soon as you enter town.
viewtopic.php?f=446&t=6347&start=980#p474139. We are still wrapping up the completion of that business in another thread, but that shouldn’t affect anything you’d like to do right away.

For the newer players, (and as a reminder to the others) we don’t really worry about “time” once you are back in town. If you are in town on the same day as another character, you can interact with them. Don’t worry if your character is talking to someone at the Hi-Lo in the morning and talking to the same character in the tavern at night. Since town is a “time free” zone, we can carry on multiple conversations/actions at once. I’ve found that this can be ridiculously confusing for some players, but it speeds downtime up considerably. If you ever have questions about where to post something, please just ask.

I will put together the XP reward for this mission as soon as the pesky business of treasure splitting is complete. Since nobody in the party stepped up to that task, I have outlined a division that seemed fair for everyone. You don’t need to follow a word of my suggestions. Please divide it any way you see fit. I am merely trying to expedite the process. I don’t particularly enjoy splitting rewards for the party, but someone has to do it.

If you see anything I missed or if something isn’t adding up, please let me know. I realize that some items haven’t been identified yet, but I needed to get thi ball rolling anyway.

If anyone wants to take a stab at dividing this up a little more evenly, please do. Otherwise I will step in. I stepped in.
Paul already has:
200sp
25gp gem

Darklin wants:
1 fine pearl 100gp
Set of 8 fancy colored pencils 20gp
20 sheets parchment paper 5gp
5 sheets high quality parchment 5gp
6 vellum sheets 20gp
16 broken bolts
2 broken arrows
1 longbow (broken string)
A large wooden trunk

800sp
Assorted small gemstones 350gp

Nallissa will take 2 of each item, offering 35gp total. The rest can be donated to the militia or split up amongst you. There is no interest from anyone else.

2/12suits of heavily worn leather armor
2 suits of heavily worn studded leather armor
2/5 longswords/leather sheath
2 shortswords/leather sheath
2/6 daggers/leather sheath
2/3 hand axes
2/10 badly worn crossbows
50/128 bolts
21 arrows
2/7 clubs
2/5 saps
2 spears

She offers to buy these supplies as well for the hard listed price.
21 hammocks 4gp
6 badly soiled folding cots 5gp
Assorted cooking utensils 10gp
6 wooden foot lockers w/ latches 6gp

My distribution example: (with names of members who showed interest)
Magic Ax and 10 gp
Magic Ring and 10 gp Cealwyn
Magic Stone and 10gp Daisy
Pearl and 50gp in writing materials Darklin
Gems 150gp
Gems 150gp
Gems 50gp Coin 70 + chest/tooth Dexter?

Feel free to roll off for any items listed if you want a chance at getting them. I know that none of you are proficient with the hand ax, but someone will need to claim it anyway. If you don’t think this is fair, please chime in.
Darklin F/M 3/8 DM,CL,RM 1/1 first
Grimm F/T 5/8
Daisy C 9/9 0/3 first
Sophie (war badger) 6/6
Cealwyn R 5/14
Keg F 0/13 (Semi-conscious)
Dexter T 4/8
Liam Civ/F 3/6

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#553 Post by SirOwen »

Dexter Broadleaf

EDITED:
Dexter is happy with the cut as described and would like to add:

1 Short Sword
1 Folding Cot
1 Footlocker
Last edited by SirOwen on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no spoon."

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#554 Post by Darklin2 »

OOC-

I am good with the division.

I am willing to give up the pearl for the Hand Ax if others want the pearl. Someone expressed interest in it before.

I will Magically Repair any of the weapons or armor that anyone wishes to keep for themselves. I can repair all bows, crossbows, and arrows. The Mend spell will fix everything else.

If we are not sure about the Constable being sane then maybe we should stash what weapons we want to save for the Town Militia in a footlocker and we can bury it under the floor of my tent until need arises. It will give me time to repair the crossbows and clean up and repair all the armor too.
Last edited by Darklin2 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#555 Post by OGRE MAGE »

All “proceeds” and all silver were already figured into the totals, unless you see something wrong with the math?

SirOwen
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#556 Post by SirOwen »

No sir. Thank you for the clarification! I'll go back and Edit Dexter's claim accordingly!

And a little later....... Sheet updated.
"There is no spoon."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#557 Post by Paladin »

I'm good. :)

Cealwyn Blackthorn

The ranger nods at Darklin's suggestion. "Aye. If he's become as power-mad as you folk say, he needs no more weapons to solidify his grip on this place. We may even need those weapons to arm an opposition, if he threatens killing again. At the very least, we'll need to keep our wits about us."

He turns to Paul and claps him on the shoulder. "You did well, my friend. What'll you do now?" He glances around at the others. "I plan to take a little rest and heal up, then take the lay of the land and go from there."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#558 Post by Karaunios »

Grimm just took some food and crossbow bolts, but about the treasure per se, hmmmm... he'll like to have some cut of that gold/those gems if possible. He at least helped carrying the water :lol:

The dwarf turns to Paul: "You took the village at the lake to the north?? Their main village?"

Darklin2
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#559 Post by Darklin2 »

So if we are going to hold on to all the extras how about we bury them in my large wooden trunk under the floor of my tent? It would give me time to repair some of the damage and make them higher quality that they are now. If anyone needs anything from the trunk they can just grab it later.

I am planning to clean up a suit of leather and repair it to make Paul a better suit if there are no objections.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#560 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sorry, my first list was not very clearly written.

My distribution example: (with names of members who showed interest)

Magic Ax and 10 gp
Magic Ring and 10 gp Cealwyn
Magic Stone and 10gp Daisy?
100gp Pearl and 50gp in writing materials Darklin
150gp in small gems
150gp in small gems
50gp in Gems, 70gp + chest/tooth Dexter

Grimm, Liam, Keg, and Darklin can all roll off for the hand ax, if interested. If Grimm just wants the gems instead, that’s fine too.

Return to “Completed Missions”