Action Thread #5 - The Plains

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread #5 - The Plains

#121 Post by saalaria »

A humanoid emerges from the water:
"Sssso you wisssh to parley. Thisss isss good" the Lizardman speaks in halting Common, uncertainly putting the words together in the clearly unfamiliar tongue.
He strides back to the jetty, his trident held low by his side.
"My name issss SSSwilbossssh, welcome to my home" he hisses sibliantly

OOC - Hi all, the secret can finally be revealed! Been waiting nearly a week on tenterhooks!

rfrahm87
Strider
Strider

#122 Post by rfrahm87 »

Oz stops moving and studies the reptile-man for a moment. "Your home has a lot of traps, Swilbosh. Do you have enemies in the area?"

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#123 Post by Vargr1105 »

Day 3 - Afternoon - Grassy Plain/The Lake Fortress

Musical Theme: Conversations with a Lizardman

And so...with an amphibian coming out of the water a curious dialog begins. The adventurers have met the first sentient creature to communicate with since they began their journeys down Hardway Mountain. One wonders, what can this mysterious reptilian to tell the heroes that may be of help in their quest to return to their homes?

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#124 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz thinks to himself, "Lizard daddy. I was right all along." "Tis true we are not certain of a way off this mountain. Does such exist? Are you lost also?. Perhaps a meal, conversation, some supplies and directions and we could be on our way if'n you prefer to be alone. I am Stonjuz D'Eyeurnhead, and these are my companions Andrin, Ozborn, Malone, Ogirdor, Thurinor and Turtlepoo." The dwarf looks for signs of beastial salavation when the turtle is sighted.

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#125 Post by zebediah »

"Well met Swilbosh and thank you for trusting us. I am Ogirdor." although still wary of the lizardman the ranger puts away the arrow, keeping the bow in hand "Perhaps it makes sense to explain further. We have been sent to the mountains above by forces we still do not understand, probably magic of some sort. Up to this point we have no idea even about the part of the world we are currently in. As my friend Stonjuz says, we seek a way out and we would be deeply indebted if we could have your assistance. What can you tell us about this region, and do you know what is the nearest settlement?"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#126 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor sheaths his sword. "Abundant thanks for your hospitality, Swilbossh, and pardon our intrusion. You live all alone here? Are there no more of your kind about these parts?"

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#127 Post by Sir Clarence »

"My name is Andrin, servant of the Old Faith", Andrin bows slightly. "It's the first time for me that I make the acquaintance of one of your race. I feel honored." Andrin points at the statuettes within the room. "You are a remarkable woodcutter, Swilbosh. These are beautiful pieces of art. Oh, and this golem or whatever it is, on top of your home, I suppose you have nothing to do with it?"

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#128 Post by saalaria »

"SSSSorry I not used to thisss tongue asss I learn assss hatchling. I not heard it ssspoken for many yearsss. You ssspeak more ssslowly pleassse till I understand better - yesss?
With that Swilbosh bustles around getting vessels for drinks. He fills each with lake water and passes to the companions expecting them to drink it like he does.
"You like fissssh yesss? I have some really nice - not sssure how you sssay - Ssss-un-rsssh ready jussst now."
Without really waiting for a reply he goes out of the room through the door you entered.

Sir Clarence
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#129 Post by Sir Clarence »

Andrin looks skeptically at the murky lake water. As soon as Swilbosh has left the room, he hurries over to the boat and empties half of the mug back into the water again. Slightly embarrassed, he shrugs smilingly at his companions. "Better safe than sorry, my friends."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#130 Post by Stonjuz »

"Nay, me too." Stonjuz also dumps the offer and pours a finger full into the cup and wastes that also. Then he readies himself a fresh cup-full from his skin. He drinks half, sets it down and removes the turtled-helm to under arm while bringing the cup down for the pet to drink from too.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh returns with armfuls of the dried fish - presumably from the other room. He hands it out to everyone so each person has at least two each. He is very keen on the fish so shows the Lizardman way to eat - he flicks one up in the air, catches in his mouth, and swallows it whole.
"So you eat now yesss? Me anssswer you now. I been here since I very young one. I come with mother and father from far away but they gone now.
He gulps some water and another fish.
"I fight with the small onesss from sswamp - they take my wood. Sssso arrowsss wasss to ssstop them come back to my home....

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#132 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor smiles widely at Swilbosh and says, "Yes, we ran into your neighbors, I presume. The small ones have a vicious spit, do they not?" Thurinor resumes looking through Swilbosh's handiwork, but with his former suspicion replaced by appreciation. "In fact, they seemed to have taken one of your carvings for their household god."

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#133 Post by Stonjuz »

"Poor thing's been here since a hatchling, fellas. We should take him to the upper lakes and show him the fishing up there. Not sure if'n he can handle the temperatures though. I knew we should have brought a stringer."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by saalaria »

ragnboneshopper wrote:Thurinor smiles widely at Swilbosh and says, "Yes, we ran into your neighbors, I presume. The small ones have a vicious spit, do they not?" Thurinor resumes looking through Swilbosh's handiwork, but with his former suspicion replaced by appreciation. "In fact, they seemed to have taken one of your carvings for their household god."
Swilbosh notices the pelt on Stonejuz' pack:

"ah good, good...when you sssay 'ran into' - thisss alssso meansss 'kill'. Yess? I have much to learn with thisss language! I have 'ran into' the ssssmall onesss ssseveral timesss too. May be you sssee their sssskins outsssside?"
He stops and thinks, then:
"You asssk about the small human upssstairs?" With this he stands and approaches Stoney. He pauses and flicks his tongue out several times as if he is tasting the air.

"he lookssss like you but yet issss different. You are warm, he isss cold - he hass no....." he pauses and scratches his snout as if in thought "....ssssorry know not the word in your tongue. You have more questions?"

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#135 Post by Stonjuz »

saalaria wrote: I have 'ran into' the ssssmall onesss ssseveral timesss too. ......"You asssk about the small human upssstairs?" With this he stands and approaches Stoney. He pauses and flicks his tongue out several times as if he is tasting the air....."he lookssss like you but yet issss different. You are warm, he isss cold - he hass no....." he pauses and scratches his snout as if in thought "....ssssorry know not the word in your tongue. You have more questions?"
Without trying to patronize purposely, Stonjuz tries to get the creature to communicate the words.
"When iss timess next you seeeeess the ssmall oness? When do you go again?
As the conversations continue, the dwarf will also ask ,....
"Cold, not warm likess uss you ssayss? What isss itss dangerss? Can we run into it?"
And also,...
"I no sspeakss for the otherss, but I likess magic. Swilbosh, you likess magicsssssss?"

zebediah
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#136 Post by zebediah »

"Say Swilbosh, how much do you know about this region beyon the lake and the swamp?"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#137 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Absentmindedly, Thurinor accidently takes a huge swallow of Swilbosh's magic lake water into his mouth, then looks around uncomfortably, unsure what to do about it. He sidles over to the boat as if to inspect it and at an opportune moment lets the water spill from his mouth into the water. If anyone notices, he turns and shrugs: "I think I saw a fish jump," he says.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#138 Post by saalaria »

Stonjuz wrote:
saalaria wrote: I have 'ran into' the ssssmall onesss ssseveral timesss too. ......"You asssk about the small human upssstairs?" With this he stands and approaches Stoney. He pauses and flicks his tongue out several times as if he is tasting the air....."he lookssss like you but yet issss different. You are warm, he isss cold - he hass no....." he pauses and scratches his snout as if in thought "....ssssorry know not the word in your tongue. You have more questions?"
Without trying to patronize purposely, Stonjuz tries to get the creature to communicate the words.
"When iss timess next you seeeeess the ssmall oness? When do you go again?
As the conversations continue, the dwarf will also ask ,....
"Cold, not warm likess uss you ssayss? What isss itss dangerss? Can we run into it?"
And also,...
"I no sspeakss for the otherss, but I likess magic. Swilbosh, you likess magicsssssss?"

"if I sssee the ssssmall onessss, we fight so I hope not sssoon! The ssssmall human I am...hmmm...me ssseen oncce and not again. You go if want. Ussse laddder in my fisssh room. What is 'magicssss'?"

He turns to Ogridor:

"I fisssh in the lake and go to where the ssssmall ones are sssometimes. There are many many treesss acrosssss the lake but that isss a bad place. I not go there many many yearsss. Where are you going?"

ragnboneshopper
Ranger
Ranger

#139 Post by ragnboneshopper »

Thurinor recovers quickly from his embarrassing moment. "I for one would like to see this...small human...up close. Is he dangerous? Has he had a spell cast...hmm, a dark dream laid on him by a...er, uh...shaman, witch doctor, medicine man?" Thurinor searches for concepts that might be more familiar to Swilbosh than terms such as magic, spells, and sorcery.

Stonjuz
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#140 Post by Stonjuz »

Stonjuz eyes the skins that Swillbosh has been gathering. What does he use them for? If anything catches the dwarf's eye....he will offer the skin that he carries, point at the item and say...
"Here. Take this. How much time to make me one of those?"

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”