tpj
Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: The Pumpkin Lord of Lankshorn - ICC

#41 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Filius
"That's fine, then. I'll let you big folk take the lead. No arguments from me!"
Filius follows behind the other two, hanging back a bit and trying to save his dark vision. He'll keep an eye and ear on the tunnel behind, to be sure they aren't surprised from the rear.
Last edited by Koren n'Rhys on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by ybn1197 »

Bentley Marlow

Bentley lights a torch as well, keeping the light source low so as not to scorch the ceiling. "I would prefer to stay near the center of any grouping. My own frailties keep me from being of assistance should an immediate need arise."

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#43 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Filius

"That's fine. Just stay up ahead of me closer to the others. I'll bring up the rear."

polyhedral
Runner
Runner

#44 Post by polyhedral »

Savendra

She casts a glance at Bentley, and smiles. I'm not so tough myself, but for the shield of my faith, and -- she pats her shield -- something more tangible, in case the angels are preoccupied. I'll stand to the middle, and shield as I can.

Sorry I'm late! I recomputed my gold. I had 20 left, spent 19 on 7 days' rations, lantern, and oil during the elided town visit.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Urson »

Marcus
Taking the lead, Marcus moves forward at a slow walk, studying the floor of this tunnel/corridor for unusual things- tendrils that may be tripwires, out-of-place leaves, pumpkins that are the whole width of the corridor, anything. (Searching for traps, in other words).
FA FO

tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#46 Post by tpj »

So you can get your bearings, the entrance to the structure is on the west. The corridor initially runs north before turning.

So slowly make your way forward about 40' and follow as the corridor curves sharply south. You carefully inspect the walls, floor and ceiling but find nothing, just plant growth. You notice when one of your torchlights flickers close to a wall that the flame seems to make no difference to the vines.

As you proceed slowly southward around the bend, you see the source of the orange lights about 30' ahead -- an entrance off the eastern wall, while the corridor you're following continues south for about 10' and then curves eastward into the darkness.

As you peer carefully into the entrance, you see the orange lights are brighter. The entrance is a small corridor which runs about 20' northeast into a larger chamber. From within the chamber you can make out hundreds of small orange objects embedded in the walls and ceiling, each glowing brightly. One light seems to glow brighter than the others. From the distance the room appears empty apart from the glowing objects. You don't hear anything apart from the persistent low hum that permeates the entire structure. On the opposite side of the chamber is another corridor.

Actions? You can examine the large chamber, or continue south, or always turn around and run. :)

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#47 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Filius
"Do you all hear that incessant humming, or is it just me," mutters Filius as they move down the corridor. Reaching the side corridor, he spots the glowing orange light sources. "What are those? Worth a pretty penny I'll bet, and better than torches too."

Recordkeeping: Filius spent 15 of his own gold to replenish his iron rations. With Marcus' 2gp and 13gp from the advance on our payment, he buys 3 weeks worth of standard rations, giving a week each to Marcus, Bor and Bentley (Savendra having bought her own as well).

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Urson »

Marcus
Marcus tugs at his ear, trying to get rid of the hum- then stops when he realizes it's actually in the air. Imma going to look in that bright room. If you follow, don't waver from my path. He snuffs his torch, stowing it for later use. Then he creeps up to the doorway, cautiously scanning the room.
FA FO

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by rossik »

"Maybe those are fireflies, no?" call the barbarian, poking one of the orbs with his weapon

tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#50 Post by tpj »

As you move closer into the chamber, you verify it is empty save for the glowing objects. You notice the north tunnel continues about 20' forward and then turns west.

Bor pokes one of the tiny orbs and it dislodges from the vine, causing it to drop to the floor. It appears to be a tiny, marble-sized pumpkin, still glowing, but with a small dent where it struck the ground. It appears to have the same texture as a regular pumpkin and appears harmless.

The marble-sized pumpkins are arranged in some type of vaguely familiar pattern with one in particular glowing brighter than the others.

1d20 INT check at or below your INT score will jog your memory.

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by rossik »

The barbarian have no clue what this is, and stomps at the one he poked

[1d20] = 16

polyhedral
Runner
Runner

#52 Post by polyhedral »

Savendra

Savendra follows behind Marcus, studying the walls of the room, but touching nothing. She watches Bor knock the glowing pumpkin orb free, then turns to the brightest orb to study the pattern. What force could make this light, and who does it serve, I wonder?

Savendra is literate and has a bit of study in her background as part of her religious order, should she make the same INT check to see if the pattern is recognizable from somewhere?

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Filius
Following the others, Filius enters the room as well. The play of the lights is fascinating and he wonders just how he might replicate the effect. Shaking off the idle thought, he focuses on the task at hand. Curious how long the light will last if the tiny pumpkins are picked, he plucks two that he can reach and tucks them into one of the pouches at his belt.

The pattern of the lights does look familiar...
[1d20] = 5 vs. INT 9

tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#54 Post by tpj »

Filius and Savendra:
You both have a simultaneous realization -- several nights ago the sky was unusually clear and bright. Observing the tiny glowing pumpkins jogs your memory and you realize they are arranged in an identical pattern to the stars you saw twinkling in the crisp autumn sky.
Bor squashes the tiny pumpkin and it splatters on the ground brush, leaving a glowing goo in its wake.

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

Filius
With a gasp, Filius recognizes the pattern. "It's the stars - do you see it? The lights look just like the constellations at night..." He shakes his head in amazement. "I don't know what that means about his place, but it's interesting at least.

Is there anything else in the room? Do we continue onwards or go back to the main passage?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by ybn1197 »

Bentley sticks to the walls as the others investigate. The glowing orbs intrigue him, not for the pattern but for their luminescent qualities. Bentley makes his way over and picks three from the wall. He snuffs out his torch and places two of the pumpkin lights in his pack using the third to light his way.

tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#57 Post by tpj »

Koren n'Rhys wrote:Filius
Is there anything else in the room? Do we continue onwards or go back to the main passage?
There's nothing else that you can see or detect apart from the glowing pumpkins.

You can either explore the tunnel on the north side of the chamber or you can return the way you came and continue to explore south in the main passage. The light from the pumpkins illuminates the north tunnel about 20' and you can see it turns west/left.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Urson »

Marcus

They're stars? Amazing! Do you know what star this would be? He points to the one star brighter than the others.

He steps back, trying to visualize the constellation and identify that star.
[1d20] = 10 Int 12
FA FO

Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

(Good catch - I'd missed that...)

tpj
Tracker
Tracker

#60 Post by tpj »

Marcus
Marcus, being not an astronomer, is not able to discern which star the bright one might be. However he surmises that it must be important to whatever occupies this structure.

Return to “Dolmenwood Halloween Adventure (BX - Old-School Essentials)”