Action Thread #5 - The Plains

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Action Thread #5 - The Plains

#1 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 3 - Early Afternoon - Grassy Plain/Weed Lake Shore

Heading south the adventurers soon reach the shores of the third lake. The waters are clear enough but so choked with weeds the bottom of the lake, even by the edge of the shore, cannot be seen. It is the mass of green weeds that gave the lake its coloration from a distance. Clearly there will be no swimming or sailing on this body of water.

Directly to the Southeast from the party's current position, maybe a mile or so into the lake, the is the shape of a rocky islet with some sort of structure atop it.

Nearby, to the West is the looming dark mass of the bog, which reaches right until the lake's shores. To the East the open grassy plain continues, following the edge of the lake as it curves gently SE.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Action Thread #5 - The Plains

#2 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor wrinkles his nose and only leans over to clean up in a relatively clear patch of water along the shore, not wading in. "Could be anything hiding in that. And what is this sign of intelligent life out across the water? Shall we move along the shore and investigate?" Thurinor shields his eyes with one hand to see if he can make out particular features of the structure on the islet.
"I must lie down where all the ladders start / In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart." —W. B. Yeats, "The Circus Animals' Desertion"

Geert Harfoot, Level 1 Halfling, Spartakos's Borderlands of Lamora Game
Brother Constantine, Level 3 Half-Elf Cleric/Magic-User, Spartakos's Play by Board Game
Former Unseen Servant DM, UK5 Eye of the Serpent

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by Stonjuz »

"Shallow waters it must be to have the veggie overgrown throughout as such."
Giving the turtle time once again to stretch its legs, Stonjuz takes his staff and prods the bottom near the party's chosen edge.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by zebediah »

That structure might give us some clues on where we are, so it is worth investigating. I can go ahead and scout its surroundings once we're all rested and ready to proceed.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Stonjuz »

"Unless there is a land jetty up around the bend on the other side, I've a feelin we'z gettin' wet. That structure's on an island. Least it aint bitter cold like up yonder, or steaming hot like the batman's cave. Everyone know how to swim? As for suckin fishbones, dont think me nets are gonna be much help with all them thar' plants. We can try it ....but we may have to break out the fishing line and do it the hard way. "

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by Buzz »

"I would like to see how the weed tastes by itself, boiled into soup. Back on the coast we used to drink it whenever somebody ccaught a cold."

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Sir Clarence »

"I don't feel like swimming, no thank you", replies Andrin. "I'd much prefer to walk around the lake and see if we can find a boat or a raft or something. If people were or are living there, they need something to cross the water, and perhaps we can use it too. Besides, we need to find a fresh water source. My waterskin is empty, and I don't particularly trust the lake water."

Ra the monk
Scout
Scout

#8 Post by Ra the monk »

"I concur that we should scout out a way to get to that building without getting wet. But first we should eat and tend to our wounds.". Walking over to the laked edge Oz cleans the muck off his face and starts to clean the rest of himself and his gear.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Vargr1105 »

Even straining sight, no more detail can be gleaned from whatever sits atop the islet but it either is an artificial structure or a very odd natural one that sees to have that shape from this distance.

Is the party setting out, or stopping for R&R? GM needs to know for timekeeping purposes.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz removes his backpack and sits. Petting the turtle shell, he offers the animal some of the lake's kelp, trying to keep the pet's diet appropriately mixed. "No? You want fish, dont ya? Me too. Soon enough my friend. Eat some green, keeps ya regular. I got some things I need tend to first, unless one o' the others can catch something."
The dwarf takes the bat and the lizard skins and begins a refined cleaning with the fresh water readily available. "This should help the smell stay managable. Who is on watch?"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by ragnboneshopper »

After cleaning up, Thurinor agrees with Oz and Andrin: "Why not move to a part of shore closer to the island, further south? If there is a boat to find, it will most likely be found at the narrowest point between the two shores."

OOC: I'm thinking we might be able to find a spot where we could get a better sight of this structure, then make camp for the night. By vargr's description, we're still near the north end of the lake and looking across the lake's length rather than the width, which might be narrower.
"I must lie down where all the ladders start / In the foul rag and bone shop of the heart." —W. B. Yeats, "The Circus Animals' Desertion"

Brother Constantine, Level 3 Half-Elf Cleric/Magic-User, Spartakos's Play by Board Game

Buzz
Scout
Scout

#12 Post by Buzz »

"We do still have plenty of time, let's go ahead and move. We can break later." Malone finishes splaching his face. "Stonjuz, think you can wait on that cleaning?"

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Stonjuz »

"Now Ill just take me a little na....what?....Boccob's backteeth....dagnabit, Im comin".
The dwarf spends another moment or two gathering his belongings and with his pet under arm, says... "I dont see what the hurrrrrry is... and if you ask me.....Hey, wait fer me."
Last edited by Stonjuz on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#14 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin follows along, happy that the group has decided to move on. He's on the lookout for clear water to fill his waterskin while circling the lake.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by zebediah »

Ogirdor will scout ahead, bow in hand and arrow nocked in case any threat comes in sight.

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor keeps an eye on the water and looks out for any thick brush that might hide an ambush or (hopefully) a raft/boat. "We could probably build a raft without too much trouble with deadfalls from the bog." Thurinor wrinkles his nose at his own idea and is glad to be moving away from that particular place of adventure.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by Vargr1105 »

And so, the companions set on once again, walking Southwest along the shoreline and keeping eye on the islet amid the lake. As the journey progresses and distance between this edge of the lake and that land outcropping diminishes further detail can be discerned.

The structure on the islet is definitively of artificial origin. It looks like a grim, battlemented building of stone. And more interestingly, there seems to be a straight dark, greenish-brown line on the lake surface about half-mile ahead. It connects the shore with the northern end of the islet.

Making haste the party soon finds that it is a low, old wooden bridge; more of a causeway really, built over one half-mile of lake water until reaching the islet. Wide enough to have held a ox cart, now it's edges are thick with overgrown lake-weed, the tops of the supportive wooden pylons can hardly be seen.

Still, in a mockery of the bog-trails of before, there is enough clear space on the middle for one person to walk comfortably, or two side-by-side with some care.

Derived Roll: [1d100] = 74

Derived Roll: [1d100] = 86

The party has walked over one mile along the shore to reach the end of this "bridge".

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Stonjuz »

"Dont see any sign of tracks. 'Course yall can pickem outta lil' better 'n I. When the time comes, you must show me the secrets of that proof....profish..., profishin, profinishien..sy,..."'chuckle' "I can't say it...proopheci.....skill". What say? We either rest backins where we were before, or right here, or we just go knock on the door explaining our problem. I can tell some o' youz is still weary from the lizzies fight. And I's thinkin' that they might not welcome us much. We should rest and prepare for mama mephit, or the lizard's daddy if ya know what I means."
Stonjuz looks around for the nearest sign of cover."Maybe over there?"
The Cleric of Boccob points the staff's end to the nearest bushes, eroded dips in terrain and/or shadow. If none can be found, he slowly spins the staff a full 360 until back to his spot again and will add, "sigh""....my bad".

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by ragnboneshopper »

"Well, this is something. Very interesting..." Thurinor concentrates in order to perceive the bridge, islet, and battlements with his second sight, hopeful for some mystery to occupy his fancy and yet dreading what the magical auras may tell him. [detect magic]

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by zebediah »

The ranger analyses the bridge and the area leading to it looking for tracks, then tests the safety of the bridge with the spear shaft or any other appropriate tools at hand.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”