[Closed] 3, On the Road: Arriving at Beiden Pass

Starbeard
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 3, On the Road: Arriving at Beiden Pass

#201 Post by Starbeard »

Starbeard wrote:
ffilz wrote:Hmm, either we ride like the wind or we go down heroically... What are the honor ramifications of the shugenja riding like the wind? May not look good for my servant either...
I don't think retreating in this particular case warrants any loss of honor, even if you blatantly desert. The bushi are supposed to protect you with their lives, and the court shugenja is definitely their superior anyway. Now, if you choose to run while the shugenja stays, that might count as deserting, since he's your superior too.

The GM Guide doesn't list cowardice or desertion in the honor loss table, other than perhaps "betraying a trust" which would be 2-4 points for a Unicorn. I'll say that in this case, if you desert by yourself and are found out later, then that would cause a glory loss of 3-6 points, which will automatically hit your honor by the same amount.
Actually, I've just rolled up the Honor rank for Nasu's court shugenja on a table (rolled a 3% chance for Rank 4!) and made his reaction roll based off that: it looks like he has no qualms fighting with his men, and turns to face the rear goblins. He orders the two bushi to close around and prepares a scroll for an entangling spell against the rear goblins. You are welcome to stay and fight for as long as you can help, but it's clear that somebody has to escape to send word that goblins are in the pass.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#202 Post by ffilz »

If I bolt, would Saburo be able to keep up? I could also cover his retreat so he can pass on word, or does it make most sense for Senichi to assure that word gets through? Senichi isn't going to just abandon honor to save himself, but doing the right thing to get the word out is clearly a must.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Starbeard »

I would say he can, if he takes off immediately. Otherwise it will be a contest against any goblins who choose to pursue.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#204 Post by ffilz »

Ok, so I think Senichi and Saburo flee to try and get the word through. Senichi will fall behind Saburo to give him the best chance of getting through.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Rex »

Kenta

Kenta strikes at the cultist who knifed him.

naginata [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 6 [1d10] = 6 [1d10] = 1 [1d10] = 5
Total 26

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#206 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko pushes through the pain, focusing hard on making a second strike while she has the upper hand. With the old woman bloodlusted and Aiko's left arm crippled, Aiko feels she must put her adversary down before the woman has the chance to turn the tables on her and gain the advantage.

Kenjutsu 6k3 -2k0 is 4k3 (no raises): [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 3,[1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 8

ooc: So 16. I'm hoping that's good enough to hit. I'll roll damage thinking it probably is and, assuming I do hit, will add void to the damage roll 4k2-2k0(wounds)+1k1(void)=3k3

Damage 4k2-2k0+1k1 void for 3k3: [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 10
Exploding 10s: [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 4

ooc: So that would be 34 damage! Nice! Let's hope it was a hit!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Starbeard »

Senichi
Imperial Highway, Beiden Pass [map]
Early Afternoon (Hour of the Horse)
"Death Day" in High Week, 4th of Long Month [calendar]
Weather is mostly pleasant and clear

Senichi and Saburo keep to their horses and make a break for it! The goblins seem oblivious, rushing headlong into the others while you escape. You hear the court shugenja rattling off a spell to encircle his party within a small moat of water, and then are around the bend and out of sight.

Do any goblins pursue? (1 in 3) [1d3] = 2 (No pursuit).

You are now heading along the road north/east. The castle is back south/west, but that way is cut off by a small horde of goblins. Soft Wind Village, where you stayed the other night, is the next stop ahead, still a couple of hours' ride away.

You can always take to the dense woods on either side of the Imperial Highway to double back to the castle, but the valley shoulders are very steep (your horse should be fine for simple riding, but Saburo will almost certainly have to dismount and walk), and there's no telling what you might encounter on the way.

Actions?

登場人物
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 4k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;2, Wnds (4) -2;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F2/3 - A2 - W3 - E2 (double heal rate)
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, Init +1, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;7 - Gl 0;0 - Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Starbeard »

The Rest of the Party
Eta Compound near Soft Wind Village, Beiden Pass [map]
"Evening Day" in High Week, 3rd of Long Month [calendar]

Still waiting to hear back from others besides Kinkajou and Rex.

This actually gives us a good opportunity to try out the combat turn order BTB:

In a live game, everyone rolls initiative first, then we go around the table declaring actions from worst to best roll—that way, the higher your initiative, the more you know what's going on before you have to decide what to do (it's a clever mechanic, as long as there aren't too many combatants). Then, after all actions are declared, everyone takes their turn in initiative order as usual, from best to worst.

With that in mind, here are everyone's initiative rolls:
Osaru initiative: [1d10+3] = 10+3 = 1310's reroll: [1d10] = 7 … 20

Old Mother Maho-tsukai Initiative: [1d10] = 1010's reroll: [1d10] = 9 … 19

Kenta (2k1 for using pole arm, -2 penalty from wounds): [1d10+2] = 10+2 = 1210's reroll: [1d10] = 3 … 15 - 2 = 13
2nd roll: [1d10+2] = 8+2 = 10 … -2 = 8

Aiko initiative (-2 for wounds):
[1d10+3] = 10+3 = 1310's reroll: [1d10] = 1 … 14 - 2 = 12

Male Maho-tsukai #2 initiative: [1d10+2] = 9+3 = 12

Shōe initiative: [1d10+2] = 9+2 = 11

Maho-tsukai #1 initiative: [1d10+2] = 7+3= 10

Koga initiative: [1d10+2] = 7+2 = 9 … 9

Witch maho-tsukai initiative: (down, constrained): [1d10-1] = 2-1 = 1
So the turn order for this round is going to be:
  1. Osaru (attacking the Old Mother)
  2. Old Mother (bloodlusted, attacking Aiko)
  3. Kenta (attacking Maho-tsukai #1)
  4. Aiko (attacking the Old Mother) AND Maho-tsukai #2 (bloodlusted, attacking Aiko)
  5. Shōe (action?)
  6. Maho-tsukai #1 (bloodlusted, attacking Kenta)
  7. Koga (action?) (currently holding the wounded Witch)
  8. Witch (wounded, down, constrained by Koga)

Rex and Kinkajou may want to keep their current actions, but in the spirit of trying it out this round, I will let you both change your actions if you like, after seeing the initiative order.

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: TN10, Init +2, naginata 7k4 (DR 6k3) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (6) -2;3 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Kitsune Shōe, Fox shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 5k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 2;5, Wnds (4) -0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F2 - A2 - W2 - E2
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), Init +2, daisho 2k2/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 5k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;6, Wnds (4) -2;0 | Void Pts 1/2 (crippled left arm; double heal rate)
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), Init +3, katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7 Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
Last edited by Starbeard on Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#209 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru unsure of if the threat of the old woman is over will attack the next closest enemy.

iaijutsu [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 4
[1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 2
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Starbeard »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Osaru unsure of if the threat of the old woman is over will attack the next closest enemy.

iaijutsu [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 4
[1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 2 [1d10] = 2
Fortunately, that's going to be the old woman (who's closest? 1 = mother, 2 = first man, 3 = second man: [1d3] = 1).

Updated the turn order above.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#211 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:Senichi
Imperial Highway, Beiden Pass [map]
"Death Day" in High Week, 4th of Long Month [calendar]

Senichi and Saburo keep to their horses and make a break for it! The goblins seem oblivious, rushing headlong into the others while you escape. You hear the court shugenja rattling off a spell to encircle his party within a small moat of water, and then are around the bend and out of sight.

Do any goblins pursue? (1 in 3) [1d3] = 2 (No pursuit).

You are now heading along the road north/east. The castle is back south/west, but that way is cut off by a small horde of goblins. Soft Wind Village, where you stayed the other night, is the next stop ahead, still a couple of hours' ride away.

You can always take to the dense woods on either side of the Imperial Highway to double back to the castle, but the valley shoulders are very steep (your horse should be fine for simple riding, but Saburo will almost certainly have to dismount and walk), and there's no telling what you might encounter on the way.

Actions?

登場人物
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 4k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;2, Wnds (4) -2;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F2/3 - A2 - W3 - E2 (double heal rate)
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, Init +1, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;7 - Gl 0;0 - Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
How far back to the castle (just on the road, of course it will be longer with a detour)?

What kind of resources would be at the village?

Clearly we need to get a message through to the castle, but having escaped we need to make sure the message actually gets through. Is there any safe observation point where we could watch the fight? If the shujega and samurai do prevail, then one would assume they would head back to the castle to warn of the goblin activity, if they don't, I wouldn't want to go back down the road without a decent force. Either way, clearly we can't summon help in time to make a difference in the battle. The castle is most important to alert, but the village needs to be alerted also.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#212 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Starbeard wrote:Rex and Kinkajou may want to keep their current actions, but in the spirit of trying it out this round, I will let you both change your actions if you like, after seeing the initiative order.
I think I'll take you up on that and swap Aiko's action to attacking Maho-tsukai #2. I figure, given both the Old Mother and Maho-tsukai #2 are attacking Aiko and the Old Mother goes before Aiko, her only chances are that Osaru kills the Old Mother first, or she misses (I guess she might with the wound penalties), whereas Aiko could have an impact on the Maho-tsukai #2 attack.

I was going to ask if there was a tie-break (I had a vague recollection maybe it went on highest water rank) or if the actions would be simultaneous but then I noticed that the Maho-tsukai #2 initiative roll is [1d10+2] = 9+2 which equals 11 but is then written 9+3 = 12. So, I'm hoping you made a transcription error and Aiko goes first anyway.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote:How far back to the castle (just on the road, of course it will be longer with a detour)?

What kind of resources would be at the village?

Clearly we need to get a message through to the castle, but having escaped we need to make sure the message actually gets through. Is there any safe observation point where we could watch the fight? If the shujega and samurai do prevail, then one would assume they would head back to the castle to warn of the goblin activity, if they don't, I wouldn't want to go back down the road without a decent force. Either way, clearly we can't summon help in time to make a difference in the battle. The castle is most important to alert, but the village needs to be alerted also.
I'll split this into a separate thread, which will in all likelihood be joined by the others once they catch up:

4: Terror in the Mountains (Senichi)

SanguineAngel
Runner
Runner

#214 Post by SanguineAngel »

Koga's satisfaction in restraining the witch is short lived as he witnesses a dark fugue settle upon the other henin and feels a the pit of his stomach drop. The sole unoccupied henin's twisted, malicious gaze lands upon upon Aiko, who is already entangled with the mad old woman.

Reluctant to let the prisoner go, he drags her towards Aiko, determined to stop the man from harming his sister - though maddeningly. Too late, he realises that he cannot intercede and instead prepares to attack the man with the katana in his free hand as soon as he can.

ooc: apologies - seems I am always trying to do something funky. I am not sure what the rules around moving a restrained individual are. If it takes an action to move her then natually, I would not be able to attack this turn. Likewise, with no free hands - would it cost anything to unsheathe the katana? I would swipe it off with a flik of the blade but I am not sure if that'd be within the bounds of action economy here. And obviously, I imagine there might be a penalty to any attack I am able to make.

Sorry, also, for the lateness.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Starbeard »

Osaru the quiet ronin spins around and instinctively leaps toward the nearest enemy. Just behind him he meets the old granny, who is now shaking with a feverous rage and lunging for Aiko! He folds his arm back while pivoting stance to his back leg, snapping a backhand cut across her torso that gets blocked by her arm. A spray of foul blood flies into the air!
(Old Granny takes 15 hits, dropping her to Wound Rank -2 and disabling her offhand arm.)

The demoniacal witch-granny reels and clutches onto her dagger, still lost in bloodlust. She stabs and stabs at Aiko, but cannot close the distance. A final leap for her throat and… the giant priest Shōe drives straight into her from the side with his wakizashi, stabbing deep into her shoulder!
(Old Granny takes 10 hits, bringing her to Wound Rank -4.)

Aiko's protective brother Koga watches the scene unfold, dragging himself and his captive with desperate speed. He quickly dislodges his blade from its scabbard and lets the sheath fall to the ground as he delivers a single cut that brings the possessed woman down for good.
(Old Granny misses against Aiko, and takes a 18 hits, dropping to "Dead." She will die with just a few more points of damage, and is likely to die anyway without treatment.)

Focusing on her own adversary, Aiko sidesteps the man throwing himself at her and gracefully ripostes his dagger thrust, channeling the momentum to slide her blade along his back arm and sever it at the elbow! Even in his wild craze, the cultist collapses and cannot bring himself to do more than clutch at his draining wound.
(Maho-tsukai #1 takes 34 hits and drops to "Down" with severed arm, before he can attack.)

Lost in the far end of the skirmish, Kenta faces off against the remaining cultist. Cool head clashes with heaving anger. The man cuts with his knife; Kenta deflects and steps back. The man steps to cut again; Kenta maneuvers again and stabs his arm cleanly with his naginata. But madness wins the day! The cultist ignores the pain, barreling forward letting the naginata cut even deeper into his flesh, hacking and hacking away at Kenta! The monk succumbs to a heavy wound and falls to the ground!
(Maho-tsukai #1 takes 14 hits and drops to Wound Rank -2; Kenta takes 15 hits and drops to "Down.")

Combat rolls…
Osaru
Kenjutsu 6k3: 7, 4, 4, 5, 2, 2 = 16, a hit!
Damage 5k2: [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 7 = 15 hits dealt!
The Old Mother is taken down to Wound Rank -2;3.
Offhand arm disabled, reducing her TN to be hit by 5.

Old Mother Maho
Attack 2k2 + Blood of Midnight spell 4k0 - Wounds 2k0: [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 1 = 7.
A miss!

Kenta
Attack 7k4 - Wounds 2k0: 9, 6, 6, 1, 5 = 26, a hit!
Damage 6k3 - Wounds 2k0: [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 7 = 14 hits dealt!
Maho-tsukai #1 reduced to Wound Rank -2;2.
Arm not disabled.

Aiko
Attack 6k3 - Wounds 2k0: 5, 3, 2, 8 = 16, a hit!
Damage 4k2 - Wounds 2k0 + Void Point 1k1: 3, 17, 14 = 34 hits dealt!
Maho-tsukai #2 reduced to Wound Rank "Down;4."
Arm severed, as "disabled" plus TN=5 if attacked from that side, unless taking full defense.

Maho-tsukai #2 (bloodlusted, attacking Aiko)
Down, no combat actions possible.

Shōe (randomly attacking Old Mother)
Attack 5k3: [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 6 = 21, a hit!
Damage 4k2: [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 6 = 10 hits dealt!
Old Mother dropped to Wound Rank -4;1.

Maho-tsukai #1 (bloodlusted, attacking Kenta)
Attack 3k3 + Blood of Midnight spell 4k0 - Wounds 2k0: [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 8, [1d10] = 2 = 17, a hit!
Damage: 3k2 + Blood of Midnight spell 4k0 - Wound 2k0: [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 5, [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 5 = 15 hits dealt!
Kenta is dropped to Wound Rank "Down;0."
Arm is not disabled.

Koga (attack Old Mother while holding Witch)
Iaijutsu 2k2 (with 2 raises): [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 7, 10's reroll: [1d10] = 8 = 25, a hit!
Damage: [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 8 = 18 hits dealt!
Old Mother dropped to "Dead;1."
She is mortally wounded, and will die after taking at least 5 more hits.

Witch (wounded, down, constrained by Koga)
Down, constrained, no combat actions possible.

INITIATIVE ROLLS FOR NEXT ROUND:
Shōe: [1d10+2] = 9+2 = 11
Osaru: [1d10+3] = 6+3 = 9
Kenta (-4 from wounds): [1d10+2] = 8+2 = 10 = 6
Aiko (-2 from wounds): [1d10+3] = 2+3 = 5 = 3
Koga: [1d10+2] = 1+2 = 3
Maho-tsukai #1 (-2 from wounds): [1d10+3] = 2+3 = 5 = 3
NEXT ROUND INITIATIVE ORDER
  1. Shōe
  2. Osaru
  3. Kenta (down, may only crawl, whisper, etc.)
  4. Aiko, Koga, Maho-tsukai #1 all tied

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: TN10, Init +2, naginata 7k4 (DR 6k3) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (6) Down;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Kitsune Shōe, Fox shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 5k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 2;5, Wnds (4) -0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F2 - A2 - W2 - E2
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), Init +2, daisho 2k2/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 5k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;6, Wnds (4) -2;0 | Void Pts 1/2 (crippled left arm; double heal rate)
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), Init +3, katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7 Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2

GreyWolfVT

#216 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru turns and assists Aiko with the man.

iaijutsu [1d10] = 9 [1d10] = 6 [1d10] = 6
[1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 7 [1d10] = 7
Re-roll for 10 [1d10] = 10
double re-roll [1d10] = 9
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Rex »

Kenta

Kenta will try and stop the blood loss.

I know this probably wont work, but its what he would try.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#218 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Recap for context: Still inhibited by her crippled arm, and with both the demonic old woman and a bloodlusted cultist bearing down on her, Aiko had been momentarily fearful for herself, but then Master Osaru had swiftly come to her aid. Trusting to the quiet Ronin's timely intervention, Aiko had sidestepped the old witch and left her for Osaru to deal with. Only just in time, Aiko had turned to focus on the cultist, narrowly avoiding his thrust with a graceful pivot before severing his arm at the elbow. Behind her, the old woman had reeled at Osaru's expert strike, missed Aiko, and then fallen under blows from Shoe and Koga, who had also arrived to help her.

Now: With both immediate threats dealt with, Aiko breathes a sigh of relief and looks around. The dangerous skirmish seems all but over. She briefly catches Osaru's eye and nods her head to him, in silent thanks.

... but then, she sees, the gentle giant Kenta is still fighting. He falls under a frenzied assault from the one remaining cultist and she cries out "Kenta!", spurring the others into action.

Concernedly, Aiko rushes over with them to Kenta's side.

ooc: Likely not needed (particularly after Ed's awesome throw for Osaru!) but, should others fail to dispatch the cultist, I have rolled for Aiko's attack.

Kenjutsu 6k3 -2k0 is 4k3 (no raises): [1d10] = 4, [1d10] = 1, [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 6

Exploding 10: [1d10] = 7

Damage 4k2-2k0=2k2: [1d10] = 7, [1d10] = 4

So, if needed, that would be 27 to hit for 11 damage.

ooc note: Largely immaterial, but I should think the old woman is well and truly dead at this point, as I think you missed that she had already taken 11 hits from Aiko in the previous round before getting diced by everyone else.

Final note: I think Aiko should be at 0/2 void now, as she just used the one she had for her damage roll.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Starbeard »

Captain Kinkajou wrote:ooc note: Largely immaterial, but I should think the old woman is well and truly dead at this point, as I think you missed that she had already taken 11 hits from Aiko in the previous round before getting diced by everyone else.

Final note: I think Aiko should be at 0/2 void now, as she just used the one she had for her damage roll.
Absolutely correct on both counts. Thanks for catching those oversights! I’ve corrected the Void point error in the previous post, and will amend the narrative so that the old woman is slain when/if I get around to it.

The great Kenta falls to the ground with a thud that shakes the snowy earth, drawing the attention of his comrades in arms. The maho-tsukai towers above him, heedless of the terrible wound in his arm and holding his bloody knife like an addiction.

… But before he has the chance to drive it home, Osaru takes six surefooted steps right to his side and another step beyond, moving his katana in a wide underbelly arc. The ronin freezes in place at the end of his cut, flinging the blood from the steel with subtle grace. Behind him, the maho-tsukai topples to the ground like a house of cards, his arm falling from his body and torso spilling open into his tunic.

Sensing that he is now safe, Kenta steadies his frantic pulse and chants the Diamond Sutra of Invulnerability until his mind is calm and the blood ceases to flow from his wound.
(Kenta predictably failed his Medicine roll due to -4k0 from wounds, but is now capable of supporting himself for slow walking, taking simple actions, etc.)

You now stand silent amid a bloodbath. Black smoke from Yiki’s smoldering pyre wafts through the scene, and the remaining eta are nowhere in sight, having fled in terror. Taking advantage of the distraction, the woman held in Koga's grasp reaches feebly for a discarded dagger to end her own life, but proves too weak and injured to complete the task before Koga jerks her back.

Actions?

Combat rolls…
Osaru attacking maho-tsukai… 45 to hit
Damage: [1d10] = 10, [1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 2, [1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 1, 10's reroll: [1d10] = 10, 10's reroll: [1d10] = 8total 37, taking him well past the Dead.

…No more rolls to make after that!

Kenta’s Intelligence+Medicine roll (-4k0), vs TN 15 (wounds taken): [1d10] = 1, failed

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: TN10, Init +2, naginata 7k4 (DR 6k3) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (6) Down;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 5k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;6, Wnds (4) -2;0 | Void Pts 0/2 (crippled left arm; double heal rate)

GreyWolfVT

#220 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru seeing Koga has the old woman under control will attempt to aid Kenta in getting up. "Come Kenta I will assist you, your foe is dealt with. I am honored to have saved your life."

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”