IC Chapter 1: A Fateful Gathering

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: IC Chapter 1: A Fateful Gathering

#81 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Skerric nods. "Most of the folk passing through have at least heard rumors, but we get enough others, like you, who are just looking for adventure and drawn by the lure of the wood and it's hidden ruins. I expect you followed the remains of the old road in from the river? Used to be that we were the staging point for a healing temple dedicated to the Immortal Ariana. Brought in supplicants from all over the land. Well, some sort of calamity or attack occurred years ago - my grandpappy was a wee one and at this point most of what we know is just dim memories or rumors now. Our stories tell us that enough people died that we just stay clear of the cursed place. Know where it is, of course, but tend to just avoid it to be safe. Since then, we've carried on, trading timber or livestock, and playing host to treasure-seekers like yourselves.

He pauses, takes the measure of your group, your arms and armor, and Nimbus' studious appearance, and sighs. "So that's the back story. In any case, you've seen the aftermath of the goblin raid outside. They're more trouble in larger numbers, but we were able to fight them off without much trouble, as always, but for one thing. One of the older lads was hit by an arrow and is in a bad way. Not the wound itself, but it seems to have been poisoned with something. You saw the small shrine on your way in? Well normally, old Doni would be here and likely would have had a bit of magic to fix him up right quick, but as luck would have it, she ain't. Gone upriver to Kelvin and not due back for days yet." He shakes his head again. "Now a couple of the younger boys have gone missing. Tav's brother and a friend. Their mates finally admitted they'd gone off to the old temple to try and find some of the the "healing water" the place was known for. I sent one man after them and by now they all should have been back. NONE of them are. I could use someone with a bit more ability to go now and see what happened to them. Maybe you'll even be able to actually find something to help poor Tav. Are you up to it? We haven't much to offer in payment, but who knows what's still lying in the old temple.

sirravd

#82 Post by sirravd »

Kothar nods excitedly.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#83 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

The man smiles slightly, seemingly unsurprised at Kothar's quick acceptance."And the rest of you? Or is your eager companion going alone?"

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#84 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

"I'll go but before we leave could I see the wounded youth? My nanna taught me a little about herbs and healing and I may be able to slow the poison until we return."

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#85 Post by VonAlric »

Toldir

Smiling, he responds to Skerric. "Good sir, this is why I'm here. I want to make a name for myself and have adventures like my grandfather talked about. Besides, not everyone is able to protect themselves from the chaos of the wilds. Goblins, orcs, kobolds, other monsterous creatures care not for humans and wish to destroy us and each other. Adventurers give the average person a chance to feel safer in the land."

"So, yes, I'll assist in finding your missing people and maybe this temple has more to offer a person who will dare to explore."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Lordbridge
Strider
Strider

#86 Post by Lordbridge »

Nimbus nods slowly.

If my traveling companions agree, I will accompany them. I have no skill at arms, so I require some assistance. But if learned eyes are needed to find or identify any healin relics, I may be of some use.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#87 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

"Very well, then. If you came into town from the river, you likely saw a couple of farms that took some damage in the attack? Tav, the lad who was poisoned, is with his family at the place with the damaged roof. His mother is caring for him as best she can - keeping him comfortable and praying for some miracle at this point. Maybe you men are just that, the gods only know. It's only midday, and the old temple isn't far - only a mile or so. Not to push you, but the boy is in bad shape, as you'll see, so if you are willing to help, best not to waste any time."

Skerric calls over a man he briefly introduces as one of the village's huntsmen, and asks him to take you out to the old trail that remains of the road that led to the temple. He looks at you, and Nimbus in particular, with a bit of skepticism, but agrees and indicates he'll come to the farmhouse and meet you there so that you have time to examine Tav yourselves before you go.
Last edited by Koren n'Rhys on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#88 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

The halfling finishes the mug in his hand and takes a quick, but sorrowful, look at the food remaining on their table.

"We should not delay, the longer the poison is in his system the lower the chance of arresting it's progress."

Lordbridge
Strider
Strider

#89 Post by Lordbridge »

Nimbus put down his mug and nodded.

Let us see the poor fellow.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#90 Post by VonAlric »

Toldir

Toldir nods his assent. "Let's be quick about it. We may still have enough time to get the temple before it gets dark."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

sirravd

#91 Post by sirravd »

Kothar, too, assents.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#92 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

The matter decided, your group quickly finishes the last of your meals and you collect your things before returning the the village square and then heading back out of the village the way you'd entered. Following Skerric's direction, you soon are back at the damaged farm and approach the house along the lane leading to it from the road.

You are interrupted by a call from behind and look back to see the huntsman you'd been introduced to by Skerric, waving at your group and hurrying to catch up.

[Tibbius - jump on in and introduce yourself!]

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by tibbius »

The huntsman Nasturtium comes up to the group at an easy jog, breathing deeply but not panting. He's moderately tall and medium built, with long dark brown wavy hair and a pale, square jawed face. He wears a short bow, a quiver, a long sword, a dagger, boots, and leather armor dappled like the skin of a faun.

"Hey!" he says. "Skerric told me you are looking for the ancient temple. I've seen it, though I haven't gone very near. When you're ready to go, I can lead the way. ... By the way, you can call me Nasty."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#94 Post by VonAlric »

Toldir

"We welcome your assistance. Although I probably could figure out the way and track things, having a guide is always better. Waste less time and all that. Good to meet you. My name is Toldir."

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#95 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

"Hello, Nasty my name is Conrad." The halfling waves to the newcomer and gives a genuine smile. "We were going to see the youth that was wounded and go from there."

Lordbridge
Strider
Strider

#96 Post by Lordbridge »

Nimbus raises an eyebrow, indicating he has no intention of ever addressing someone as "Nasty."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by tibbius »

"Tav's a good friend of mine," says Nasturtium. "It would be great if you could help him out!"
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

jason.connerley
Tracker
Tracker

#98 Post by jason.connerley »

Conrad

"Let us waste no more time. I picked up some herbs on the way here that will serve to make a healing poultice that I hope will help him."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#99 Post by tibbius »

Nasturtium leads the way to Tav's house.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#100 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Nast quickly leads the group the rest of the way to the farmhouse, where he pauses and knocks on the door. The signs of the earlier raid by the goblins is readily apparent by the damage to the house - burnt patches on the roof, and broken and boarded over windows. After a moment the door is opened to reveal the broad figure of an older man who Nast recognizes as Master Lofton, the farmholder. After some quick introductions, you are ushered inside and to a cot where a teenage boy lies, asleep or unconscious. He does not look well at all, sheened in sweat and sickly white.
"So do you think you can do anything to help my boy, Conrad? The village midwife did what she could to ease his pain, and we've patched up the wound from the arrow, but he only gotten worse."

Return to “Adventures in the Known World (BX)”