Choose: Shelter-wise or strong drink-wise

"Jaded" is like 'tired'?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#102 Post by drpete »

From the game text:
Jaded - The adventuring life hardens some and makes them callous. This protects them from the folly of youthful ideals and heroism, but it also makes them dismissive of new ideas.

Or, from the internet:
If you've done something so much that it doesn't excite you anymore but just leaves you tired, consider yourself jaded.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by Enoch »

shroomofinsanity wrote:Question for the class, whats a good way to word a wise that is about having a knack about if a mushroom, berry, etc. is safe to eat/poisonous? I think that will be my second wise, but im having trouble with coming up with a clever name for that.
One option would be "Is It Safe To Eat-wise"! Torchbearer does love its flavorful names (if you'll forgive the pun). You could use that on any test for scavenging for food, deciding whether to cook a monster, and of course on Cooking tests.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by Enoch »

rossik wrote:i posted, but i dont know how to finish it. what are home skills?
I believe what you're talking about is the free skill you get for your Home Town. Have you chosen a hometown yet?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by Enoch »

Also, if everyone could please post when you make a decision for a step, and what it is, that would be very helpful. For example, "I chose for my hometown skill Scavenging". It will really help me make sure everyone's character is complete and speed up the process of auditing the characters and thus get us started a lot faster. We've got a bunch of people rushing ahead and not clearly indicating what decisions they've made, and I'll have to go through and try to reason those decisions out before we go anywhere.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by Enoch »

Rossik, what steps have you completed so far? I am happy to help, but it's not entirely clear where you are in the steps.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#107 Post by rossik »

Enoch wrote:
rossik wrote:i posted, but i dont know how to finish it. what are home skills?
I believe what you're talking about is the free skill you get for your Home Town. Have you chosen a hometown yet?
the dwarven halls

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#108 Post by Enoch »

OK. It looks like you've chosen your hometown skill (Stonemason) and trait (Cunning) as well. You've also picked your wises (although as Marullus noted, you'll have to switch Dwarven Chronicles-wise for either Shelter-wise or Strong Drink-wise; that's my fault for not noting that Oathbreakers don't use the standard dwarven wises).

It looks like you're working on your Nature now, which is great! Your "Nature" is essentially how stereotypically "dwarven" you are. A high Nature is great because whenever you do anything related to Delving (tunneling, exploring caves, etc.), Crafting, or Avenging a Grudge, if you don't have the appropriate skill, you'll use your Nature instead. On the other hand, it's easier to learn new skills with a lower Nature.

"Jaded" typically means "tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something." Here's the thing about Traits: as long as they're somewhat related, you can use them. They can be used to help you ("I've been scavenging my whole life, and I'm pretty Jaded about it" to help with a Scavenging test) or to hurt you and gain a bonus later ("I'm scavenging, but I'm pretty Jaded about it, and therefore not putting much effort in").

Having more Traits is good. Whether it's better to have +1 Nature or an additional Trait is a bit of a coin toss. I'd suggest simply deciding which sounds more interesting to you for each question. The house rules makes the choice pretty balanced either way.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Marullus »

Rossik,
No need to panic. :) Now that you know what Jaded means, just pick one from each pair of descriptors below. This is just preference and roleplay - they're all mechanically equal. Just describe your guy.
Marullus wrote: Choose: Honorable or Jaded.
Choose: Fearless or Foolhardy.

Choose: Shelter-wise or strong drink-wise

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#110 Post by rossik »

done!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Marullus »

...you should answer it in this thread. ;)

Here's your answers. I am going to help you update you sheet in the post below so you can just click "Quote" and copy it, then paste it to replace what you out in the other thread.
rossik wrote:Name: Durganor

Wises: Goblin-wise, Shelter-wise

Relationships:
Close friend: Baltor, a laborer of the mines.
Parents: dead. First mom, then dad. Both by goblin raids
Mentor: Old Myrtha, a aged female dwarf scavenger.
Enemy: Gunthor Stone Hammer, from the Concil.

Nature: 4

Dwarf Nature Questions
- would tally your losses and move on to greater challenges
- Jaded.
-Would plunge ever deeper into the bones of the earth
looking for treasures untold
- Foolhardy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Marullus »

NAME: - Durganor

CONDITIONS
Fresh: +1D to all tests until new Condition

CLASS/STOCK: - Dwarf Oathbreaker
LEVEL: 1
Benefits: Use any weapon except two-handed swords, lances and bows. You may wear leather, hide and helmets. As many oathbreakers are former soldiers, their level benefits come from the dwarf adventurer and human warrior level benefits, in addition to some class-specific benefits.
ALIGNMENT: - Unaffiliated
ORDER OF MIGHT: 3
RAIMENT: - a varied assortment of wild animal furs and hides.

BELIEF: -
GOAL: -
INSTINCT: -

RELATIONS
HOME: - Dwarven Hold
PARENTS: - (Deceased) First mom, then dad. Both by goblin raids
MENTOR: - Old Myrtha, a aged female dwarf scavenger.
FRIENDS: - Baltor, a laborer of the mines.
ENEMIES: - Gunthor Stone Hammer, from the Council.
TRAITS & WISES
TRAIT: - Born of Earth and Stone
TRAIT: - Cunning
TRAIT: - Jaded
TRAIT: - Foolhardy

WISE: - Goblin-wise
Advancement: -
WISE: - Shelter-wise
EXPERIENCE POINTS
CURRENT FATE: 0
SPENT FATE: 0 / 3
Spend Fate to reroll all 6's as new dice, or reroll a single failed die related to your Wise.
CURRENT PERSONA: 0
SPENT PERSONA: 0 / 3
Spend Persona to tap Nature, or add +1D to a test, or reroll all failed dice on a test related to your Wise.
CHECKS: 0
Checks allow you to make Camp and recover from Conditions.
ABILITIES
WILL: - 3
HEALTH: - 5
NATURE: 4 / 4
Descriptors: - Delving, Crafting and Avenging a Grudge.
RESOURCES: 0
CIRCLES: 4
SKILLS
ALCHEMIST: Will
ARCANIST: Will
ARMORER: Health
CARPENTER: Health
CARTOGRAPHER: 2
COMMANDER: Will
COOK: Will
CRIMINAL: Health
DUNGEONEER: Health
FIGHTER: 1
HAGGLER: Will
HEALER: Will
HUNTER: 3
LABORER: 2
LORE MASTER: Will
MANIPULATOR: 2
MENTOR: Will
ORATOR: Will
PATHFINDER: 2
PEASANT: Health
PERSUADER: Will
RIDER: Health
RITUALIST: Will
SAILOR: Health
SCAVENGER: 3
SCHOLAR: Will
SCOUT: 2
STEWARD: Will
STONEMASON: 2
SURVIVALIST: 2
THEOLOGIAN: Will
WEAVER: Will
EQUIPMENT & INVENTORY
HEAD: -
NECK: - Heirloom Item (1D Treasure)

HANDS (worn): -
HANDS (worn): -
HANDS (carry): -
HANDS (carry): - Lantern

TORSO: - satchel
TORSO: - hide armor
TORSO: - (hide armor)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Flask of Oil (x2)
BACKPACK: -

BELT (pouch): - Preserved Rations (x3)
BELT (weapon): - Hand Axe
BELT (skin): - Wine
FEET: - Dwarfy Boots
MAGIC & MIRACLES
None.
Special Notes:
Hide Armor
Thick armor made from pelts, skins, shells or scales.
When targeted by a successful Attack or Feints in a kill,
capture or drive off conflict, roll a 1d6. On a 3+ you
reduce the thrust by -1s. Spears, bolts and arrows negate
this effect. In warm weather, wearing hide armor counts
as a fatigue factor to recover from the exhausted condi-
tion.
Cost: Ob 2, if available
Armorer factor: Ob 1
Inventory slots: Torso/worn 2

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Marullus »

Okay, Rossik, tell us a story. We want to know a little more about your guy. :) Our next steps are about his beliefs and instincts, so tell us what makes him tick. You have good stuff to work with so far...

He broke a promise. A BIG Promise or Oath. It got him kicked out of the dwarven halls in dishonor, maybe involved his parents death, and results in Gunthor Stone Hammer the Councilman hating him. We also know that he isn't Dwarfy enough to pursue a grudge about it, and you chose that he rolls on and forgives because, really, he's Jaded about it. What can you tell us about it?

You have a valuable heirloom you wear around your neck. You've kept it no matter how poor you've gotten. What is it?

For some reason you are a really, really horrible fighter right now. Thankfully it is temporary (after you succeed in a real fight, you will start to recover.) We also know that your nature is strong and you delve deep without fearing the consequences. (Also, you are just straight-up Foolhardy sometimes.) What is afflicting you? Did you lose your nerve for fighting after a bad experience? Are you nursing a long-term injury (like a bum knee)?

You are a fairly good Hunter of wild game and Scavenger of people's trash. You keep warm and protected by wearing armor of hides and furs layered thick and deep. You were mentored by another hobo, Old Myrtha, a aged female dwarf. What is your signature look? Do you have some kind of hat? Distinctive accessories or shoes?

Thinking across these things, life has been hard on him. What are the main beliefs that keep him going? If he had to pick one thing to hold on to - what is it?

(Just post answers here in this thread)

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#114 Post by rossik »

Durganor was from the Rockgate clan, tradicional for guarding gates. After losing both parents to goblin raids, Durganor got terrible nightmares with those creatures for year. One day, he was suppose to guard the side gates lonely (for just a moment, as his comrade went to attend the "nature's call"), and suddenly a small pack of goblins tried to breach the gates. He tried to resist the urge to run, but when he saw one of the goblins wearing a dwarf flesh mask resembling his mother, he had to run away. That caused the loss of 2 other dwarf guards, who got attacked by surprise. One of the guards were related to Gunthor.

The raiders were defeated, as was Durganor spirit. He run away from the Dwarven Halls, never to be seen again.

He had abandoned his clan name, but still uses the iron key he got from his father, during the initiation ritual. He uses it as a necklace, hidden under his beard.

Durganor knows he can still fight. Its in his blood. But for know he feels it thin and weak as a whisper. But the flame still there, waiting to burst.

Lonely, hungry and confused, he found Old Myrtha, who taught him the "ways of the rats", as she called it. It was the skills to survive in this dread world, and he learned it all. He even got the "graduation bracelet", made with rat tails.

Durganor desires little of life itself, but he knows there are things more incredible than a albino pigeon. He wants to see it all, to embrace the weird of the world and to feast in the essence of dreams!

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by Enoch »

Wow, that is a cool and tragic character.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Choose Your Weapon

#116 Post by Enoch »

OK, let's keep rolling with character creation. We're actually almost done!

Step 10: Choose Your Weapon

Your choice of starting weapon is listed with your Stock. For the Oathbreaker, that's a Dagger or a Handaxe. If anyone else needs to know what their options are, let me know.

Combat, like everything else in this system, works a little differently than D&D. Instead of making to-hit rolls and rolling damage, it uses a sort of rock-paper-scissors system to determine what happens each round. All weapons do the same damage, but some are better at some actions than others. For example, battle axes are great at Attacking but not as good at Defending. Daggers can disarm opponents wielding certain weapons when they successfully Maneuver, hand axes count as both melee and ranged weapons, and shields grant bonuses to Defend.

It should be noted that shields are considered weapons, and are used in combat the same way a sword would be! Mechanically, you can only wield one weapon at a time (though I don't care if you narrate having a sword out; if you successfully Attack you can describe slashing your opponent with your sword instead of bashing him with your shield, but you'll get the mechanical bonus of the shield if that's what you say you're wielding, not the sword).
Last edited by Enoch on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Starting Armor

#117 Post by Enoch »

Step 11: Starting Armor

Like weapons, your Stock will list what your starting armor is, if any. (For the Oathbreaker you can choose either a) leather armor and helmet or b) hide armor.)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Starting Spell and Prayer Choices

#118 Post by Enoch »

Because these steps are relatively simple, I'm going to post a number of them.

Step 12: Starting Spell and Prayer Choices

This one can be a little more complex, but I believe all the players whose characters have access to spells or prayers are relatively familiar with them. If not, let me know and I will help you with how to choose!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Rex »

weapon, Wand
armor, none
spell, Arcane Semblance

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by Enoch »

By the way, we've only got two more steps that require much consideration (Alignment, on a simple Law/Neutral/Chaos axis, and Beliefs and Instincts), then the rest is super-simple!

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”