IC Chapter 1: A Fateful Gathering

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

Re: IC Chapter 1: A Fateful Gathering

#121 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

Conrad keeps his hidden position in the undergrowth watching the path to make sure the party isn't surprised while they search the structure. He can not help but to shake his head. He expected Toldir to be familiar with his tactics by now.

Lordbridge
Strider
Strider

#122 Post by Lordbridge »

Nimbus waits behind the brush cover while his armed associates approach. He eyes the remaining structure, wary of any portion that might collapse.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#123 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Seeing no obvious signs of danger, Nast moves forward, ever alert, and signalling back to Toldir to follow. As the pair reaches the opening, they can clearly see inside and open sky is visible beyond. Rubble is heaped 4-5' high in most places - the remains of the upper story, now collapsed and lying in ruin. While not likely to collapse further on it's own, the debris does look like it will be risky to climb, though it could certainly be attempted with caution and care.

Lying atop the piled rubble in some places, buried underneath in others are the shattered fragments of the carved marble columns that Nast caught glimpses of from outside. It looks like they once lined an inner courtyard, now clogged withe the remains of the surrounding walls. Any path forward into the building would wind among the piles, or risk climbing over them. Around the inner perimeter are a few visible openings, either broken through the walls by falling columns, or looking like they once held doors.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#124 Post by VonAlric »

Toldir

Seeing no immediate threat, he turns and waves his companions behind him to move forward. He then begins to look for signs of any creature or person who may have come through here in the last several days. [Tracking Skill]
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by tibbius »

Nast moves carefully forward among the rubble piles, still listening for noise and moving silently to his best ability. Arrow ready, he scans for motion. And for any sign of a fountain or spring with healing water.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#126 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

After waving the others on, Toldir turns his attention to the ground around and just within the entrance, hoping to find some sign of either the missing youngster from the village, or the scout who went missing looking for the boy. Unfortunately, the rough ground refuses to reveal such secrets. Between the bare patches of dirt, scattered rocks and rubble, and stone tiles, the ranger can find no clear sign of those he seeks. At least in this area.

Nast does his best to stay quiet and listen for any sounds of trouble as he begins to move deeper into the ruin. The initial entrance "hall" is an area about 20' wide and is open, with only scattered rubble aside from the smashed doors. About 25 feet in from the open doorway the way further in is mostly blocked by a larger pile of rubble and one of the broken columns lying across it. To it's left (north) end is a gap just a few feet wide between the end of the fallen column and the still-standing wall. At the right end is a larger gap of 5-6" width where you can get around on that side.

All around you, the remaining walls are cut and fitted stone, still standing 10-12' high for the most part, though broken and jagged at the tops. The outer walls were about 2' thick, the inner ones perhaps half that. From what remains, you can see that much of the upper portion was wooden, with heavy timbers that once supported a second story floor and a roof above. Those wooden beams are broken and tumbled among the stone and other rubble.

I will be at a local con the next four days (TotalCon in Marlborough, MA) so most likely not very active here. If I can post something quick, I may, but don't expect too much activity until I'm back after the weekend. Thanks!

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by tibbius »

Nast moves to the wider gap at the right side of the rubble pile, still holding his bow at the ready, trying to signal Toldir with a shrug and head-jerk to come along after him. He does not speak. So far as he knows, his feet fall carefully and noiselessly amid the scattered pebbles and twigs on the floor of the ruined temple.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

sirravd

#128 Post by sirravd »

Kothar continues to wait momentarily outside the entrance, greatsword at the ready, positioned just out of sight of anyone within.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#129 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

Conrad continues to watch from the underbrush, his intent is to alert the party if anyone approaches while they search.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#130 Post by VonAlric »

Toldir

Seeing Nast motion, Toldir waves the others on and begins to follow after the woodsman, picking his way carefully after him.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Lordbridge
Strider
Strider

#131 Post by Lordbridge »

Nimbus

Nimbus stepped forward, leaving ample space between himself and Toldir but remaining in eyesight. He kept close to the remaining pillars and walls to screen himself from view.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#132 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Nast moves cautiously ahead, followed by Toldir. The scout and ranger, both accustomed to stalking through the woods, make little noise as they go. From his concealment, Conrad still gets no sense of danger or watchers outside the ruin - indeed, as the party has moved to stealth-mode, the sounds of the natural wildlife is beginning to return. Awaiting a further signal from Nast, Kothar holds his position at the entrance as Nimbus moves to join him there.

Nast's chosen path has him skirting around a large pile of rubble and fallen columns as he hugs the right hand wall. Moving ahead perhaps 20 feet, he has a better view into the interior of the complex. To his left is a smaller gap/path back across the central courtyard to the far side - more rumbled walls, fallen columns and debris - with no visible access into that side of the building without climbing over the rubble. The wall to his right is similar - no open doorways or openings offer easy passage through on that side either.
Ahead is another matter. You now have a clear view of an interior structure, built in completely differently than the rest of the complex. A boxy structure of smooth, polished black marble fills much of the far end of the larger complex. The walls are ~12' high and appear undamaged, in stark contrast to the rest of the destruction. You see no doors or windows on the side facing you. Also visible now over the rubble still between you and it, you can see what appears to be the head of a statue - a bull's head and human shoulders...

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by tibbius »

Nast waits for Toldir to come up even with him. Then mutters, "Should you take the lead? I'll keep my bow trained on the bull-man-statue over there in case it moves. I've heard stranger tales."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#134 Post by VonAlric »

Toldir

"Okay, keep me covered."

Toldir turns to the rest of the group and waves them on and points to the ground where he is at. He does this twice before turning back to the opening. Adjusting his shield a little and gripping his sword, he moves towards the marble building and the statue between them.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#135 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Working in conjunction, the pair of scouts advance carefully. Nast moves forward slightly to have a clear line of sight to the statue. As he moves, the figure is fully revealed - an over-sized bestial humanoid with the body of a man but the head of a bull. It stands some 8' tall and in it's hands it bears an equally-oversized axe. Anyone of Traladaran descent is of course familiar with the legends of your people and how centuries earlier King Halav united the people in the face of a great invasion of beastmen out of the mountains to the north. Perhaps the statue depicts one of those fearsome beasts.

Once Nast is in place, Toldir moves up and past him, weapon in hand and sees the statue himself, about 20' away. His viewpoint however, as he moves around the piled debris, reveals another, more gruesome sight. Lying crumpled on the open ground about halfway between your position and the statue is the body of a man in mottled hunting leathers, obviously dead, dried blood in a pool around him and a gaping wound visible in his chest even from where you stand.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by tibbius »

Nast watches Toldir move smoothly past him, then come to an abrupt stop. Edging forward, he gets a glimpse over Toldir's shoulder of what caused the other man to halt. It is the first dead human Nast has ever seen. He gags, then does a double take at the blood-smeared face. The corpse is that of ... can't remember name of his friend who preceded him here
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#137 Post by VonAlric »

Toldir

Hearing the gag, Toldir startles a little. He speaks in a soft tone. "Nast, get the others over here. I'll keep an eye out until they get here."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#138 Post by tibbius »

Nast relaxes his bow and hastens back to the gates of the temple, holding the arrow to the string with his right hand as he waves his left hand in a "hurry up" motion toward the others in the group.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#139 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

Conrad appears out of the undergrowth and quickly moves up to Nast looking at him expectantly.

Lordbridge
Strider
Strider

#140 Post by Lordbridge »

Nimbus

Nimbus moves forward, not scurrying with any great haste but instead moving purposefully from one bit of cover in the ruined building to another. His right hand is in a pouch on his belt.

Return to “Adventures in the Known World (BX)”