OOC Discussion

Marullus
BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion

#181 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Marullus wrote:Sounds great! Lets roll! You can roll Disposition and your first action.

Disposition has been rolled, We have 6 hit points that have to be distributed "evenly", so we each get 1.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#182 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Can everyone help a Will test by using their own Will? Or am I alone in this test? If they can do I assume an extra +5D?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Marullus »

Correct, Stats help Stats. So everyone can help. Roll the extra +5D.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#184 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I was updating my character sheet. I don't think I have any persona left. I must have used it earlier but I don't recall when. I do have a fate so I could reroll a failure instead.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#185 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I've rolled for my maneuver, got 5 successes. I thought I had a Persona but I didn't so I edited the post and changed it to use Fate for a single die reroll.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for your honesty! I missed the mistake and already calculated everything out. So, I'll let it stand in the results. (Grimm got to roll the +2D instead of the Troll getting -1D on a negated roll.) :) I'll just record the spent Fate for you on the tracker.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#187 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Once Ganna writes up their Defend action then we'll go to round 2. Haar, Clough, and Cu will have to do something. I've got my plan set, but will wait until the first round is done.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#188 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Hopefully Marullius has his orders set so he won't be influenced.

For round 2 that Haar, Clough, and Cu have to go before the others go in round 3, if there is a round 3.

Clough seems to have jumped ahead and swing at the troll, so that's either an Attack or a Feint. Since he described turning back to face the troll that sounds like a Feint - a sudden change of direction. I was hoping he would do a Maneuver and give Haar, the better Fighter, extra dice. But oh well.

So, for round 2 it will be
1st action: Clough - Feint with Fighter/2 with help from everyone with Fighter: +3D from Grimm, Tancred, and Haar.
2nd action: Haar - Attack with Fighter/3 with +3D Fighter help from Grimm, Tancred, and Clough
3rd action: Cu, being a druid (to me a sorta-cleric-type) does a Defend with Will/5, +5D help from everyone. Hopefully to regain any disposition lost by Clough and/or Haar. Each MoS (Margin of Success) over the troll gets us one disposition back, but we cannot go over the initial 6 though.

Remember, if you have armour you can use it to absorb 1 point of damage once per combat.

Also, since the troll is bigger than you, we're going to lose some successes due to the Might difference.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Stirling »

EVERYONE: Narrate your help in the initial maneuver and you get a Passed Will Test. 
Tancred, Haar, and Clough: Narrate your skilled attacks against the beast and get a Passed Fighter Test. 
Sorry I am getting a bit confused. My post is in relation to the request to narrate my previous actions.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#190 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Oh, ok. Do you want to switch to my original plan?

Clough Maneuver, Haar Attack, Cu defend

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Marullus »

Once Cu Aislin defends, we'll need you to consider and decide three new actions.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Stirling »

Clough has remaining oil on his satchel. It makes sense to use one, smashing it on the feet of the troll fir someone with a torch to light up.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Marullus »

I'm honestly really choked up... I was rooting for you guys to win! I really thought you had it at the end of the first round when you had it at less than half its Disposition. :cry:

The good news is that failure still drives story; dramatically so in Torchbearer. We get to discuss together and decide what horrible twist you all next face based on these events.
Wow. Now we negotiate the narrative compromise. It gets its intent; you get a moderate compromise for removing half its disposition.
The creature's intent is to devour you. Nom nom nom.
Your intention was to drive the creature from the caves and secure the Sacred Pool.
Compromise: Lost About Half
If the loser knocks off half of the winner’s disposition, there must be a solid compromise in this conflict. The loser doesn’t get his goal, but imagine he got halfway there. Or the loser could accept defeat, but introduce a new, unforeseen complication that has arisen due to the winner’s victory. This is how a player creates a twist.
Alternately, the loser could offer a compromise in which the winner only got halfway to the goal. Good luck convincing the winner to agree!
We can discuss in the OOC Discussion thread. Here are some options you have with various degrees of compromise.
  • It has captured all of you for (later) devouring. You're now ALL trapped by the Troll and are all Afraid, but aren't dead yet.
  • You failed to secure the pool and got run off. Only one of you got captured and eaten.* The rest of you are (potentially lost) in the caverns, Exhausted and Afraid.
  • You got half your goal: You've secured the pool, but the Troll dragged one of you into the caverns to consume. The rest of you are Injured. It is also not out of the caves... it waits in the darkness to consume more of you when you try to escape.

* Fate and Persona awards will carry forward to a new PC who can be added to the soonest available scene.

I'm open to considering other proposals.
Discuss!

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#194 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

If the troll just drags us back to its lair, if it drags our packs with us, do you think that if we dump all our food, plus some wine if we have it, into a back corner of where ever he puts us. Maybe the "enticing" aroma of our fine food will distract it long enough so we can run?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Marullus »

Possibly? That's likely either a trick action or a Flee conflict.
...but the important thing is to decide what problem you're about to face next. Not how you're going to solve it. :)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#196 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I was assuming the first option - dragged back to its lair.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Rex »

I am good with dragged back to its lair, then whatever comes next.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Stirling »

All trapped and afraid sounds better than one dead and others lost. I am fine playing Clough (if not eaten first) alone in the cave if that is group decision.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Marullus »

So, to be clear, NONE of these are supposed to sound good. :) I'll elaborate. Each option going downward provides increased narrative freedom in exchange for harsher conditions being applied.
Marullus wrote:
  • It has captured all of you for (later) devouring. You're now ALL trapped by the Troll and are all Afraid, but aren't dead yet.
This is the least narrative freedom - it is the closest option to you all dying, just that I'm not having someone die yet. You explicitly have not escaped and the "dead and eaten" condition can be applied as a condition for any failed action. You can't rest, camp, or recover. You're tied up and it is free to eat you, but you DO have a limited opportunity to try to talk, persuade, trick, or riddle your way out of the situation from your position of disadvantage. You still have to deal with the troll one way or othe other before you can escape or regroup, but you're all in it together.
(Think of this of the dwarves in the Hobbit all charging the trolls and ending up tied to spits over the campfire and Bilbo trying to play for time by arguing how to cook the party properly, except that you don't have Gandalf showing up at dawn to save you.)
Marullus wrote:
  • You failed to secure the pool and got run off. Only one of you got captured and eaten.* The rest of you are (potentially lost) in the caverns, Exhausted and Afraid.
Someone dies, but you got away. You're Exhausted, which is harder to deal with. You can regroup, camp, and recover some. You can return to try again for the pool or escape. (Whether you are lost or not depends on if you can successfully develop your map with cartography.)
Marullus wrote:
  • You got half your goal: You've secured the pool, but the Troll dragged one of you into the caverns to consume. The rest of you are Injured. It is also not out of the caves... it waits in the darkness to consume more of you when you try to escape.
Someone dies, you "got away," AND you were partially successful and retained control of the pool. Conditions are worse: Injured is worse than Exhausted. You can regroup, camp, and recover some, but the troll remains between you and leaving the caves if you go back the way you came. By controlling the pool you can also try to recover the sword, consort with the spirits of the Place of Power, and pursue other objectives.

Does that help?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Stirling »

How do we choose who dies? Clough logically since he is the most injured.

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”