Re: OOC THREAD FOUR....

#201 Post by Starbeard »

Thanks!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by max_vale »

Sorry for the delay, it's my daughter's birthday this weekend, been running around like crazy....I'll get posts up tomorrow!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Rex »

No problem and Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Zhym »

Re: equipping and training Kato:
  1. How does permitting work for blasters? Can he get a standard blaster pistol and we assume it's permitted? And anything that's normally illegal isn't available?
  2. Can he train Force powers, or just normal powers?
  3. As for getting a lightsaber, I assume he'd have to find someone to teach him how to build one?
Also, where does the universe continuity go from here now that we've hit the end of the original trilogy? FWIW, if I never hear the words "First Order" in the game that'll be fine with me. I thought the Zahn books were a pretty good take on what could happen after the second Death Star was destroyed and the emperor killed. Or do we go with a completely different continuity?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by max_vale »

Okay....

1. Basically, yes....we can assume he gets a Standard Blaster Pistol with Permit....but here's the catch.....so, we're in a 'transition' time; so if he has the New Republic Permit; then on those worlds which identify themselves as 'New Republic members', then yeah, his permit is cool....right now, this is maybe a quarter of the Galaxy (a few months after Return of the Jedi)....many of the Core Worlds are actively being fought over right now....and many of the Outer RIm worlds generally don't much care if you have a Permit or not. Then a significant portion of the Galaxy are still 'Empire' worlds....or parts of various Faction States that are forming out of the 'rump' of the Empire.....which all together probably still outnumber the worlds that are New Republic (this will change in the next few years to a decade....but the Empire remnants will remain for a long stretch)

2. I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.....but Kato can certainly learn new Force Powers (and skills).....generally it will cost him 5 Skill Points to gain a new Force Skill (i.e. Control or Alter, he already has Sense)......IF Kit or Vale want to take some time to take him under their wing and help train him. If not, he's basically stuck with just Sense Powers.

To gain a new Power, it costs 5 Skill Points....right now, Kato can gain any Skill Force Power for 5 skill points. I BELIEVE I sent you the list of Force Powers and how they work, but if not, PM me and I'll send it to you.

3. Yes......luckily for him, he has two such people right now in his Party who have that skill (Lightsaber Training).....

Now as for the continuity....honestly, I'm pretty open minded about it. I don't have the problems with 7-9 that so many did (not saying I loved them and I definitely have questions as to WHY they added certain things/did things a certain way/etc., etc.)....but I'm not in love with them/married to them either; so I don't mind if they never happen or happen differently, etc., etc. They're 30 years off anyway, so for the most part, I don't think they impact anything we might do in THIS take on Star Wars.

I like but don't love the original Zahn books and am okay with much of that/some of that/none of that happening as well. What I DO think is a given is that the Empire didn't just collapse into nothing as soon as the 2nd Death Star blew up and the 'rise' of the New Republic definitely takes a few years (at least) to gain enough traction to have, say....half the Galaxy agree to being members. Now, whether or not parts of the Empire continue to call themselves 'The Empire' or just become various faction/states with new names...well, hell......I'm inclined to say "Both".....and on top of that, probably at least several factions calling themselves 'the TRUE Empire' or 'the REAL Empire' etc., etc.

I haven't gamed much in the 'post Endor' universe, so it's a bit new for me (with the exception of a 'Darkstryder Campaign' I ran with Rose in others in a RL group a year ago....a LOT of fun!).....so if any of you have some thoughts on what you'd like to see/not see, etc., I'm always anxious to hear!

I hope that helped!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Zhym »

Thanks!

I've always thought that the natural sequel to the original trilogy would be a political epic of the kind that George Lucas was very much not equipped to write. What happens when the rebellion gets a major victory and deposes the empire's leader, but the structure of the empire is still in place? How do you get from "victorious rebellion" to "Second Republic?" How do you transition from rebellion to governing? Someone with greater historical chops than me would need to write that, but it would be fascinating, IMO.

For example: taking the American Revolution as an example, would a war hero be drafted as leader of the new Republic? President Akbar, maybe?

So many interesting avenues to explore—and the movie trilogy basically just remade Episodes IV-VI.

Back to skills and equipment: if it's not metagaming too much, how likely are we to end up on an Empire (or former Empire) planet? Do we move around a lot, or does the adventure tend to stay in one place?

Re: the lightsaber and Jedi skills, Kato would definitely have been trying to ingratiate himself to Kit and Vale and try to get one or both of them to train him up properly. Whether they'd be willing to train this clear wannabe is another matter, so I'd leave it to their players to say whether they think they'd teach Kato some new tricks or shun him as a pretender. Would that need to be IC, or is it part of the flash forward for training, etc? Same with the lightsaber.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by max_vale »

(In Ackbar voice) "Never run for office....IT'S A TRAP!" ahem....sorry....

As for the Training, I'll leave it up to Starbeard and/or Rex how they want to go about it....if they are okay with it, I can see some slow but steady progress being made....

As for the Lightsaber, you're going to need to learn the Control Force Skill and then the Control Force Power 'Lightsaber Training' and then get a Khyber Crystal....all of which I can work into the adventure......IF you want to be wielding a Lightsaber the way Vale and Kit do. On the other hand, if you just want a Lightsaber....we can work on that too....but note you have to beat a Difficulty number of 20 (vice 10 with the Force Skill and Power) to hit anything with hit (except maybe yourself....or that random guy next to you.....or the load-bearing wall you're standing next too....etc., etc......que evil GM laugh!)

As for likelihood of going to Empire (or factions thereof) Worlds....I'd say that's HIGHLY likely unless everyone wants to move into a new realm of Star Wars RPG where instead we take on TAXATION AND ZONING LAWS IN THE NEW REPUBLIC, EPISODE I!!!!!!! (A TRULY frightening concept...at least to me!)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Zhym »

It might be fun to have Kato try to wield a lightsaber before having the Force skills to properly use it. OTOH, it would be pretty dangerous… :)

The skill check would be DEX/Melee, right? So Kato, with 5D in melee, would have a 30% chance of successfully using a lightsaber at any attempt. Definitely not something to rely on!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by max_vale »

Actually Lightsabers are so special they actually have their own skill....so it's DEX/Lightsaber.......but yep....not a great chance of success....but oh-so-fun with 'WHAT COULD GO WRONG!' :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Rex »

Kit will increase
Lightsaber to 5D (4 points)
Control to 3d (6 points)
Sense to 2d+2 (5 points)

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#211 Post by ateno »

Bargin to 5+2 please

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Zhym »

max_vale wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:41 am Actually Lightsabers are so special they actually have their own skill....so it's DEX/Lightsaber.......but yep....not a great chance of success....but oh-so-fun with 'WHAT COULD GO WRONG!' :)
So his chances of successfully using a lightsaber are more like 5% right now. That would be a way to find out what could go wrong!

kipper
Ranger
Ranger

#213 Post by kipper »

Regarding continuity, I'm not fussed and am happy with whatever. I would like the game to continue to revolve around action and excitement though!

Clark will increase:
Dexterity/Blaster 6D -> 6D+2 (12pts)

I would prefer to carry over 3 points, unless that is too many? There aren't really any skills 3D or under which I want to improve right now, if the maximum carry-over is 2 I think I'd prefer to carry-over just 2 points and lose the 3rd point entirely.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Rex »

kipper wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:57 pm Regarding continuity, I'm not fussed and am happy with whatever. I would like the game to continue to revolve around action and excitement though!
I agree with kipper on both continuity and action/excitement.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by max_vale »

I will do my best to keep the action and excitement coming!

All characters updated, Kipper, take a look at a PM I sent you when you get a chance.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Starbeard »

Mr GM, so are we saying that Vale needs to find a mentor to learn a new Force power? Bumping his skills is good, but based on the last couple of adventures I think would be nice to expand his powers a bit instead.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by max_vale »

Hey Sean!

Not at all.....Vale can learn a new Power for the cost of 5 Skill Points.....whatcha have in mind?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Starbeard »

Not sure yet, actually. I need to figure out where I left the Force powers house rules on my computer first!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Zhym »

Kato needs someone to train him, though. Any takers, or are Kit and Vale too weirded out by the wannabe?

I'm thinking I want to equip him with a blaster, and maybe a quarterstaff or something like that (some Chirrut Îmwe type action going on there, maybe). Not sure what else he needs or could use.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Starbeard »

Vale would be happy to. He taught Kit most of what he knows and needs another student to maintain his delusion of Jedi mastery.

Return to “WEG Star Wars 1st Edition d6”