Under the Black-Heart Lily

Golem
Golem
Tracker
Tracker

Under the Black-Heart Lily

#1 Post by Golem »

This where the adventure begins, at the Black Heart Lily Tavern & Inn. (Please read the description in the City of Specularum thread). Consider the characters arriving pretty much at the same time, please.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Under the Black-Heart Lily

#2 Post by jason.connerley »

Brom settles in a table off to the side of the Lily. He orders a bowl of stew and mug of ale. He watches the room for familiar faces he may want to say hello to. Of course he is also watching for trouble, years in the army made him familiar with bars, and he is familiar with the signs of a brewing fight or other disturbance.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by thirdkingdom »

Gasa Loc

Gasa Loc, magician of mediocrity, enters the tavern, blinking in the dim light. He takes a spot by the fire.

Golem
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by Golem »

OOC: I'm going to jump in and pre-empt this just once.

The Lily is dark and quiet today as you step inside. Gone is the usual rowdy and cheerful atmosphere, now replaced with a few sullen faces and empty tables throughout. The tall imposing figure of the owner Lutheir Sforza approaches your group as you’re taking in the dismal scene.

“Ach, are you here to drink or to answer my call for assistance? I’m afraid if its food you’re after, well…we lack kitchen help at the moment. Sadly, the kitchen is closed.”

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by beniliusbob »

Oswego lurks in the back of the Lily, working steadily through a pitcher of strong beer as he observes the latest arrivals to the inn's common room. Neither seems likely to have anything worth stealing, but that's fine: Oswego's purse is still over-full from last week's take. But the rest of his gang of urchins was rounded up by the guards after they knocked over the silk dealer. Oswego needs new allies, or he'll end up like his old friends: rotting in one of the Duke's cells. He wonders what these two strangers might be able to do for him...

His ears perk up as Lutheir speaks. Assisting the innkeep might be a way to keep himself living indoors - with pitchers of ale - a while longer...

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by jason.connerley »

Brom stands up and catches on inn keep's eye.

Luthier, you have always treated me fairly, if there is anything I can do for you just name it my friend.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Paladin »

Asger

Asger enters amid the trickle of patrons wandering in and occupies a seat near the others. He scans the room with a genial gaze and offers a nod to those who acknowledge his presence. The solid, muscled youth wears heavy, road-worn plate that is meticulously oiled despite its battered appearance.

A two-handed sword speaks loudly of his profession and penchant for close combat. He drains a mug of warm mead to clear the dust of the road from his throat and begins on a second, sipping this time as he leans back and cocks his head at the booming resonance of the owner's voice.

He leans forward, elbows on the table, and regards the big man with a concerned eye. "What's the trouble, brother?"

roryb
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by roryb »

Jacek Egorov

The gangly Traladaran youth with a black mop of hair had been in Specularum for the past few days seeking work and currently makes the Lily his home. He had also crossed paths with the others, making acquaintances through word of swapped news and a complimentary drink or two.

With nothing from the kitchen available, the young freesword makes due with what is. On his third mug of affordable ale, he leans in to find opportunity from among Lutheir’s words.

Golem
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by Golem »

Your words offer a little respite from the worry the owner and barkeep of the Lily carries on his face. "Follow me," he says in that growling voice of his. Those that follow are led into the kitchen, which remains empty and unused.

“Each day, one more would disappear. They were always alone when they vanished. Within a few days, none of my workers remained. I hired temporary help and they left too. There are no other doors out of the kitchen except through the bar. No one saw any of them leave. Now, no one will work here and I’ve had to close my kitchen down. I can't run an inn, much else a tavern if I can't feed my customers.”

He looks at each of you as he twists his bar towel in worry.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by jason.connerley »

"You are saying they just disappeared into the thin air out of this room?"

Brom looks doubtful.

"If you would allow us to make use of the kitchen to cook a meal perhaps we could stay here tonight to see if we can get to the bottom of this."

Brom's request is accompanied by the growling of his stomach...

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by beniliusbob »

OOC: there's only one door in and out? And no windows, cellar doors etc?

Golem
Tracker
Tracker

#12 Post by Golem »

beniliusbob wrote:OOC: there's only one door in and out? And no windows, cellar doors etc?
Just the one door, no windows, and a drainage grate at one end.

Golem
Tracker
Tracker

#13 Post by Golem »

jason.connerley wrote:"You are saying they just disappeared into the thin air out of this room?"

Brom looks doubtful.

"If you would allow us to make use of the kitchen to cook a meal perhaps we could stay here tonight to see if we can get to the bottom of this."

Brom's request is accompanied by the growling of his stomach...
Luthier solemnly shakes his head. "The kitchen remains closed until it is safe. Sirs, if you can find a way to make sense of this, to...fix this...I would give all of you what I have already offered as a reward through word of mouth: Two hundred and fifty gold. It will not be long till others come seeking the reward."

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by beniliusbob »

Oswego's eyes widen at the sum named by Luthier.

"Oh, we's can right it, I reckon. And all above board o'course." He twitches and stills his nervous fingers, thinking about all that gold.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by thirdkingdom »

Gasa Loc, Magic-user

Loc's eyes gleam at the challenge. "A locked room mystery!" he exclaims, jabbing a finger into the air. "My nanny used to tell me tales such as these, when I was a lad. I never thought I would have the chance to participate in one. This sounds to be fine sport!"

roryb
Guide
Guide

#16 Post by roryb »

Jacek Egorov

Lanky Jacek's eyes express an equal eagerness as his companions' upon the mention of gold. "You can be sure of answers," he adds.

"Master Luthier, may we set a watch tonight on your kitchen?" To his friends, he adds, "If we await the fate that fell upon the LIly's poor cooks and servants, maybe, prepared, we can take the evil by surprise? We might first inspect that grate for signs of recent passing, such as scuffs or scrapes."

Following his own suggestion, Jacek immediately looks for obvious signs around the drainage covering.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Paladin »

Asger

Asger absorbs the conversation in silence. At the mention of gold, he sweeps the room with a quick glance to count heads. A tidy sum for all involved, he decides.

"I'm willing," he says simply. His deep voice emerges as a low rumble from his chest.

beniliusbob
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by beniliusbob »

roryb wrote:Jacek Egorov

Lanky Jacek's eyes express an equal eagerness as his companions' upon the mention of gold. "You can be sure of answers," he adds.

"Master Luthier, may we set a watch tonight on your kitchen?" To his friends, he adds, "If we await the fate that fell upon the LIly's poor cooks and servants, maybe, prepared, we can take the evil by surprise? We might first inspect that grate for signs of recent passing, such as scuffs or scrapes."

Following his own suggestion, Jacek immediately looks for obvious signs around the drainage covering.
Oswego nods in approval of Jacek's idea. While Jacek inspects the grate, Oswego sweeps the rest of the room, looking for anything out of place and searching for secret doors.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#19 Post by jason.connerley »

Brom

Brom watches as his fellows begin to check the kitchen. He sighs and reflects to himself,
"Seems like a waste of time, surely the inn keep would have done this and is more familiar with the kitchen than we."
Not wanting to crush the enthusiasm of his new comrades Brom starts looking for a good place to hide.

"In case you lads are unsuccessful I'm going to see if I can find a place for someone to hide. Since the disappearances happened when they were alone we'll need one person as bait, one hiding in the room to call out the alarm the others can post outside the kitchen door ready to rush in."

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by thirdkingdom »

Golem wrote:Your words offer a little respite from the worry the owner and barkeep of the Lily carries on his face. "Follow me," he says in that growling voice of his. Those that follow are led into the kitchen, which remains empty and unused.

“Each day, one more would disappear. They were always alone when they vanished. Within a few days, none of my workers remained. I hired temporary help and they left too. There are no other doors out of the kitchen except through the bar. No one saw any of them leave. Now, no one will work here and I’ve had to close my kitchen down. I can't run an inn, much else a tavern if I can't feed my customers.”

He looks at each of you as he twists his bar towel in worry.
Gasa Loc, Magic-user

"Is there anything else you can tell us about your employees? Were they all women, for instance, or all Traladaran? Did any of them drink to much, or indulge in Black Lotus? Did any of them have any debts to criminals, or perhaps one of them angered a powerful wizard? Have *you* angered a powerful wizard? Oh!" he gestures wildly. "Perhaps you turned away an old crone seeking food and shelter for the night, but who had no money? She would likely have been a goddess in disguise, and if you spurned her you may be being punished for a lack of hospitality."

Return to “In Dank Darkness Below (S&W)”