Inter-character actions and conversations:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Inter-character actions and conversations:

#1 Post by Spearmint »

This is your forum to chit chat and scheme together with In-character conversations and actions that can happen in downtime or between adventures or off duty. This is so that current adventure threads keep to related actions for that scenario.

So if Szmodics wants to get Rene to craft him a canoe, Rex take on Zog in the boxing ring or Ferrol to aid Siggard in some cannonball marinating to explore new spells, etc, etc,.this is the place.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Inter-character actions and conversations:

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard seeks out Szmodics, in a place of ill repute no doubt.

"I have heard that you obtained a magical parchment in your travels, crewmen. Do you have a use for it? Or are you willing to parlay?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Stirling »

Szmodics

Is found in the Freeport grotto, hawking silverware to some henna decorated maidens. He is spinning some gypsy yarn regarding the virtues gained from just a sip of red wine drank from the cusp of the goblet he holds to the sun. It twinkles in the sunlight, refracting rainbow colours from glassy decals. "It can enhance the most flaccid of mules to become some roaring stallion. Let your menfolk taste of it if you dare. Yours madam for just a few gold and a kiss for the bold knave who enlightens ...." They giggle as if charmed but suddenly flit away as the mage and Van de Poel approach.

"Alstublieft." he says in Haldane and offers some wine and a seat on the grass.

As the conversation gets round to the scroll he shares, "Fascinating, having a gift for magic and arcane scripts. Use it? It can be a tool in the right hands, of course it has value but with me it remains just pretty calligraphy. I got it deciphered. A bit like your bag of tricks, bringing a beast to do your will. Summoning monsters and flying away. At least I think that is what he meant. Would you like to fly somewhere?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#4 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sig enjoys the wine and strange company as he continues the conversation. Gin doesn't speak, but watches the movements and expressions of Szmodics closely.

"You know, friend, learning those incantations is not an easy task. It takes much skill of mind and even more patience to get the nuances perfectly. Especially when they are penned in another's hand."

"But, once I do learn a new one, I am often able to not only cast them upon myself, to do all manner of amazing things, but I may also be able to cast them on my fellow crewmates!"
The sly mage crescendos this last statement dramatically for effect.

"So! The real question would be.........Would YOU, sir, like to fly somewhere?"

The mage finishes with a charismatic wide smile.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Stirling »

Szmodics

"Well I've not thought too much about where to go to but knowing I could fly from somewhere could be very useful in a tight spot." The rogue considers future possibilities with a returned smile.

"Holding on to the scroll is vanity. Sure selling the script is worth a few gold for the powers it bestows. I am sure though future endeavours with the spell craft aiding us can be a more fruitful and profitable enterprise. I will send it to your desk when you have time to study it. I too have some studies to do."

Szmo figures that circa 100gp per spell level would be about 700gp face value for the scroll. Flying away from some jewel heist with a sack full while some beastie takes down the guards could be worth 100 times that.

Scroll of spells: Summon Monster II and Fly. He will pass it to Siggard sometime before we depart the island and close his furlough on shore.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by shaidar »

One day, after settling in to the ship, Alderhay seeks out Iggway

"Mistress Iggway, I noted that you are rather familiar with snakes and I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I am looking for the means to concoct some substances with soporific effects, that might be useful when applied to weaponry"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard attempts to find time to assemble together Alderhay and Ferrol to discuss the captains latest request about finding a way to stop other ships artillery fire from damaging the McGregor. He serves good wine that he purchesed in town as they discuss things, to both lessen the preassure and also loosen the tongue.

“Gentlemen, Cap’n Laz and Mr. Perryman have put us to the test once again. I have been called upon before in this manner, when I created my first original spell. Perhaps you have heard of the Hags Mist? Well, no matter, because the two of you have now been charged to help with this next creation as well.”

“They want us to put our minds together to come up with a new way to shield the ship from oncoming missile attacks. Now, I have a good idea how we could start this project, but I am willing........nay, eager to hear anything either of you would add or any original ideas you might have too.”

“I believe this particular project will require a modified version of the Shield spell, which I currently do not know. Are either of you willing to discuss the option of sharing our magical spells between the three of us? Because once we are back out at sea, we should have plenty of time for expanding our spell books. I’m sure I have some things that you would like to learn, and I am hoping the same can be said about your lists.”

“So what say you, friends? Do we have an accord?”

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#8 Post by Hotgoblin »

Mistress Iggway, I noted that you are rather familiar with snakes and I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I am looking for the means to concoct some substances with soporific effects, that might be useful when applied to weaponry"
Yes Alderhay, I believe I can accommodate your request...I believe there’s a Coral snake in my terrarium, we could milk it...I’ve also identified Rodger Dodger’s concoctions, they may prove useful on weaponry as well!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by shaidar »

Alderhay

"That sounds very interesting. I'd be quite happy to help milk the snakes and learn more about them, and I would owe you a favour, of course. I've come into possession of a dart-pistol which I think would make make a very effective means of delivering such substances"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Siggard attempts to find time to assemble together Alderhay and Ferrol to discuss the captains latest request about finding a way to stop other ships artillery fire from damaging the McGregor. He serves good wine that he purchesed in town as they discuss things, to both lessen the preassure and also loosen the tongue.

“Gentlemen, Cap’n Laz and Mr. Perryman have put us to the test once again. I have been called upon before in this manner, when I created my first original spell. Perhaps you have heard of the Hags Mist? Well, no matter, because the two of you have now been charged to help with this next creation as well.”

“They want us to put our minds together to come up with a new way to shield the ship from oncoming missile attacks. Now, I have a good idea how we could start this project, but I am willing........nay, eager to hear anything either of you would add or any original ideas you might have too.”

“I believe this particular project will require a modified version of the Shield spell, which I currently do not know. Are either of you willing to discuss the option of sharing our magical spells between the three of us? Because once we are back out at sea, we should have plenty of time for expanding our spell books. I’m sure I have some things that you would like to learn, and I am hoping the same can be said about your lists.”

“So what say you, friends? Do we have an accord?”
Alderhay enjoys the free wine

"I'm always interested in the reciprocated sharing of spells. As for the Shield spell, it has recently come into my possession. It will be an interesting challenge to extend it's limited AoE and duration to make it suitable to protect a ship, but it's a challenge I'm up for"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#11 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard nods at Alderhay’s comments.

“Excellent. And I agree. But I too have recently acquired a new incantation that might just help us out with that.”

“I can now create a thick series of sticky strands that resemble spider webs. These webs will cover a much larger area than any shield ever could. I intend to experiment with this magic, to see if I can create something similar to a web, but better suited for the captains current needs. I grabbed a handful of that thick kelp that entwined around the jetty’s back in town. I am going to experiment with it, dry it out, mix it with other reagents, stretch it, even taste it, to learn everything I can about its properties.”

“If I can create a blanket of kelp, instead of the webs, I think it would be far better suited for shielding us from enemy ballista, especially fiery ammunition. If that can be accomplished, I would like to try infusing the kelp wall with the shielding properties of your spell, to see if we can make it even stronger.”

“Now, if anyone was able to make the whole thing even larger, say by using enlargement magic upon it as well, then we might actually come up with something that can protect one entire side of our vessel. Well, at least the most important parts, anyway.”

Im just tossing out ideas here. I haven’t actually cleared any of this with Spearmint yet. So, hopefully, if this is too far fetched an idea, it will at least spark a few thoughts of other avenues we could attempt.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

Starts hitting up the cleric types on board. Hey, I have an ingot of silver that I need to have blessed for Al, I'm going to make him some silver miniballs for his new pistol... Also, if anyone is needing a good price on firearms in the future, I am the man to come to.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by shaidar »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Siggard nods at Alderhay’s comments.

“Excellent. And I agree. But I too have recently acquired a new incantation that might just help us out with that.”

“I can now create a thick series of sticky strands that resemble spider webs. These webs will cover a much larger area than any shield ever could. I intend to experiment with this magic, to see if I can create something similar to a web, but better suited for the captains current needs. I grabbed a handful of that thick kelp that entwined around the jetty’s back in town. I am going to experiment with it, dry it out, mix it with other reagents, stretch it, even taste it, to learn everything I can about its properties.”

“If I can create a blanket of kelp, instead of the webs, I think it would be far better suited for shielding us from enemy ballista, especially fiery ammunition. If that can be accomplished, I would like to try infusing the kelp wall with the shielding properties of your spell, to see if we can make it even stronger.”

“Now, if anyone was able to make the whole thing even larger, say by using enlargement magic upon it as well, then we might actually come up with something that can protect one entire side of our vessel. Well, at least the most important parts, anyway.”

Im just tossing out ideas here. I haven’t actually cleared any of this with Spearmint yet. So, hopefully, if this is too far fetched an idea, it will at least spark a few thoughts of other avenues we could attempt.
Alderhay seems energised by all of the technical mage talk

"It might be useful to retain some of the flexibility and adhesive properties of the web to a certain extent, to cushion the missile and stop it bouncing off in random directions. This is far more interesting than the dry lectures at the college"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Ferrol

Ferrol swirls his wine, letting it breathe. "A regular guild of mages we seem to have here. Yes, exposing each other to our own creations can only be beneficial."

He sips and savors the wine. "The kelp web is a fine idea. Locally sourced and all that. Enlarged and infused with a shield spell. Yes, I can see that." He muses for a bit. "Might there be a way to simply deflect all normal missiles? Some of the elders mentioned a warrior who was impervious to such things."

He leans in conspiratorially. "I have even heard tales of...cooperative magics. Cast by multiple people to achieve a greater effect."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#15 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sig enjoys the intellectual conversation of his current company, finding it much more agreeable to him than all the usual chest pounding and huge foreheads of the others on the crew. He continues adding ideas to the mix.

"Indeed gentlemen, great ideas all around. Captain Lazarus specifically mentioned that he wanted to prevent fiery missiles from hitting the ship, causing damage to sail and rigging. And himself. That was one of the reasons I was thinking about modifying the webs, which are flammable, to the watery kelp, which most assuredly would not ignite."

"As to your complete deflection idea, I had thought of that as well, though I believe that incantation is out of my mental reach at this time. If you know more than I about it, please continue. I don't intend to be the sole voice of our little band, just the senior member of the crew."

"My main concern about the protection from normal missiles, is that it only accounts for arrows and the like, not ballista, catapult stones, or cannon fire. Unless you have an idea for that as well, master Ferrol?"

"Once we have something more concrete, we can bring our ideas to Mr. Perryman. Perhaps he could indulge us a bit more on the cooperative magics you spoke of."

The mage pours another as soon as either glass is anywhere close to empty.

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”