Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 3, On the Road: Arriving at Beiden Pass

#161 Post by Starbeard »

Eta Compound near Soft Wind Village, Beiden Pass [map]
Early Afternoon (Hour of the Horse)
"Evening Day" in High Week, 3rd of Long Month [calendar]
Weather is mostly pleasant and clear

The party ponders the scene from afar, not wanting to interrupt. The religious quietly formulate prayers for the dead. The death of such a lowly serf, whose life value is not even comparable to yours, lays bare the unfathomable mysteries of the Great Cosmic Wheel. This funeral is not the end for this serf, but only the start of new life in another time. Perhaps he was a noble animal in the last life; if he lived well, perhaps he will be born into a higher station in the next. Perhaps he managed to utter the secret mantra of Koharu Buddha, who shuns the slow steps of the Wheel, and is now already a saint in the Pure Land.

Your thoughts of a better next life do not last long: when the ceremony is over and Koga approaches with a humble command of his station, you see the dead man's clothes carefully folded next to the pyre. You recognize them immediately as the clothes of the senile practitioner of black magic you encountered so briefly yesterday, before his horrific demise in the hands of Gekido.

As you make yourselves known, the villagers are taken aback and practically cower, throwing themselves to the floor and covering the animistic talismans of their peasant religion. This reaction is expected: usually, the only reason samurai have go visit an eta slum is to tax and execute until their honor is satisfied. A gnarled middle-aged man, with skin so harsh you imagine you could grate radishes with it, finally takes the initiative and greets you nervously. His uncouth accent is nearly impenetrable, and you aren't even sure you're speaking quite the same dialect.

The ball is in your court. The eta will simply lie prostrate without even deigning to ask who you are or why you are there, knowing that many samurai have a very broad view of the law codes that allow them to execute eta on the spot for the "crime of presumption."

Actions?

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: TN10, Init +2, naginata 7k4 (DR 6k3) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Kitsune Shōe, Fox shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 5k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 2;5, Wnds (4) -0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F2 - A2 - W2 - E2
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), Init +2, daisho 2k2/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 5k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;6, Wnds (4) -2;0 | Void Pts 1/2 (crippled left arm; double heal rate)
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), Init +3, katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7 Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#162 Post by ffilz »

It's been so long I forget how honor and glory gains work... In my char sheet I have Glory 1;4 and Honor 3;1.

Would it be out of place to ask about the odd things going on hereabouts?
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#163 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru speaks up "I am a ronin so be it known I am not here to add any tax or perform any execution. We are here for another manner in which I will allow the others above my station to discuss."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Starbeard »

ffilz wrote:It's been so long I forget how honor and glory gains work... In my char sheet I have Glory 1;4 and Honor 3;1.

Would it be out of place to ask about the odd things going on hereabouts?
Glory Rank is basically social status, from 0 (peasant) to 10 (emperor). Theoretically you can go in the other direction into negative ranks (outlaws). Once you reach 10 points, you go up a rank. It's main purpose is to determine what your responsibilities are, whether you can tell an NPC what to do, etc.

Honor is like alignment, and also has 10 points per rank, but only goes from Rank 0 to Rank 5. It usually gets used as a saving throw (you can also voluntarily roll an Honor test to avoid actions that would cause Honor loss, but if you fail then you lose even more Honor points), and some school techniques use your Honor rank as a bonus.

So this reward would bring you up to Glory 1;5 (or Rank 1, with 5 boxes ticked) and Honor 3;2.

As for asking about town rumors and gossip, I don't think it will be out of place here, at least for the sake of moving the game along. We can just assume that you know how to talk shop in this environment, and the normal reaction rolls and scenario guidelines will determine how they take it.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#165 Post by ffilz »

Ok, thought I had the numbers right but wanted to confirm...

Yes, we will ask about the rumors we've heard and the experiences we've had.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

SanguineAngel
Runner
Runner

#166 Post by SanguineAngel »

Koga does his best to behave with as much respect as possible, though is brusque as one must be to get answers from Hinin, "You are Yiki? Please, stand - I take no pleasure in seeing Hinin debase themselves as others might. We are here simply to discuss local spiritual matters and have only limited time. We are concerned with the Sakemono - though you might know it as the Howling Strange - and with the spirits of these woods. I understand you have recently stopped supplying wood to the village. Tell me why, and be frank. You should know I have little patience for dissembling now." Though he has maintained a respectful distance, and has not mentioned their funrual right as a generosity, Koga will not offer condolences. (As I do not think it would be proper to do so.)

Through the course of this conversation Koga would seek to address three points, in the following order: Why have they stopped providing wood to the village? How do they protect themselves from Sakemono? What happened to the man they have buried? (I would not, initially, reveal our knowledge regarding his fate). Don't know if you would seek to wrap those points up or do an extended conversation.

I am also not sure what the appropriate check for this would be - whether it would be Awareness, Ettiquette, Investigation or something else? So I won't roll in case!

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#167 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko remains somewhat distant as Koga brusquely demands the peasants answer his questions. She feels some pity towards them at her brother's stern manner and might otherwise have softened his demeanour with a gentle word or touch, but the funeral of the old madman is a distasteful reminder of the Oni that crippled her. Pain throbs oppressively in her useless arm. Surely these peasants knew something. It seemed unlikely they were entirely innocent of the blood magic that had bound Gekido to the old man. Perhaps more than Koga, she wanted to know what they would say and how it was connected to whatever was going on here.

RotFuchs
Scout
Scout

#168 Post by RotFuchs »

Shoe stays with Koga and waits to listen Yiki and other rumors about the village's myths.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Starbeard »

Senichi
Beiden Hill Manor, Beiden Pass [map]
Evening

Okay, big wall of text coming up!

A couple of rolls later… you learn quite a lot. I’ll summarize here what you pick up as you share your story in conversations around the room.

About Soft Wind Village (where the party is staying): It is on the very borders of the province, right up against Lion territory, so Lord Nasu really only has anything to do with them when it's time to collect taxes (which are firm but fair, since they bring in some good money and repute). He seems really irritated about this though, and once again swears to build up the power and influence to one day flout his might wherever he likes in Beiden Pass without the Lion being able to do a damned thing about it.

About Sakemono: The samurai of the castle seem just as jittery about the Strange Howling. Their historical anecdotes seem more consistent and informed, but generally have the same features. The Strange Howling would haunt the pass for several weeks, sending nightmares (mostly to young people of questionable morality), until it selected its victim. The victim would then stay out all night glutting on vices, remembering nothing but nightmares, occasionally murdering their latest paramour. When the victim was finally spent, Sakemono would leave their body in a blaze of violence: gouging out their own eyes, cutting off their hand, and generally running amok until killed.

The oldest samurai in the room muses that as a boy, the court scribe told him about the old daimyos of Beiden Pass centuries ago, when it was ruled by the Lion. The daimyo Akodo Omoera, the scribe told him, had offended the Wind God of the Pass, and that's what Sakemono is: the Wind God boiling up in anger again. What it was that happened between Omoera and Sakemono, only the spirits and probably the historians of the Phoenix Clan know.

About the vision the priestess had in Kakita Castle: There is some discussion about the vision, and it is guessed that she was likely seeing the souls that inhabit the Lake of Sorrows to the east. Beiden Pass has seen more battles than anywhere else in the Empire's history, and the Lake holds the ghosts of those countless warriors who have not passed into the next life. There is only a single village on the lake, Pure Green Water Village, which is where some of the activities are held for the Festival of Sorrowful Passing… but that place is nothing but a sleepy fishing hamlet with never any news.

About the oni you encountered: They are surprised, shocked and appalled. There's a bit of speculation, but Lord Nasu quickly shuts down the gossip by saying he won't have that kind of talk tainting the table. Lady O-Chizu, however, quietly informs you that there have been rumors of demon-worshippers gathering in the Pass, which have been a growing concern of hers… but only on the South side of the Pass, not in the north where you were. Lord Nasu is a staunch traditionalist who believes that even speaking about Tainted matters is unclean, so while she would readily appreciate any help in rooting out such evil, best to keep it quiet for fear of upsetting Nasu's infamously mercurial temper.

After all of that, you retire (or continue pursuing matters if something there caught your eye), and the next morning prepare to depart with the court shugenja back to the village.

登場人物
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 4k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;2, Wnds (4) -3;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F3 - A2 - W3 - E2 (double heal rate)
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, Init +1, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;7 - Gl 0;0 - Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
Last edited by Starbeard on Fri May 08, 2020 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Starbeard »

I'll post for the rest of the party tomorrow, it's late and the laptop's running out of juice!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Starbeard »

Osaru speaks up. The eta risk a glance in his direction and notice his threadbare clothes and ronin demeanor, and know he is speaking the truth. However, the idea that you would be here for "another matter" seems to fill them with even more anxiety.

Koga takes the cue to assume leadership, and states his case aggressively, but without disrespect. The peasant at the front slowly rises, and states nervously, "No my lord, I am not him. Yiki is my father, there." He points to the embers of the funeral pyre. "We have just laid him to rest."

Seeing that the game is up about the enchanted wood, he drops again to his knees and weeps a confession. "We have not been dishonest! The wood was our only means of living! Ask the Headman, he will tell you. The village was happy for our arrangement!"
It occurs to Koga that the Headman had every legal right simply to take the wood for himself, or at require the eta to demonstrate where to find it. He certainly didn't seem softhearted about them either, which rules out charity.

When pressed further, all the man can say is, "Identifying the right trees requires great skill, so that only we can do it," and then, "But we can't anymore, because we have… forgotten how." Regarding Sakemono, his explanation is that they "try to venture out on the nights he does not roam."

Aiko has skill ranks in Shugenja Lore and Investigation, so based on her actions, she makes a discovery of her own…
Still engulfed in pain, Aiko's mind wanders over to the oni Gekido, its haunting words about the old man Yiki, and the implicit complicity of the eta village… and she notices something worrying about the person who had been tending the pyre—a rough, sinewy woman, more or less the same age as Yiki's son. As the woman kneels prostrate toward the back of the group, part of her arm is left exposed from her sleeve, and Aiko can see the scar of a mark exactly like what was seen on Yiki. The woman notices this as well, and quickly tucks her arm back into the sleeve; she furtively glances up, locking eyes with Aiko for just an instant… but Aiko thinks she was able to pass it off like she was not paying attention.
Aiko's Acting is 4k3, -2k0 from her wounds, vs. the eta woman's Awareness x 5 (=15):
[1d10] = 3, [1d10] = 10
10's reroll: [1d10] = 10
10's reroll: [1d10] = 8
Total 28!

The eta woman's Investigation is 3k3, vs. Aiko's Awareness x 5 (=15):
[1d10] = 9, [1d10] = 6, [1d10] = 6
Total 21!

Both succeeded at the same TN (15), so Aiko wins the tie because she rolled higher.

The woman seems unaware that Aiko saw her body scars.
Actions?

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: TN10, Init +2, naginata 7k4 (DR 6k3) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Kitsune Shōe, Fox shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 5k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 2;5, Wnds (4) -0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F2 - A2 - W2 - E2
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), Init +2, daisho 2k2/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 5k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;6, Wnds (4) -2;0 | Void Pts 1/2 (crippled left arm; double heal rate)
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), Init +3, katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7 Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#172 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko is uncertain what to make of what she has seen, other than that there is at least one here who knows more than they are telling. The sight of the young woman's scar and the reminder that others here are likely complicit in Yiki's blood sorcery, and thus in what happened to her, causes pain and anger to flare inside of her. She pushes through it and the throbbing in her arm, stepping forward and up alongside Koga.

As she passes between Osaru and Kenta, she whispers softly, "The woman tending the pyre, watch her."

Once she is standing beside her brother, she seeks to apply more pressure to Yiki's son to see what that brings forth. While doing so, she continues to pretend that she has not seen the woman's scar, but tries to keep one eye on her and her reactions.

"There are too many secrets being kept here eta," Aiko declares fiercely, her hand resting on her katana. It is not hard to project a veiled threat, it is true that her patience is running thin. She moves around behind Yiki's son, her words focused on him but intended for all those present, particularly the woman. "It offends me that you would try to conceal the truth from us. If you do not wish to lose your head, I would have you tell us everything. But first, let me tell you something that may loosen your tongue. On our way here, as we were climbing up into the pass, we found ourselved caught in a violent snowstorm and at its heart came upon a huge and fearful monster, a four-eyed, dog-headed creature with a long segmented body. This terrible demon was devouring a man, its former master, and delighting in having won its freedom from the one who had for so long enslaved it with hatred and blood magic."

Aiko pauses and flexes her fingers on her katana as a reminder to everyone of what's at stake.

"I'm sure it would not surprise you to learn that the man being devoured, the demon's master, was your father. Do not insult us by attempting to deny it. So, I am left to wonder what hatred would drive him to such action? What schemes could he seek to further by binding an oni? And, how might the monster have won its freedom? Was your father a victim of Sakemono or of his own folly? What is going on here and what was he doing out there? Speak up. Tell us all that you know, for my patience runs thin."
Last edited by Captain Kinkajou on Mon May 18, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Rex »

Kenta

Kenta shifts his Naginata slightly, trying to silently remind the villagers of its presence and deadliness. He looks down on them from his towering height and scowls. At the same time he keeps his eyes moving over all the villagers, centering on the scarred woman so she is always at least a bit in his range of vision. He mentally plans out a path of attack so that he is prepared if need be to attempt to take her out quickly.

GreyWolfVT

#174 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru decides to go back to his quiet ways being that the last time he opened his mouth it made the locals more nervous.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Starbeard »

The Rest of the Party

Aiko comes forward and deliberately lays out the stakes. She outright accuses the village of harboring a practitioner of Fu Leng's black magic, a lawful and moral crime as unforgivable as uttering the unspeakable rites themselves.

Yiki's son breaks, and begins to spill the beans with melodramatic flair. "We had no choice! Yiki was a magician's slave, and the village headman knew all along! But we are innocent, we refused to tarnish ourselves! They brought Gekido! They worshipped with Yiki!" He moves to point an accusing finger into the crowd, but a frail and ancient woman somewhat behind him (and not far from Aiko) lunges toward him with unexpectedly frightening speed and strength, catching everyone off guard. She drives a knife into his back with a manic vengeance that cares nothing for the bonds of family.

The scene erupts into chaos as all ten eta scramble! You can tell that some are fleeing in terror and some are bent on harm, but you cannot tell immediately which is which—except for the old granny, and the scarred woman in the back, who is frantically cutting her arm with a concealed dagger and uttering the unclean words of some abominable spell!

Actions?!

At the start of this combat, here are your dispositions against the known assailants:
  • Old woman:
    • Aiko is already in melee range to attack.
    • Koga and Kenta can move into melee and attack this round.
    • Osaru can move into melee this round if he passes an Athletics check vs TN 10, otherwise he will move this round and join melee next round).
  • Younger woman:
    • Koga can move into melee this round.
    • Everyone else can move into melee this round with an Athletics check vs TN 15.
  • Crowd:
    • Everyone has at least one random villager they can engage this round.

登場人物

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Starbeard »

Senichi
Beiden Hill Manor, Beiden Pass [map]
Evening
"Death Day" in High Week, 4th of Long Month [calendar]

(4 hits healed overnight)

The day breaks to the same generally pleasant weather for this season, and you venture out of the castle with your escort. The party consists of Lord Nasu's court magician (a Third Rank shugenja from the Scorpion Clan School), and two samurai guards, both of whom are flying flags with Nasu's banner on their backs. Everyone is on horseback. Even your servant Saburo is given a pony to use, though he is very awkward on it.

About halfway down the mountain back to the village, you are attacked! A shady cluster of bushes rustles and out lumber eight decaying corpses, each wearing a lacquer mask in the form of a white face. Your party can reach them in one turn on horseback (two turns on foot), but they can only move at about half that speed.

The shugenja orders his samurai to fan out, but not attack yet. He dismounts, unfurls a scroll and begins to cast Tempest of Air (casting time 2 turns).

Actions?

登場人物
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 4k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;2, Wnds (4) -2;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spells: F3 - A2 - W3 - E2 (double heal rate)
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, Init +1, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;7 - Gl 0;0 - Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Rex »

Last edited by Rex on Wed May 20, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT

#178 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru tries to make a move to get to the old woman concerned about whatever spell she may be preparing.

Been so long I can't recall what to roll for Athletics check.

Edit: Athletics Roll [1d10] = 8 [1d10] = 5 [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 4 [1d10] = 7
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Wed May 20, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#179 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

ooc: Hi Ed, I believe Osaru's Athletics is 5k3 (Athletics skill 2 and Agility stat 3), so that's roll 5d10 and total the highest 3 aiming to get 10 or more or 15 or more, depending on whether you're trying to reach the old woman or the young scarred woman. I wasn't clear from your post which it was.

The old woman (TN10) knifed Yiki's son with surprising speed and strength, while the young scarred woman at the back (TN15) is the one who may be trying to cast a spell. So maybe you meant to write "young woman" rather than "old woman" in your post, in which case it's TN15.

Hope that helps.

GreyWolfVT

#180 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Thanks Bruce. I edited my post above to add the roll.

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”