Expedition: Foxy/Monoc Mages - 15 October

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Foxy/Monoc Mages - 15 October

#21 Post by Leitz »

Arlen rolled not so well on the starting GP, and his armor selection shows it. If we're doing hilly terrian, then putting the packs and loads on the horses, so the afoot can move full speed, would make more sense.

As to healing and survivability, it could be an issue. However, depending on our Fearless Leader's wisdom, or willingness to consult with those who are wise, we may do a recon first. If things get too heavy then pull back and rework the plan. That may actually be a wiser course anyway; Foxy might need the reputation of "someone travelled with her and actually survived!" :lol:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Zhym »

Leitz wrote:However, depending on our Fearless Leader's wisdom, or willingness to consult with those who are wise . . . .
Have you read any of Foxy's previous expeditions? She makes Lug look cautious and careful. :)

But, yes—the only way we survive this (and I'd really like for Pendleton to survive) is through caution, planning, and as much advance scouting as we can muster. Pendleton's invisibility spells might help, but we're going against mages, so they may have ways of detecting invisible creatures. One of the reasons I was hoping for higher level NPC recruits, aside from the obvious, is that they'd have access to the Augury spell. But that's out.

Speaking of going against mages: we know that they can cast Sleep. That's going to be a problem with so many of our PCs and NPCs below level 4. I'm not sure what we can do about that, though.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Leitz »

Zhym wrote:Speaking of going against mages: we know that they can cast Sleep. That's going to be a problem with so many of our PCs and NPCs below level 4. I'm not sure what we can do about that, though.
Yeah, I'm not sure Arlen would live down the reputation: "slept with Foxy" :shock:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Zhym »

Would it be too metagamey to ask in advance how many of our number would be susceptible to a Sleep spell? I think Foxy and Pendleton are immune, and maybe Neegan? Everyone else could be put out of commission with a single casting, I think.

I may be overly cautious, but I remember a different game where a single enemy MU wiped out an entire low-level party just because of one Sleep spell. No one made their saves, so the MU was able to kill everyone at his leisure. Game over.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to protect against a sleep spell, short of items that give bonuses to saving throws.

And that's just Sleep. Let's just hope none of the Monoc Mages know Fireball.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Leitz »

Zhym wrote:Would it be too metagamey to ask in advance how many of our number would be susceptible to a Sleep spell?
From an in-game perspective, Arlen has the habits of a seasoned campaigner, but he's still only fifteen. That might answer part of your question. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zhym »

Arlen's a brand-new PC, so I'm pretty sure I know what level he is. :)

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by Bluetongue »

Roybarb

The elf spell-blade looks at the assembled crew. "We don't know what we are up against yet. They have hell-hounds trained and raised the dead, put some farmers to sleep and charmed the druid boy. I would expect some form of guards and some traps, illusions. For my own account, I would like to investigate their research into the Zhint relics. For defence against spells, staying out of range or casting silence on them. Most spells are verbally enacted, so having plenty of forceful silence placed upon them first. "

She offers her little wisdom and is eager to set off once the equipping the party is finished.

'Sleep' might be the least of our worries. If you go under I'll wake you with a good kicking!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

I'd forgotten about animating the dead (it was animating, right? Not raising them?). I hope that was from a device, because it's a 3rd-level spell which means they have at least one 5th-level cleric on their side.

Are we sure Foxy wouldn't rather just explore some nearby hexes instead of taking on mages? ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: OOC: Being clear, you're actually stealing Ludwig's horse? (He's not giving it up willingly.) You also need to find ponies for the two dwarves or they walk. (though, if you're actually robbing the Dwarf Hall stables, you could steal these, too.) Who takes part in that scene? I need IC actions.
  • Foxy (with warhorse Galavan)
  • Arlen, human fighter
  • Pendleton Kettleworth, Archmage of the Guild (with Heroditus the riding horse)
  • Roybarb, elf apprentice of Hagaseth (with riding horse)
  • Neegan Battleworx, dwarf of renown
  • Gundri Gundrudson, dwarven axebearer
  • Tocen, bowman (with riding horse) [NPC]
  • Brielle, bowwoman (with riding horse) [NPC]
  • Nigel, cleric of Eruanna (with large pony) [NPC]
  • Colby, cleric of Eruanna (with large pony) [NPC]
Ten stalwart souls, setting out westward for adventure...
*Bump*

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton isn't having any part of horse thievery. If Foxy is intent on that, we need an IC action on how that's going to happen, so we can see if other PCs can talk her out of it—or reconsider their decisions to travel with her.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Leitz »

Am I the only one who thinks this might need to be reconsidered? Arlen wouldn't steal a horse, and it would bother him a bit once he found out.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Stirling »

Foxy planned a mounted expedition. Hence travelling lightweight for hit and run tactics with mounted bowmen. I asked before that it seems reasonable if Arlen has been seconded by Brother Mylo to assist Foxy then it makes sense for him to have a mount, as do the other brethren.

Even if Drunil is unwilling to provide ponies for the dwarves, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask folk to get a mount.

Foxy would RP taking Ludwig's mount or packhorse with Arlen as it solves his issue but that was prior to Brother Mylo sending extra guys with Pendleton and it just makes sense as Arlen is also sent, for him to be equally equipped.

I appreciate folk rolling characters and commuting to explore. I really do. I just think expecting characters to be mounted is reasonable and I hope it is not a problem for anyone.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

Everyone having mounts makes sense (although I'm not sure what difference it will make in our rate of travel—Marullus? What's the rule on how horses affect daily travel rates?). Assuming everyone has mounts, or stealing a mount so that everyone has one, does not make sense.

A flighty draft horse and saddle are 80 gp. A battle-familiar riding horse and saddle are 140 gp. Either are probably outside the budget of most starting PCs. I assume Foxy doesn't have enough money to buy a couple of horses?

Also: I'm not sure horses would let us use "hit and run" tactics, or that hit and run tactics would be useful. Mages have ranged spells that work just as well when we're riding away (with our backs turned!) as when we're near them.

If we can't buy two more horses, I suggest using the ones we have to make sure the pedestrians are as unencumbered as possible.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Leitz »

If we're in rough mountains, horses can become a liability. Lots of food and water required, and places they can't go that a person can. There are rugged mountain breeds, but it seems like the dwarves just got here and won't share any, and most normal horses make more noise and take flight faster than a person. Well, some people, anyway. At least you can tell a person to be quiet. :)

It seems as if there's some planning lacking; am I missing more than my usual clue?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Leitz »

Thanks all, I'm stepping out of the game. Enjoy!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Marullus »

Horses and ponies and people all have the same base movement - having horses for long journies makes it easier to carry loads so you move at full speed when most parties move at 1/2 to 3/4 speed. If you have ONLY riding horses (no war horses, draft horses or ponies) move 25% faster. With the number of mounts in your party you could spread out your gear and have the group ride/walk at full speed easily.

Foxy O'Hare has a dubious interaction with the King and then struggles with logistics and dissent, trying to get her expedition back on track without the help she hoped for. As per her usual, she has plenty of wine as she figures things out in the Tavern.

Sir Bentley Breissenbeam, Emissary to King Drunil from the Knights of Baudhil, finds Foxy as she mulls the bottom of her wine glass.
b48e0421874326f3f197681d0532b904--knights-hospitaller-knights-templar.jpg
b48e0421874326f3f197681d0532b904--knights-hospitaller-knights-templar.jpg (16.29 KiB) Viewed 1213 times
"Greetings, Flame of the North," he says genteelly, seating himself. He explains quietly that word reached him of her troubles and he presents himself to offer her aid. "The Knights support your desire to seek the end of these child sacrifices and I am authorized to offer you a bargain. I can loan you enough riding horses for your party to simplify and speed your progress. In return, my cleric will identify and claim one item of our choice when you return the horses and before you divvy within your party. Is it agreed?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Zhym »

Are the others around to kibitz on that offer? Do we all need to agree to giving up the first pick of the treasure, or is that a decision Foxy can make unilaterally?

Personally, I think first pick of the loot is too high a price for a horse or two. We just lost Arlen, so it's now only Neegan and Grundi that need mounts, right? We should be able to move loads around enough so that they move at full speed. The benefit from additional horses just isn't worth what they're asking, IMO.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Marullus »

It is an IC scene, aimed at Foxy. It is Stirling's discretion if she is drinking with others that night. Also, whether she makes an immediate decision or brings it to the group.

IC, I think Foxy has firmly established her leadership of this expedition. If you're not IC following, that should be addressed IC (or IC reconsider). Pendleton carefully caveated his participation (properly IC), and some critical advice is expected. But he did decide to go. It is long-standing practice that if there's IC dissent, I (as DM) go with what the lead named on the thread decides.

OOC, I would ask we be mindful. OOC kibitzing can be demoralizing. These are IC threads and I would like to see them be mostly IC. (That's why I am always redirecting, asking for IC Actions when the thread gets too red.)

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Dram »

Neegan will purchase these items before leaving with Foxy

Pony: 1 x 30gp= 30gp
Saddle: 1 x 25gp=25gp
Saddle Bags: 2 x 4sp= 8sp
Holy Water: 6 x 1gp= 6gp
Water Skin: 1 x 1gp= 1gp
Rations: 14 x 6 sp = 8gp 4 sp
Feed: 14 x 6 cp = 8 sp 4 cp
Winter blanket: 6 sp
Fur cloak: 9 gp 6 sp
Total: 72 gp, 8 sp, 8 cp
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"It seems my words keep Lord Bremen awake at night. Tossing and fretting in his sleep while his world collapses around him. So he has pulled strings and the puppet dances to his tune. These 'items of choice' I seek to recover walk and talk. Would Bremen rob me of my bounty or seek esoteric knowledge to further is own diabolic schemes. You would loan me a horse but keep a dragon. The Mages of Monoc will be brought into the light and their plans exposed to all. Send your cleric with us. He can interrogate any we arrest all he likes as we return.

Should he share in the risk, he may share equally in any reward or trove we find. Can we agree on that?"

Foxy has doubts regarding LC Bremen and the goings on at the White Tower, principally with Dirk and the aforementioned 'infernal influences' that surround him. Her IC feelings of course. She would be reluctant to enter any formal agreement that trades horses for Monoc relics or arcane knowledge. At least Pendleton submits to a guild and authority, Bremen submits to no figure.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”