OOC Discussion

Marullus
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion

#241 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Since not all of us are disguised as trolls, could the undisguised be "taken" by the disguised ones? Telling the real troll "There's more of us than of you, so we's takin' yer food"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Marullus »

Nobody is disguised as a troll; it was too hard a roll. Ganna disguised them as "A-list Adventurers" who are well-equipped.

Tancred has neither skill for the conflict, so he's sitting out with Grimm. (The new post is on the IC thread with all the details.) If things go wrong and lose the conflict, Tancred and Grimm can potentially act next.

The good news is that Hungry/Thirsty only applies once to the whole group. So, there will be a -1 penalty to the disposition total if ANYONE is still hungry/thirsty at the time that Stirling rolls it.

As for Haar... he's already in confidence with the troll so has a good position to act. (When doing a non-conventional conflict like a Trick, your creation of Narrative Positioning items can be counted in some cases as weapons in the conflict, adding +1d or +1s.) He also has a fire and could contrive a way to help you to light your torches in his action.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#243 Post by shroomofinsanity »

So I was thinking for my action, to try and get him covered in some oil, at least the injured leg. My thinking is that my friends might be able to take advantage of either his new flammability( perhaps getting him to dive in the pond to put it out, then getting him in the light) or it might make it possible to get him off balance due to having a slippery foot/leg. The exact narrative would be something along the lines of Mr. Big scary troll, you need to make sure those evil adventurers can't grab a hold of you, so let me douse you in this grease so you you slide from their fingers. Using manipulation there to convince him. what are the party's thoughts? I want to make sure I am using what little advantage I have to best I can before my cover is blown.

Would using the oil grant me additional +1s or +1d like the fire might? I am trying to hold onto whatever relationship I have developed with the troll. The only other thing I can think of, is to "accidentally" knock some coals/logs out of the cook fire towards him and using manipulator to explain that I am also scared of the adventurers, easy to sell as I'm already scared as is.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#244 Post by Rex »

Sounds good to me.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Stirling »

Butter him up like the wrestlers put on oil for naked mud wrestling.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#246 Post by shroomofinsanity »

so before this goes to the next checks, I ask that one or more checks can be used on cooking to extend the food we have here, that can keep everyone out of hungry and since there is already a cook fire we wouldn't need camp?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Marullus »

You can eat a full ration or drink from the pool to get rid of Hungry/Thirsty. (Given the current scenario cooking is understandable) Your gear is all in the side alcove and you could eat one ration each from there with no test.

You already are cooking over the fire in this scene, so I think it is appropriate for you to use a Turn to do it instead of requiring a Check in camp-phase. Stretching one fresh ration to feed the whole party is Ob2, a preserved ration would be Ob3. You already gathered one fresh ration of bats and have been cooking them all scene. You can spend a turn to do the Ob2 test to feed the whole group with them and not spend your other rations.

If you spend a Turn throwing a whole party (as only Haar the Halfling could do), then this applies:
Merrymaking
Halfl ings have the Merrymaking Nature descriptor. They love
to throw parties, host dinners and celebrate—particularly
with good food and drink. Merrymaking is not the Cook skill;
it’s a party. This is an important distinction to make when
out in the wild.
Using the Merrymaking descriptor, halfl ings can help their
friends overcome the hungry and thirsty, angry and afraid
conditions by dancing with them, composing songs with
them, surprising them with gifts or even pranks. Note that
this effect is not recovery. It’s closer to what a healer does, so
it can be done out of recovery order.
Also, a party of one is hardly a party at all. Merrymaking is
for groups, not individuals. The obstacle for entertaining a
group should be higher than the standard individual recovery
obstacles.
There are also some other actions that I would normally expect (per my post in the IC thread) that you could all pursue.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#248 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Does using my nature that way require me to use persona or fate, because I'm out of those.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Marullus »

No, you roll your nature as its own attribute. You only need to spend a Persona to add your nature to another skill for a roll.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Rex »

I was thinking of eating/drinking but not sure of another pre-camp action. Once we camp she can recharge her wand and try and make some potions. Sound good?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by Marullus »

Right now, you have three checks (belonging to Grimm and Haar), so only three actions can be done in camp and you can't do two in a row. Of course, it is possible to earn more before camp, depending what you do.

Yes, both recharging your wand and making potions need to be done in camp. (Both would be wise. :) )

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Rex »

I think I get to recharge my wand for free when we camp.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by Marullus »

No that's a difference for witches.
This skill may be used in town as personal business (+1 to lifestyle cost) or to re-charge items in camp (at the cost of a check).
A Human Magician or Gnome Illusionist recharges the spells in his mind for free but has a fixed number of spells in his mind.

Because a Witch can enchant multiple wands, rods, or staffs (and allow others to use them, too), she has to pay to recharge them.

I have allowed in house rules that you can create new objects in Camp and not just town (and in some circumstances in an adventure phase). I could be convinced to allow the recharging of ONE object for free per camp or town phase (but checked and hasn't put that in the house rules yet) but ALL objects is a loophole they intended to close.

Edit: sorry, you DO get to recharge your wand for free because it is your Instinct.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Rex »

Sorry, should have been more specific. She does have it as the instinct.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by Stirling »

Sorry lots to think about and update here. I will post in a day or so.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#256 Post by Enoch »

Everybody, I think I'm going to drop out of the game. I underestimated how much effort would be required to get everyone familiar enough with the game mechanics to have a functional game, and it's just sapped my enjoyment.

If it helps, feel free to rewind and have Cu sacrificed to the troll or something.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by Rex »

I am sort of feeling the same, although for the opposite reason. I just can't seem to like the rules. The story is fine but more than any other game I have ever played the rules are what drive this game not the players actions. I feel like I need to consult the rules before I decide what to do, something I have never done with any other RPG I have played. Normally I declare and action then either know how the rules handle it or just look it up and go from there. You can't seem to do that with this game and I much prefer the other method.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Marullus »

It's a valid observation. I have learned a lot in this campaign about that difference in game style and design.

Torchbearer talks about "describe to play" as it's core mechanic and SHOULD be play-first. The rules, however, are really dependent on on group-play. I think that it is easier to do at a table and the asynchronous nature of Play by Post makes it unusually hard.

The rules have serious consequence for people taking unilateral action, but the OOC discussion which overcomes that is just harder here. The last game went well, but was awash in red type. This game has a good story but with players who operate well in a Freeplay style which keeps tripping on this group-centric rule set.

I am a firm believer that games should be fun, and I have been watching the slowing post rate as an indicator that this game is not. I am okay closing this experiment.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#259 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Maybe Torchbearer is not the best game for play by post, due to its very teamwork and table talk focused play. I am still really hankering for that OSR low down and dirty style. I am also not opposed to learning new systems in the slightest. We could always try something else if everyone is feeling this way.

I apologize if any of it comes from my inconsistent posting, since things only got more hectic at my job with everything going on.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Marullus »

I think it is tougher but not impossible - the main crux is that actions are always by the group led by an individual and not actually individual action. That's a sharp difference from normal OSR games which are focused on individual action and (in well-made ones like Stars Without Number) carefully construct individual autonomy into the rules.

I appreciate the experiment done here and the story we've told. I am satisfied if we close the game here. I am also happy to continue running if you all are happy and desire the story go on.

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”